Dress Code

gkgk123ca

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Just got off the Odyssey after a 1-week sailing Lisbon-Barcelona; first time on Seabourn. One Formal Optional night and I wasn't sure what to expect. I didn't bring a tux along as this cruise followed a 2-week crossing on Oceania's Marina.

Only saw a few men in tuxedos; most wore a dark suit or sport jacket and tie (about an even mix). The latter is what I wore and certainly didn't feel out of place. My wife wore a long dress and was in the minority; most women wore a fancy top and nice skirt or a nice pantsuit.

And definitely no denim in the evening!

Gary

• 3 months later...

Seabourn dress codes - what a hot topic this is. After six cruises with Seabourn and some dress code issues, I've decided to post.

I'm all for rules when it comes to safety & health at sea, or on land for that matter. However, IMO dress codes should not fall into a rules and regulations category, but more of a "guideline" for the evening's theme. If my husband feels there are way too many Elegant Casual evenings and decides to interpret that theme to his generation and comfort level (understated dress shirt with dark gabardine trousers) so let him. I know others would love to do the same but are too afraid. I, on the other hand, love to dress up every night - so that's what I do.

The only lifted eyebrows we have ever received were from the Restaurant Managers. The other guests have either had too much botox and can't raise their eyebrows or they just aren't bothered by our faux pas.

As for the Casual evenings, if other guests feel naked without a jacket, I promise not to complain if they wear one!

I really wish the Restaurant Managers would spend more of their time insuring that our food is served hot (a real problem on our last cruise) and stop chasing my husband with a jacket to put over his chair.

Seabourn dress codes ......... I'm all for rules when it comes to safety & health at sea, or on land for that matter. However, IMO dress codes should not fall into a rules and regulations category, but more of a "guideline" for the evening's theme. If my husband feels there are way too many Elegant Casual evenings and decides to interpret that theme to his generation and comfort level (understated dress shirt with dark gabardine trousers) so let him. I know others would love to do the same but are too afraid. I, on the other hand, love to dress up every night - so that's what I do.......

As for the Casual evenings, if other guests feel naked without a jacket, I promise not to complain if they wear one!

I really wish the Restaurant Managers would spend more of their time insuring that our food is served hot (a real problem on our last cruise) and stop chasing my husband with a jacket to put over his chair.

I am glad you posted! Please know you all are not the only people who feel this way! We do too. On our last Seabourn cruise, my husband just let the RM hang the coat over the back of the chair on the couple of nights he didn't feel like a sports coat. I agree the staff does not need to be the clothes police, they need to spend their time making sure the table service is prompt and the food is hot or cold as needed...not room temperature!

The dress code is one area where I will welcome Seabourn becoming more like HAL....that dress code is stated as a "suggestion" and, at least, on the ships we have been on, people have dressed very nicely in clothes that were comfortable for them.

Edited by cwn

Oh Mon Dieu, Seabourntraveller broke a french grammar rule, should he/she be banned from posting for the day?

He has immunity!!!:eek:;):eek: Incroyable, mais ce n'est pas votre faute que vous etes francais!:rolleyes:

Zut alors et mettez vos vestons a la salle a manger...:-)

Edited by Seabourntraveller

Cette foule Seabourn est trop (LOL)! I am going to love Seabourn - Unfortunately my Francis Klein's lost a stone last week and I was told because France is on holiday the month of August I will not receive my missing peridot until September. I hope I will not stand out like a sore thumb in the dinning room. If anyone will be on Quest the week of August 10-17 then you will surely recognize me. I am the woman with the green cat-eye missing a peridot.

• 2 weeks later...
Jeans after 6pm...that is just rude. It takes away from proper attire. Leave the jeans for traveling or daytime play, but get out the decent dudes for evening were...

I don't really agree... For young trendy people there are highly fashionable jeans (designer) that by all means look much nicer than some other wore down trousers:rolleyes:! They can look awesome with a nice shirt, jacket or beautiful top!

Marja

I don't really agree... For young trendy people there are highly fashionable jeans (designer) that by all means look much nicer than some other wore down trousers:rolleyes:! They can look awesome with a nice shirt, jacket or beautiful top!

Marja

I agree with you 100% Marja :)

Edited by Love transatlantics

Marja

I couldn't agree more. It's too bad you don't work for Seabourn. It amazes me that they draw their clients from different cultures and age groups and still insist on putting us all in the same mold.

My business has an older clientele. I am perfectly aware that I must modernise things to attract younger customers if I want to stay in business for the next 20 some odd years. Why Seabourn doesn't do the same is beyond me.

I think Seabourn has made great strides in the past few years regarding dress code. It used to be that forma nights had no "optional" attached to them. Now you can dress in a jacket without tie if you wish. The best proof of this is their brochures. Remember when the models were all decked out in tuxedoes and gowns? Try and find a photo like that now!

I agree with Marja. I have seen $40.00 dockers/dress slacks from J.C. Penny's and I have seen dress jeans at $500.00 a pair that are usually black in color. You would not be able to tell they were jeans but they are. If you look at the fashion in GQ or Vanity Fair you will see upscale models dressed in designer jeans with great tops.

The demographics in the luxury cruise lines are changing. Some of the wealthiest people in the USA are casual dressers and probably would not conform to Seabourn or Crystal dress codes for example: Bill Gates and the late Steve Jobs who lived in nothing but jeans. Would you ever throw them out of the MDR?

Bill Gates and the late Steve Jobs who lived in nothing but jeans. Would you ever throw them out of the MDR?

They would never come on a mainstream cruise line,they choose to charter their own private yacht.

No dress code required.

• 3 weeks later...
In January my husband and I will be reaching our 100 day milestone on Seabourn. Do you think they will allow my husband to go up on stage to receive his pin (or whatever it is in the Tiffany bag) if he is not wearing a jacket?

Yes,as it's only a hundred day milestone.:)

Marja

For some the 2bit hooker look is trendy. That doesn't mean it belongs anywhere outside of a seedy street corner.

For some the 2bit hooker look is trendy. That doesn't mean it belongs anywhere outside of a seedy street corner.

This board takes me back 30 years to when I was in high school where many students were hung up on what others were wearing! Why are some passengers so preoccupied with the way others are dressed. Enjoy your cruises and let others enjoy theirs as well as they see fit.

Seabourn should continue to set the themes as SUGGESTED attire. For those who decide to interpret the requested theme to their own comfort level let them, remember it is their vacation too.

• 3 weeks later...
This board takes me back 30 years to when I was in high school where many students were hung up on what others were wearing! Why are some passengers so preoccupied with the way others are dressed. Enjoy your cruises and let others enjoy theirs as well as they see fit.

Seabourn should continue to set the themes as SUGGESTED attire. For those who decide to interpret the requested theme to their own comfort level let them, remember it is their vacation too.

I was going to waste key strokes but you've said exactly what I think. Others: get your values out of my wardrobe. :mad:

My wife and I are considering a 7 day Caribbean cruise aboard the Legend.

About the last thing either of us wants to do is pack/haul/wear uncomfortable/hot formalwear whilst in the tropics.

For those who look forward to putting on their ritz, so be it. However, we would appreciate it if you didn't look down on us as we enjoy ourselves.

It's a vacation after all. To each their own.

Not possessing first hand knowledge regarding the attire of a "2bit(sic) hooker", I leave it to your expertise in the field to make such a remark.

Edited by POPDISPLAY