Air through Airline or Cruiseline

PrincessE

Debating whether to book our airfare through Princess EZ Air or directly through the airline - probably DL.

Princess is about $35 higher than DL. Not a big deal. Do any of you see any benefits of booking with the cruiseline vs. directly with airline?

Thanks.

Have you read the sticky at the top of the forum?

In general, there is little reason to buy from the cruiseline rather than from the airline directly. You get regular tickets from the airline, and usually consolidator tickets from the cruiseline.

If you still have questions after reading the sticky, let us know.

Debating whether to book our airfare through Princess EZ Air or directly through the airline - probably DL.

Princess is about $35 higher than DL. Not a big deal. Do any of you see any benefits of booking with the cruiseline vs. directly with airline?

Thanks.

I alway think it's good to get all of the facts which you have started to do before one rules in or rules out using cruise air.

The majority of cruises we take we make our own air arrangements rather than use Cruise Air but from time to time we do use cruise air.

As Flyer Talker suggested read the sticky thread that is on this board.

When we do use Cruise Air we pay the additional fee to request specific flights because I do not like to leave that up to anyone.

Often the cruise air does include the transfer between airport and ship and ship to airport. In some areas this doesn't amount to a lot of cost such as getting from Miami to the Port of Miami but in other areas of the world it does.

Again, collect all of the facts to make the decision that works best for your specific trip.

I know this wasn't one of the questions you ask but often I see people asking about this but only after they've made their air arrangements and there is a cost to change them. Consider flying in a day before the cruise even if it is a cruise leaving out of the USA. There are many factors that can significantly delay a flight departure or even result in its cancellation which can cause you to miss the ship.

Keith

I alway think it's good to get all of the facts which you have started to do before one rules in or rules out using cruise air.

The majority of cruises we take we make our own air arrangements rather than use Cruise Air but from time to time we do use cruise air.

As Flyer Talker suggested read the sticky thread that is on this board.

When we do use Cruise Air we pay the additional fee to request specific flights because I do not like to leave that up to anyone.

Often the cruise air does include the transfer between airport and ship and ship to airport. In some areas this doesn't amount to a lot of cost such as getting from Miami to the Port of Miami but in other areas of the world it does.

Again, collect all of the facts to make the decision that works best for your specific trip.

I know this wasn't one of the questions you ask but often I see people asking about this but only after they've made their air arrangements and there is a cost to change them. Consider flying in a day before the cruise even if it is a cruise leaving out of the USA. There are many factors that can significantly delay a flight departure or even result in its cancellation which can cause you to miss the ship.

Keith

Thanks for the tip. I checked the sticky out - lots of information there and I guess I found what I was looking for. And we are flying in two days pre-cruise and staying one day post. I'm way too A/R to fly in day of sailing! LOL

When comparing prices make sure you also inlcude the price for insurance for your flight in that... since the cruise air gaurantees you'll make it to your ship. After I priced out flights plus insurance it was the same cost as using choice air for RCI, so I went with the company that specializes in scheduling and insuring flights to get you to your ship on time.

When comparing prices make sure you also inlcude the price for insurance for your flight in that... since the cruise air gaurantees you'll make it to your ship. After I priced out flights plus insurance it was the same cost as using choice air for RCI, so I went with the company that specializes in scheduling and insuring flights to get you to your ship on time.

Please don't fool yourself into believing something that is not true.There is NO GUARANTEE. The EXACT wording on the Choice Air website: 'Celebrity will work with the airlines to get you to your port'. WORK WITH are legal "weasel" words. They will TRY. NO GUARANTEE.

On top of that, both RC and X state SPECIFICALLY in their cruise contract that the cruise line is NOT responsible for ANYTHING provided by a third party vendor/independent contractor. Again, NO GUARANTEE. Read paragraph 5

http://media.celebritycruises.com/celebrity/content/en_US/pdf/cruise_ticket_contract/Celebrity_04_23_08.pdf

In addition to all of the above, your tickets purchased on Choice Air have a 95% chance of being consolidator class tickets with all the restrictions-non endorsable, non reroutable and bottom of the barrel for rebooking. This is even stated on the Celebrity Choice Air site: "Airline tickets we issue are highly restrictive and you may find that your ticket cannot be exchanged, reissued or revalidated for another carrier or routing."

You are NOT buying the same published fare tickets you would get direct from the airline or many third party travel agencies (Travelocity, Expedia, Orbitz, etc. etc). Just because it is the same airline, same flight number, same seats does NOT mean it is the same ticket.

Again, NO GUARANTEES. The non reroutable feature was pointed out in this thread. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1398770&highlight=missed+cruise+phl

BECAUSE of the non reroutable and bottom of the barrel tickets the lady purchased from the cruise line, she entirely missed her cruise. COULD NOT be rerouted through another city ONLY because of the type of tickets she had purchased.

NO GUARANTEES with Choice Air/Princess EZ Air or most any other cruise line booked air.

Why in the world would you think cruise air will guarantee you'll make it to your ship? The cruise line has no influence over weather, crew time-outs or mechanical delays. What company "specializes in scheduling and insuring flights"?

sherilyn70- About a month ago when the US was plagued with very bad weather, a number of cruisers had disrupted flights. Do a search....their cruiseline-arranged flights did *not* get them to the ship, and in most cases the cruiseline did little or nothing to help. A particularly memorable one- the flight was diverted to Omaha, and they found out the hard way they were at the bottom of the list for getting accommodated by the airline.

There is a saying the devil is in the details. It applies here. Know all of the facts about your situation before you book your air. I have found there have been times where using the cruise air made lots of sense. Other times it didn't. And some of this actually varies by cruise line. So, knowing the experiences that others went through in terms of what the cruise line did or didn't do is important as well. That's not a guarantee it will work that way for you but it is just one of many factors to consider. In the end, read the the sticky as there is much to learn there, and read the fine print whether it is the insurance or anything else.

Keith

since the cruise air gaurantees you'll make it to your ship. After I priced out flights plus insurance it was the same cost as using choice air for RCI, so I went with the company that specializes in scheduling and insuring flights to get you to your ship on time.

Really? Which cruiseline? Please show us that Guarantee.

There is a saying the devil is in the details. It applies here. Know all of the facts about your situation before you book your air. I have found there have been times where using the cruise air made lots of sense.

Keith

It made sense to us when Azamara/Choice Air was offering $1,000.00 per person off of our cruise fare for booking the air through Choice Air (the rate was the same).

Another was to meet a ship in the Galapagos (Baltra airport was closed for repairs), and another charter with Abercrombie & Kent to meet a ship for Antarctica and included all transfers and extra touring for the same price we would have paid for a chartered flight.

Buying cruise air does NOT guarantee you'll make it to the ship. In fact, in may actually make it harder to make the ship, if there's a flight disruption, than if you bought regular tickets through the airline.

Please don't fool yourself into believing something that is not true.There is NO GUARANTEE. The EXACT wording on the Choice Air website: 'Celebrity will work with the airlines to get you to your port'. WORK WITH are legal "weasel" words. They will TRY. NO GUARANTEE.

On top of that, both RC and X state SPECIFICALLY in their cruise contract that the cruise line is NOT responsible for ANYTHING provided by a third party vendor/independent contractor. Again, NO GUARANTEE. Read paragraph 5

http://media.celebritycruises.com/celebrity/content/en_US/pdf/cruise_ticket_contract/Celebrity_04_23_08.pdf

In addition to all of the above, your tickets purchased on Choice Air have a 95% chance of being consolidator class tickets with all the restrictions-non endorsable, non reroutable and bottom of the barrel for rebooking. This is even stated on the Celebrity Choice Air site: "Airline tickets we issue are highly restrictive and you may find that your ticket cannot be exchanged, reissued or revalidated for another carrier or routing."

You are NOT buying the same published fare tickets you would get direct from the airline or many third party travel agencies (Travelocity, Expedia, Orbitz, etc. etc). Just because it is the same airline, same flight number, same seats does NOT mean it is the same ticket.

Again, NO GUARANTEES. The non reroutable feature was pointed out in this thread. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1398770&highlight=missed+cruise+phl

BECAUSE of the non reroutable and bottom of the barrel tickets the lady purchased from the cruise line, she entirely missed her cruise. COULD NOT be rerouted through another city ONLY because of the type of tickets she had purchased.

NO GUARANTEES with Choice Air/Princess EZ Air or most any other cruise line booked air.

So far... from what I'm reading, the person that wrote that didn't follow the correct procedure with Choice Air. If you are delayed you do not contact the airline, you contact them. Second, they did not have a passport from what I can tell, which means they could not be diverted to a non US Port. Why did they ask the airline for assistance instead of contacting Choice Air?

As for being bottom of the barrel, I seriously doubt that is true considering that I paid the exact same price for the flights I picked out as was showing on Delta's website. I was given a booking number and I was able to already assign my seats and have options to do the normal upgrades on my tickets if I desire. You have the choice of buying flights upfront as non refundable or as fully refundable under their normal flight rules (which is what I did). I didn't even consider the "pay at the time of your cruise" ones.

Note in this very statement... they are the liason. That means you call them and let them do the rerouting and fixing. Not that you try and do it yourself with the airlin.

What protection is provided when I purchase a ChoiceAir ticket?

When ChoiceAir guests encounter flight disruptions, Royal Caribbean,Celebrity Cruises and Azamara Club Cruises will work with our airline partners to re-route them to the original port or next available port of call at no additional cost to the guest. We proactively monitor flights and contact guests ahead of time when possible. We act as a liaison between the ship and the guest, so that our Guest Relations team onboard is also aware of the guests' status. When required and feasible we will also provide hotel accomodations for up to 2 nights, and ground transportation. We also provide re-booking when there is a delayed/re-routed ship for return flights. Our support services are available 24x7.

Sherilyn....please, go ahead and buy with the cruiseline. Who cares what the actual rules are behind a ticket....the price was the same, so the tickets must be the same. And when push comes to shove, what really matters...the advertising blurbs or the actual contract? Of course, it's that easy to read, feel-good stuff - not the proverbial fine print.

Not.

When the proverbial stuff hits the proverbial fan, do you really think that the gate agent for XYZ airlines will care what the cruiseline promotional blurb says? Nope - they will look at the fare rules for the ticket you purchased. Not what the price was, but what the actual RULES for the ticket are (and if you don't realize, there are quite detailed RULES on every airline ticket). And just because the price is the same doesn't mean the underlying ticket is the same. With the same rules and restrictions. They can be quite different.

Could the person in the other thread have done better with some preparation and planning? Sure. Doesn't change the fact that they still had consolidator tickets and were at the bottom of the barrel. Because it still comes down to the ticket rules.

OTOH, if, after reading all that's been posted, you still think that a cruise line will be, to use your words "...the company that specializes in scheduling and insuring flights to get you to your ship on time", I can only hope that nothing goes awry for you.

So far... from what I'm reading, the person that wrote that didn't follow the correct procedure with Choice Air. If you are delayed you do not contact the airline, you contact them. Second, they did not have a passport from what I can tell, which means they could not be diverted to a non US Port. Why did they ask the airline for assistance instead of contacting Choice Air?

As for being bottom of the barrel, I seriously doubt that is true considering that I paid the exact same price for the flights I picked out as was showing on Delta's website. I was given a booking number and I was able to already assign my seats and have options to do the normal upgrades on my tickets if I desire. You have the choice of buying flights upfront as non refundable or as fully refundable under their normal flight rules (which is what I did). I didn't even consider the "pay at the time of your cruise" ones.

Note in this very statement... they are the liason. That means you call them and let them do the rerouting and fixing. Not that you try and do it yourself with the airlin.

I give up. You don't understand and obviously have no desire to comprehend the difference between a PUBLISHED fare ticket (what you buy from the airline or primary travel agencies) and a CONSOLIDATOR ticket you get from the cruise line. There is a LARGE difference even IF you paid the same price, have the same flights, same seats, etc. etc. It is all in the ENTIRE FARE RULES and those you cannot even access with Choice Air.

500+ people missed their Princess cruise with Princess air tickets. Most purchased them because they were "cheaper" or the "cheapest". It was a VERY expensive lesson to learn as quite a few didn't even have insurance. Why did they miss their cruise??? Because of the highly restricted nature of the tickets most cruise lines issue. NON ENDORSABLE (no good on another airline), NON REROUTABLE (can't go to another port to start the trip) and those that had Princess insurance had to file a claim with their insurance AND turn in their unused air tickets before the cruise line would do ANYTHING for them. Long, long thread from May 2010 on the Princess forum.

I sincerely hope no glitches happen with your Choice Air tickets. Do you REALLY believe there is someone in the air/sea dept that is more than a phone answerer after 5PM? Are you REALLY expecting help of a substantive nature???

PS-the liaison is between the SHIP and the GUEST. NOTHING to do with the airlines.

So far... from what I'm reading, the person that wrote that didn't follow the correct procedure with Choice Air. If you are delayed you do not contact the airline, you contact them. Why did they ask the airline for assistance instead of contacting Choice Air?

What do you think happens when you call the phone number for Choice Air? If you are lucky, you get someone who may understand what they are doing. They don't sit there with a pile of unused tickets they can issue to you. They are going to have to call the airline. Meanwhile, if you are working with the airline directly, you are going to be helped first.

As for being bottom of the barrel, I seriously doubt that is true considering that I paid the exact same price for the flights I picked out as was showing on Delta's website.

I know nothing about your tickets, but can tell you that just because you paid the same price as other flights you find on the airline's webpage, does not mean these tickets have the same rules. And, if they are the same price, was there some reason you just didn't purchase directly with the airline in the first place?

Again, what do you think is happening to any available seats while you are making your call to Choice Air, assuming you are going to reach someone who can actually help you? Then waiting for them to contact the airline? The airline is busy assigning available seats to passengers who qualify for them. You are now behind everyone else in line.

I don't care where you purchase your tickets, and I am aware many people who book cruise air do just fine. But other posters come to this board for accurate information, and to keep posting that with Cruise Air, you are totally protected, and someone will take care of you and get you to the ship if there are any problems, is just not correct.

So I am curious about the Choice air weasel words, i.e. flight disruptions in the quote from the website.

I am guessing that Choice Air covers items that the aircarrier is actually on the hook for such as mechanical problems. If the air carrier would normally pick up rerouting expenses then Choice Air "facilitates" it, but if the air carrier doesn't I wonder if Choice Air does anything?? I'm thinking about weather or strikes??? is there anyway to really know about Choice Air?

is there anyway to really know about Choice Air?
As greatam posted in post #6, read the contract. That's the ultimate answer and the governing agreement between the passenger and the cruiseline. The relevant paragraph is:

5. SHORE EXCURSIONS, TOURS, FACILITIES OR OTHER TRANSPORTATION:

All arrangements made for or by Passenger for transportation (other than on the Vessel or on any Transport owned or operated by RCT in connection with a RCT Land Tour) before, during or after the Cruise or CruiseTour of any kind whatsoever, as well as air arrangements, shore excursions, tours, hotels, restaurants, attractions and other similar activities or services, including all related conveyances, products or facilities, are made solely for Passenger’s convenience and are at Passenger’s risk. The providers, owners and operators of such services, conveyances, products and facilities are independent contractors and are not acting as agents or representatives of Carrier. Even though Carrier may collect a fee for, or otherwise profit from, making such arrangements and offers for sale shore excursions, tours, hotels, restaurants, attractions, elements of the RCT Land Tour packages that are provided by independent contractors and other similar activities or services taking place off the Vessel for a profit, it does not undertake to supervise or control such independent contractors or their employees, nor maintain their conveyances or facilities, and makes no representation, whether express or implied, regarding their suitability or safety. In no event shall Carrier be liable for any loss, delay, disappointment, damage, injury, death or other harm whatsoever to Passenger which occurs on or off the Vessel or the Transport as a result of any acts, omissions or negligence of any independent contractors.

Yes, I know...it's the fine print. It's ALWAYS the fine print in the end that matters. Just ask any contracts attorney. ;)

I give up. You don't understand and obviously have no desire to comprehend the difference between a PUBLISHED fare ticket (what you buy from the airline or primary travel agencies) and a CONSOLIDATOR ticket you get from the cruise line. There is a LARGE difference even IF you paid the same price, have the same flights, same seats, etc. etc. It is all in the ENTIRE FARE RULES and those you cannot even access with Choice Air.

I'm really not sure what you think I can't access from my reservation with Choice Air. I have all of the information right in front of me, printed off from Delta about my tickets, including the booking number, Cabin & Class and fee structures. As I mentioned previously, I already picked out my seats and I've also given them my travel document information. Choice Air refers me to Delta's website for information on these things. The Fare rules are the same and I have seen them.

But you don't want to understand that because it goes against everything you believe it is.

I'm seeing a lot of reference to RCI's contract instead of Choice Airs here and not understanding why. They are two different contracts/policies and have different rules from each other. Your travel insurance with RCI does not cover your Choice Air or vice versa.

So I am curious about the Choice air weasel words, i.e. flight disruptions in the quote from the website.

I am guessing that Choice Air covers items that the aircarrier is actually on the hook for such as mechanical problems. If the air carrier would normally pick up rerouting expenses then Choice Air "facilitates" it, but if the air carrier doesn't I wonder if Choice Air does anything?? I'm thinking about weather or strikes??? is there anyway to really know about Choice Air?

Don't guess, and don't assume. Consolidator tickets are not like regular tickets. Just because the air carrier would "normally" pick up rerouting expenses, it doesn't mean that will happen for your consolidator tickets. As Greatam has said, most consolidator tickets (including those purchased via Choice Air) are non-endorsable and non-rerouteable. You're probably stuck waiting until the next flight, flying the same exact route, that has available seats. But since any available seats will likely be filled first by pax from your original flight who bought "normal" tickets, and thus have the privilege of being re-booked before you, you'll probably miss your cruise. :eek:

So far... from what I'm reading, the person that wrote that didn't follow the correct procedure with Choice Air. If you are delayed you do not contact the airline, you contact them....Note in this very statement... they are the liason. That means you call them and let them do the rerouting and fixing. Not that you try and do it yourself with the airline.
Ummm....here is the wording from the Choice Air Terms and conditions:

*Terms and Conditions:**

Guest Requirements & Limitations:**When an air travel issue is encountered, the guests must first request flight re-accommodation through the originally booked airline representative at the airport. Guest(s) must accept any airline offered flight re-accommodations that provide timely arrival at the original embarkation port or next port of call. Guest(s) must contact the ChoiceAir Support Desk to advise us of any alternate flights, so the ship may be advised and any other required services as may be facilitated. In the event that the originally booked airline is unable re-accommodate the guest(s), they should then contact the ChoiceAir Support Desk to review alternative flight arrangements. All Guest(s) must have the appropriate travel documents including but not limited to passports and visas in order to travel. All costs and expenses relevant to obtaining any required travel documentation shall be entirely the guests' responsibility.

From http://www.cruisingpower.com/choiceair/protected/aboutChoiceAir.do#Assured

Ummm....here is the wording from the Choice Air Terms and conditions:

From http://www.cruisingpower.com/choiceair/protected/aboutChoiceAir.do#Assured

Yes, and then note that if they can't offer you anything right away you call them. Waiting 3+ hours is not right away. Once they said they didn't know I would have been on the phone with them.

In the event that the originally booked airline is unable re-accommodate the guest(s), they should then contact the ChoiceAir Support Desk to review alternative flight arrangements.

No one is so blind as those who will not see...:o

All you good folks who are trying to explain, I suggest you give up.

LOL.... When you are right, you are right;)

But I know other inexperienced flyers will read this and think, yea my cruise line will take care of my flights I paid them for if anything goes wrong.... And thus, the circle continues...:rolleyes:

Yes, and then note that if they can't offer you anything right away you call them. Waiting 3+ hours is not right away. Once they said they didn't know I would have been on the phone with them.

Pray tell, where is the wording "right away" or anything closely resembling that wording? The EXACT wording is: "In the event that the originally booked airline is unable re-accommodate the guest(s), they should then contact the ChoiceAir Support Desk to review alternative flight arrangements."

In the case you are referring to, the airline WAS able to re-accommodate. But AGAIN, due to the FARE CLASS of the tickets that poor lady held, she had to WAIT until those with higher fare classes and RULES that allowed rerouting/changing to another airline were accommodated.

Again, bottom of the barrel tickets, end of the line for re-accommodation. SOME of the passengers on the flight that made the emergency landing in Omaha were put on different airlines (there is a specific reference on Flyertalk to someone being placed on a Delta flight). The lady and her family DID NOT have that option ONLY due to the FARE CLASS and FARE RULES of the cruise line issued tickets.

Archived