For those expecting lower Fall air pricing

FlyerTalker

A blog post by Dan Webb, of Things in the Sky, presents info from Delta's Investor Presentation. Among other items are announcements about large reductions in DL and SkyTeam overseas capacity after Labor Day. Other DL route capacity reductions were also presented.

This capacity reduction may likely mean that pricing will not have as significant a dropoff due to higher load factors over reduced available seats. You can do your own reading of tea leaves from the data presented by DL to both the SEC and investors.

Full blog post can be found HERE. (Link to full SEC filing HERE)

But I need to know when the cheapest airfare is!:D

If I wait until the last minute?;)

I think anything over $1000 for two is price gouging!:confused:

And can I catch a 7:30 flight from FCO, when the ship docks at 6?:rolleyes:

And can I catch a 7:30 flight from FCO, when the ship docks at 6?:rolleyes:

I heard from a friend that works in the office below that RCCL's new loyal program will allow this to all happen!

Right now Delta seems to think that the fare to anywhere in the country should be around $1,000, you need to have a least two stops and it should take around 13 hours to get there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And can I catch a 7:30 flight from FCO, when the ship docks at 6?::rolleyes::

Add to this the question is it ok to take a flight that arrives the day of the cruise at 3:30 PM when your cruise ship is scheduled to depart at 5:00 PM? :p

Keith

Thanks for the post, but forgive me if I take this with a grain of salt. I don't doubt DL is cutting capacity (obviously), but that doesn't mean that they, or other airlines, aren't adding capacity on other routes.

I truly believe there will still be deals to be had --- if only you are flexible on dates and destination. Most cruisers aren't, but for those of us who choose the destination based on the airfare sale, I think it's still safe to say that one will be able to find acceptable airfares for fall travel. Maybe I'll end up in Asia instead of Europe this fall, but for someone who just wants to get away to one of a million destinations, there's a lot of flexibility in waiting for a bargain.

I've missed out on a lot of very reasonably priced flights, or reasonably priced compared to what's available today, due to waiting for them to drop. They have gone no where but up. Ironically, when I ran my search today, there were actually more Delta flights that were not in the searches previously. With that said, I found a good flight on Delta for $1,100 that wasn't listed yesterday, and I'll be biting the bullet tonight.

As many times as I've missed the good prices, it is still tempting to wait considering every article says to purchase flights to europe 6-8 weeks out, and october is supposed to be cheaper, but I can't gamble anymore!

Thanks for the post, but forgive me if I take this with a grain of salt. I don't doubt DL is cutting capacity (obviously), but that doesn't mean that they, or other airlines, aren't adding capacity on other routes.

Did you read slide #5 where they said:

Reducing post-Labor Day capacity 4%, with a focus on markets where revenue has not kept pace with higher fuel costs
Or slide #7 where they said:

Reducing Delta’s Post-Labor Day Capacity by 4%

Targeted reductions where revenue not keeping pace with costs

Domestic (1-3%)

• Reducing Memphis hub departures by 25%

• Right-size domestic network for high

fuel environment, continued progress

on 140 aircraft reduction

Atlantic (10-12%)

• Market cancellations and frequency

reductions, in conjunction with JV

partners

Latin 2-4%

• Thinning of Caribbean markets for off

-season, offset by build-up of Mexico

and profitable deep South America

flying

Pacific (1-3%)

• Frequency reductions and

downgauging of Haneda service

System (4%)

Yes, there will be scheduled increases in the Latin market, but reductions everywhere else resulting in 4% down overall. Plus, the TATL joint-venture market will see a reduction of between 13 and 17% from prior plans to current plans. (Slide #8)

Yes, I know...details, details, details.

I'm not surprised by their announcement which includes Alitalia. We flew Alitalia nonstop roundtrip Chicago to Rome in April. On our flight there, EVERYBODY in coach had 2 or 4 seats to themselves! On the flight home, most people had 2 or 3 seats. (There were sets of 2 seats empty, so the people that sat together chose to.) I never expect that to experience that again, but it was awesome being able to lay down and sleep on a TA flight while in coach!

By the way, the main meal on both ways was the best we've ever had on flights.

Obviously you missed the fact that the entire comment was enclosed in a <sarcasm> </sarcasm> block?

Apparently it wasn't that obvious to me.

Sarcasm doesn't always translate well on a message board.

Some inexperienced folks reading this might actually be looking for those prices.

The line I addressed was followed by the "Confused" symbol.

But, still...thanks for pointing out "the obvious" to me. :)

Checked on flights for DW this coming Aug. Saw non-stop @$1,050. A week later after reading Flyer and Grandam here, I checked and was $1,250. DW booked the next day @ $1,300 and flight is now over $2,000. :eek:

Thanks to the knowledgeable people who post on these boards. :)

They (Cont/United) have already cut her short leg home, but we have alternative airports which they have not cut so she will fly back to one.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name=Kelmn07;29174197

As many times as I've missed the good prices' date=' it is still tempting to wait considering every article says to purchase flights to europe 6-8 weeks out, and october is supposed to be cheaper, but I can't gamble anymore![/quote]

I am now checking flights for late september on a daily/hourly basis..it's my new part time job, but I am NOT a gambler...going from NY to Barcelona, they are running at $830 pp....I think I, too will just bite the bullet and book now! :eek:

Archived