Dress Code

gkgk123ca

I just wonder why people sign up for something, knowing the requirements and then feel they can ignore them. There are plenty of alternatives outthere to meet your style. Unfortunately,there are fewer and fewer cruises that cater to the more formal style some of us still enjoy and seek - even if it is one or two nights out of the whiole cruise. And when we find them, it bothers me that others try to change it.

Simple answer

Because I want and can well afford the vastly better service and food provided on a Seabourn cruise.

If you don't like my attire, look in another direction.

Per your standard, if a man wore pink shoes, bright green pants, a yellow shirt, a purple bow tie, and a black jacket with big bright red polka dots, he would meet the requirements for entry into the dining room. Would you still have a problem? If so, your issue has evolved from adherence to a policy to a matter of taste and opinion.

Simple answer

Because I want and can well afford the vastly better service and food provided on a Seabourn cruise.

If you don't like my attire, look in another direction.

Per your standard, if a man wore pink shoes, bright green pants, a yellow shirt, a purple bow tie, and a black jacket with big bright red polka dots, he would meet the requirements for entry into the dining room. Would you still have a problem? If so, your issue has evolved from adherence to a policy to a matter of taste and opinion.

Great response, I totally share your opinions. But you've already seen my husband :confused:, I wonder where?

Great response, I totally share your opinions. But you've already seen my husband :confused:, I wonder where?

Love it - but I think it mas MY husband you saw! In an earlier post I referred to good manners in dress - I was essentially thinking of the staff who have to police the dress code - or not - not other passengers. I have seen senior restaurant staff trying to tactfully tell passengers they are not 'suitably dressed' at the restaurant door, and feel sorry for them when it occasionally causes a ruckus. I know the staff are trained for these eventualities, but I personally still find it awkward if there is an altercation at the door (have seen it happen). I am sure the code will change, but for the above reason I would abide by the rules if I want to cruise Seabourn, and dine elsewhere if I were not prepared to pack or get my DH to wear a jacket/tie combo. Guess I just don't like 'rocking the boat'.;)

• 2 weeks later...
Per your standard, if a man wore pink shoes, bright green pants, a yellow shirt, a purple bow tie, and a black jacket with big bright red polka dots, he would meet the requirements for entry into the dining room.

Your friend was on the Quest - eastern Med - at the beginning of October. You've forgotten his wardrobe of unusually coloured leather trousers. Fine by me as long as he wears the jacket on the appropriate nights.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I'm compelled to comment, though I know it will go badly for me! Funniest thread I've ever read. Can't wait to be aboard Pride in April.

I am bringing one sport coat, or maybe my only suit (though I said I'd not wear it again until my funeral)...but probably not both. Fellow travelers will have to get used to me in it every night or toss me overboard.

Or maybe I will eat in my room a lot! Traveling light compels it, as I have to drag DW's bag as well. Let's all TRY to have a good time...that's why we're here isn't it! ---Bob---

I'm compelled to comment, though I know it will go badly for me! Funniest thread I've ever read. Can't wait to be aboard Pride in April.

I am bringing one sport coat, or maybe my only suit (though I said I'd not wear it again until my funeral)...but probably not both. Fellow travelers will have to get used to me in it every night or toss me overboard.....---Bob---

One sports coat and a tie is all my DH brings and we eat in the MDR almost every night... now, of course, I bring way more than I seem to ever wear....just in case...you know!

These dress code threads have little relation to the reality on the ships, but they are good for a laugh sometimes!

Roxburgh...some people have no sense of humor. I have been on 4 other Seabourn cruises. I don't think I have ever seen a pair of jeans. I have always thought it hysterical that there have always been so many places that men can't wear jeans all all, ever, under any circumstances, but women can wear "designer" jeans to the swankiest places. That's pretty goofy and pretty sexist. Why can't men wear designer jeans, too? Seabourn solved it. No sexism...no jeans, no matter who designed 'em. But...I am wearing jeans for some shore excursions, maybe with my dinner jacket.

I don't think women can wear jeans in the MDR either. And unfortunately this rule was put in place a few years ago to cover incidents like the one we faced a few years ago on a Baltic cruise where a man and his significant other showed up at the MDR for dinner in their "artistically" shredded and distressed jeans which may or may not have cost a pretty penny but were totally out of place there.

I have a black tuxedo as well as a white dinner jacket. Would either be apropos?

(The white jacket makes me feel like humming Vic Damone tunes, so I like to find opportunities to wear it.)

Peter

We will be on the Legend in a few months. It lists one formal night but I have been told by others that a sport jacket is all that my husband will need. My question is similar to yours; do people dress for formal nights or is it country club casual each night?

Peter - The white dinner jacket is acceptable -- especially on Caribbean or tropical cruises.

Mapu - Many people do dress formally for "formal night" -- us included. Most of the gentlemen who did not wear tuxes in the Restaurant wore dark suits -- not that many were as informally dressed as a sport coat and tie. A sport coat( with or without tie) is fine for a majority of the other evenings which are designated elegant casual. The first and last nights will be "casual" -- there may be an additional casual night if the weather is warm and a deck bar-b-que is scheduled. If you don't want to dress up at night you can dine in the Veranadah/Restuarant2.

Mapu - while I agree with Chairsin that not many men will be in a sports coat (preferably fairly sober, and ideally with a tie) there will be some dressed so on a formal night in the dining room, and it is certainly considered acceptable by the Maitre'd. My husband nowadays only takes his dinner jacket if there is more than one formal night; it is a lot extra to carry along if not really needed, and he feels OK in a dark sports jacket with tie and fairly dark or neutral trousers (definitely not chinos or jeans).

The current dress code states ' jeans - not allowed in the restaurant after 1800 hours and not in any venue (including deck grills) on Formal nights.' I quote this from information received yesterday in our booking details, so presume it is up to date and correct.

The current dress code states ' jeans - not allowed in the restaurant after 1800 hours and not in any venue (including deck grills) on Formal nights.' I quote this from information received yesterday in our booking details, so presume it is up to date and correct.

So this would infer that jeans ARE allowed in any venue (including deck grills) on all nights ,except the Formal Optional Night . On a 2 week cruise i did recently there was only one Formal Optional night.

So this would infer that jeans ARE allowed in any venue (including deck grills) on all nights ,except the Formal Optional Night . On a 2 week cruise i did recently there was only one Formal Optional night.

That would certainly would be what I would infer from this ruling. Normally I would say you do not see many jeans in the evening in the Colonnade/Veranda cafe, but it would look as if they are allowed, and certainly they would not seem to me to be at all out of place at the Patio Grill or Sky Bar grill.