Reporton Vancouver embarkation

LindaKE

We just returned from our Alaskan cruise. I was dreading embarkation in Vancouver because of the horror stories I'd read. Embarkation was a breeze! We did arrive early, probably before 10:30, although I didn't check my watch. We stayed pre-cruise at the Pan Pacific where the bellman told us to call 30 minutes before we wanted to go down to the port. He arrived in 10 minutes, so we were even earlier getting there than planned. When we got downstairs, Customs was open, and we, basically, walked right through all stops until we got to the HAL waiting room. There were about 30-40 passengers ahead of us, but we only waited about 30 minutes before HAL let us begin boarding. This was the easiest embarkation we've ever had.

Other than the the two big weekends at the start and end of the cruising season embarkation at Vancouver usually goes fairly smoothly.

Good to hear that you had a good experience.

Cheers

Dennis

We just returned from our Alaskan cruise. I was dreading embarkation in Vancouver because of the horror stories I'd read. Embarkation was a breeze! We did arrive early, probably before 10:30, although I didn't check my watch. We stayed pre-cruise at the Pan Pacific where the bellman told us to call 30 minutes before we wanted to go down to the port. He arrived in 10 minutes, so we were even earlier getting there than planned. When we got downstairs, Customs was open, and we, basically, walked right through all stops until we got to the HAL waiting room. There were about 30-40 passengers ahead of us, but we only waited about 30 minutes before HAL let us begin boarding. This was the easiest embarkation we've ever had.

We will be on the Zuiderdam in Sept. and I have been a little worried about the embarkation reports.It sounds like they have fixed whatever problems they had.Thanks for the :)update.

We will be on the Zuiderdam in Sept. and I have been a little worried about the embarkation reports.It sounds like they have fixed whatever problems they had.Thanks for the :)update.

As someone else pointed out. There are a couple of days early and late in the season where there's a much higher number of ships in town. Especially on the 1st one, (where there are a lot of new staff), there's typically delays.

Adding to the time versus any other port in the world is that pre-boarding you clear immigration and customs for your 1st port stop

Did you have view of your ship from your room at the Pan Pacific?

It's such a convenient hotel to stay at before or after a cruise.

Unfortunately, no, we had a city view. We got about $100 discounted after we booked by agreeing to take the city view. But we really liked our room. It had huge windows making up a wide wall overlooking the Fairmont and the long line of taxis that backed up all the way around the far block picking up debarking passengers. While we didn't get to see the Zuiderdam as soon as we awoke, we saw her at breakfast. We were so glad we stayed there. Not only was it nice, but the convenience made it worth anything extra we paid.

Unfortunately, no, we had a city view. We got about $100 discounted after we booked by agreeing to take the city view. But we really liked our room. It had huge windows making up a wide wall overlooking the Fairmont and the long line of taxis that backed up all the way around the far block picking up debarking passengers. While we didn't get to see the Zuiderdam as soon as we awoke, we saw her at breakfast. We were so glad we stayed there. Not only was it nice, but the convenience made it worth anything extra we paid.

Thanks for the report on embarkation. We are sailing at the end of August and spending 3 nights pre cruise at the Pan Pacific. We too have a city view, which is fine with us.

Mary Lou

Quick question - How many ships were in port that day?

Thanks

There were 2: ours with about 2000 and a Princess with about 2600. I expected to see 4 since ours was a Saturday sailing, but we were the only 2 there.

There were 2: ours with about 2000 and a Princess with about 2600. I expected to see 4 since ours was a Saturday sailing, but we were the only 2 there.

http://www.portmetrovancouver.com/en/about/cruiseandtourism/cruiselineschedules.aspx gives the schedules for any given day (of course like clockwork it was broken when I tried), but still a very useful reference.

As many people have said, it's generally only the days with 3 or 4 ships in town when it gets bad, and like everything, opening day is always the worst as people aren't up to speed yet.

Archived