New "stateroom direct" service

WindrunnerII

Hi All,

I haven't sailed on HAL in many half-moons :D but am looking at booking a cruise for later this year.

A question for any of you who have sailed recently - how was your experience with the new "stateroom direct" on embark day? Was the stateroom TRULY ready and fully cleaned?

I only ask as I am trying to figure out our plan for embark day. Go to the ship and relax in our stateroom or just stay at our hotel with a late checkout and head over to the ship around 2 or 3?

Can anyone offer up their first hand experinces?

Thanks in advance!

I boarded the Volendam in late February under the new policy.

I arrived at the terminal shortly before it opened for check-in, and was one of the first people in my line. I boarded shortly thereafter, and went directly to my cabin. It was totally ready.

I was able to unpack my carry-ons, then went to lunch. Since people could now go to their cabins, it cut down on the crowds in the Lido. No one hanging around waiting for their cabin to open up! :)

My luggage arrived earlier than it ever had, and I had completely unpacked two large suitcases before lifeboat drill.

I would say the whole process went very well, indeed.

Yes, the stateroom was completely ready when we boarded.

On Westerdam last month we were in the stateroom, luggage delivered and completely unpacked by something like 2:30ish. It was wonderful. I think we even had our things sent out for pressing for the first formal night prior to sailaway.

In March when we boarded the Rotterdam for our 30 day Hawaii French Polynesia cruise the cabins were not ready until after lunch. All state rooms received a letter of apology and free champagne after dinner because of it. As we did not arrive on board until about 1:30 anyway, we were able to head directly to our cabin with no waiting. So we noticed no difference in the policy other than a free drink.

We were I believe, the first passengers to board the Volendam at 1130 am for our cruise, back in September. The room was completely ready for us.

When we returned from lunch in the Main Dining Room, our luggage had been delivered, so were unpacked before the safety drill at 4.15pm.

We were very impressed with this service.

No, there was no extra charge.

I only ask as I am trying to figure out our plan for embark day. Go to the ship and relax in our stateroom or just stay at our hotel with a late checkout and head over to the ship around 2 or 3?

Just hang in the stateroom after boarding? I could never do that! Have to check out the ship. :D

I am unfamiliar with this new service. Does it cost extra, and, therefore, is only available to those who pay for it?

No, there is no added charge ... all staterooms should be ready for occupancy immediately upon embarkation.

Boarded the Eurodam at 11:30 in March. Cabins were not ready until 1pm. It was no big deal. In fact, I wouldn't have even noticed the delay, had I not read about the new stateroom direct program on here.

My wife and I were probably in the first 40-50 people to board the Maasdam in late March. They announced boarding at exactly 11:30 AM and we were able to go directly to our cabin. It was fully cleaned and ready for us.

We boarded the Westerdam on May 1 at about 1:15 and went straight to our cabin. It was made up. We were missing the sink amenities (lotion, shower cap, and bar soap) and our personalized stationery. Also, there was a large puddle of water just outside the door to the verandah. It was impossible to go out or in without stepping in it. All three things were corrected when brought to the attention of our cabin stewards. No big deal. However, it does show that the new "instant" turnaround can result in some things falling through the cracks from time to time.

We were just on the Maasdam. The room was ready when we arrived, our luggage was in the room within 90 minutes of our arrival at the pier, and no, there was no extra charge.

Hello BumberII, we are joining the Maasdam on June 25th. Any thoughts about your room, the cruise, the ports that you enjoyed, didn't enjoy. Please share.

TIA.

Seattle Cruizer

On our only cruise since this started we boarded just before Noon and our cabin was fully ready.

Well, from my first experience with "Stateroom Direct" in March, onboard the Maasdam, the staterooms were NOT ready upon boarding (at 11:20 a.m.)! It was announced at 12:25 p.m. that they were ready! On the day of disembarkation, the staterooms were "partially" cleaned & made up BEFORE people had vacated their staterooms! :mad:

This will be our first HAL cruise. What is "Stateroom Direct" ?? Is this only a "perk" for Mariner's Club members ? Thanks.

HAL initiated a "new" program a few months ago where they are at least attempting to have all cabins ready for occupancy at boarding. It's not a perk for suites or Mariners, it's for the whole ship and all passengers. On the whole it appears they've been fairly successful but, as GeriatricNurse reports, it's not 100%. I guess the downside is that there is more pressure on the staff to get cabins clean as early as possible on disembarkation morning and that means more pressure on disembarking passengers to get up and out. As I mentioned before we didn't have that problem as the Maasdam was not taking on regular passengers at the end of our cruise since she was going to dry dock.

Sounds like it is working well in most cases. To me this is not a big deal. I have always gone to my stateroom and dropped off our carry-on and than gone to eat and explore the ship.

Kirk

Archived