Have to decide by tonight - 10 night Zuiderdam or 7 night Westerdam?

stiej

We have 2 cruises on hold for this spring and have to decide by this evening - the 10 night Zuiderdam (Half Moon Cay, Aruba, Curacao, Panama and Costa Rica) or 7 night Westerdam (HMC, Aruba and Curacao). Zuiderdam would be oceanview, Westerdam verandah. Price difference is only 600. We are a family of 4 with 2 kids (10 and 7). They would miss 2 days of school on the Zuiderdam. Any thoughts to help us make our decision?? Thanks!

If the Zuiderdam is going in and out of the Canal, I would choose that one. Having your kids viewing the locking process would be a wonderful education. I am always amazed when we go to the Canal, whether a full transit or in and out to Gatun Lake, the engineering and effort that went into building it over 100 years ago.

Barbara

If the Zuiderdam is going in and out of the Canal, I would choose that one. Having your kids viewing the locking process would be a wonderful education. I am always amazed when we go to the Canal, whether a full transit or in and out to Gatun Lake, the engineering and effort that went into building it over 100 years ago.

Barbara

The canal trip is also cool if you meet up with another cruise ship traveling in the opposite direction. Lots of cheering and waving. Also, you'll get to see glimpses of the new canal they have built to handle the super tankers - is it open yet? It wasn't when we made the trip in Dec 2009.

Ron

GO FOR 10 DAYS. Missing school for a few days is a non event.

If you are booking directly....get a quote for on on line TA...you may save enough to pay the delta or use cruise compete to get multiple quotes.

Having done that same 10-day Panama Canal voyage, I must say it's one of the most memorable trips of my life - Most definitely worth taking the extra days and lower-category stateroom.

We did your 10 day on the Zuiderdam and loved it . Going through the locks is an experience and so is Costa Rica :D I would do that in a heartbeat. I have not been on the Westerdam (yet) but I can say that we really enjoyed our Zuidie cruise. I would definitely vote for this one :D

Well - we just got off the phone with HAL - and

*drum roll*

we will be heading off on the longest vacation we have EVER been on! We are officially booked on the Zuiderdam heading off to HMC, Aruba, Curacao, Panama and Costa Rica. I told my kids to talk to their Spanish teacher tomorrow at school as she is from Panama!

10 > 7

Good decision. Life is too short to only cruise for 7 days at a time....

I'm sure you'll love the Panama Canal. Good learning experience for your kids.

Great choice. And now we will all do our Upgrade Fairy Dance for you and hope good fortune continues to shine on your family - the educational possibilities for your kids having to take time away from class will be great with the destinations you chose.

We did your 10 day on the Zuiderdam and loved it . Going through the locks is an experience and so is Costa Rica :D I would do that in a heartbeat. I have not been on the Westerdam (yet) but I can say that we really enjoyed our Zuidie cruise. I would definitely vote for this one :D

Ditto....:D

Well - we just got off the phone with HAL - and

*drum roll*

we will be heading off on the longest vacation we have EVER been on! We are officially booked on the Zuiderdam heading off to HMC, Aruba, Curacao, Panama and Costa Rica. I told my kids to talk to their Spanish teacher tomorrow at school as she is from Panama!

good for you. These are all great ports along with the experience of the locks. You will have a great time :D:D

Short of winning a 7-day cruise we don't consider or even look at those itineraries. We tried one several years ago and it just didn't provide the "bounce" we needed as a break from work. By the time we arrange flights and pre cruise hotels, etc., we just find short cruises just not worth it.

We are doing the 10 day Zuiderdam :) The kids were bouncing off the walls! Now we need shore excursions!

My recommendations:

Aruba - Off-Road 4-Wheel-Drive Adventure

Curacao is easy to do on your own - just walk around the town w/ your map.

Panama Canal - Wake up late, stay on the ship and watch as you sail out of Gatun Lake (leaving the rush to the railings to the others) and listen to the onboard narration while you make the transits.

Costa Rica - Rain Forest Canopy & Zip Line Adventure or

Sloth Sanctuary & Jungle Experience

Archived