No more lounge chairs on balcony??

I have never heard of not getting an extra chair/chaise lounge chair if asked of your room attendant nicely.

If that did not work....I have no problems with snagging one from the deck after my early morning coffee walk...if it came to that...which it has not come to that so far. ;)

But I would do it if needed.

Bump...crash..clank...ooopss...clank..bump..thump...all the way down to the aft at 6 am!!

:eek: ;) ;)

wait a minute! if everyone and room stewards are getting loungers from on deck, where's everyone gonna lounge when the go up on deck?:eek:

Here is a great idea I just had!!

Why not CALL RCI and ask them about it. If they say it should not be a problem then you should be set. If your steward doesn't want to get you one (assuming one isn't already there) then all you have to do is go talk to someone at guest relations. :D

(I'm not talking to the OP since it is obviously too late for her)

wait a minute! if everyone and room stewards are getting loungers from on deck, where's everyone gonna lounge when the go up on deck?:eek:

And the funny thing is ...I STILL had to put my "stuff and a towel" on it to save it for the day...go figure!! :eek: ;) :D :D :D

We sailed Freedom this past December in a JS located on the hump. There were two regular chairs and one lounge chair. When the cabin attendant came by to introduce herself to us, we asked for an additional lounger. Once we returned from dinner that evening, the lounger was on our balcony.

Probably depends on which ship and/or the personality of your cabin attendant.

Tim

This may indeed be a new policy. We sailed Serenade Feb. 26 and there was no lounge on our GS balcony! I was shocked. But I asked our steward for one and she provided one from the pool deck later that evening. I initially thought this was just an oversight, but next day saw a lounge being taken into another GS cabin. So I guess there were no lounges on any GS balconies. This is totally ridiculous!

We had an ocean-facing Junior Suite on Allure in February. Three of us occupied the Junior Suite, yet we had only two chairs and a table on the balcony. The balcony had plenty of space for at least one lounger or another chair.

I noticed other Junior Suites that faced inward on the Boardwalk. They had even larger balconies than ours but only two chairs and no loungers.

It makes absolutely no sense to me that a large balcony can't even have three chairs or two chairs and a lounger.

A further point...the Solarium area had removed all the fabulous covered sofa-like loungers that adorned the area during our December cruise! I didn't bother to ask why figuring I'd get a variety of answers if I asked a a variety of crew about those cozy covered sofas.

Maybe it is a question of weight or just a cost-reduction idea. Anyway, I feel that the larger balconies should have more than two chairs and a table.

I have never heard of not getting an extra chair/chaise lounge chair if asked of your room attendant nicely.

If that did not work....I have no problems with snagging one from the deck after my early morning coffee walk...if it came to that...which it has not come to that so far. ;)

Bump...crash..clank...ooopss...clank..bump..thump...all the way down to the aft at 6 am!!

That was funny...I was thinking the same thing. What happens if you see the room stewart before you get back in the room. Hide it behind your back? excuse me,,,sorry...whoops...

On Monach this past Feb. In JS. 2 chairs and table, I asked and my room Stewart brought it. I have never had a problem. If I have a large balcony I better have a lounger or they will have a unhappy camper ( I guess cruiser).

We were on the Serenade Nov 14, 2010. Had a large hump cabin, no lounger on the balcony. Asked the cabin steward for one, and she said she was not supposed to give us one.

Naturally the extra tip got us one.

The last night of the cruise, the lounger was gone from the balcony. It must be a good way of getting extra tips.

We had always gotten an extra lounger when cruising in a balcony until one cruise a couple of years ago. The room steward said no--first time that had ever happened. Claimed they weren't allowed to bring one. So late that evening, I went to the upper pool deck and to my delight, a lounge chair followed me home! :D (This was after the room steward had turned in for the night). I wondered what, if anything, he would say when he saw the lounger on our balcony the next morning. He never said a word about it the entire cruise. We left the lounger on our balcony for the next passengers. BTW, on our next cruise, we had no problem getting the extra lounger from that room steward.

We were on the Serenade Nov 14, 2010. Had a large hump cabin, no lounger on the balcony. Asked the cabin steward for one, and she said she was not supposed to give us one.

Naturally the extra tip got us one.

The last night of the cruise, the lounger was gone from the balcony. It must be a good way of getting extra tips.

Sorry do you mind if I ask, did you tip when you asked or when you got the lounger? I would love a lounger on my next cruise. Thank you!

I guess we have almost reached rock bottom. Next thing you will to go request a bed and lay out a tip to have it brought into your stateroom. What is one reason people pay the higher rates to gain a large balcony? I wonder if it might be to able to lounge on their own private balcony. Come on RCI, get real!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Was on Liberty 2/19/11 and had a JS on the stern. There was one lounge chair on the balcony. I asked the room steward for a second one as there is more than enough room for 4 of them. She said that they were not supposed to be any out there. I let her know that I intended so show immediate gratification and she said she just couldn't do it. I asked about talking to her supervisor and she said she would be glad to get him , but that was the safety officer's policy. I next took it up with the concierge from the diamond lounge and she told me that what the room steward was saying was the ship's policy and the room steward could be reprimanded or worse for putting lounge chairs on the balcony, only OS and higher were now allowed lounge chairs - on the LOS. Next I went to guest services and they gave the same answer - safety officer's rules because of fire hazard. One of the guest service officers that I have had the pleasure of sailing with a few times encouraged me to write to Miami about this as their hands were tied. Also I had sailed with the DL concierge a few times and she has always been very accommodating. Last in this long piece was in St. Thomas - we were stern to stern with the Explorer and on her there were lounge chairs on the stern on E1, D1 (or 2), and JS. So to me it seemed to be a Liberty thing.

On our AOS cruise out of San Juan we had a deck 8 corner aft. It had loungers, ratty old stained and faded blue plastic mesh.

We were butt to butt with the Caribbean Princess. Looked 30 feet away at the Caribbean Princess aft cabins with padded simulated wood loungers.

Shame RCCL shame.

On our recent FOS cruise, we were never able to find a lounger up on deck in the sun! Every morning they were all reserved with towels and such. As we walked around, we found a few together folded up and as I attempted to open it up a man said he was saving four of them! We ended up sitting in the shade covered up with towels.:mad: After freezing for a half hour, we went back to our room and I sat on the balcony with my feet up on the tiny little table, and DH "lounged" on the bed watching the first middle or last of the movie that played over and over again the entire week. I think they prefer people not lounge on their balconies, but on the pool deck so they have more access to the bars! I will ask for a lounger the next time, but I wouldn't want someone to get in trouble for bringing one, and I wouldn't want to get in trouble for taking one myself. I may have to turn into a chair hog.... but why have a balcony without the ability to lounge on it?

I am wondering if this is a new policy or what gives. We usually have aft balconies and always have had loungers on them. Our last was the Serenade Feb 5, 2011. Two loungers, two chairs and a table with plenty of room to spare on a D1. This is one of the reasons we LOVE these cabins. We use our balcony every afternoon (and some nights) to read and nap. You can't nap in a chair. I had booked a hump D1 balcony on Allure but have now changed it to a D7 after hearing we would be refused a lounger. There is no point otherwise. If this is a true policy I'd like to know the real reason. Also RRCL should then be pushed to get some better chairs - like one with a pop up foot rest. Some of us happen to still like the ocean and want to spend time looking at it rather then a busy pool area or inside mall. They are taking away our favorite thing to do! POUT! (And we order room service for our bar drinks so it's not lost revenue for us.)

This is our second cruise this year in an oversized balcony and we can't get a lounge chair from RCL anymore....

WHY?????

First response was it's a fire hazard...ummmm, the chairs that are with the table are made with the same material...bad excuse!!!

Ridiculous!! I can't personally believe that when you have JS or an aft balcony with a LARGE balcony that you can't have a lounge chair...

Anyone else with the same experience/???

Yes, we just got off the Noordam (Holland America) and had the same experience. We had a deluxe veranda suite in the aft - huge balcony - no lounge chairs. We had been on the Eurodam in October - smaller balcony, but they did have loungers. On the Noordam, we nicely asked the room attendant - no dice - even with the promise of a big tip. Went to the front desk - same dumb excuses - fire hazard, etc. Then, looking over the rail, saw that the people below us had somehow gotten a lounge chair - after complaining bitterly - as did everyone with rooms in the aft. So, back we went to the front desk and asked for the manager. FINALLY - got one lounge chair (taken off the promenade deck - doesn't lay flat - and made of wood - talk about a fire hazard) and we were asked not to tell anybody. Now, those deluxe veranda suites don't come cheap and I'm now questioning the wisdom of booking with HAL again. AND - we are on a repo cruise in October with RC's Jewel of the Seas. If we don't have a lounge then, we will be very unhappy campers (GS cabin 1600). That is why we pay the extra bucks for the big veranda's in the aft - those loungers mean a lot to us.

I've heard this story on various ships over the past couple of years. On Radiance they removed the loungers on all the aft balcony cabins except for Deck 10. We've always had loungers on the aft balconies, on all 4 Radiance class ships, Vision, Splendour and Rhapsody.

We were just on Liberty's 3/5/11 sailing and had two loungers on our midship hump balcony. If we don't have them on our aft JS on Rhapsody next month, we'll be sure to make a midnight requisition.

I've heard this story on various ships over the past couple of years. On Radiance they removed the loungers on all the aft balcony cabins except for Deck 10. We've always had loungers on the aft balconies, on all 4 Radiance class ships, Vision, Splendour and Rhapsody.

We were just on Liberty's 3/5/11 sailing and had two loungers on our midship hump balcony. If we don't have them on our aft JS on Rhapsody next month, we'll be sure to make a midnight requisition.

Love it! :D

EXACTLY what I was thinking!:cool::D

Love it!

After 33 years in the news business and an entire life living in NYC, my hubby can talk just about anybody into just about anything. I am sure if we get a "no" a midnight requisition would be a "go".

We have cabin 1688 on the Explorer - aft/corner with a gagunda balcony because the cabin is a "doublewide". DH has only cruised a couple of times but I spoiled him on the first trip with an aft-facing balcony. That is all he will consider now.

Take away a New Yorker's lounge chair.......would not be pretty. He spends HOURS on the balcony.

Archived