Mexican vanilla

crusing48/51

Hi all, DH and I will be cruising to Cozmel and I am wanting to purchase some Mexican vanilla to bring home as soveniers. Does anyone know if there is a limit on how many bottles may be brought on the ship, and will pass through customs? I am thinking I'll want to try and bring back 6 bottles, if posssible. Thank you for any information!

You can put them in your checked bag (if flying) or they must under 3oz & fit in the 3-1-1 bag rule

Watch the alcohol content on some bottles some are almost 95% alcohol not much vanilla;)

Thank you both! We are driving to Tampa, so airlines are not an issue. I will check alcohol content, and the ingredient that affects blood clotting(can't remember the name of it, hopefully will when I see it), as my Mom has an issue with that.

Thank you both! We are driving to Tampa, so airlines are not an issue. I will check alcohol content, and the ingredient that affects blood clotting(can't remember the name of it, hopefully will when I see it), as my Mom has an issue with that.

Coumarin. Unfortunately, this won't be listed on the bottle. This is in "Mexican Vanilla" that isn't even vanilla at all, though it's labeled as such. It's made from a completely different plant; beans from a Tonka tree. Extract from these beans contains Coumarin, which is related to Warfain, which interfers with blood clotting. Looks and smells like vanilla, so you won't be able to tell the difference. If it says, “Extracto de vainilla” or “Vainilla" don't buy it. Products that meet US standards must have complete English labeling (except in Puerto Rico). No English label = probably fake product. If you purchase this, and Customs finds it, it will be confiscated (though I would think risk small with that).

It's honestly not worth the risk, if this may be dangerous to your mom. And, it's not a bargain anyway, if it's not vanilla.

DW likes to point out that if you watch any of the cooking shows in TV (or talk to nearly any professional chef), most of them will only use "Bourbon Vanilla" (which comes from Madagascar) or real vanilla beans. We live in Mexico 2 months a year and will not use Mexican Vanilla because we cannot be certain what is in the bottle. Courmarin is not good stuff (it is banned in the US) and one just cannot be sure if that is what is in the bottle.

Hank

There is only one relatively sure-fire way to ensure that the Mexican Vanilla you buy is the real thing.

If it costs more than the real vanilla at home, it is most likely the real thing.

But then why would you elect to pay more in Mexico than you would pay at home?

Better to save your tourist dollars and purchase something else on your holiday.

There is only one relatively sure-fire way to ensure that the Mexican Vanilla you buy is the real thing.

If it costs more than the real vanilla at home, it is most likely the real thing.

But then why would you elect to pay more in Mexico than you would pay at home?

Better to save your tourist dollars and purchase something else on your holiday.

Exactly.

I purchase vanilla beans (when traveling) and make my own vanilla. It's actually very easy and I like it better than the bought stuff. Also easier to bring back :).

Recipe is a bottle of vodka, rum or everclear and place in approx 2-3 beans split (depends on size of bottle, I used a quart). Then leave it a dark place for as long as you can, minimum 2 months should be about 6 months. Then you can split it up into smaller bottles and give it away as gifts.

Wow, I want to thank you all for the information. It seems that I actually won't be purchasing Mexican vanilla. The risks outweigh the good things I've heard about using it. Also, the recipe spny84 provided sounds easy and much better(knowing exactly what is in it)for use. I will spend my money on something else. Thank you all!

I purchase vanilla beans (when traveling) and make my own vanilla. It's actually very easy and I like it better than the bought stuff. Also easier to bring back :).

Yes! I do this too and it is much more economical. And fun. :)

What I did do was to purchase a bottle of vodka in the onboard duty-free shop; they will have specials so watch for this. We got two bottles for less than $20, and then I made my own vanilla with vanilla beans I had purchased online. I use the same method as spny84, but I use a lot more vanilla beans. I also strain the vanilla using a coffee filter to catch any of the seeds. The seeds are gold but they don't look so good in your buttercream icing. ;)

Coumarin. Unfortunately, this won't be listed on the bottle. This is in "Mexican Vanilla" that isn't even vanilla at all, though it's labeled as such. It's made from a completely different plant; beans from a Tonka tree. Extract from these beans contains Coumarin, which is related to Warfain, which interfers with blood clotting. Looks and smells like vanilla, so you won't be able to tell the difference. If it says, “Extracto de vainilla” or “Vainilla" don't buy it. Products that meet US standards must have complete English labeling (except in Puerto Rico). No English label = probably fake product. If you purchase this, and Customs finds it, it will be confiscated (though I would think risk small with that).

It's honestly not worth the risk, if this may be dangerous to your mom. And, it's not a bargain anyway, if it's not vanilla.

My MIL brought back several liters of Vanilla from Mexico years ago. It has to be about 18 years ago ( Vanilla doesn't go bad). The bottles are glass and read "Vanilla Pura" and "No contiene cumarina". "contiente extracto Liquido de vanilla en rama sin alcohol". What I buy at the grocery store is Vanilla extract and sometimes "vanilla flavoring" which is not even vanilla extract.

So I would look for these statements on the label. No alcohol and no coumarin. The flavor is fantastic. Why would you say it is a fake product if the label isn't in English? MIL brought it back over the border into Texas without any problems.

My MIL brought back several liters of Vanilla from Mexico years ago. It has to be about 18 years ago ( Vanilla doesn't go bad). The bottles are glass and read "Vanilla Pura" and "No contiene cumarina". "contiente extracto Liquido de vanilla en rama sin alcohol". What I buy at the grocery store is Vanilla extract and sometimes "vanilla flavoring" which is not even vanilla extract.

So I would look for these statements on the label. No alcohol and no coumarin. The flavor is fantastic. Why would you say it is a fake product if the label isn't in English? MIL brought it back over the border into Texas without any problems.

Although US Food Purity Laws are a joke, Mexico doesn't even have any food purity laws to speak of.

They can print anything they want on any food label, and get away with it.

You say the flavor is fantastic. Extract of Tonka bean (with Coumarin) tastes really great.

That's why they use it for rat poison. Rats think it tastes fantastic too.

The only really reliable way to know what you have purchased is to have a chemist test it.

US Customs officers have very little interest in confiscating things like tonka bean extract.

They have far bigger fish to catch.

The very best Mexican Vanilla I have ever purchased (and I think we have tried them all) is called PALAPA Vanilla. I have never seen it sold in a plastic bottle, only glass. But I can tell you that this has a flavor unlike any of the others. It is the best of the best when it comes to Mexican Vanilla. Even the little ones knew when I ran out as the flavor of home baked goodies just wasn't as good as before. So far, I have not been able to find it anywhere here in the States, but I sure wish I could. :)

Archived