French Coffee Press for better coffee in cabin?

I have read several posts about the bad coffee on the Mariner and other RCI ships. I am thinking of bringing my own coffee and a Frendh coffee press then ordering hot water from room service to make in-room coffee. Has anyone tried this? No electricity needed. Much better than instant.

What a mess of coffee grounds to dispose of in the plumbing which doesnt take much to stop up.

I think using a pot that uses a pod that can be disposed of or the little starbucks instant coffee would be a lot more considerate.

What a mess of coffee grounds to dispose of in the plumbing which doesnt take much to stop up.

I think using a pot that uses a pod that can be disposed of or the little starbucks instant coffee would be a lot more considerate.

I wouldn't flush the grounds, I'd put them in the trash. Not messy at all. :o

I wouldn't put grounds in the plumbing, they go in the trash. I don't want to carry an electrical appliance on the cruise. The French press really isn't messy. :o

I have a travel mugFrench press that I got from Starbucks. It does work well. I just pack it with some small pkgs of coffee you can get in the grocery store. I have taken it a few times (did not put grounds in the sink)

I doubt the water will be hot enough to make a decent pot of coffee after its journey from the kitchen to your room.

I don't know what kind of french press you're all using, but I have to scrape the grounds out of mine with a spatula, into the trash, and a fair amount still goes down the sink.

I love coffee, but I'd just suck it up and deal with "bad" coffee for a week or two vs. the hassle of ordering water that may be too cool to properly brew, then having to clean up grounds in a tiny bathroom.

I doubt the water will be hot enough to make a decent pot of coffee after its journey from the kitchen to your room.

I don't know what kind of french press you're all using, but I have to scrape the grounds out of mine with a spatula, into the trash, and a fair amount still goes down the sink.

I love coffee, but I'd just suck it up and deal with "bad" coffee for a week or two vs. the hassle of ordering water that may be too cool to properly brew, then having to clean up grounds in a tiny bathroom.

I agree, I've been using a french press for about 10 years. Without rinsing it in the sink there are tons of grounds that stick to the bottom. It would not be easy or polite to dispose of the grounds in your room. I had this same thought about tea leaf infusing as well when on my last cruise and decided that I needed to keep my tea in bags for the trip.

I also agree that the water will not be hot enough to properly infuse the coffee beans and won't get the same effect as you would at home. Most hot teas infuse at lower water temps (a lot of varieties will actually turn bitter if done at boiling) so you wouldn't notice the problem with the water temp when getting tea.

We travelled a couple of years ago with our family in an adjoinging cabin, we brought 2 FP's with us. The first morning we were on board we ordered tea from room service for each cabin, we used the boiling water to make coffee with our FP, we kept the 2 thermos' for the week and each morning 1 of us would go to the cafe promenade and fill them with more boiling water so we could make coffee, it took all of 5 minutes, no big deal at all and was well worth the effort. In our opinion, Seattle's Best, is gawdaful swill. Last year on the Serenade we were in a balcony cabin, just my DH and I, we asked our room steward if there was any way that we could get some sort of coffee maker, within a couple of hours we had a brand new, still in the box, Mr Coffee machine, it only makes 1 cup at a time but we had brought our own coffee with us and filters, so we were all set. Every day we stopped by the WJ and picked up creamers, milk etc & kept them in the fridge in the room.

Bon voyage.

I've tried this twice and it doesn't work very well, as Walton said the water has to be off the boil for the right flavor and I could never get it hot enough. I even have a stinger (the little coil you plug in that heats up beverages) but it wouldn't get hot enough and the room service was only luke warm by the time it got there. I finally gave up and now we just go down to Promenade cafe. Their coffee is pretty darn good (for some reason better than WJ). Next cruise we have a grand suite though with the kettle. So maybe I'll try again.

If you're willing to spend a few bucks a day on your coffee, I think this is a moot point. Sure, the Windjammer coffee tastes like burnt sticks. But if you go to Cafe Promenade and "order" a coffee, you'll get a nice espresso roast coffee for $2 or so.

The free coffee that is readily available in Cafe Promenade is quite good as well.

Sorry to disagree with some of the posters but tea water needs to be boiling hot and coffee water slightly cooler.

This is not correct. If you are a tea drinker and buy loose leaf blends you'll learn that they do all require different temperatures for best taste.

Water Temperature & Time

White tea 7 – 10 min at 200 F

Green tea 3 – 4 min at 160 - 180 F

Oolong tea 4 – 5 min at 190 F

Black tea 5 min at 212 F

Herbal tea 5 min at 212 F

Thanks for the feedback. I'll look into the Starbucks unbreakable press but I'll be happy if room service coffee is good. I've read to the contrary. I hadn't heard about the better coffee in Promenade cafe so that is encouraging,

I've never liked the WJ coffee....really, really strong and bitter, but the coffee from room service and in the dining room was fine! Don't know why there's such a difference!

Probably because it's fresher. Not sure what method the ships use for making their coffee... but if it sits too long with grinds, boils down or just gets old it gets bitter.

Archived