Luggage ???

Howasaur

We are going on the Prinsendam this Nov. on the Amazon Adventure Cruise. Most of our cruises have been 1 and 2 weeks and we were able to pack everything in two suitcases That one for my wife and one for myself. I realize they have laundry service and self serve, but i'm really wondering if we need at least one more suitcase. We travel by Air to the port and it seems the Airlines just love to charge for that second suitcase. Just wondering what other people take on cruise that are 21 days in length.

Went for a 20 day cruise (plus 3 days before and 2 after) last year with only one checked bag per person, and one carry on per person, and much to our surprise, the checked bags weren't even jammed. And, yes, we took formal clothes- tux, etc.

We have started taking along a collapses-to-nothing nylon bag, in one of our other suitcases. Then if we need the extra space for returning home (think "souvenirs") we have the extra bag.

Lots of people say "pack for 7 days" but our reality is that we have to do several days of travel before we board the cruiseship. We can do 17 days of travel with 2 checked bags and 2 carryons. That includes formalwear and assorted shoes :) I think we'd be able to do very similar for a 21 day cruise plus 3 or 4 travel days, using the onboard laundry service.

However, if you think you'll be overweight on one of your checked bags, you are probably much cheaper to take an extra checked bag, vs paying the overweight fee.

We carry the same amount pretty much regardless of whether it's a long cruise or short. The laundry service is a splurge that we just add to the cost of the cruise...minimal! It's too difficult to shlep luggage through airports, etc. at our age. Minimal it is. (one bag each and one carryon does it...45-day cruise coming up!)

Prinsendam is designed for longer trips, and most cabins have more storage space than other HAL ships. If you decide to take one extra bag each, you shouldn't have trouble stowing the stuff.

I did Prinsendam in November/Mediterranean and TA. Even with rain coat, gloves, hat, sweaters, could do it in one large bag and carry on. And didn't even need the carry on except for my laptop and books.

You'll probably have a black and white ball (officers all in dress whites). It is way cool.

The walk in closets are wonderful.

We are going on the Prinsendam this Nov. on the Amazon Adventure Cruise. Most of our cruises have been 1 and 2 weeks and we were able to pack everything in two suitcases That one for my wife and one for myself. I realize they have laundry service and self serve, but i'm really wondering if we need at least one more suitcase. We travel by Air to the port and it seems the Airlines just love to charge for that second suitcase. Just wondering what other people take on cruise that are 21 days in length.

We normally drive to the port & for all our cruises & take 3 checked bags which includes a rolling hanging garment bag, plus two carry-ons for our 21 day & longer cruises..We don't jam our clothes into bags..

When we flew to Alaska in Aug of 2008 for a HAL Cruise-tour, we checked the same three bags..When we flew home from Vancouver, they permitted us to check three bags, but don't know if they still do..

This is the way we figure..We are paying thousands of dollars for a long vacation & if we have to pay $50 to $100 more for one extra checked bag, so be it..We include this as part of our cruise budget..We would rather pay for the extra bag than for an over-weight bag..

However HAL has laundry by the bag for $20..You can squeeze a lot of clothes into that one bag by rolling things very tightly..I roll & DH squeezes it all into the bag including putting socks in the corners..The bag is usually so heavy that we just leave it on the bed..We don't put it outside the door as we're afraid it could break the hook...

In addition HAL has reasonable unlimited laundry rates...Krazy Kruisers recently posted them..

As another poster mentioned you can wash on the Prinsendam for free, but we decided were on vacation & don't want to do laundry..

Just realized that you are from Calgary..Aren't you permitted to check two bags each on the airline you will use.?.It's an International flight..

BTW you will love the Amazon cruise on the Prinsendam, our favorite ship :):) & also love the walk in closets..When you get to Fla try to get the dollar store to get little toys, etc for the kids on Boca da Valeria, but that's another story..

Enjoy your Cruise..

Cheers.....:)Betty

We just came back from the BA to Ft Lauderdale on the Prinsendam. Loved our Oceanview room which had as much space as a Veranda Room. We had 4 suitcases which we couldn't get under the beds. The beds must be lower on the Prinsendam than on the rest of the HAL fleet. So we just asked our Room Steward if he could store them rather than have the suitcases clutter up the room. He brought them back to us on the last day for packing.

We had a cabin crawl when we where on the Prinsendam so we got to see the small Inside, the new larger Inside, the Oceanview, Veranda and Veranda Suite. I also noticed that the closer you were to the atrium the quiter the rooms were for sleeping. We were in the last of E's 314 on the Port side. And I thought our room was the quietest we have had on any HAL ship.

We use one medium suitcase and one carry-on/pp on trips up to 24 days.

Kirk

would you like to share your packing tips? We usually have to take 2 large ones or 1 large & 2 medium. If we take the 2 large only, I pack a collapseable bag for souvenirs (or dirty laundry and put the souvenirs in the suitcases.

would you like to share your packing tips? We usually have to take 2 large ones or 1 large & 2 medium. If we take the 2 large only, I pack a collapseable bag for souvenirs (or dirty laundry and put the souvenirs in the suitcases.

We have gone from so much to not so much. This past cruise we took a large garment bag, which holds lots of stuff and even with all that weighed about 40 pounds. One large suitcase and a carry on. I have a large Vera Bradley back pack that I brought on and was great for shore excursions. Coming back I had a bag with souvenirs thus two carry ons and my husband had the carry on and his computer bag. So basically :D 2 large suitcases and one carry one.

I use 2 Sampsonite Wheelie 29 inch and a small knapsack for shore. and it is enough for a 30 day cruise, with 8-10 formal nights They fit under the bed and best of all we can each push them around without a porter or cart... They are amazing. We also found that we can roll these babies off ourselves so we can debark before anyone else with our own stuff and save hours waiting and search for bags and cabs...

Unless I am diving I have tons of space left over at that. Same with my wife... we do or have laundry done every 10 days... Just pack as you would for a 7 day.... and clean up. each week. you dont need a new outfit for each day for 21 days, For Shore trips in the tropics the new microfiber pants and shirts with zip off legs to become shorts can be washed in the sink and dry within 30 min..... Northface and Mountain Hardware are good brands.

As someone suggested less in more... and hey if it isnt.... they have stores where you are going for that item you dont have enough of.

I have one 25" checked bag and a carryon. That did me for a 32 day cruise. Also sufficed for 26 days. I was a lot of underwear by hand, send out the $20 bag, etc. if the ship has a laundromat, I did laundry. People say it is vacation, they aren't doing laundry, but it is worth it to me to not have to drag an extra suitcase around in airport, etc. EM

Archived