Pre-Purchasing Internet minutes

Mist_ynight

I just called princess to pre-purchase an Internet package. I know you get more minutes by pre-purchasing so I figured it was a better deal. The person I spoke to told me that the minutes can only be used in the internet cafe, not on wireless internet. Why is that? I thought it would be the same thing; I'm a little disappointed that I'm not going to the extra bonus minutes.

The person you talked to is wrong. A package gives you a certain number of minutes for use wherever you want on the ship, whether it's in the Library or Internet cafe using one of the ship's computers or WiFi anywhere on the ship. Go ahead and order the package.

That wouldn't surprise me. I once asked in a McDonalds if they had wifi and the 16 year old behind the counter had no idea what I was talking about. So much for technology and the young ones - I am a Nanna and use wifi.:D:D

Do you plan to access the internet on the ship? If so, you will have to go thru the Princess network and pay for the pleasure. In ports, you may be able to find free wifi.

Ok, so if I wanted to use the ships computers, I would have to pay for the minutes, but just using my phone, I should be able to use wifi free right?

Do you have to purchase minutes if you have an unlimited plan through your smart phone?

Once you leave the homeport, your plan does not apply ... you're charged the going rate through Cellular at Sea, and it ain't pretty. We either put our iPhones in airplane mode, or just shut them off completely. Fortunately, we qualify for Princess' freebie Internet (150 minutes/pp) so it's not a concern for us.

Do you plan to access the internet on the ship? If so, you will have to go thru the Princess network and pay for the pleasure. In ports, you may be able to find free wifi.

Perhaps ... depends on the port. From what I've read, if you remain aboard ship, the Princess charges will apply. Actually, the best source of information is the crew ... they know where the free or low-cost hotspots are.

Ok, so if I wanted to use the ships computers, I would have to pay for the minutes, but just using my phone, I should be able to use wifi free right?

Not if you are connecting thru the ship's network. I bring my laptop. The cost to access the internet is the same for a laptop via wifi and on the computers in the internet cafe.

new to Princess: where can we find the best summary about the pre-purchase of a plan? We do not mind going to the internet room but might be bringing a very small lap top...

We use it to get in touch at home evrey other day & print our return flight boarding passes.. we use about 90 minutes (since it is usually slow on Celebrity ships)

do we buy this plan before or after final payment or should we wait til we get on board?

Thanks

I just called princess to pre-purchase an Internet package. I know you get more minutes by pre-purchasing so I figured it was a better deal. The person I spoke to told me that the minutes can only be used in the internet cafe, not on wireless internet. Why is that? I thought it would be the same thing; I'm a little disappointed that I'm not going to the extra bonus minutes.

Your question was simple, and it's DAMN annoying that Princess service reps cannot answer a simple question correctly! :mad:

As you see from the replies, the wifi is available throughout the ship. Some areas may have a weaker signal than others. I had no problems using my netbook in my cabin for 30 days on the Sapphire.

I have a droid and don't know much about it.I have questions.What is the airplane mode?If I am in ports how do I find wifi and how do I know on my phone if I find it?Can I access my email in the ports and not have it affect my phone bill?I know phone calls are expensive but would using my droid with this free wifi be free?My daughter pays the phone bill and I don't want her to get a huge bill.I have verizon-can I call her cell phone (on the same plan as mine)for free from San Juan and St Thomas?

Anything else you can tell me would be great.

Laura

new to Princess: where can we find the best summary about the pre-purchase of a plan? We do not mind going to the internet room but might be bringing a very small lap top...

We use it to get in touch at home evrey other day & print our return flight boarding passes.. we use about 90 minutes (since it is usually slow on Celebrity ships)

do we buy this plan before or after final payment or should we wait til we get on board?

Thanks

Using WIFI is the same cost as using the ship's computers in their Internet Cafe.

First there is a $3.95 initial sign up charge (once per cruise per user; free for platinum/elite passengers). Then 75 cents/minute unless you purchase a package. No refund for package minutes not used.

Packages:

100 minutes $55.00

150 minutes $75.00

250 minutes $100.00

500 minutes $175.00

If you sign up for a package the first day, there is usually some free bonus minutes. You can also pre-pay for a package at http://www.princess.com/learn/onboard/gifts_services/communications/index.jsp and this will include more bonus minutes than you would get onboard. If you pre-pay, it will also include the 3.95 initial sign-on fee.

The package minutes can be used both on your own computer and on the ship's computers in the Internet Cafe.

The first time you use the Internet onboard, there will be instructions on how to set up your account and select a password.

Please note that on your own computer you must sign out with an address of 1.1.1.1 or your minutes may continue to be counted down.

If you sign up on board for a package, you do so either on your own laptop or one of the ship's computers in the Internet Cafe. Either way, you can do it without the need to interact with the Internet Cafe manager.

If you pre-cruise purchase a package to get those extra bonus minutes, you cannot sign onto the internet on the ship to use that package until you speak with the Internet Cafe manager, so it could delay you from getting online until the hours that the Internet Cafe manager comes on duty at a time you can meet with him/her.

If you want to print boarding passes, you will need to do so from the ship's Internet Cafe computers as there is no link to their printer from your laptop/netbook.

I have not found anywhere on the Princess website where I can prepurchase minutes.

http://www.princess.com/learn/onboard/gifts_services/communications/index.jsp

I qualify for !50 free minutes for a 7day cruise. If I can pick up a few exta that would

be great.

Greg

See link above for pre-purchasinmg a package.

If you are getting free minutes from being Platinum or Elite, you do NOT want to pre-purchase minutes because that the Platinum/Elite benefit does not apply to the pre-purchased plans.

If you pre-cruise purchase a package to get those extra bonus minutes, you cannot sign onto the internet on the ship to use that package until you speak with the Internet Cafe manager, so it could delay you from getting online until the hours that the Internet Cafe manager comes on duty at a time you can meet with him/her.

Carbill, Sorry, but I contradicted you on this point on the other thread http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1362130 and I'll do so here too. On which ship did you find this to be so? When?

Shalom, Andy.

Thanks for that info Andy.

I just purchased my internet package and I asked the guy about what the other princess rep said. He put me on hold for a minute and when he came back he said it can be used for either the cafe or wireless. Why couldn't the first person do the same and ask someone who knew the answer to the question. I'd much rather have be put on hold while she found the answer then her giving me the wrong answer. If it wasn't for you guys I would have missed out on 30 bonus minutes. Thanks again :)

I've not considered pre-purchase of Internet mainly because there seems to always be a first day purchase special onboard , as well as coupons in the TA coupon book that I may receive.

I don't know about the TA coupon book, but the first day bonus minutes are from 10 to 40 minutes depending on the size package you buy. If you prepurchase, you get twice the bonus minutes, ie, 20 to 80.

Archived