So....Who Will Fess Up?

sail7seas

Are you one who keeps their cabin neat and tidy or one who lets things pile up a bit when in a hotel room or ship's cabin? You okay with having the steward do the 'picking up' when he services your cabin each morning and evening? :)

We're on the neat side. I figure we've paid a lot of money for that cabin and we'd like to enjoy it to the max. Can't really enjoy it if it's a mess..... at least we can't. :D

How about you? Neat and tidy? A little more casual about picking up? How much 'picking up' should a cabin steward reasonably be expected to do?

(A thread on another forum got me to thinking about this.)

A place for everything, and everything in it's place. And the "place" for everything is in a closet, drawer, out of sight---with the exception of a few pieces of paper (like the daily program, and shore ex tickets) which are neatly propped in front of the mirror.

I really hate the new shelves set-up in the bathrooms.

Neat and tidy, that's me.

A place for everything, and everything in it's place. And the "place" for everything is in a closet, drawer, out of sight---with the exception of a few pieces of paper (like the daily program, and shore ex tickets) which are neatly propped in front of the mirror.

I really hate the new shelves set-up in the bathrooms.

Neat and tidy, that's me.

I second RuthC!!!

Joanie

We like things tidy, but we do tend to accumulate papers - menus, meet and greet lists, shore excursion stuff - most goes in a drawer/shelf, but some stays on the desk - in a neat pile, mind you. but it's there.

I don't think the cabin steward should pick up after us - the last thing I want.

But if room service hasn't shown up for our tray, then he's stuck with it :rolleyes:

A neat room looks it so much bigger too :)

I'm with Ruth C on this too although I Keep a well iced ice bucket of beer on the desk at all times just in case. I know this does cause more work for the stewards. As a solo (most of the time) I always tip extra anyway and a little more for the ice too.

For the first few days, I find myself straightening out the bed - blanket and pillows - before I leave the cabin in the morning. By the time I realize I don't have to - the cruise is half-way over!

I must admit that at home I allow clutter to accumulate until I can't stand it any longer (my husband is so patient!). However, when on a cruise I am so neat I'd hardly recognize myself. Perhaps it's because the ship is so beautiful that I just want to keep it that way.

The cabin stewards have so much work to do, I think it would be selfish of me to expect them to have to work around clutter and to pick up after me (or us, if my husband is with me).

We are pretty much tidy where our stuff is concerned. The stuff that belongs to the ship is a different story. We have the collection of paper that is delivered to the cabin piled up on the desk until the last day. But we keep our own laundry bag, and hang nearly all our clothes in the closet. Maybe a shirt hanging up with the bathrobes would be the exception.

We liked the new shelf arrangement. Instead of my shaving kit, I now throw all that stuff in a zip lock bag that fits on the shelf under the sink nicely. And I really like the shampoo and soap dispensers in the shower. There really isn't enough room in the cabin to spread out, so almost everything has to have a place or one would wind up tripping over it.

Neat and tidy here! I also agree that the stewards have enough to do, I will not make extra work for them.

I admit that I have walked past enough cabins where they have been working, and been shocked at the sight! I am sure the occupants feel it is their right, their vacation, but I could never leave a hurricane for my stewards to straighten out!

Guest LoveMyBoxer

Very neat and tidy, I even make the bed and fold the towels! We even give the room staff the day off on a few days of the cruise. They always 'yell" at us that we are on vacation and that it's their job. LOL

Neat and tidy.....I don't think it's the room stewards job to pick up after us...they have enough to do just their normal stuff let alone pick up after slobs. I too have walked past rooms that are disgusting-how can people even leave them like that-I feel for the stewards.

Fun.

What a tidy bunch we are.

I was sure there had to be a few who would admit to being a little 'relaxed' about picking up their cabin while cruising.

I am one of those 'lookies' who glances into cabins when we pass by an open door. Usually the cabins look neat enough but every now and then we see a cabin that looks like a hurricane blew through it. :D

Heck, I am living there for like a month... why would We want to live in a pig pen.? Its a matter of simple personal pride. How could you relax or enjoy the cabin if you had to wait for someone to come do it for you?

Seems a waste .

And yes , we do fold towels, and streighten up the bed......Why not? We do the same in a hotel is we are staying several days.... You know where everythnig is and that is a great stress releiver.... Both my wife and were brought uo that way.

If it needs doing why not do it...We would do it at home, why change? Its no big deal. We see the cabin stewards as a back up if we need extra help not personal servants...."Oh Boy".....

Definitely neat and tidy. The cabin stewards have enough to do. We do use a lot of towels because there doesn't seem to be enough rack space to dry a towel that has been used, but that's about it. I keep one washcloth separate; use it to wipe dry the washbasins after they've been used. The bath looks so much nicer when there isn't water everywhere.

If we're on a back to back we try to get the steward to let the room go on turnaround day. At least we can make the bed, etc. but I think they pretty much do the room anyway.

Definitely neat! The cabins have great storage, so there's no excuse for not finding a home for everything. I would never want the cabin steward to have to pick up after me or my DH (even if I end of picking up after him---my DH, not the cabin steward!):p

Ricki

We try to keep things neat, but one thing that bothers me is in order to get the towels changed they are to be put on the floor. Then if the room does not get made up early we come back to a mess in the bathroom. I can never quite figure out what to do with those towels we want replaced, or are just plain wet after wiping up the water that escaped the shower curtain.

Neat and tidy all the time (we are like that in hotels too!), I too look into other rooms and can't believe how people actually leave their rooms... yikes, hate to have to clean that up everyday.

Once on a cruise with our daughter and son-in-law we popped by their room while enroute to breakfast and couldnt believe the state of their room, clothes everywhere, nothing organized at all, just mayhem... well the mother came out of me and reminded them both to clean up and put away everything away asap !! It worked that time anyways, didnt take a chance going back again, lol

I have to have everything tidied,and put away in drawers and closets.

The only things sitting out are the daily programmes which sit in a neat pile beside the TV.

Also, we always return any cups, glasses, and plates to the Neptune Lounge and place them in the cupboard to go for washing.

Sometimes we have walked past other cabins with doors open while the stewards are working, and are absolutely amazed at the mess some people leave for the stewards to clean.

Archived