Dress Code

gkgk123ca

I was thinking it may be a generational trend---which is more accurate than "age related".  I just know that most of the people turning 40 that I know are a bit more casual in their approach than some in their 60s.  YMMV!

2 hours ago, SLSD said:

I was thinking it may be a generational trend---which is more accurate than "age related".  I just know that most of the people turning 40 that I know are a bit more casual in their approach than some in their 60s.  YMMV!

I think there may be some truth to that idea.  Many of us around the 60 and 70 ages have lived in a time when the tuxedo and the suit were seen as symbols of class or status.  Titled people, professionals and the wealthy wore such clothes.  Coal miners and tradesmen did not. Dressing for dinner was a sign of privilege.  While one may not actually mingle in the circles of higher society one could always aspire. Of course as they (we) got older we may have divided in our thinking. Some stayed with the old ways, reluctant perhaps to change a lifetime of thinking. Others, myself included, embraced the freedom of retirement and new experiences. For these individuals a more casual dress has become acceptable. How a person dresses is less important to me today than listening to their ideas. Perhaps a throw back to the 1960s acceptance of wild ideas. That’s not to say either path is better or worse, just different.

The generation that followed perhaps saw things through different eyes. Education became more accessible and the symbols of the class system in both the old and new world, though the system is very much still in existence, have become blurred. Casual Friday was adopted, to be followed by casual everyday. Tech millionaires wear jeans and ride motorcycles. Tattoos are no longer the badges of sailors and South Sea Islanders etc.. Perhaps branding has become the new differentiator. I would love to hear the thoughts of someone in their 40s on that question.

For myself, the tuxedo is a piece of history. (I was always one who looked like a crumpled penguin in any case). Whereas at one time I would have felt uncomfortable going to the office without a tie and would never have been seen there in a check shirt, today I am happy to wear that shirt without tie to dinner.  I do respect the Seabourn dress code so I avoid formal nights. I think it is wonderful that others get enjoyment from dressing as they wish and meeting like minded people.  I think the generation may have divided with age and march to different drums. We should simply do so with respect.

l look forward to comments.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Dusko said:

I think there may be some truth to that idea.  Many of us around the 60 and 70 ages have lived in a time when the tuxedo and the suit were seen as symbols of class or status.  Titled people, professionals and the wealthy wore such clothes.  Coal miners and tradesmen did not. Dressing for dinner was a sign of privilege.  While one may not actually mingle in the circles of higher society one could always aspire. Of course as they (we) got older we may have divided in our thinking. Some stayed with the old ways, reluctant perhaps to change a lifetime of thinking. Others, myself included, embraced the freedom of retirement and new experiences. For these individuals a more casual dress has become acceptable. How a person dresses is less important to me today than listening to their ideas. Perhaps a throw back to the 1960s acceptance of wild ideas. That’s not to say either path is better or worse, just different.

The generation that followed perhaps saw things through different eyes. Education became more accessible and the symbols of the class system in both the old and new world, though the system is very much still in existence, have become blurred. Casual Friday was adopted, to be followed by casual everyday. Tech millionaires wear jeans and ride motorcycles. Tattoos are no longer the badges of sailors and South Sea Islanders etc.. Perhaps branding has become the new differentiator. I would love to hear the thoughts of someone in their 40s on that question.

For myself, the tuxedo is a piece of history. (I was always one who looked like a crumpled penguin in any case). Whereas at one time I would have felt uncomfortable going to the office without a tie and would never have been seen there in a check shirt, today I am happy to wear that shirt without tie to dinner.  I do respect the Seabourn dress code so I avoid formal nights. I think it is wonderful that others get enjoyment from dressing as they wish and meeting like minded people.  I think the generation may have divided with age and march to different drums. We should simply do so with respect.

l look forward to comments.

My sentiments exactly. Well thought out post. 

This is my first time reading and then posting on the Seabourn thread. The reason for the interest is that today our traveling companions brought up looking into Seaborne for a 2020 cruise.

We are all in our seventies, very well traveled and very active. Between the 4 of us we have been on 8 different cruise lines. After reading the suggested dress code we decided Seabourn isn’t for us

We are just all done with tuxedos and gowns. The men prefer casual pants(not jeans in MDR!), with a nice long sleeved shirt, no tie and a sport coat at best. The women would prefer dressy slacks or skirt with dressy top. 

Too bad because Seabourn seems like it could be a nice option otherwise. We just want to relax while traveling and this dress code defeats the purpose for us.........

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

josumello,  Please reconsider Seabourn.  MOST passengers dress as you are describing.  While I'm not one to pay a lot of attention to how everyone is dressed at dinner, I DO know that MANY men wear a nice long sleeved shirt and slacks with sometimes a sport coat.  Most women do wear slacks or skirt with a nice top.  You will NOT be in a minority dressing like this.  

There is no need to even think about packing a tux or a suit.  And there is not a necessity for women to pack a formal gown or even a cocktail dress.  First, there are nonformal venues to dine in on formal evenings--and some of us just pack a black dress or sports coat/tie for the formal evenings.  

Edited by SLSD
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Formal,night on Seabourn is not tuxedos and gowns ! It actually is casual pants with  long sleeved shirt and sports jacket . My god,what's so difficult about that. I was a firefighter in NYC for 28 years,and wore a uniform . It wasn't optional,and considering the work load,did it really matter?  However, it was a rule and was enforced. I'm now retired living in Florida where I usually wear shorts and tee shirts . However, I'm now a teacher in a school with a dress code. I wear khakis and a school polo shirt,as do the students. Maybe I should just ignore that dress code,because it doesn't suit me. If you don't like Seabourns dress code,there's plenty of other options. However,flaunting it is just plain arrogance. Go ahead and flame me if you want.However, after 28 years with FDNY, it certainly is small potatoes.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

I don't think anyone is even talking about flaunting the dress code fdnycruiser, they are just questioning exactly what it is--and whether it fits with their idea of a vacation experience.  I understand that.  

I am just trying to explain that it is not necessary to bring a tux or even a suit on a SB cruise.  Men on formal nights wear anything from a tux or suit to a sports coat with our without tie.  Others decide to dine in the Colonnade or at Earth and Sky--or Sushi on Ovation and Encore.  Women wear anything from a formal gown to a cocktail dress to a little black dress or slacks with a dressy blouse.  The point is--there is a WIDE range of choices that ALL fit within the dress code. 

Most nights my husband chooses to wear a sports coat with tie--mainly because he is comfortable dressed that way and is used to doing it.  He KNOWS he could go without the tie or the jacket and still fit in the dress code parameters.  I tend to wear a dress or silk pants and top to dinner.  I also fit in the dress code and never feel under dressed.  Many women are less dressed up than I am.  

I think everyone just wants to be appropriately dressed and are trying to figure out what that is.  

• Like 4

I love to dress up on the ship at night time ! I feel as if it makes it more special - like " date night " with my husband. However, during the daytime - I am often in my workout clothes all day! Exercise class in the morning, breakfast, walk around the outside decks for fresh air, bridge in the afternoons on sea days and then into nice clothes.

For those new to Seabourn - the patio next to the pool has great food and we often eat there to relax ( we do not dress up for that ) Colonade is informal as well. What is most important is to have fun! Relax... appreciate life.

Many thank to the person who dedicated his life to fire fighting - I love the Fire fighters - you are always the first ones to arrive at any emergency - thank you for your service. Brooke

• Like 1

On 4/15/2019 at 1:24 AM, T&C Fulham said:

We saw one guy go into TK on formal night wearing a tee shirt !

We always go to TKG on formal nights because the formal dress code doesn’t apply there. But we do make sure to wear something with a collar. 

Josumello.....We found “formal night” no more formal than a jacket with or without a tie for men, maybe a suit here or there & dressy trousers and silk blouse or a nice dress for the ladies.  Tuxedos & Gowns were.....let me see....about 4 people. This was a fully booked Mediterranean cruise in May on The Encore.  Everyone looked great & totally appropriate.   We embark again this May on The Ovation.....my husband will be packing a sports coat & trousers.....no suit.   Along with nice trousers and sweaters for the Spring weather (Lisbon to Amsterdam).   Me.....a casual dress or two and a few slightly dressy trouser ensembles & a great warm wrap.  Dressing appropriate is easy on Seabourn.   For the few who go all out formal.....more power to you.  This should be fun whatever your preference.   I think Seabourn allows for the perfect balance. 

• Like 2

Seabourn do themselves no favours by not enforcing the dress code what ever that code maybe. Just go to their web site and you won't see the t/shirt brigade any where. I'm not for the Tux and Penguin Suits standard but I still fronted to the MDR and TK in suitable attire and so did the Mrs's. We are not talking about a backpackers cruise, Seabourn peddle their wares as a luxury experience and then turn a blind eye to bogan attire thats no place in any top end restaurant in any setting (sea or land). We all have choice and Seabourn provide that choice in the varied eating establishments onboard. We chose the patio on a number of occasions, because we didn't feel like glaming for the evening. But the standard was we could have eaten in the MDR in our jeans, sneakers and t/shirt and no one would have given a preverbable. I put it on Seabourn not the passengers testing the system.

Just go to their web site and you won't see the t/shirt brigade any where.

I made this point some time ago. Thank you for reminding us - and hopefully Seabourn.

Those pictures in the advertising are what they believe they are selling to fill their vessels. They are letting those customers down if that is not the experience they find when aboard. If I see a red car in an advertisement and it turns out to be green when it arrives I feel cheated. OK this is a more extreme deception but it is the way some people see things.

I put it on Seabourn not the passengers testing the system.

Agreed.

Edited by T&C Fulham

On 4/26/2019 at 3:00 AM, wripro said:

Those pictures in the brochures also show nothing but beautiful people on board. Does that mean if I'm not beautiful I'm not adhering to the Seabourn "looks" code?

Isn’t beauty “in the eye of the beholder” ?

My wife and I always have a good chuckle when a new Seabourn brochure arrives. DW usually says, “never seen anybody that looks like this onboard”

Seabourn have been using mostly the same photos for years now.

I was watching “Able Seaman H” excellent video yesterday taken on Sojourn , didn’t see any of the Seabourn model types.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, SKP946 said:

I was watching “Able Seaman H” excellent video yesterday taken on Sojourn , didn’t see any of the Seabourn model types.

Well I'm just devastated to read that.  I'm in that video. Just a glimpse, mind. 😉

• Haha 3