stupid luggage question

Soon2Barmn

are there any restrictions on luggage (quanity, size, shape)???

I think it probably has more to do with what airline you're flying with (assuming you are flying) than the ship itself. We got off the CB yesterday and I saw one couple who had four huge suitcases between the two of them, so I'm thinking you can bring as much as you want!

We got off the CB yesterday and I saw one couple who had four huge suitcases between the two of them, so I'm thinking you can bring as much as you want!

(Waving hi to you and Brandon! :D) I think we saw the same people yesterday. I had to make the assumption they were either on a B2B cruise or perhaps did a few day pre- or post-cruise adventure. Because I cannot imagine why two people would need four large suitcases for a seven day cruise. To each his/her own I guess. I prefer to pack lighter and do or have laundry done onboard.

To the OP: To my knowledge, there is not a limit to how much luggage you can bring onboard or a size limit. (That does not mean there isn't a limit though.) When packing for a cruise, only bring half of what you think you need. Just bring some quarters and laundry detergent (or buy onboard) as you can always run a load if needed. If you are flying, I'd be more concerned about your airlines limits and charges.

I moved a large oil painting from Seattle to LA via Royal and Sapphire. Framed and crated, it was 54x78. When I got a few looks, I breezily said "I don't care for the artwork in the staterooms, so I always bring my own!"

Looks like you are close enough to drive... so bring it all!

We cruised in Feb, DH thought I waaaaay overpacked..until I saw the lady with the giant pack of toilet paper. :eek: ... my face obviously showed my shock, because she laughed & said she just could not handle the ship toilet tissue. Me, I'm not that fussy, but I did bring my sm elec fan so that I could sleep better! And 2 cases of DH's fave diet soda!

Enjoy your cruise!

I moved a large oil painting from Seattle to LA via Royal and Sapphire. Framed and crated, it was 54x78. When I got a few looks, I breezily said "I don't care for the artwork in the staterooms, so I always bring my own!"

Ha! That's funny. Thanks for the laugh

I read recently about a couple moving cross-country who boarded a ship (not sure which cruise line) with their worldly goods (no furniture) and disembarked on the other side of the country with their stuff. It was cheaper than a moving van.

No one has yet mentioned your carry-on hand luggage, which must be able to fit through the scanners at the port. They are similar to the airport scanners in size so as long as it fits, you are good to go. If it does not fit, you will be asked to take it back outside and give it to a porter who will then check it for you.

I think it probably has more to do with what airline you're flying with (assuming you are flying) than the ship itself. We got off the CB yesterday and I saw one couple who had four huge suitcases between the two of them, so I'm thinking you can bring as much as you want!

Dive gear, perhaps? We bring three large suitcases for any length warm weather cruise when we fly Southwest. One of them is for wetsuits and dive gear, including BCD and fins. Although they could be squeezed into our two primary bags, I can't quite stomach the thought of that (slightly) stinky stuff packed with my clothes.

Dive gear, perhaps? We bring three large suitcases for any length warm weather cruise when we fly Southwest. One of them is for wetsuits and dive gear, including BCD and fins. Although they could be squeezed into our two primary bags, I can't quite stomach the thought of that (slightly) stinky stuff packed with my clothes.

Hey, if the wet suits are black and white, you could use them for dive gear and on formal night -- not sure about the fins though!

Hey, if the wet suits are black and white, you could use them for dive gear and on formal night -- not sure about the fins though!

:D Good point, but, as my CC name implies, most of my dive gear is bright yellow. It would certainly stand out among all the black clothing on formal nights!

Just a note; while all ports have hand baggage screening, not all of them have "sizers", and many of them will take a full Pullman-sized suitcase with no problem. I guess the rule for carryon could be best described as "If you can carry it, it's on!"

Just a note; while all ports have hand baggage screening, not all of them have "sizers", and many of them will take a full Pullman-sized suitcase with no problem. I guess the rule for carryon could be best described as "If you can carry it, it's on!"

This is true!!

Most ships post a 200 lb per person limit. I can't imagine anyone needing 200 lbs of stuff.

There's only a restriction for carry-on size. You can bring a steamer trunk (checked baggage!!), if you want.

(Waving hi to you and Brandon! :D) I think we saw the same people yesterday. I had to make the assumption they were either on a B2B cruise or perhaps did a few day pre- or post-cruise adventure. Because I cannot imagine why two people would need four large suitcases for a seven day cruise. To each his/her own I guess. I prefer to pack lighter and do or have laundry done onboard.

To the OP: To my knowledge, there is not a limit to how much luggage you can bring onboard or a size limit. (That does not mean there isn't a limit though.) When packing for a cruise, only bring half of what you think you need. Just bring some quarters and laundry detergent (or buy onboard) as you can always run a load if needed. If you are flying, I'd be more concerned about your airlines limits and charges.

Or maybe they got married on the ship. :) I am probably going to need some extra bags and boxes for the wedding! Carry-ons have to fit through the x-ray scanner, so you can bring it if it'll fit through that machine (it's the same as the airport ones).

I read recently about a couple moving cross-country who boarded a ship (not sure which cruise line) with their worldly goods (no furniture) and disembarked on the other side of the country with their stuff. It was cheaper than a moving van.

that is so funny and I am picturing exactly what I am going to do if I decide to move to the right coast.

:D

Archived