I have a strange question.....

I've been reading some past threads and there seems to be a lot of discussion about chair hogs. I love to relax in the sun and read a book. My question is...do I need to worry about my towel, book, etc being removed if I run to the restroom or to the windjammer for a quick lunch? I'm plan on being gone for any longer than 20 or so minutes. I don't want to be flamed. :D Just seeking opinions. Thanks

I think you will be fine :) people get upset (rightfully so) when they see that someone has plopped down a book or towel and then either don't come back to the chair for hours or in some cases never at all! I've read stories of people who have moved someones belongings and then the owner didn't return the entire day to claim their chair or their stuff. If you are sitting and happen to get up for a few minutes I am sure your chair "neighbors" will know that you were there and intend to return.

I've been reading some past threads and there seems to be a lot of discussion about chair hogs. I love to relax in the sun and read a book. My question is...do I need to worry about my towel, book, etc being removed if I run to the restroom or to the windjammer for a quick lunch? I'm plan on being gone for any longer than 20 or so minutes. I don't want to be flamed. :D Just seeking opinions. Thanks

You won't have a problem with a quick run to the restroom, but I think that if you are going to go to the Windjammer for a lunch break of 20 minutes or so, it would only be polite to take your things with you and let someone else occupy your chair in your absence, Chances are reasonably good that you will be able to find another vacant chair when you return. I think that the general rule of thumb before any items are removed is that the chair be vacant for at least 30 minutes but, unless you are actually using the pool or hot tub, I think that you should limit your absences to just a few minutes.

You won't have a problem with a quick run to the restroom, but I think that if you are going to go to the Windjammer for a lunch break of 20 minutes or so, it would only be polite to take your things with you and let someone else occupy your chair in your absence, Chances are reasonably good that you will be able to find another vacant chair when you return. I think that the general rule of thumb before any items are removed is that the chair be vacant for at least 30 minutes but, unless you are actually using the pool or hot tub, I think that you should limit your absences to just a few minutes.

And, I would add to negc's excellent reply, if you are using your chair to relax and read, I am guessing that you do not care about proximity to the pool's edge. There are many many lounge chairs available; the ones that tend to be hogged are those that are closest to the pool. Find a chair on the deck ABOVE the pool deck, and no one will WANT your chair. You will find plenty of them.

I agree, 30 minutes seems reasonable.

Kirk

i asked the deck police how long you really have before they swipe. he said 10 minutes, but while observing, it was longer than that.

unless you are setting up "camp", or your space looks set up, you're fine.

I also don't leave without someone near that i'll be back, and they know why.

That would meet my definition of a chair hog and why there are not enough chairs to go around.

If you choose to sit up above the pool, there are plenty of lounge chairs to go around and you can take your stuff with you and come back and find another lounge chair just as nice.

I dont leave my stuff on a lounge chair ...but thats me.... but in the theater, I might ...so each to his own what they consider ok and not saving seats and all that.

Thanks for the info. Like I said I love to spend hours in the sun. Chilling and reading. I'm planning to find me a nice sunny spot in the Solarium. I wonder if I could get my DH to be my personal waiter. Probably not. LOL

Depending on the time of year of your cruise, those spots in the Solarium are PREMIUM. You may have a harder time there.

My DH and I often get to the solarium early on sea days and set up together to read and hot tub. Then when we want to go get some lunch, one of us goes and gets a plate and then the other, and we dine by the pool. We do not mind eating by the pool (at non floating resorts, most people do this anyway ordering food to be delivered pool side!) and we get to enjoy our afternoon by the pool. But if we leave to take in a show or get ready for dinner we always chuck our towels so everyone will know the chairs are free. But to be honest with you, we have never had trouble getting to loungers together, especially if you don't need to be right near the pool or are willing to be on the upper level.

There were several signs posted on the AOS that advised if your chair is unattended for more than 30 minutes, your items could be taken by the pool attendant and you would have to collect it where you sign out the towels. Personally, if I am going to my leave my lounger for 30 minutes, I am going to take my stuff with me and let someone else use it. JMHO

I asked this question on a chair-hogging thread in another forum, but never really got an answer, so maybe you all have thoughts.

We plan to be in the pool, until we get disgustingly pruny and water-logged :D Then we plan to reapply sunscreen, dry out a bit, and then back into the pool.

I expect that our towels and sunscreen will be on a chair for upwards of 30 minutes at a time.

But as far as I'm aware, there's no locker or cubby where I can put my things. They're either lying around on the pool deck, getting wet or taken, or they're on a chair.

DH, DS and I are willing to share a single chair upon which to plop all of our stuff, but, really, swimmers are going to make use of a chair with absences of greater than 10-30 minutes. What's the solution?

Just off the Serenade yesterday. There were signs posted by both the main pool and the solarium pool that if you vacated your chair for more than 30 minutes, your belongings would be picked up by the deck patrol people. Your belongings could be picked up at the towel station.

I asked this question on a chair-hogging thread in another forum, but never really got an answer, so maybe you all have thoughts.

We plan to be in the pool, until we get disgustingly pruny and water-logged :D Then we plan to reapply sunscreen, dry out a bit, and then back into the pool.

I expect that our towels and sunscreen will be on a chair for upwards of 30 minutes at a time.

But as far as I'm aware, there's no locker or cubby where I can put my things. They're either lying around on the pool deck, getting wet or taken, or they're on a chair.

DH, DS and I are willing to share a single chair upon which to plop all of our stuff, but, really, swimmers are going to make use of a chair with absences of greater than 10-30 minutes. What's the solution?

I think if you are using one chair for several people's stuff, then most people would not consider that chair hogging, especially if people see you going back and forth to the pool. It's the people that leave their stuff in multiple chairs and can't be found anywhere on the pool deck that tend to drive people bonkers.:p

While I don't feel that you're doing anything inappropriate at all, if the sign says that the chair cannot be unoccupied for 30 minutes, then that's what you have to go by. While I think the intent is to prevent people from leaving the pool deck entirely for long periods of time, there's no way for the RCI staff to know where you are or what your intents are.

If I was in your shoes and planning to spend most of my time in the pool and not in my chair, I would probably choose a somewhat out-of-the-way spot to claim chairs. Leave the primo spots to the loungers. You're entitled to whatever chair you find unoccupied, but my guess is that the staff is less likely to move your stuff after 30.0001 minutes if you're not camped out in prime real estate.

Finally, I'd also imagine that "removal" of your items after 30 minutes means they're taken to the towel station or some other location and not thrown overboard. If this is the case (and I'd advise you getting confirmation from someone more knowledgable before going through with this), the place to which your items are removed becomes your de facto locker.

30 Minutes is the rule of thumb and people do notice if loungers in prime sun, out by the pool remain unoccupied for more than 30 minutes. I think if you are in a sunny spot, further back, you might be less "noticeable." Only on one cruise did we find it annoying. There was a group of teens who had a complete row of loungers with their personal items. They all stood along the side of the pool, chatting and playing in the water for literally hours. Occasionally, one of the girls would come to the chair to get a hairbrush or scrunchee, but never even sat down. They could have put their items on a couple of chairs and left the others available. This happened every single day of the cruise. We are usually in a party of 8. We get a couple of loungers near the pool and a couple of loungers under the shade. We always have a couple of folks rotating from the sun to the shade to the pool or to the Windjammer. We don't feel like we are hogging an entire line of chairs and it's always worked fine for us. It's not being overly considerate, we just find that we don't need to take up chairs we know won't be used. If more than one of us wants to sit, we sit on the edge of the pool occasionally. I don't understand the need to have a lounger saved while going to the WJ.

We claim our chairs after breakfast and leave them to take a quick dip, get some food (which we bring back to the chairs), or go to the bathroom. I think it's fine to leave your chair for 20min. here and there, but if you aren't really using it at all...that's a different story.

If you're there it isn't a problem. The difficulties start when someone plops a towel down at 6 in the morning, goes jogging for 30 minutes, then off to breakfast, then come back and sit down for 10 mins, and off to catch bingo... etc.

I don't think anyone has an issue with folks using a chair all day if you're there using it. It is when the chair is unused that creates a problem.

I'd leave any valuables in your cabin or put them in a locker in the sauna area if your ship has one.

I've read some of your replies, but I'll try to add a little different. You many talk about reading in the sun and don't mention kids. In the solarium and the upper deck, 1 deck above the pools there is less crowding and your ticker indicates your going in Freedom which is a big ship with many different sunning areas. You can probably find a couple of areas where you would be ok for 20 minutes or so, with the possible exception of Sea days.

Thanks for the info. Like I said I love to spend hours in the sun. Chilling and reading. I'm planning to find me a nice sunny spot in the Solarium. I wonder if I could get my DH to be my personal waiter. Probably not. LOL

I thought that was why husbands were allowed to cruise :). Otherwise they would just be excess baggage and cost.

Don't worry deanswife1990, I've got you covered. We can lounge and read together and watch each others backs, or should I say chairs, when we need a little break or snack! ;)

I have seen people save 4 chairs with a towel, a book and one flip-flop on each chair.

I have NO issue throwing their crap over onto 2 of the chairs and taking the other two. The rule is: NO holding chairs.

I have seen people put their junk on chairs and be gone for 3-4 hours at a time. Because of this, I have NO problem taking them.

Maybe I'm rude...but I'm not the one holding the chairs for hours on end and never returning either. :)

I thought that was why husbands were allowed to cruise :). Otherwise they would just be excess baggage and cost.

I put my college degree in Restaurant Management and 18 years of hospitality work experience to good use and get my wife coffee every morning ...

Archived