Buying Drink at Bar and taking to room

pkw

Not all kinds of beer are available for the bucket. THere are usually a couple kinds. Not the premium ones tho. But it does include a "free" bottle.

DH buys a bucket and stores the extras in the mini frig until he wants another. Just ask a bartender roaming at lunch hours in the buffet restaurant or at one of the outdoor bars. They don't advertise them with signage.

Pack a bottle opener. They aren't always as easy to find as in the past we have found.

Our relatives were born and raised in Wisconsin and they definitely found out how to get the bucket of beer delivered to their room each afternoon:).

We have often carried drinks from room to room. I will say that sometimes (depending on the ship), I get a somewhat 'evil eye' from the waiters if I walk into the dining room with my drink, but no one has ever stopped me. Some posters on other threads have also written out against that practice, but I am a light drinker and nurse my drink for quite awhile - I refuse to leave a half-finished drink on the table at the bar no matter what they say. To me the cruise ship is more or less your home away from home and I see no problem at home taking my drink from the kitchen or the living room to the dining room.

You are not supposed to carry drinks out of Captains Club events/Elite lounge, although when we stay until the end of the time period, we always walk out with our drinks if they are not finished and no one has ever said anything. Sometimes you will be stopped at the door if it is during the event and asked to finish your drink in the room. To me doing so is pretty tacky and embarrasses the guest but I have seen it done at times. Again, it depends on the ship and the hostess.

That is the manner in which I would use/consume the beers, chilling out on the balcony watching the ocean slip by....can visualise it now:):)

It makes the package pointless if I can`t have more than one to take back to the room though, but I can understand the reasons if they think I would be sharing them with someone....

There are no rules against sharing buckets of beer or any other pay as you go drink special. The only sharing rules apply to the unlimited beverage packages and those are limited to one drink at a time in any event.

If it is important to you to be able to do this then maybe the package isn't right for you and you should consider cancelling the package and just pay for your drinks as you order them. If you're on the pay as you go plan you can also buy cans of beer from your mini bar and order from room service at the same price as from the bar. It might even be that you could get the bucket of beer pricing from room service. Room service and mini bar are not included in the unlimited beverage plans.

...I will say that sometimes (depending on the ship), I get a somewhat 'evil eye' from the waiters if I walk into the dining room with my drink, but no one has ever stopped me. Some posters on other threads have also written out against that practice, but I am a light drinker and nurse my drink for quite awhile - I refuse to leave a half-finished drink on the table at the bar no matter what they say....

There is no issue on this at all on Celebrity. In fact, often there will be waiters with trays at the main dining room entrance and if they see you carrying a drink they'll ask you to put it on the tray so they can carry it for you and they'll follow you to the table.

Just wondering if anyone can help me here - is it possible to buy a drink from one of the bars onboard and take it back to your room to consume on your balcony?

I would never take one from my rooom to a public area butI am not sure if you can do it the other way around.

I dont really want to buy one of the in room alcohol packages but would still like to enjoy a drink in my room.

Would be very grateful for some help on this.

Thanks

PKW

I buy a couple cans of Boddington Ale and take back to room. Put in refrigerator and drink when I want one on balcony. Also get a couple of ale glasses for the beer.

We tend to buy the alcohol package especially on longer (14-15)day cruises, but if I wanted a specific drink from a bar to enjoy on balcony, I would for sure go buy it and bring back to room.

I've never heard of or seen beer sold by the bucket on Celebrity....

Hi,

On our last celebrity cruise they did have beer by the bucket. It was a great way to spend a sea day, a lounger in the shade, my kindle, & ice cold beers!

Celebrity does offer buckets of beer. I have also seen it plenty of times.

I enjoy a Stella myself:). I think the buckets are usually Corona.

How does this work if You have purchased the alcoholic drinks package sold as i understand it "by the glass"?

Can you have a bottle of wine or bucket of beer from any bar as part of the package and then take it to the room to drink on the balcony or when getting ready...?

We have already purchased the package for both of us in the room so "no sharing"...

Thanks

I can't speak for the beer, but you won't be able to get a bottle of wine on the packages- it's by the glass only. You can get a glass and take it to your room, however.

I personally am not comfortable with the reverse, bringing non-ship drinks into public areas because I think it's tacky. I wouldn't bring my own Coke into a restaurant or bar, let alone a glass of wine. But paying for a ship drink and taking it to your cabin is just fine.

Ah, the perils of coming with a built-in tan; I am never out by the pool, and seldom drink beer. I did not know.

Sorry 'bout that....

I am not out by the pool much at all but I do enjoy the AFT Bar

(which is outside). They serve buckets out there as well.

I've never heard of or seen beer sold by the bucket on Celebrity....

Solstice April 2011, buy 5 get 6. Usually at the pool bars. You will find out when in the daily paper. There will also be happy hours consisting of 2 for 1. Also in the paper. There are no secrets. They have them because they want you to buy.

I am also sure that you can buy a "bucket" of beer anytime but not at the special price. Just tell them how many you want and have the BT put them in a bucket. :D

Solstice April 2011, buy 5 get 6. Usually at the pool bars. You will find out when in the daily paper. There will also be happy hours consisting of 2 for 1. Also in the paper. There are no secrets. They have them because they want you to buy.

I am also sure that you can buy a "bucket" of beer anytime but not at the special price. Just tell them how many you want and have the BT put them in a bucket. :D

See message # 33.

I personally am not comfortable with the reverse, bringing non-ship drinks into public areas because I think it's tacky. I wouldn't bring my own Coke into a restaurant or bar, let alone a glass of wine. But paying for a ship drink and taking it to your cabin is just fine.

Susie:

With respect, nowhere in this thread was there any mention of taking non-ship drinks into public areas. (One person mentioned using their "in-room bar setup", which is perfectly fine). With that said, where someone gets/takes a beverage should be of no concern to anyone.

I am not out by the pool much at all but I do enjoy the AFT Bar

(which is outside). They serve buckets out there as well.

Lois, not to hijack this thread, but can you remind me of the circumstances when you were upgraded to an AQ cabin? What had you initially booked?

Thx Cathy

Susie:

With respect, nowhere in this thread was there any mention of taking non-ship drinks into public areas. (One person mentioned using their "in-room bar setup", which is perfectly fine). With that said, where someone gets/takes a beverage should be of no concern to anyone.

Absolutely agree - 100%! Have never had a problem carrying drinks around the ship - regardless of where they came from. I often carry a drink from my stateroom to dinner (having been made with an in-room bar setup). The waiters at the door always offer to carry it for me to my table. :D

As for the buckets of beer, these are especially popular on the Caribbean cruises. On my last cruise, we had an Aussie and a Dutchman who were particularly fond of ordering these out on the aft deck. We had a great time with them as they consumed the 6 for 5 specials!

Lois, not to hijack this thread, but can you remind me of the circumstances when you were upgraded to an AQ cabin? What had you initially booked?

Thx Cathy

Hi Cathy, the prices went way down. Way down....I had booked a regular

balcony and decided to try a balcony in AQ class. The prices for all

the cabins had dropped very low. This was back in September and I

am guessing hurricane season had an effect on that sailing.

The buckets of beer sold on Carnival consists of 4 beers of any kind and you can even mix it up if you want. The bottles are of aluminum and not glass, so they are a little bigger than a normal size drink. My hubby doesn't normally drink beer, so if I can't get him to drink 1 or 2 of the beers I just put the remaining beers in the cabin fridge to save them for later.

Hi Cathy, the prices went way down. Way down....I had booked a regular

balcony and decided to try a balcony in AQ class. The prices for all

the cabins had dropped very low. This was back in September and I

am guessing hurricane season had an effect on that sailing.

Oh, that's right. I thought it was an upgrade. I will keep checking prices on my guarantee!

Thx Cathy

Archived