Steel cut Oats : Crazy Question:)

Eventide331

Thank you for your quick response. Doctor recommended new way of enjoying oatmeal and I had hoped I wouid be able to have it when on our cruise in August. It sure will pale in comparision to all the other yummy offerings but you gotta do what you gotta do:)

I've never seen steel cut oats onboard. The oatmeal is definitely the regular kind, thoroughly cooked and very, very soft; neither the look nor texture of steel cut at all.

I haven't gotten any muesli in a long time, so I can't tell you for sure about the oats in that; but IIRC those were regular oats, too.

I've never seen steel cut oats onboard. The oatmeal is definitely the regular kind, thoroughly cooked and very, very soft; neither the look nor texture of steel cut at all.

I haven't gotten any muesli in a long time, so I can't tell you for sure about the oats in that; but IIRC those were regular oats, too.

That was my experience too Jim. In fact IME the oatmeal had the texture of Cream of Wheat. :(

I'd prefer the steel cut if I could find it.

On the Maasdam last winter, and on the Ryndam that fall ... the breakfast menu offered "Oatmeal" and "Steel Cut Oatmeal" as separate items. I've never tried Steel Cut, so didn't order it - but it was definitely there.

Steel cut Irish oatmeal was available on the Eurodam, the Amsterdam and the Zuiderdam within the past year. As my mom prefers it, we wrote it in on our room service order virtually every day while aboard the Eurodam.

In my view, the oatmeal that is served on HAL is too "thin" & "watery"! :( It should be thick enough that a spoon being placed into a bowl of oatmeal will not move! :)

So it looks to me that you can get it from Room Service and from the Dining Room. I bet, just like ordering from the Dinner Menu, you must order when the Dining Room is open and not early hours like the Lido.

I guess you can check with room service ahead of time.

Steel cut oatmeal is on the new expanded menu that came in last year. It seems to be made with water, with no sugar. I make mine with half milk and a little brown sugar, finding that tastier.

I'm happy they don't add sugar. I'm not diabetic but eat very little sugar. That's something that is easily added individually when you are served.

If any of you are wondering why the bother, steel cuts oatmeals are less processed, and therefore healthier, than other forms.

Also for those of us who are trying to eat gluten-free, though oatmeal doesn't have gluten, only steel-cut oatmeal is free of wheat contamination (because the other oatmeals are processed in the same machinery as wheat products).

My understanding is that you have to go to the dining room for it (I agree that the stuff in the Lido is disgustingly watery). I am excited that we may be able to get it via room service.

This Girl Raised In the South had to check out this thread. Being a true GRITS, I don't "do" oatmeal and wondered if this was a brand name or what!

LOL :)

And HAL does have grits, although I understand that true grits is a very controversial topic and HAL may not be up to your standards! Too bad you don't do oatmeal: it is pretty good for you and if you make it right, pretty good tasting, too!

Something southern folks eat to accompany healthy breakfasts of bacon, biscuits, and gravy.

From "Google" I learn that grits are made from coarsely ground corn, and cooked to a porridge like consistency.

The breakfast biscuit is similiar to what we call a scone.

The term biscuit to us, is what you would call a cookie.

For instance, I would bake a chocolate chip biscuit, you would bake a chocolate chip cookie.

Archived