Dress Code

gkgk123ca

Local17

Just disembarked the Quest Maiden TA last week (Malaga-Ft Laud)

Our pre-docs noted ONE formal evening ~being a long time Seabourn Crosser I knew this info was incorrect! In 11 years of Crossings we have always enjoyed THREE formal nights. I packed 3 formal's ~an additional 1 semi-formal. Wellll.....when we boarded in the Herald it stated: FOUR formal evenings! :confused:

Before we flew to Malaga I had e-mailed my good friends I would be traveling/crossing with ~~stating they should plan on THREE formals during our voyage ~~

Needless to say many passengers were quite upset as they had packed/brought only ONE formal. (I suppose the ladies had to shop in the Boutique ???)

If I were you I would plan now on THREE formal nights for your Dec. TA Crossing

Hope your weather/seas are smooth and sunny ~have fun!

Martita B.

I do wish (a) that SB would stick to the number of formal nights suggested in the pre-cruise documents, and

(b) that they - and many other lines - would simplify their descriptions of what to wear in the evenings. I suppose they are being 'posh' as we would say in the UK in using phrases like elegantly casual, country club casual etc. etc. It would be simpler, especially for new cruisers, if they used expressions like 'jacket required,

tie not essential' or 'jacket not required'. Some lines describe casual simply as 'shirt with collar required', which does cut out tee shirts. Women usually know what goes for them - I am surprised that 'sundresses' or 'pant suits' still show up. Hardly any woman wears a pantsuit now; trousers and a top certainly.

I do wish (a) that SB would stick to the number of formal nights suggested in the pre-cruise documents, and

(b) that they - and many other lines - would simplify their descriptions of what to wear in the evenings. >>>

Local17

Just disembarked the Quest Maiden TA last week (Malaga-Ft Laud)

Our pre-docs noted ONE formal evening ~being a long time Seabourn Crosser I knew this info was incorrect!

<<<>>>

In 11 years of Crossings we have always enjoyed THREE formal nights. . . . I packed 3 formal's ~an additional 1 semi-formal. Wellll.....when we boarded in the Herald it stated: FOUR formal evenings! :confused:

<<<>>>

Needless to say many passengers were quite upset as they had packed/brought only ONE formal. (I suppose the ladies had to shop in the Boutique ???) ...

Martita B.

Lincslady and Martita B,

Thank you for your response!

It was like pulling teeth trying to get Seabourn HQ to tell me how many nights of each of their 3 dress categories were going to be held on my cruise. They couldn't even get their 3 categories correct. It made me think my call was answered in a huge "cube farm" (cubicles / office) that routed the calls for all their lines.

It really shouldn't be this hard. These folks are ferrying around over half of all people who go on cruises***. Define 8 categories that are specific. From Black Tux Required required to Skinny Dipping (aka Chunky Dunking for the older set) and everything in between. Then let folks know what they need to pack. Very simple!

The end result would be a happier, better informed customer who could chose exactly what level of "posh" they want. This thread has over 20,000 views and 250 comments and still it's a muddle.

The bride and I want to go on a nice cruise line and be able to pack accordingly... Is that asking to much ? ? ?

Again THANKS,

Local 17

AIDA

Carnival

Costa

Cunard

Holland America

Ibero

P & O - UK

P & O - Australia

Princess

Seabourn

The combined brands of Carnival Corporation control a 51.6% share of the total worldwide cruise market

Local17

I predict you'll have 3 formal evenings on your TA Crossing ~please tell your bride to take a long black skirt ~a few glitzy tops (perhaps a black top with a pair of pearls) and she'll be set/ready for all the formal nights. As the Atlantic might be a little rough she may want to pack a pair of evening low heeled shoes. You can pack either a dark suit or a white dinner jacket and you'll be ready!

Seattle is having some growing pains, no doubt ~~we'll give them some time to sort the dress codes ~

Look forward to all those hazy, lazy, dazy, crazy, magical and wonderful sea days ~~my favorites! Service, foods, wines will be 10 stars ~enjoying all with sweet Staff/Crew & Guests.

Have a good week

Martita B

We are booked on back to back from Manaus to Fort Lauderdale and then onto Lisbon in March 2013

This is the end of a trip travelling through South America and we do not want to carry a case of formal clothes for the majority of the trip

Does anyone have experiences good or bad of shipping to the ship a case of clothes or how easy would it be to buy some formal clothes in Fort Lauderdale for the transatlantic part of our trip

Thoughts and suggestions would be much appreciated

We are booked on back to back from Manaus to Fort Lauderdale and then onto Lisbon in March 2013

This is the end of a trip travelling through South America and we do not want to carry a case of formal clothes for the majority of the trip

Does anyone have experiences good or bad of shipping to the ship a case of clothes or how easy would it be to buy some formal clothes in Fort Lauderdale for the transatlantic part of our trip

Thoughts and suggestions would be much appreciated

Haworth - what a fantastic trip! For what it is worth - shipping is very expensive, and for probably less money you could buy one or two tropical weight jackets (one dark/sober for formal. one lighter/ brighter for other evenings, as you are on board for quite a time). One white or cream shirt, two ties, (shirt easily washed or sent to the laundry) and you would have formal and 'elegant casual' covered, with a couple of more casual shirts for under the lighter jacket. Maybe this is still too much to schlep around S. America. I bet you could shop in F. Lauderdale on your day there; others will advise on this. You definitely do not NEED a DJ or dark suit, and would be far from alone if you didn't wear these.:)

Local17

I predict you'll have 3 formal evenings on your TA Crossing ~please tell your bride to take a long black skirt ~a few glitzy tops (perhaps a black top with a pair of pearls) and she'll be set/ready for all the formal nights. As the Atlantic might be a little rough she may want to pack a pair of evening low heeled shoes. You can pack either a dark suit or a white dinner jacket and you'll be ready!

Seattle is having some growing pains, no doubt ~~we'll give them some time to sort the dress codes ~

Look forward to all those hazy, lazy, dazy, crazy, magical and wonderful sea days ~~my favorites! Service, foods, wines will be 10 stars ~enjoying all with sweet Staff/Crew & Guests.

Have a good week

Martita B

Hey Texas Gal

Just wanted to say thank you for the "heads up" re the formal nights for the Quest TA, and your advice ensured I (and I had also passed this onto our US friends who joined us on the cruise) had packed extra for the formal nights - it was lovely wasn't it to see everyone dressed up and it made those lovely nights even more special - aaaaah happy memories. Low heeled shoes a must for the rock 'n' roll nights! But not too bad, after a couple of cocktails, it all balanced out, didn't it???:D:p

Thanks again Martha, oh and by the way, I also hijacked your recommendation for Grille 66 in FLL - fabulous food and just perfect for our last post-cruise dinner stateside! ;)

You should definitely check out Luggage Forward service (Seabourn dumped it's in house luggage forwarding department this fall in favor of LF). I used LF on my last cruise (Quest -Istanbul to Venice) and service was excellent. I've booked them for my LAX to Auckland Odyssey trip this January as well. Great door to door service and no trouble with massive bags through airports, customs, etc. Silversea's own Silversea Valet is also outstanding - maybe even better as it is still run "in house". I have used that service 8-10 times and would never ever lug 50 lb suitcases full of clothing - esp. formal wear - though an airport again. Just make sure you NEVER EVER LOCK your luggage. Even the TSA approved locks will be broken by foreign customs folks.

We have been on Seabourn when they HAVE excluded guests from the dining room for wearing jeans - and rightly so. You don't have to wear a suit or tie but not jeans. i think other guests forced the issue and caused the staff to act to enforce the code.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Two formal nights on 14nt Legend Dubai to Mumbai (Xmas Eve and NYE). VAST majority of gentlemen in Evening Jacket and Bow Tie, otherwise suites and ties. One evening Jacket and Bow Tie paired with a pair of jeans ( which I assume must have been very expensive and 'designed' by somebody famous). Said party NOT barred from MDR, though a couple of eyebrows were raised. There were a lot (too many) of 'elagantly casual' night requiring a jacket which coincided with the warmest nights of the cruise nearest to the equator - which was a bit of a nuisance, but most jackets came off after 10.00pm anyway.

Worst dress faux pas (an outrage in fact) was enacted by a gentleman of Teutonic extraction and ample girth who walked into the observation lounge during afternoon tea wearing (very) brief-style 'Speedos' and a pink polo shirt ( and nothing much else). Subject to a battery of chilling glares he soon departed without taking a seat or tea.

I should add that the ladies wore both long gowns and cocktail dresses in about equal measure, much gold cloth in evidence. My wife did wear her Kandy style Sari to dinner, but not on the formal nights, on the whole well received. I gave the sarongs a couple of run-outs, but only on deck. Very few white DJs.

• 2 weeks later...

Both self and partner love the chance to dress for dinner but a friend who would like to take our next sailing with us hates jackets.

He is quite happy to eat alone on some nights. The question is, on jacket nights what are his options? Will he have to hide in his cabin or is there a casual option he can use. We really want to encourage him to join us as he is such good fun, but the jackect for him is a no go.

He dresses quite well and is very smart, no jeans, wears a tie no problem!

Both self and partner love the chance to dress for dinner but a friend who would like to take our next sailing with us hates jackets.

He is quite happy to eat alone on some nights. The question is, on jacket nights what are his options? Will he have to hide in his cabin or is there a casual option he can use. We really want to encourage him to join us as he is such good fun, but the jackect for him is a no go.

Option 1: In-Suite Diner

Option 2: Sky Grill if open as an alternative

Option 3: Starve

• 2 weeks later...

I won't even wear jeans to the dining room on Carnival Cruise Line. Of course, the way everyone else doesn't dress on Carnivial might be one reason I am looking at Seabourn. Carnival was perfect with a teenager... but it is time to move up and move on! Hooray for empty nesting.

Put the jacket on to walk in the door, then take it off before he sits down at the table because he's warm. "Requirement" met. Help him keep an eye on it so he doesn't "accidently" leave it behind in the dining room. Could he make that compromise?

Put the jacket on to walk in the door, then take it off before he sits down at the table because he's warm. "Requirement" met. Help him keep an eye on it so he doesn't "accidently" leave it behind in the dining room. Could he make that compromise?

He won't be the only one...there were others doing that on our last cruise. One can be very formal on Seabourn and some people are. I am sure they like to dress up. However, it isn't necessary. One can meet the dress code and still be comfortable.

• 2 weeks later...