VAT tax charged on ship when cruising the Med?

I read in one other post that if you have a cruise that only cruises in the European Union, that an 8% VAT tax was added to all purchases onboard. I've done a ton of research, and only found one mention of it. Can anyone confirm or deny this? We are leaving on a Italy/Croatia/Greece cruise soon and want to know if I should buy my wine package in advance to avoid the tax. (I would prefer to wait until we are on board to make sure the have in stock the wines I want)

I read in one other post that if you have a cruise that only cruises in the European Union, that an 8% VAT tax was added to all purchases onboard. I've done a ton of research, and only found one mention of it. Can anyone confirm or deny this? We are leaving on a Italy/Croatia/Greece cruise soon and want to know if I should buy my wine package in advance to avoid the tax. (I would prefer to wait until we are on board to make sure the have in stock the wines I want)

Croatia is not part of the EU so it should not apply.

Its only on cruises that sail from and return to Spain and don't leave the EU. Where it is applicable it is not possible to buy the wine package or soda package online beforehand, you must wait until you board and tax is added.

On ships that only call into Spain the tax is added to any purchases made while in Spanish waters.

Julie

The Spanish VAT is charged on ships sailing from Spain that do not leave the EU.

Your ship is sailing from Italy and visiting a non EU country (Croatia) so Spanish VAT does not apply in either instance.

Edited by Albert Ross

Its only on cruises that sail from and return to Spain and don't leave the EU. Where it is applicable it is not possible to buy the wine package or soda package online beforehand, you must wait until you board and tax is added.

On ships that only call into Spain the tax is added to any purchases made while in Spanish waters.

Julie

They appear to have resolved the problem of adding VAT to online orders as we can book and pay for beverage packages for our upcoming Liberty sailing out of Barcelona that only calls at EU ports.

We have also been able to make reservations for the speciality restaurants and make payment online.

Edited by peteukmcr

They appear to have resolved the problem of adding VAT to online orders as we can book and pay for beverage packages for our upcoming Liberty sailing out of Barcelona that only calls at EU ports.

We have also been able to make reservations for the speciality restaurants and make payment online.

Thats good to hear, we always like to pay for as much as possible in advance if we can.

Julie

That is good to learn. Thanks for the update.

• 1 month later...

Just seen the recent Compass from the Voyager sailing from Venice which calls at Croatia and no Spanish ports and I note that the Compass does state that the VAT applies!

Will this still be the case if I make advance bookings for wine etc?

Karen

Just seen the recent Compass from the Voyager sailing from Venice which calls at Croatia and no Spanish ports and I note that the Compass does state that the VAT applies!

Will this still be the case if I make advance bookings for wine etc?

Karen

Hi Karen, sorry to hear that VAT now appears to be charged when sailing from Venice. Hard to understand as Croatia is still not part of the EU and not expected to be until around 2013. Having not sailed from Venice I can't offer any more advice, sorry.

However, if VAT is now being charged, and you can pre-book, or pre-order stuff online, then it should include the VAT.

Edited by peteukmcr

Have just emailed Royal and asked for clarification and pointed out to them that Croatia is not in EU and asked why they are moving the goalposts constantly?

Will post when, and if, I get a response. Shame that this could not have stayed on the Royal forum as it does seem that they are the main culprits.

So if we make any advance purchases they will charge us the VAT in advance too?

Off to check out that Voyager Compass again.

Karen

Have just emailed Royal and asked for clarification and pointed out to them that Croatia is not in EU and asked why they are moving the goalposts constantly?

Will post when, and if, I get a response. Shame that this could not have stayed on the Royal forum as it does seem that they are the main culprits.

So if we make any advance purchases they will charge us the VAT in advance too?

Off to check out that Voyager Compass again.

Karen

As other posts, it's rather confused, not helped by different cruisers on the same cruise posting different answers :confused:, eg it's charged for the duration of the cruise/it's only charged whilst in spanish waters. I'm sure there's a stack of cruisers who don't have a clue what they've been charged - even some who confuse the tax & the service charge.:rolleyes:

Certainly it was the spanish who started this, applicable to cruises entirely within the EU. Don't know if it's spread to other EU turnaround ports.

EU law, whichever way it's interpreted, is EU-wide so ex-Spain shouldn't be any different to ex-Italy.

And the tax applies to the point of delivery, not the point of payment. So pre-payment should make no difference.

But such anomolies do exist within the eurobeaurocracy.

And yes, the frequent references that I've seen to this tax have all involved RCI

But I've not come across any mention of the charge on cruises which include a non-EU port, such as Gib, Tunisia, Turkey, Egypt, Israel, Croatia.

On NCL Jade last week (ex-Venice, to Greece, Turkey, Croatia) it very definately was not charged.

"Curiouser and curiouser", said Alice ;)

John Bull :)

Edited by John Bull

Hmm

Just re-read the item in the Voyager Compass and it states that it is only charged on cruises calling at all EU ports - and that trip called at Croatia too!

Same stated on the Royal website FAQ section. Will wait and see what they say. May even drop my TA a line to see their understanding, although they are seeming to be as much use as the proverbial chocolate tea pot at the moment.

Karen

On Norwegian Jade in May 2011 we were charged taxes in the gift shop on a cruise from Venice to Greek Islands (round-trip).

Don't know about wine packages, but I would be surprised if they charge tax on-board but not in advance.

Julie

Hi there Julie, I noticed you are sailing on Adventure of the Seas 3/11/12 - I have also booked to go on this transatlantic sailing, I was wondering if you knew if the spanish vat tax thing would be applicable to this cruise at it leaves from Malaga , Will we have to pay extra

Thanks

This is the response I have received via my TA from RCI

I have been in contact with Royal Caribbean and they have advised me that you will not be paying VAT in Croatia.

They have advised me that the only place that charges tax is Spain and you are not travelling there.

We were on Adventure last year and the tax was added as it visited Spain and exclusively EU ports only.

Still unsure as to their response as it states that we will not be paying VAT in Croatia - wonder about the rest of the trip!!.

Karen

I asked the TA for clarification and this is what I got!!

Like I have explained in my previous email you will not be charged VAT. The only place which charge VAT is Spain, they add on their Spanish tax.

I have had this confirmed by Royal Caribbean.

Let's hope that this is the actual case!

Karen

I don't think your TA understands - you are refering to the VAT being charged on ALL ships transactions during the time onboard and NOT the VAT you are being charged once ashore.

Did you say Voyager Venice to Venice? THAT would be Italien VAT to start with and not Spanish VAT BUT since you have Dubrovnik / Croatia it should exempt the cruise since it actually leaves the EU.

I'm am just off Grand Princess. When we called into Vigo, the additional 8% Tax that was previously being charged by Spain, was NOT charged this time. so maybe it's been dropped?

When it was charged, it was on the base price of what you were buying, then the ships 15% service charge was added. As all shops on the ship are closed when in port the only thing you should be paying it on are drinks.

I think some cruise lines are trying to get one over their passengers with this charge. If Spain are still charging this 8% then it is ONLY while the ship is in a Spanish Port. Spain does not have the jurisdiction to make this charge when the ship is in a different country.

Other countries may impose their own tax when the ship is in their ports, but I do not know of any other EU country that is doing it.

Ah, Dave- I'm just off Ventura, and P&O certainly did charge the 8% in Malaga, where I bought a lager....and there was the VAT on the receipt. I'm not sure about Vigo, though, as we were off the ship most of the time.

It was in the daily paper that this would be charged, so there was no excuse for not knowing (at least there's no 15% on top!)

Jo.