Is tipping optional??

jadzhea

The people who serve you on a ship work a lot of hours. Why would you want to stiff them? When you work don't you expect to be paid?

Tipping is part of the cost of cruising. It's how these hard working folks earn their money. Whether we like the way it's set up or not, that's how it is. If you can't afford the entire cost of cruising, don't cruise.

OP wasn't told about tipping before booking. it's her first cruise! Cut her a break! this is exactly the beef I have about tipping, it's unfair to spring this on people AFTER booking, it should be clearly explained before any reservations are made. Even the basic service charge adds up to $$$$$, and if you've stretched your budget to pay for the cruise and airfare, you can absolutely have sticker shock at this additional cost. I'm a big consumer advocate, and I don't believe in expensive surprises like this - nor is the OP's responsibility to search the web before cruising to learn about tipping. It's her TA's responsibility when quoting the cost of the trip, to add the info about tip cost, and that it is really mandatory, even though cruise lines pretend it isn't.

Since tipping is pretty much mandatory, my recommendation (tongue in cheek) is that every TA who takes a cruise booking and doesn't tell the pax about tipping should have to cover the tips themselves, out of their commissions! THAT would ensure pax know the true base cost of their cruise before booking it!

Also the comments about how OP will no doubt run up a big bill for optional stuff - if traveling on a budget, it is quite doable to have a zero bill other than the autotips, and have a wonderful time! If you don't buy drinks or sodas, don't do ship excursions, gamble, or buy souvenirs you can still have a great time! I've done it! In fact my last cruise I think our bill (other than autotips and future cruise reward certif) was around $100 for the week for two of us for soda card AND drinks, and maybe another $50 for duty-free which saves us $$. I could have gone without both without missing them.

I just had an idea - not sure whether or not you can do this, but it's worth investigating. It's possible to make a booking directly with a cruise line and then transfer it to a travel agent - well, at least here in the US and with NCL, because I have done it. I wonder whether it's possible to transfer a reservation from one travel agent to another? If it is - there is at least one website where travel agents compete for your cruise business. I'm not allowed to post websites here, but google for my phrase and you will find it. Use that! What ends up happening is that TAs will either discount the cruise price or offer you onboard credit, and the amount of credit can be quite substantial. It will, at a minimum, go a long way towards paying for the tips, because (again, at least on NCL) the daily service charge goes against the onboard credit!

I am an American and I have to say I agree with the Brits on this one. I completely understand where they are coming from. Many years ago, a tip was just that. You received good service-you gave a tip. Then restaurants and whoever decided that they could pay less because their staff was doing pretty good with tips. And the tips became an expectation. Don't get me wrong, cruises usually have the best service that a person can receive but sometimes that service is lacking and who wants to pay tips to that person. We were in Germany once and I was leaving the tip trying to figure out how much I should leave in Euros, when the waiter said that's plenty. I know I had already laid down less than 10% and felt I should leave more. He then began telling me how the Americans always tip too much and also which group doesn't ever tip. So I do think it is somewhat of a cultural thing

I just had an idea - not sure whether or not you can do this, but it's worth investigating. It's possible to make a booking directly with a cruise line and then transfer it to a travel agent - well, at least here in the US and with NCL, because I have done it. I wonder whether it's possible to transfer a reservation from one travel agent to another? If it is - there is at least one website where travel agents compete for your cruise business. I'm not allowed to post websites here, but google for my phrase and you will find it. Use that! What ends up happening is that TAs will either discount the cruise price or offer you onboard credit, and the amount of credit can be quite substantial. It will, at a minimum, go a long way towards paying for the tips, because (again, at least on NCL) the daily service charge goes against the onboard credit!

No, you can't just transfer from one TA to another and in particular in Britian.

as I said this is the way these people are paid. Its not salary it remuneration. if you leave less you are stiffing the employee for what ever excuse you have. Its not included in the fare. This is your responsibility to those who serve YOU. All the excuses in the world don't change that.

1. i wasn't told

2. I can't afford it.

3. they didn't change my sheets everyday(they don't unless you ask anyway)

4. I didn't like the food.

5. I didn't like the trip

what ever these are not the responsibility of the stewards or the waiters.

Not like the custom? don't cruise.

It is exceedingly rare that the people can't afford it anyway.

It generally works out to about 8-9 euros per day per person. For three plus meals and two servicing of your guest room. and BTW its also not true that Uk'ers don't tip...they tip at pubs(normally a drink to the bartender) and at meals they do leave something...and at the prices there as well 9-9 euros per day per person for all the above is NOT unreasonable. the employees generally do better with this method than if they were on straight salary. Do you really believe on the all inclusive lines people don't tip?

There is an expression, when in Rome, do as the Romans do. If you are taking a cruise out of a U.S. ports .. why should you expect Americans to subsidize your cruise? Its built into the cost to me, so if you arent tipping, either others have to make up your shortfall, or the cruiseline has to raise the price overall.

From what the OP said she would be cruising out of the U.S. If cruising out of the U.K... then use their tipping standards. .. but it is after all is said and done your own choice how much to tip. Even NCL, though I hear it is hard, you can remove the charge for tips/service charge as its now being called. As they start calling it a service charge, to me it gets harder and harder to justify having the charges removed.

1. I never said I wouldn't tip.

2. When I won this cruise nothing was said about have to pay $200 in tips, that is over $1200. in my money

3. I highly doubt as someone else said that the staff works for only $50 a day. I actually know two people who still work or used to work on cruise ships and although I have never asked the salary, the way they talk they salary was not that pitiful.

4. The word tip/gratuity means bonus, gift, token, unexpected extra. It does not mean salary. It is a little extra for what I deem to be exceptional service.

1. I never said I wouldn't tip.

2. When I won this cruise nothing was said about have to pay $200 in tips, that is over $1200. in my money

3. I highly doubt as someone else said that the staff works for only $50 a day. I actually know two people who still work or used to work on cruise ships and although I have never asked the salary, the way they talk they salary was not that pitiful.

4. The word tip/gratuity means bonus, gift, token, unexpected extra. It does not mean salary. It is a little extra for what I deem to be exceptional service.

I never said you wouldnt tip at all. You indicted you wanted to tip less .. I get that. What I meant was you cannot put the tips on your onboard account if you intend to tip less. They cannot be reduced. Its all or nothing. I tried once or twice to not tip the head waiter, as I never meet him on RCL.. they wouldnt remove one person's amount.

True .. the figure mentioned was $50 a MONTH .. not a day. That is their salary, but they get tips and a cabin to share, room and board. Ask your friends. They can confirm that most of their salary comes from tips if they are waiters or cabin stewards. Others like entertainers are paid differently.

Iv said 3 times now .. do what you want. You have already justified it in your mind .. why sit here and argue with us who do tip the recommended amount?? You obviously dont want to know what we think?

Is it the cruiselines fault that whomever you won the cruise from didnt tell you there were extra expenses possible.. go argue with whomever gave you the free cruise they should have told you you might spend extra money.

Trinichiqnan, can you sell the free cruise to someone else at a discounted price? You will get some $$ and they get a reduced price so they can make up the difference by tipping properly. Or if the full tip is a financial hardship perhaps you shouldn't go on the cruise.

True, it's unfair to crew not to be tipped, regardless of reason - but it's unfair to anyone to put them in a position of being obligated to spend hundreds of extra dollars without their knowledge or consent. Fair is fair. It's not OP's fault, or trinichiqn's fault, that they weren't told about the costs at the time they accepted the cruises.

FWIW I've seen lots of contests and vacation give-aways that had substantial extra costs associated with them. A free cruise is probably not in the same league as a lot of them, which were just come-ons for sales stuff, but there are many instances where the hidden costs of a "free" trip are high enough that a person who wouldn't have spent the $$ on the actual trip also is not in a position to pay those costs.

OP wasn't told about tipping before booking. it's her first cruise! Cut her a break! this is exactly the beef I have about tipping, it's unfair to spring this on people AFTER booking, it should be clearly explained before any reservations are made. Even the basic service charge adds up to $$$$$, and if you've stretched your budget to pay for the cruise and airfare, you can absolutely have sticker shock at this additional cost. I'm a big consumer advocate, and I don't believe in expensive surprises like this - nor is the OP's responsibility to search the web before cruising to learn about tipping. It's her TA's responsibility when quoting the cost of the trip, to add the info about tip cost, and that it is really mandatory, even though cruise lines pretend it isn't.

Since tipping is pretty much mandatory, my recommendation (tongue in cheek) is that every TA who takes a cruise booking and doesn't tell the pax about tipping should have to cover the tips themselves, out of their commissions! THAT would ensure pax know the true base cost of their cruise before booking it!

Also the comments about how OP will no doubt run up a big bill for optional stuff - if traveling on a budget, it is quite doable to have a zero bill other than the autotips, and have a wonderful time! If you don't buy drinks or sodas, don't do ship excursions, gamble, or buy souvenirs you can still have a great time! I've done it! In fact my last cruise I think our bill (other than autotips and future cruise reward certif) was around $100 for the week for two of us for soda card AND drinks, and maybe another $50 for duty-free which saves us $$. I could have gone without both without missing them.

Honestly!!! Are we babies? Must we have some nanny or caretaker tell us everything?

It would seem to me that a first time cruiser would be pouring over websites like CC and the cruise line website for all the information available.

The only excuse for not being informed is you can't read and your grasp of English is so poor that, if you can read, you are unable to grasp the meaning of the words.

Baloney.

Travelers don't take their own country's policies with them. The old saying is so true: When in Rome.....

The agent should, of course, advise their clients of the nature of cruising....however, all adults with a sound mind, is responsible for gathering their own informaiton.

Tipping is optional, but expected on a cruise. Pllan for it and add it to your budget. It's not a matter of what OP wants or thinks is wrong..it simply IS the way it IS....and don't ever visit any large American city where an automatic 15-20% gratuity is added to every bill...and you have no choice about it.

There are so many additional charges once you get onboard...unless OP does her research, she's in for a rude awakening.

Just think for one minute if none of us gave any tip the cruise Companies would have to do something.

Just think for one minute we don't ask these crew members to leave home for months at a time to serve us

Just think for one minute would you really cruise if you did indeed only got BAD service from a Cruise Company. for my money if I pay over £120 per day for a holiday I do expect good service.

I still will only give extra for great service. and would like to adjust for ordinary service. as I do not like being Blackmailed into rewarding others.

No, because they are paid a wage, I dont know what it is, but I should not be paying their wage with tipping, as that should be a little bonus, a perk of the job, and I said that because someone told me I was basically not entitled to use the facitlities on the ship, even thought I paid for the cruise!! How ridiculous!!

And just for you info, I never said I wasnt going to tip, please read my posts properly... Thanks:D

You have been told over and over on this thread that they are paid $50 a month in wages. (Please read the posts properly). If you were not paying their wage with tipping, you'd be paying it with a higher fare. :rolleyes: If you do not like the way the cruiselines have set this up, perhaps you should not cruise or find a cruiseline that includes tipping in their price.

Honestly!!! Are we babies? Must we have some nanny or caretaker tell us everything?

It would seem to me that a first time cruiser would be pouring over websites like CC and the cruise line website for all the information available.

The only excuse for not being informed is you can't read and your grasp of English is so poor that' date=' if you can read, you are unable to grasp the meaning of the words.

Baloney.

Travelers don't take their own country's policies with them. The old saying is so true: When in Rome.....

The agent should, of course, advise their clients of the nature of cruising....however, all adults with a sound mind, is responsible for gathering their own informaiton.

Tipping is optional, but expected on a cruise. Pllan for it and add it to your budget. It's not a matter of what OP wants or thinks is wrong..it simply IS the way it IS....and don't ever visit any large American city where an automatic 15-20% gratuity is added to every bill...and you have no choice about it.

There are so many additional charges once you get onboard...unless OP does her research, she's in for a rude awakening.[/quote']

G'ma, why should the tips be kept a secret at the time of booking? Why NOT disclose them? I agree that due diligence is a good thing BUT--when making a large financial commitment, normal business practice is to show the total bill up front at the time the contract is signed, so you know what you are spending.

There is a mindset here that if a first time cruiser is suprised by tips, it is their fault. I beg to differ. It is the responsibility of the salesperson - be it the cruiseline or the TA - to inform the cruiser of the final FIXED, PREDICTABLE COST, and the daily tip/service charge IS A PREDICTABLE COST! I'm not saying they should say "....and your optional expenses for photos, drinks, excursions, etc will be $xxx" which would be ridiculous.

Tipping is an expectation by the cruiselines so they can get away with stiffing their employees. Period. it's a responsibility which belongs with them as an employer that's been pushed off onto pax in the interest of higher profits. Fine, that's how it is, once you know about it you either include it as part of your trip budget or you don't cruise. But it's unfair for the TA or cruiseline to say "your total is $xxxx" when that excludes tips.

When you buy a car, the papers you sign include ALL mandatory purchase costs. You don't sign for the car and then two weeks later get a bill for several hundred dollars for registration or state taxes. When you buy a house, once again all mandatory costs related to purchase are disclosed at settlement. When you commit to a mortgage, all costs are shown to you and you have to sign that you have seen them. It's not assumed that the buyer will dig through the fine print on a website or magically find "mortgage critic" or "car critic" and read about registration fees or mortgage broker commissions, they are just disclosed.

When you book plane tix, once again all MANDATORY costs show up right before you actually book. Rental car - same thing. Now yes, there are sneaky add-ons for both of these BUT THEY ARE OPTIONAL AND (at least for plane baggage fees) clearly disclosed at the time of booking.

The consensus here is that the daily service charge/tip IS NOT OPTIONAL. Staff depend on it to make a living wage. SO - WHY CONCEAL IT?

(my pet peeve about cruising - not so much the DSC as the way some TAs hide it so people like OP get surprised!)

Hmmmm... I am not baby nor am I stupid!!

I have never been on a cruise before, and quite frankly probably wouldnt want to go again even though I havent been yet. It now strikes me as quite an exclusive club with ettiquette and set rules to be followed, It would be easier having tea with the Queen

Yes, I am new to cruising, and no, I did not do any research before booking, to me it was just a holiday for my family.

I did not factor in the level of tipping that seems to be No1 rule in this club, and I am shocked. I think it is unfair to expect me and anyone else to be made to feel guilty about underpaid staff, and be expected to supplement a poor wage

Of course I will tip, but not what they tell me to, I will be on a budget and will not be spending £200 on bingo and £800 on excursions, as someone suggested!!! Who on earth does that... just because I am on a budget doesnt mean I am not entitled to cruise...

Like I stated before, If I decided to bring this up with Royal Carribean, I am sure they would still be more than happy to keep my money

You have been told over and over on this thread that they are paid $50 a month in wages. (Please read the posts properly). If you were not paying their wage with tipping, you'd be paying it with a higher fare. :rolleyes: If you do not like the way the cruiselines have set this up, perhaps you should not cruise or find a cruiseline that includes tipping in their price.

Perhaps cruiselines should require disclosure of the MANDATORY tipping at the time of booking. That would put an end to all of this nonsense.

Lots of arguments AGAINST including it in cruise fare, fine, don't include it. JUST DISCLOSE IT and don't put the burden on the buyer to learn that it exists by rummaging the Internet, which they may, or may not, do!

Hmmmm... I am not baby nor am I stupid!!

I have never been on a cruise before, and quite frankly probably wouldnt want to go again even though I havent been yet. It now strikes me as quite an exclusive club with ettiquette and set rules to be followed, It would be easier having tea with the Queen

Yes, I am new to cruising, and no, I did not do any research before booking, to me it was just a holiday for my family.

I did not factor in the level of tipping that seems to be No1 rule in this club, and I am shocked. I think it is unfair to expect me and anyone else to be made to feel guilty about underpaid staff, and be expected to supplement a poor wage

Of course I will tip, but not what they tell me to, I will be on a budget and will not be spending £200 on bingo and £800 on excursions, as someone suggested!!! Who on earth does that... just because I am on a budget doesnt mean I am not entitled to cruise...

Like I stated before, If I decided to bring this up with Royal Carribean, I am sure they would still be more than happy to keep my money

Jadzhea, you SHOULD bring up with RC that you were sold the cruise with no disclosure of the tipping requirement, if that is the case. That's a legitimate complaint. If you make an issue of tipping, RC will probably tell you how it's optional and if you aren't happy with the service you can have it removed - I'm sure ALL cruise lines are experts at justifying the autotips to unhappy pax, and like it or not, autotips are a reality of cruising. Where you were not treated properly is that you were sold a cruise but not properly informed about the total cost. Enough complaints ought to put a stop to that type of business practice.

Some of the AMERICAN'S on here need to get a grip. Tipping is NOT MANDATORY - IT IS SUGGESTED. Just as dressing properly in the MDR is SUGGESTED. I am more than willing to bet that most of you don't follow the same SUGGESTED dress code either.

When will you understand tipping is a choice as RCL makes it a choice. If they want to make it mandatory then by all means make it mandatory and stop calling it tips - that will make it a service charge.

And you also need to bear in mind (g'ma this is for you) CC is only visited by less than 1% of cruisers so you need to stop thinking you all are the have all be all of cruising.

You don't lay down the rules - you don't enforce the rules - but you all know how to be rude with a vengence.

To the OP - go on your cruise and do as you will. I'm sure you will do what you feel best, as do 99% of those who do cruise. Don't let the snobs on here put you off cruising. Thankfully they are so in the minority you will never run into any of them wearing their jeans and shorts in the dining room because its only a suggestion by the cruiselines.

Oh and I do tell my clients about tipping - and I tell them it is suggested. I don't expect anyone to get off a ship without giving a gratuity - however if the service is not up to par not only don't I expect to give a gratuity I will write about it on the end of cruise report card as well. I will never reward shoddy work why do American's?

Well, as an American, I think that the tipping is an incentive to provide better service. If I go to a restaurant and get an average waitress, I'd tip 15% (my minimum). If she's a great waitress I'd tip 20-25%. I'm afraid that if service people didn't rely on tips-got paid straight salary- we'd see a decline in service. They would do an adequate job, but just adequate-no incentive to be faster, friendlier, neater, etc. With tips, the better you do your job the more you can make. The only thing that bothers me about it is that some waitstaff on the ship constantly ask how they are doing, reminding you that they want those tips-it bugs me because of course I'm going to tip them anyway. :)

Hi Jadzhea

All that that talk about tipping from our american friends is amusing, I was in new york last year and after having dinner in a well know resteraunt were the service was unbearably slow i only tipped 10% and was told by by head waiter that 20% should be tipped for any food service. I laughed and asked him what about mcdonalds were the service is allways fine and there is never a thought of the staff there getting tips

Cheers;)

Wow, what a great analogy. Oh wait, nope, its not even close. In McDonalds, no one serves you. You stand in line yourself. Someone getting paid $7.25 per hour hands you your food where you carry it over to your own table, sit down, and get any necessary additional items, napkins, straws, ketchup, etc YOURSELF. There is no tipping at McDonalds because you don't get service at McDonalds.

If you can't come up with a clever analogy, at least come up with a relevant one. The one you provided is complete rubbish and is not an excuse for not tipping...period.

Some of the AMERICAN'S on here need to get a grip. Tipping is NOT MANDATORY - IT IS SUGGESTED. Just as dressing properly in the MDR is SUGGESTED. I am more than willing to bet that most of you don't follow the same SUGGESTED dress code either.

When will you understand tipping is a choice as RCL makes it a choice. If they want to make it mandatory then by all means make it mandatory and stop calling it tips - that will make it a service charge.

And you also need to bear in mind (g'ma this is for you) CC is only visited by less than 1% of cruisers so you need to stop thinking you all are the have all be all of cruising.

You don't lay down the rules - you don't enforce the rules - but you all know how to be rude with a vengence.

To the OP - go on your cruise and do as you will. I'm sure you will do what you feel best, as do 99% of those who do cruise. Don't let the snobs on here put you off cruising. Thankfully they are so in the minority you will never run into any of them wearing their jeans and shorts in the dining room because its only a suggestion by the cruiselines.

Oh and I do tell my clients about tipping - and I tell them it is suggested. I don't expect anyone to get off a ship without giving a gratuity - however if the service is not up to par not only don't I expect to give a gratuity I will write about it on the end of cruise report card as well. I will never reward shoddy work why do American's?

On some cruises, it is not a suggestion...it is a rule. Shorts are NOT ALLOWED in the main dining room. That is not a suggestion. It is a rule. If you have the disposable income to take a cruise, than you should have enough to A) tip the people serving you and B) afford a decent pair of slacks to wear to the dining room.

Cruise lines need to even up the playing field and call it what it is...a service charge, end of story.

I cruise with Costa.....no tipping is expected or suggested.

However they have a mandatory service charge that cannot be altered or removed and it is payable at the end of the cruise via the on board account.

There is also another big difference with Costa...something that goes down extremely well with families....

2011 SEASON - for cruises from december 2010 to december 2011

included:

Transatlantic cruises of November 2010

Grand Oriental cruises of November 2010

Costa Magica from 10/11/2010

Costa Pacifica from 28/11/2010

Costa Concordia from 28/11/2010

Caribbean, Middle East, Red Sea and Oriental cruises of November 2010

Around the World Cruise

Costa Classica january 2012

For all hotel services on board, a service charge will be added each day to Guests' accounts. Payment will be requested only at the end of the cruise and depends on the duration of the cruise. The following charges are applicable:

• 7 euros/day per adult for all cruises up to 8 days, or 6 euros/day per adult for longer cruises.

• 11 dollars/day per adult for Caribbean cruises on Costa Atlantica departing from Fort Lauderdale and Miami.

• 9 dollars/day per adult for 4-5-6-7-8 day mini Far Eastern cruises on Costa Classica and Costa Romantica.

• 9 dollars/day per adult for South American and spring transatlantic cruises on Costa Serena, Costa Fortuna andCosta Victoria.

There is no service charge on any cruise for children under the age of 14, whereas Guests between the ages of 14 and 17 will be charged 50% of the above rates.

The entire service charge is set aside by the company for staff who perform hotel duties on board as an incentive to continue improving the quality of service offered on Costa ships. In this regard, Costa Cruises has received SA 8000 international certification for ethical conduct and social accountability.

The service charge is an integral part of the total price of the cruise and therefore the amount cannot be altered.

The 15% added to drinks is also called a service charge too.

Well, as an American, I think that the tipping is an incentive to provide better service. If I go to a restaurant and get an average waitress, I'd tip 15% (my minimum). If she's a great waitress I'd tip 20-25%. I'm afraid that if service people didn't rely on tips-got paid straight salary- we'd see a decline in service. They would do an adequate job, but just adequate-no incentive to be faster, friendlier, neater, etc. With tips, the better you do your job the more you can make. The only thing that bothers me about it is that some waitstaff on the ship constantly ask how they are doing, reminding you that they want those tips-it bugs me because of course I'm going to tip them anyway. :)

What costitutes great service to justify your differential of 10%. After all you order your food the server brings it to your table. What degrees of greatness are involved in that action ?

Hi everyone

Myself, my hubby and daughter are cruising for the 1st time in April on Independence of the seas.( we are from UK)

I have read a lot of these forums on various topics so I am prepared.

I booked the cruise on a whim through a travel agent, and not much was explained to me. I am concerned about the amount of tipping expected, as it would work out roughly £200 GBP for the three of us which is a hell of a lot. I am self employed and would have to work a lot of hours to earn that sort of money.

We did book on a budget, and i do expect to give some tips, but cant afford what they expect. Had my travel agent made me aware of this extra cost, I would have thought twice. However, we've booked now, we are going and thats that!!

I think the culture of tipping is completely different in the UK, so I didnt really think about it.

Can anyone comment,and if i dont pay the required amount, will the staff treat us badly??

Thanks

The first problem is that all mass market cruise lines (RCCL, Carnival, NCL) have set up this method of paying their crew.

It is not a "tip" (no matter what they call it) in the true sense of the word...

it is a service surcharge. It is the way the cruise lines set up to pay the salary of these crew.

The second problem is that your Travel Agent should have explained this and made sure that you understood that it is indeed part of the cost of cruising.

I am sorry that your family has been caught in the middle. It isn't fair to hit you with an additional fee that you were not aware of, but it isn't fair to expect someone work for a week without pay.

We are a family of four that cruise many times a year and routinely pay around $300 for a 7 day cruise in "tips".... so I understand it can add up.

It won't help in this instance, but perhaps a chat with your TA would prevent someone else from being caught in the middle like this.

I would hope that your TA did not avoid the subject on purpose to "make the sell". If they did, then they need to be ashamed of themselves.

Believe it or not, this is not only an issue for the UK (who have different tipping customs)....this is becoming an issue in America as well. Here we have a "culture" that don't tip at all because they elect to spend the money on themselves. Unlike the UK where it is a cultural difference, these folks in America know better and are just selfish.

So this may explain why some American posters on here are so "vocal" on this subject.

It isn't a reflection on the UK as much as it is frustration at Americans that know better and knowingly stiff people....(not only on cruise ships).....

Wow, what a great analogy. Oh wait, nope, its not even close. In McDonalds, no one serves you. You stand in line yourself. Someone getting paid $7.25 per hour hands you your food where you carry it over to your own table, sit down, and get any necessary additional items, napkins, straws, ketchup, etc YOURSELF. There is no tipping at McDonalds because you don't get service at McDonalds.

If you can't come up with a clever analogy, at least come up with a relevant one. The one you provided is complete rubbish and is not an excuse for not tipping...period.

Sorry, yes they do. They carry the food and drinks from the station at the back to the counter and place it on your tray, in the same way that a waiter carries your food from the kitchen to your table. the action is the same, only the distance is different.

I sincerely hope that you do not misinform your clients that are sailing on mass market lines like RCCL, NCL and Carnival.

It is not :suggested:....it is how these individuals get paid. Their "tip" is no more "suggested" than YOUR commission.....

how would you feel if RCCL, Carnival or NCL decided that YOU were not doing YOUR job well enough to get paid your commission because you are giving out incorrect information on tipping???

Archived