Anyone ever do a 7 day cruise with carry-on luggage only?

dln929

Please tell me it can be done! I'm pretty used to traveling with carry-on but I've never been on a cruise before. Which means I've never had to pack dressy clothing. My cruise has two formal nights and I want to look nice.

What are some good tips for fitting casual day clothes in with a gown, dress, and heels, all in a 22" piece of luggage?

BTW, I'm only doing this because I have to. We're going to Venice and it's taking three planes with one tight connection to get us there. I've lost my bags before on a trip like this and it was right before a wedding. It wasn't a pretty sight. My luggage was missing for 2 1/2 days and I got it back literally two hours before the big rehearsal dinner. Never again!

We've done carry-on only since BA lost our luggage on a Med trip a few years ago. We each bring a 21 inch wheel aboard and a small duffle/large tote bag. The one thing I don't bring is a gown. I have dressy pants that I wear with a couple of different dressy tops. Perfect for formal night and easy to pack. DH brings a sport coat, one pair of dress pants and a couple of shirts and ties. Everything we bring coordinates with everything else and we use accessories to dress things up or down. We use packing folders which hold about 10 tops each, packing cubes for smaller stuff. The pants get put on top. We also have the ship launder/dry clean if necessary. It's actually not only

doable, but pretty easy once you realize you don't have to bring everything in your

wardrobe.

Thank you both for your suggestions. I actually have some Chicos black travellers clothing and I could dress that up with accessories and/or a fancy top. The material has a semi-shiny finish to it so that would be do-able. I'm so used to wearing it just on the plane that I hadn't thought of wearing for formal night!

I suppose I could wear my black jersey dress, too, to formal night as it packs pretty small and will be good for post-cruise dinners at restaurants . Darn! I really had my heart set on wearing a long gown but I don't think that's going to happen on this cruise.

Thank you both for your suggestions. I actually have some Chicos black travellers clothing and I could dress that up with accessories and/or a fancy top. The material has a semi-shiny finish to it so that would be do-able. I'm so used to wearing it just on the plane that I hadn't thought of wearing for formal night!

I suppose I could wear my black jersey dress, too, to formal night as it packs pretty small and will be good for post-cruise dinners at restaurants . Darn! I really had my heart set on wearing a long gown but I don't think that's going to happen on this cruise.

Sounds perfect. I had a black "squishy" dress that I wore on cruises for years. It finally wore out. I miss that dress!!

I've never done it with carry-on only but we've done multiple 12-14 Europe cruises with pre and post stays and because of the changes I limit myself to one 26" suitcase and a carryon (into which I put one change of clothes).

I've seen people do carry-on only on 14 day cruises. That involves laundry. Some ships have self laundries and on other ships you would have to wash by hand and/or send wash out. You can then limit the number of clothes to that which you need for 4 days and wash once during the cruise.

I bring one long lightweight skirt and multiple nice tops. I have a collection now and many are lightweight.

For more casual dinners, I wear my tops to dinner and show and wear the next day for touring or around the ship. Therefore, I really only need one top a day. I choose lightweight materials and if I have to wash in the sink they dry pretty quickly.

The t-shirts, undies, shorts etc I wash in a machine.

We took a 19 day trip with carry-on only luggage - a 21" bag and knapsack each. This was on a cruise with no formal nights, but it would have been easy for me to adapt my wardrobe as others have suggested. DH would have rented a tux onboard, which is something for your husband to consider.

You can't be a fashion icon with just the carryon, but you certainly can be creative.

You will either need to leave the gown at home or plan on making liberal use of the ship's laundry for other items (you'll need to do it anyway). I like the idea of using sparkly tops or shawls to dress up an otherwise casual outfit and using different colors so at least you feel as if you're not wearing the same thing twice.

I've always had good luck with the laundry service on the ships. I don't send out my delicates, though, just wash them out in the sink. It only takes a couple of minutes, and the shampoo/body wash the ship provides does a good job.

Pick one basic color (black usually comes to mind) and use your accessories to make it look different.

I was planning on a large checked back for an upcoming 10 night trip, but I'm close to changing my mind. I'm setting out everything over the weekend and then cutting back.:)

For toiletries, I suggest that you plan to get some items in Venice rather than trying to cram everything into a 3-1-1 bag. I've done that, but had to purchase body lotion and shampoo in Rome, since I have very dry skin and very weird hair. If you collect free samples of your cosmetics, now is the time to use them.

Leave your hairdryer at home - the ship will have one (bring the curling/flat iron if you must). Don't worry if your shoes aren't quite perfect for each outfit. Wear your heaviest shoes and clothes on the plane.

Souvenirs! I would be less concerned about checking my bag going home, so wouldn't save room for them. I'd buy a new tote if necessary, and :)check my dirty clothes and carry my Murano glass/Burano fans home with me.

And make sure that you're flying on an airline with American carry-on standards. Some of the European carriers only let you travel with 6kg of carryon, roughly 15 pounds. I haven't found a way to do that yet.:p

And use every nook and cranny - put socks inside shoes (sounds gross, but that's where they'll be, anyway). Put them in the plastic vegetable bags you get at the supermarket first.

Invest in some packing cubes, bags or even just 2 gallon Ziploc bags. Put anything you don't care about wrinkling in them and squeeze all the air out. Just mind the weight of the bag, since you'll need to be able to lift it into the overhead bin (or your husband will).

I probably could do it in terms of clothes but it's all the 'things' I bring that makes it impossible for me to travel with carryon only. I like to have the 'just in case' stuff along with us and, of course, there's the limit on liquids and gels when flying.

A black basic dress can serve for formal night if you want. Add some bling. :)

Good for you the ones who can cruise a week with only a carryon and still be neat, clean and dressed appropriately day and evening. It's easy if you don't care what you look like but not so easy to look presentable. IMO

So many good ideas here! We've been traveling to Europe for years so I know all about regulation-sized toiletries. I have that down to a science. However, we almost always fly on American carriers. This time we have legs on Iberia and BA so thanks a million for the caution to check their carry-on standards to make sure they conform with what we're bringing.

I'm going to do my best to see about getting a suit packed for my husband but if it won't work, then tuxedo rental might do the trick. Great suggestion!

Now don't laugh at this, but I am considering disposable socks and undies. Like so: http://www.onederwear.com/ It will create space for bringing back souvenirs. We're going to Italy, Croatia, and Slovenia. I see a ton of opportunity for bringing back stuff I've never seen before!

I like the idea of coordinates. If I can pack one pair of Chicos black travel pants, a pair of heels, and a few silky tops and jewelry, I can make those pants "stretch" into two formal nights. I already own a pashima shawl and a silk shawl, both of which are lightweight and dressy.

I guess this is all about being creative with wardrobe combinations and making clothing do double- and triple-duty, isn't it?

I still want a gown though. :mad:

Now don't laugh at this, but I am considering disposable socks and undies.

I still want a gown though. :mad:

I'm consdering the paper panties, too. But will have a few pairs of the real thing if I do.

My evening dress, now being sewn by the gal downstairs, is very crushable chffon, 3/4 length.

I'll be checking my bag because of my penknife (!), but I am packing a if I could carry it on.

I'm consdering the paper panties, too. But will have a few pairs of the real thing if I do.

My evening dress, now being sewn by the gal downstairs, is very crushable chffon, 3/4 length.

I'll be checking my bag because of my penknife (!), but I am packing a if I could carry it on.

Our cabin category provides for laundry and dry cleaning in the price and still I wash out my 'dainties' in the sink. I don't like to send out fine lingerie. Rather than paper (I can't imagine wearing paper panties :eek:), it's so simple to rinse out garments nightly. If you don't wish to bring woolite or soap, use the shampoo provided in the cabins. After rinsing, lay flat on a towel and roll up the towel. It will absorb excess moisture and they dry very quickly.

Two more suggestions instead of the paper undies...... Wash yours in the sink or bring older ones and toss them.

Oldies to toss -- done that, and not just with panties -- done it with t-shirts alot, but I think a cruise demands better quality than just knocking around on the train.

And not having seen the bathroom on the ship yet (couldn't find a clear picture on the 'net) I don't know how/if I could managed to hook up a clothes line. Done that in a lot of places, too.

Absolutely! For me, it's not only doable, it is very easy to do. I actually don't know how to fill up a backpack, a carry-on and a full size luggage for a 7-day cruise.

On my own back, the heaviest clothes, a jacket and hiking sneakers.

In my packback, the valuables: cosmetics, sunglasses, phone, netbook, camera, wallet, passport and keys.

In the carry-on, all my other clothes, with room to spare.

Archived