Air through Airline or Cruiseline

PrincessE

Yes, but while that is unfortunate it is not covered in either the cruise or the airfares contract. Plain and simple. I haven't seen anything that is written to make me think they would cover your situation. I read everything before I agreed to it both with RCI and with Choice Air. Neither party ever once implied they would cover a missed flight due to not being there on time.

I certainly don't understand your argument but this entire discussion started BECAUSE YOU posted these words: "with the company that specializes in scheduling and insuring flights to get you to your ship on time"

Oh, so totally false. There are at least 4 attorneys posting in this thread explaining that what you are reading on the Choice Air website is "well written lawyer speak made to sound like they guarantee they will help you but really means the exact opposite." Obviously, you just don't want to believe it.

If I had just booked straight with Delta I would have even less chance. With Delta I'm just one person that never does business with them often and they could care less about me. With another company like Choice Air I have a little more ground as they bring a lot of business their way (regardless of it being cheap I don't think they'd want to lose that). They are more likely to work with Choice Air than they are me, the individual.

Has absolutely NOTHING to do with being one person or a corporation. It has to do with the FARE RULES. And as Kenish, 6rugrats, Flyertalker and myself have posted, it is not JUST the U. It is all the numbers and letters AFTER U that determine how much help you get, whether your ticket can be rerouted, whether your ticket can be used on another airline and your priority for getting your problem fixed.

So far I have yet to actually see a horror story from someone that actually followed the correct process to resolve their issue... for an issue that is actually covered/guaranteed.

The lady and her party who landed in Omaha due to the emergency FOLLOWED the correct process. She dealt with the airline FIRST. She also called Choice Air later BUT they told her to deal with the airline. With or without a passport, IF she could have been rerouted or placed on another airline, there was a very good chance she could have made the cruise. Others on the same flight got to Florida only a couple hours after they were originally scheduled to land. She ABSOLUTELY POSITIVELY HAD to fly through PHL on US Air per the RULES of her ticket. Limited flights out of Omaha to PHL on US. She had to wait for the next flight that was going to PHL. Waiting for a flight going through PHL was for the most part what made her miss the cruise.

I hope you get it. Due to the RULES of this poor lady's ticket, she was STUCK. They were Choice Air tickets.

I don't know about RC's Choice Air, but when I took the Princess TA course on eZAir, I was advised that you can indeed buy either restricted tickets or flexible/refundable tickets, so they are not all consolidator if you don't choose restricted fares. I am guessing the "Princess 500" that everyone is talking about had purchased the restricted tickets.

That being said, I don't pay for airline tickets at all so I have no desire to use cruise-line air plans, but I wanted to point out that you can avoid consolidator tickets through cruise air if you are willing to pay extra for it.

"willing to pay extra for it" That is the key. The majority of people on this forum are always looking for the cheapest so paying extra for non consolidator tickets is not even in the thought process.

And if I am not mistaken, the Princess non restricted tickets are not paid for until final payment and the price is whatever the traffic will bear at that point in time (60-90 days pre cruise).

With Choice Air, you cannot see the ENTIRE fare rules so really have no idea what you are buying. Could you get non consolidator tickets? Certainly, just like you could with old style cruise air. The chance is not high, particularly with the cheapest tickets. But how would you know???

There are many outlets for consolidator tickets-cruise lines, tour companies, and 'bucket shops'. Bucket shops are travel agencies-often online-that specialize in selling low cost tickets(often international flights) which often turn out to be consolidator tickets.

My guess is that 95 percent of the people travelling on consolidator tickets will be just fine. Weather is perfect, connections are fine, maybe a direct flight from one large city to another. And my guess is about 90 percent of the people who have those consolidator tickets do not even realize it. They may suspect it on occasion because some airlines will not pre assign seats or if they do may not do so until 24 hours prior to flight time. In our case we found out when we asked for a better routing-two stops instead of four stops-and we were refused. We had the facts of life pertaining to our ticket class explained to us by a very knowledgeable airline gate agent.

It's the 5 percent or so of consolidator ticket holders who really find out about it when things go amiss-bad weather, natural disasters, missed connections etc. And even then, when they have major snafu's some of those people do not realize that their ticket status actually caused them to be delayed more than they should have been. Does anyone really think that the cruise lines will tell a cruise air passenger....sorry, we sold you a bargain basement ticket (often at or about the same price as an airline purchased ticket) that does not allow you to change your stops or use the ticket on another airline???? Highly doubtful...they will come up with a lot of other fatuous wording some of which could be described as hiding facts, stretching the truth, remaining silent on other routings that could cause the cruise line additional expense, or plain ignorance on the part of the CSR.

Cruise lines do not make guarantees. After all, it is 'their' contract. Does anyone really think that they would have a contract that is not to their business advantage??? If you are not sure, look up the word 'try' and the word 'guarantee' in the dictionary. They have very different meanings.

So if you are happy with a consolidator ticket, fine. I hope that you are never in a position where you find out the differences through personal experience. The people selling consolidator tickets often do so because they can get higher profit margins on the ticket. This is no doubt why the cruise lines sell them. When we fly from our snowy home in wintertime for a cruise in Puerto Rico the very last thing that we want is a consolidator ticket. We did this last December during the snow storms. If we had been flying on consolidator tickets we would have been stuck in Dulles for an extra 24 or 48 hours instead of jumping on a plane going west (on our way home) within 2 hours of being told that we were re-scheduled 24 hours later to our next destination. We got the last 2 seats on that plane-the last one to leave and it was to a alternate routing city (and got home the same day, albeit a little late). This would not have happened had we been travelling on consolidator tickets.

With Choice Air, you cannot see the ENTIRE fare rules so really have no idea what you are buying. Could you get non consolidator tickets? Certainly, just like you could with old style cruise air. The chance is not high, particularly with the cheapest tickets. But how would you know???

But, I believe you have the entire fare rules once you book and the airline sends you a confirmation. I know this because more than anyone on this board, I can do an even comparison. I have two tickets on the same flight and one was booked direct through SWISS and the other through CHOICE AIR (I did this for a $1,000.00 credit - basically the international flight which was originally to Dubai and return from Athens only cost me $250.00 (we were flying in 3 days early). The original flight was more restrictive on the return. I haven't taken the time yet to compare the new flights, BUT I do have all the fare class info as both confirmations came directly from SWISS.

Perhaps when I find the time I will post them so someone on this boad can tell me what I have.

But, I believe you have the entire fare rules once you book and the airline sends you a confirmation.
I have yet to come across an airline that either shows or sends you the entire fare rules. It always requires digging, and there are some tickets I buy (eg domestic AU fares) for which I can find no public source (even a paid one) for fare rules.

The ticket I flew on last weekend had a fairly typical set of fare rules: 5 sides of paper for the outbound fare rules, and 5 sides of paper for the inbound fare rules.

If there's an airline that sends out that much information, I'd love to know which one.

I have yet to come across an airline that either shows or sends you the entire fare rules. It always requires digging, and there are some tickets I buy (eg domestic AU fares) for which I can find no public source (even a paid one) for fare rules.

The ticket I flew on last weekend had a fairly typical set of fare rules: 5 sides of paper for the outbound fare rules, and 5 sides of paper for the inbound fare rules.

If there's an airline that sends out that much information, I'd love to know which one.

I don't know of any. A reservation confirmation email doesn't have the fare rules posted that I've ever seen. You can usually read these (even on Priceline, despite what's been posted on this board in the past) by clicking on "fare rules" or similiar wording before a ticket purchase.

I don't think most people even really know what fare rules are. They go to a webpage, enter the departure/return date, destination and click on "find the cheapest fares".

I'm really confused at this point by all the comments about upgrades, transferability and etc. Let me make this clear... I am not a frequent flier and I don't use points or rewards cards. I have never in my life bought a refundable fare. I have typically purchased directly from the airline and always ended up with U class tickets... just like I have right now. I just checked delta and my airfare is still exactly the same cost, same class, same restrictions as what I got through Choice Air. What exactly are you guys buying and how much more are you spending? I personally don't plan on spending anything more than 500-600 for 2 people to fly. I'm getting the impression you're spending a heck of a lot more money than I'm willing to ever spend on an airline ticket or you have rewards points that you use often from perhaps business travel. I fly maybe once every 1 or 2 years.
Here is what everyone is trying to explain:

You can buy your tickets via the Choice Air booking software, and let's say you pick flight DL2197, from Columbus to Atlanta, and DL1627 to FLL arriving at 10:28 am, plenty of time to get to the ship. Another person can buy the same flights, for the same price or probably a little less, directly from the airline, and which happen to be different fare code because it was direct from the airline as an individual purchase. You both show up on Saturday, Feb. 4 for your 6 am flight and discover that flight is cancelled, for whatever reason, snow, ice, equipment failure, whatever. The other person can call Delta or go to Customer Service and get their ticket changed. On the phone immediately she is told the only flight with any real availability is the 7:30 flight that goes first to Memphis and then the connection to FLL. (DL6120/2311). So she and her husband do that.

You, because of your ticket fare code which is consolidator, cannot. You are told to wait. What they politely don't tell you is you are waiting until passengers with more flexible fare codes get their tickets changed. So you call Choice Air, and they politely tell you to deal with the airline first. So you find a nice agent who tells you that your ticket is non-changeable, you can only fly through ATL, you cannot take the MEM flight. The next flight that goes CMH-ATL-FLL is at 7:15, but you cannot get on that one, because everyone with higher priority than you has taken the few available seats. So you hope for the 8:30 flight (DL 1009) and you manage to get two seats on that flight to ATL. But the 11:05 flight from ATL to FLL is full, so they book you on the 12:20 flight (1826), but there is only one seat and your DH is put on the next flight at 1:45 (1726) but it arrives at 3:39 in FLL which is only 20 minutes before sailing. You really don't want to split up, but the Choice Air person has been so nice and so positive sounding that they will hold the ship, so you and your husband decide you will take all the bags, yours and his, and pay the extra fees and meet each other at the gangway.

At this point you are really worried, so you call Choice Air back and they tell you that the airline has provided transportation, and to go ahead and hope for the best, and they will relay all this information to the captain to see if he will hold the ship for late arrivals, and that lady is so knowledgable and does this every week, so you feel hopeful. You cross your fingers and say thanks and get on your flights. Flight 1826 arrives 20 minutes late because it was delayed departing ATL. You go to baggage claim, after waiting 40 minutes, you realize you only have two of the three total bags, the other one having been misrouted because of the cancelled first flight. You file a claim, grab a taxi and head to the port. It is now 3:30 but you have been calling Choice Air all day and they keep saying thanks, we will let the ship know. You screech up to the loading area, heave your two bags at the porters, and pray that your husband is already in another cab on his way to the port.

You board, go through processing and just as you make it to your cabin, you feel the ship pulling away. It is 4:10 on your watch, you don't know if your husband is on the ship so you head down to the purser's office to find out. After many phone calls they finally tell you that he will meet you in the first port, which happens to be Labadee, Haiti. Whoops, they cannot fly pax to Haiti so they will get your DH to the second port, Jamaica. On Tuesday, and today is Saturday.

In a daze you head to the pool bar, for a big tropical drink in a coconut husk with an umbrella and fruit on skewers. You see the other 6am passenger who bought a non-consolidator ticket by the pool on a lounger. You say hi, and ask how she is. She starts in telling you her tale of woe, how she had to pay $150 each to change her tickets to route through MEM, and they were lousy little commuter planes and they got to FLL late, TWO whole hours after the original flight would have landed, and that really cut into her pool time. You are stunned, and cannot believe she it whining about such a little thing, so you dump your umbrella drink on her and walk away.

THAT is what Choice Air gets you.

And then the passenger who had the consolidator tickets is arrested for assault and put off the ship in Haiti. She of course, has no passport, and is too overwhelmed to deal with trying to get one, and realizes she didn't much like her husband anyway, so after recovering from the shock, she finally gets a job with a relief organization and spends the rest of her life helping rebuild after the earthquake.

Very nice explanation cherylandtk! However, IME, the smarter passenger by the pool would not have had to pay any change fee if she had a "regular" ticket and the airline re-routed her.

In a daze you head to the pool bar, for a big tropical drink in a coconut husk with an umbrella and fruit on skewers. You see the other 6am passenger who bought a non-consolidator ticket by the pool on a lounger. You say hi, and ask how she is. She starts in telling you her tale of woe, how she had to pay $150 each to change her tickets to route through MEM, and they were lousy little commuter planes and they got to FLL late, TWO whole hours after the original flight would have landed, and that really cut into her pool time. You are stunned, and cannot believe she it whining about such a little thing, so you dump your umbrella drink on her and walk away.

Funny, the fare rates also say that I can change my flight for $150 as well. I've checked and double checked that... I even called Delta to confirm that. I can change my tickets if I wish/need to at any point. But in any case, I am not flying in on Feb 4th as you might suggest so it's not an issue for me really. In fact I hope to get an offer for the $400 credit for a future flight for agreeing to take a different flight, we will fully take advantage of that if it's offered. In February I moved just a little to slow to get it on our way home from the last cruise.

Very nice explanation cherylandtk! However, IME, the smarter passenger by the pool would not have had to pay any change fee if she had a "regular" ticket and the airline re-routed her.
Yeah, I thought of that, but I went with a very restricted ticket and 'worst-case' scenario just to show Sherilynn how much worse a consolidator ticket is than the lowest of the non-refundable advance purchase tickets. In most cases, the other pax would not have had to pay the $150 change fee.

cannot believe she it whining about such a little thing, so you dump your umbrella drink on her and walk away.

OMG, I am LOL at your post. Can you please reply to everyone, always, who requires a detailed explanation of something? That was hilarious to read. :D

Oh, and to the person who doesn't understand consolidator tickets, it was also dead-on accurate. :eek:

Funny, the fare rates also say that I can change my flight for $150 as well. I've checked and double checked that... I even called Delta to confirm that. I can change my tickets if I wish/need to at any point. But in any case, I am not flying in on Feb 4th as you might suggest so it's not an issue for me really. In fact I hope to get an offer for the $400 credit for a future flight for agreeing to take a different flight, we will fully take advantage of that if it's offered. In February I moved just a little to slow to get it on our way home from the last cruise.
Overbooking offers are a good deal if it suits your time and schedule, so good luck with that. The amount of voluntary compensation changes according to the needs of the airline, and what was overbooked on one day or flight may not be overbooked on another. It could be higher or lower or not offered at all.

Did you ever find the fare code for your ticket? With all the checking and double checking you are doing with Delta on the phone, you should ask them for the fare code and THAT is the major consideration for you here...most people usually do get a consolidator ticket via Choice Air (you may have not in this instance) but nobody knows until you post the code which can then be deciphered for you. Mpinell, the lady from Orange County who got stuck in Omaha had no idea she was on a non-reroutable consolidator ticket until the travel delay occurred.

Did you ever find the fare code for your ticket? With all the checking and double checking you are doing with Delta on the phone, you should ask them for the fare code and THAT is the major consideration for you here...most people usually do get a consolidator ticket via Choice Air (you may have not in this instance) but nobody knows until you post the code which can then be deciphered for you. Mpinell, the lady from Orange County who got stuck in Omaha had no idea she was on a non-reroutable consolidator ticket until the travel delay occurred.

I have not had the free time to call them today. That was many weeks ago when I purchased the tickets and called to confirm it. I did that because at the time we still were not 100% certain we were going to be pulling off this cruise in the time frame we wanted without going into debt. I don't want to pay interest for this cruise and will cancel it if needed.

Sherilynn, Well, do ask Delta when you next find the time or happen to call and then post here. The Fare Code is the real determinant of what your ticket can or cannot be used for, and you have every right to know what you have purchased. There are many capable people who will be happy to help you decipher it. Even if you do have a consolidator ticket, you will know the limitations and can appropriately pre-plan your alternatives. And you sound like a pretty good planner.

I loved Cheryl's post too.

And I may be the only person who learned anything about Choice Air but I thank everyone for the information. Now I know it is just cruise air with a web interface for booking.

Well, then, our work is done here. :D

Here is what everyone is trying to explain:

You can buy your tickets via the Choice Air booking software, and let's say you pick flight DL2197, from Columbus to Atlanta, and DL1627 to FLL arriving at 10:28 am, plenty of time to get to the ship. Another person can buy the same flights, for the same price or probably a little less, directly from the airline, and which happen to be different fare code because it was direct from the airline as an individual purchase. You both show up on Saturday, Feb. 4 for your 6 am flight and discover that flight is cancelled, for whatever reason, snow, ice, equipment failure, whatever. The other person can call Delta or go to Customer Service and get their ticket changed. On the phone immediately she is told the only flight with any real availability is the 7:30 flight that goes first to Memphis and then the connection to FLL. (DL6120/2311). So she and her husband do that.

You, because of your ticket fare code which is consolidator, cannot. You are told to wait. What they politely don't tell you is you are waiting until passengers with more flexible fare codes get their tickets changed. So you call Choice Air, and they politely tell you to deal with the airline first. So you find a nice agent who tells you that your ticket is non-changeable, you can only fly through ATL, you cannot take the MEM flight. The next flight that goes CMH-ATL-FLL is at 7:15, but you cannot get on that one, because everyone with higher priority than you has taken the few available seats. So you hope for the 8:30 flight (DL 1009) and you manage to get two seats on that flight to ATL. But the 11:05 flight from ATL to FLL is full, so they book you on the 12:20 flight (1826), but there is only one seat and your DH is put on the next flight at 1:45 (1726) but it arrives at 3:39 in FLL which is only 20 minutes before sailing. You really don't want to split up, but the Choice Air person has been so nice and so positive sounding that they will hold the ship, so you and your husband decide you will take all the bags, yours and his, and pay the extra fees and meet each other at the gangway.

At this point you are really worried, so you call Choice Air back and they tell you that the airline has provided transportation, and to go ahead and hope for the best, and they will relay all this information to the captain to see if he will hold the ship for late arrivals, and that lady is so knowledgable and does this every week, so you feel hopeful. You cross your fingers and say thanks and get on your flights. Flight 1826 arrives 20 minutes late because it was delayed departing ATL. You go to baggage claim, after waiting 40 minutes, you realize you only have two of the three total bags, the other one having been misrouted because of the cancelled first flight. You file a claim, grab a taxi and head to the port. It is now 3:30 but you have been calling Choice Air all day and they keep saying thanks, we will let the ship know. You screech up to the loading area, heave your two bags at the porters, and pray that your husband is already in another cab on his way to the port.

You board, go through processing and just as you make it to your cabin, you feel the ship pulling away. It is 4:10 on your watch, you don't know if your husband is on the ship so you head down to the purser's office to find out. After many phone calls they finally tell you that he will meet you in the first port, which happens to be Labadee, Haiti. Whoops, they cannot fly pax to Haiti so they will get your DH to the second port, Jamaica. On Tuesday, and today is Saturday.

You know I've read this whole thing twice........I appreciate the story.....it really does help........sounds to me like regardless of price.........WHY would anyone want a consolidator ticket???

I'm still dazed and confused........have never used cruiseline air........always booked my own.........

Sounds like the bottom line is sometimes a deal isn't a deal at all:rolleyes:

I'll keep reading.......but this is one of the better threads and explanations I've seen on cruise critic in years.......:)

WHY would anyone want a consolidator ticket???

Because it's cheaper. Because it often works out. Because sometimes a deal is a deal. There's nothing wrong with purchasing such a ticket, but you need to know what you have. Most times, people have no idea what they are buying, and thus, have no idea what their rights are when things go upside down.

And I may be the only person who learned anything about Choice Air but I thank everyone for the information.

You are VERY welcome. I think I can speak for many here when I say that it's all about education and the sharing of genuine, real-life knowledge. Personally, I get a thrill passing along what I've learned over the years.

sounds to me like regardless of price.........WHY would anyone want a consolidator ticket???
There is usually one reason for buying a consolidator ticket. Price. It's the process of weighing that benefit vs the downsides.

If you are going somewhere and it isn't critical that you get there at any particular time, it may be a reasonable choice. If you are adaptable to endure a delay and are protected (either by yourself or insurance) for financial losses, same thing. Truth is, I've bought and used consolidator tickets. But only when it made sense - and with my eyes wide open.

In other words, it's a classic cost-benefit type of decision. And only each individual can assess their assignment of values to the two sides of the equation. I really don't care what anyone chooses to do....I'm a free-market kind of guy with a bit of a libertarian streak. I just want people to have as many facts as they can, so that they can make an intelligent, informed decision. And to debunk the myths that keep them from that informed choice.

To paraphrase the tag line from the old TV show "Naked City": "There are eight million cost-benefit decisions in your life. This has been one of them." (and if you're old enough to remember that show....well....)

Sorry...........Of course I KNOW Price is THE factor in buying a consolidator ticket.........What I meant to say is other than PRICE, why would anyone want a consolidator ticket.

I am not big on RISK.......especially if it is a once in a lifetime trip........I would rather pay more and at least increase my chances of getting there.......but that's just me.

Sorry...........Of course I KNOW Price is THE factor in buying a consolidator ticket.........What I meant to say is other than PRICE, why would anyone want a consolidator ticket.

I am not big on RISK.......especially if it is a once in a lifetime trip........I would rather pay more and at least increase my chances of getting there.......but that's just me.

I agree.... I don't mind consolidator tickets for the trip home, especially if it is on a Friday or Saturday which gives me plenty of time to get back before work. Now that there is little penalty for buying one-way domestic tickets, it is sometimes beneficial to shop around and split your outbound and inbound flights, especially since some airlines like JetBlue and Southwest often seem to charge much more for the return leg of a round trip.

What I meant to say is other than PRICE, why would anyone want a consolidator ticket.
For the experienced, there can be other reasons why you might want to do this. I used to buy many consolidator tickets for long-haul travel because of the way I could work with one particular company.

Normally, when you buy a ticket directly from the airline, you have to pay when you make the reservation and the ticket is issued pretty much there and then. From that moment, all the fare rules come into play. In particular, "no refunds" or (at best) a hefty cancellation fee come into operation when the ticket is issued; similarly, change fees apply from that point.

A consolidator is often allowed a lot more flexibility by the airline to make and change reservations without issuing a ticket. They can make and cancel whatever reservations they want if there is space in the correct booking class. Fundamentally, this allows the consolidator to take your money but not pass it on to the airline, as that only happens when the ticket is issued. But you can make this work to your advantage, by being able to change your reservations or even cancel them without having to incur the penalties that come into play when the ticket is issued. Thus, I have been able to make no-fee changes right up to a day or so before the first flight, or even to cancel the entire trip without a penalty at that point.

My relationship with this consolidator came to an end when it got taken over by another company. That was at about the time that fare rules for published fares for my main trips were significantly relaxed in many ways, and internet selling resulted in the consolidator's price advantage also being eroded to vanishing point. So I haven't personally bothered to try to forge a similar relationship with another consolidator. However, the industry still fundamentally works in the same way, and an experienced and frequent traveller could still do this.

But I think this largely underlines what you've said, though: for 99.9% of the travelling public, the reason why they buy consolidator tickets is price.

Too funny!

Archived