Off Ship Very Early

bionicbeacher

We are arriving in Venice on the Star Princess according to the itinerary at 4 AM.

Has anyone had experience with getting off the ship at that time or shortly after wards.

Our flight out of Venice is at 7:05 AM and we have to be at the airport by at least 5 - 5:30 AM

We would appreciate any info with those who have actually done this in the past.

Thanks

Ken

I wouldn't want to risk this itinerary. I would get a later flight for sure...departure 11:00 am at the very earliest.

I'm getting heart palpitations thinking about your itinerary! :eek:

I wouldn't want to risk it either. You said your flight out is at 7:05am. I am hoping that you have not paid and made the reservation yet. That is so risky. You would be lucky to be even off the ship by the flight time.

I noticed that you have several other cruises in your history. Did you always have your flight so soon as the ship arrives?

We are arriving in Venice on the Star Princess according to the itinerary at 4 AM.

Has anyone had experience with getting off the ship at that time or shortly after wards.

Our flight out of Venice is at 7:05 AM and we have to be at the airport by at least 5 - 5:30 AM

We would appreciate any info with those who have actually done this in the past.

Thanks

Ken

Ken, you should contact the cruise line to see what time is the earliest you can get a flight.

It is unrealistic for you to be at the airport by 5:30 AM.

Keith

Thanks

Ken

Agree with others that a 7:05 flight is insane. The good news is that getting to the airport from Venice cruise port is fairly easy and quick, but the Venice airport is small and more disorganized than any that I have been in lately. You might be able to make a 10am flight.

The comment about Venice AP being small and so disorganized - so spot on I can't tell you. Last year we arrived at AP 11:30am for a 2pm flight to London on the way back to US. Opened the AP door to absolute pure chaos. Wall to wall people. We stood in line for almost 3 hours, boarded the plane about the time it was scheduled to take off and there were many passengers behind us so we were very late taking off. YET, we landed in London on time which to me indicates it's a known that there's a huge problem with Venice AP and so lots of "time" built into the schedule.

I swore if I ever got back to Venice I'd train out to the nearest large city hoping it had luggage check in, more ticket agents and room to walk around and breathe - with much less stress than the Venice AP presented. Venice = beautiful but the AP was absolutely beyond disastrous. Your situation may be different b/c I've seen some here have no problem but over the years have seen others that had our similar experience. Good luck.

Hi Everyone...thanks for your response. I guess it was wishful :p thinking on our part that we thought we could get it done.

Since changing the flight is not an option for us as we are making a connecting flight

We have heeded your advice and gone to Plan B.....presently we are waiting for approval to Disembark the ship in Koper ( the day before) and will make arrangements to go to Venice during the evening ...once we have completed our excursion in Slovenia to Lake Bled.

The distance is approx. 100 miles and we will go either by Train or Waterbus.....this will allow us to get to the airport in plenty of time to check in.

I am also thinking that the airport won't be too crowded at this time of morning.

Thanks again for everyone's input.

Ken

I sounds as though there would end up costing you money to change the flights but I am really sorry to read that you won't be sailing into Venice because this would be a huge highlight if you haven't done this.

My thoughts on the early flights is that they make the last night absolutely miserable. I had an early flight out of Paris this year and I had to stay in an airport hotel with no ambiance or things to do outside the hotel and tossed and turned in fear I wouldn't wake up in time. I will never do a 7AM flight again.

In your case it sounds like the damage is done but if others are planning their trips- I would spend the couple hundred dollars more per person to do a flight at 11AM or later when departing a cruise.

• 3 weeks later...

Another Star passenger - arriving in Venice Nov.13th for an overnight - disembark on the 14th to fly home.

We booked air with Princess as we couldn't come anywhere close to the price going in to Rome and out of Venice. They have stated since the ship is overnighted in Venice, we can get off the ship at 3:00 am and since we have Princess transfers to the airport, they booked us on a 640am Lufthansa flight to Frankfurt (then on to MCO). They have assured us over and over again that a lot of people will be getting off at 3:00am to make the early morning flights. They did say we had to plan at least 3 hours at the Venice airport to check in and get on the plane - after reading some of the comments, now I understand!

So - is Princess blowing smoke about all this? Not sure what it would cost to change to a later flight because we would also have to change our connections too.

Now I am worried and not sure what to do - any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Cindiedee

Another Star passenger - arriving in Venice Nov.13th for an overnight - disembark on the 14th to fly home.

We booked air with Princess as we couldn't come anywhere close to the price going in to Rome and out of Venice. They have stated since the ship is overnighted in Venice, we can get off the ship at 3:00 am and since we have Princess transfers to the airport, they booked us on a 640am Lufthansa flight to Frankfurt (then on to MCO). They have assured us over and over again that a lot of people will be getting off at 3:00am to make the early morning flights. They did say we had to plan at least 3 hours at the Venice airport to check in and get on the plane - after reading some of the comments, now I understand!

So - is Princess blowing smoke about all this? Not sure what it would cost to change to a later flight because we would also have to change our connections too.

Now I am worried and not sure what to do - any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Cindiedee

There is a difference. Your ship is arriving in Venice the previous day. The original poster is on a ship that is not arriving until 4:00 am on the day of their departure.

I think you'll be safe.

Assuming that the cruise at least arrives on time 4am (most of the time they get in early), and passes customs in the normal time (max 1 hour in my experience of med cruises)

that you have done online check in for your flight

and check with the airline what time baggage check in closes (on average 30-45 mins prior)

and that you are flying out of Marco polo which is about 20 mins by taxi

I think you could do it

But you will be worried throughout the cruise which defeats the purpose, I guess.

Assuming that the cruise at least arrives on time 4am (most of the time they get in early), and passes customs in the normal time (max 1 hour in my experience of med cruises)

that you have done online check in for your flight

and check with the airline what time baggage check in closes (on average 30-45 mins prior)

and that you are flying out of Marco polo which is about 20 mins by taxi

I think you could do it

But you will be worried throughout the cruise which defeats the purpose, I guess.

We recently flew home from Venice. We docked at 7:00. Our flight was 10:15. We took our luggage off ourselves and had a pre-booked taxi waiting. We had lots of time sitting around the airport. The problem for you would be whether immigration officials would board and release the passengers right after the ship's arrival. It is Italy, and I love, it but they do things differently. Princess should be able to tell you what to expect. Holland America was very accomodating with us.

People travelling with us had a 6:45 flight out the next day. They were staying in a hotel the night before they flew home. They took the first (5:00) ATVO bus from Piazzale Roma and got to the airport and flight with no difficulty. So it is doable but not relaxing.

Hope thing work out for you.

See you soon

Archived