Tipping Question

We will be cruising New Zealand and doing a land trip in Sydney late this year. We have a number of independent tours booked - a combination of both small group and private tours.

What is the proper tipping protocol for Australia and New Zealand for tour guides? We want to tip properly and not over or under tip.

Thanks for your help.

We will be cruising New Zealand and doing a land trip in Sydney late this year. We have a number of independent tours booked - a combination of both small group and private tours.

What is the proper tipping protocol for Australia and New Zealand for tour guides? We want to tip properly and not over or under tip.

Thanks for your help.

proper Protocol is NO TIPPING

People should get paid award wages and do their job accordingly to a high standard.

If Tipping comes about in NZ and Australia we will have eventuate the same as in the tipping world -

TO INSURE PROMPT SERVICE- you have to tip.

If wages were are a living wage then tipping wouldn't be necessary.

Do in Rome as Romans do-

when we travel overseas we always tip.

In NZ and Australia we only tip if we have had exceptional service and and have enjoyed engaging with the staff- egs waiters, cleaners etc.

We have a number of independent tours booked - a combination of both small group and private tours.

Australia doesn't have a tipping culture, so there is no proper tipping protocol.

Please don't tip on your independent tours.

Of course, in exceptional circumstances, you may choose to give a little extra, but not for just doing a good job, which is to be expected.

I agree. Don't Tip.

When we travel overseas ourselves, because it is an alian practice for us, we try to do the right thing but I am always conscious of over tipping or not giving enough. Also it is embarrassing :owhen I rarely carry cash.

Never quite know what to leave on the table? or who to tip for salon treatments etc. :confused:

I do however leave the cruise gratuity's on so don't have to think about that.

Australia doesn't have a tipping culture, so there is no proper tipping protocol.

Please don't tip on your independent tours.

Of course, in exceptional circumstances, you may choose to give a little extra, but not for just doing a good job, which is to be expected.

Totally agree - Tip ONLY in exceptional circumstances.

When we were on the Diamond Princess last year I was horrified that Princess advocates tipping of 15% (from memory) as the norm! I made sure I mentioned in my survey, that this is totally incorrect.

I think the poster was referring to on land tours-

I don't mind tipping on cruise ships and overseas,

But definitely not in NZ and Australia -

we don't really want tipping as part of our culture because a person is paid wages etc to do a job and should do it well in the first place.

Thanks for your help.

There is no protocol for tipping tour guides. Individual tipping or group collections for the guide or driver on a group tour would be unusual unlike standard practices in China, Europe or the Americas. On a private tour if you are the only clients there may be the expectation of a tip but these tours in NZ and Australia are priced to take into account the local wage structure, if the driver / guide is an employee. If you feel the urge to tip as a private sole client do so - this will not have any impact on the tipless society. If an owner / driver or owner/ guide has not priced the tour to cover expenses plus profit then s/he is in the wrong business. On some tours where local communities or volunteer groups provide entertainment or hospitality there may be a "make a donation" opportunity. Up to you but I usually do so both at home and overseas. Worth taking some small notes with you depending on the tour.

There is no protocol for tipping tour guides. Individual tipping or group collections for the guide or driver on a group tour would be unusual unlike standard practices in China, Europe or the Americas. On a private tour if you are the only clients there may be the expectation of a tip but these tours in NZ and Australia are priced to take into account the local wage structure, if the driver / guide is an employee. If you feel the urge to tip as a private sole client do so - this will not have any impact on the tipless society. If an owner / driver or owner/ guide has not priced the tour to cover expenses plus profit then s/he is in the wrong business. On some tours where local communities or volunteer groups provide entertainment or hospitality there may be a "make a donation" opportunity. Up to you but I usually do so both at home and overseas. Worth taking some small notes with you depending on the tour.

A koha on Marae is always expected but that is a whole different issue.

But the tour guide will always be holding the door of the coach/bus open for you, with a smile on their face, expecting something. They are like that the world over, believe me.

But the tour guide will always be holding the door of the coach/bus open for you, with a smile on their face, expecting something. They are like that the world over, believe me.

if people from TIPPING COUNTRIES encourage it :mad:- that behaviour will only increase.

We have no problem with slipping the guide $5 at the end of the ship tours.

We also give the taxi driver extra as we have been lucky with the drivers we have hired off the street/wharf.

All of them have been friendly,helpful and knowledgable.

I can't understand the ""no tip"" reasoning.

cheers

juliette

Thanks for everyone's input. It is really helpful. Believe me, I do not want to bring the US tipping culture to other countries. That is why I asked, I do believe in following the country's culture. So I promise not to tip as a general rule. :D

Just thought of one other thing; is it acceptable or expected to pay for the tour guide's lunch if they join you? This would be on a private tour with just my DH and myself.

We have no problem with slipping the guide $5 at the end of the ship tours.

We also give the taxi driver extra as we have been lucky with the drivers we have hired off the street/wharf.

All of them have been friendly,helpful and knowledgable.

I can't understand the ""no tip"" reasoning.

cheers

juliette

Tipping in the USA and Canada is NOT slipping $5.00 at the end of a tour.

It is 15-20% of the tour price and IT IS EXPECTED.

Do you want that to eventuate in Australia and NZ???:confused:

Thanks for everyone's input. It is really helpful. Believe me, I do not want to bring the US tipping culture to other countries. That is why I asked, I do believe in following the country's culture. So I promise not to tip as a general rule. :D

Just thought of one other thing; is it acceptable or expected to pay for the tour guide's lunch if they join you? This would be on a private tour with just my DH and myself.

No unless previously arranged and private- General group tours - you just pay the tour price,

Come and enjoy our part of the world without having to worry.

Some prices will be higher than at home because people's wages have been factored in.

- whereas in the USA/ Canada guests etc are paying a portion of wages in gratuities.

I think the poster was referring to on land tours-

I don't mind tipping on cruise ships and overseas,

But definitely not in NZ and Australia -

we don't really want tipping as part of our culture because a person is paid wages etc to do a job and should do it well in the first place.

Agree completely.

I agree with other posters regarding continuing with a tipping free Australia and New Zealand.

Our cultural norm is that the operators will have factored in making a profit and are paying their staff a decent wage. Of course we have people working on a minimum wage but not to the same extent as the US and as far as I know we do not have people who rely on tips to extend their wage or live on tips alone.

I found it confusing and embarrassing while travelling overseas to add an extra 15-20% onto whatever service I was getting. I feel as though it places me in the position where I’m either required to make up the shortfall for employers who don’t pay staff adequately, who then have to work harder to please me in the hope I’ll give them more money, or I have to assess whether certain people were going the extra mile and should get even more. I also kind of resent the implication that by not tipping Australians and New Zealanders must be stingy … which annoys me.

I am most definitely in the category that WOULD NOT like that to become the cultural norm in our part of the world. Generally people in Australia and New Zealand who go the extra mile do it because they’re decent people who enjoy their job and want to be helpful, and I imagine not in anticipation that somebody will give them money for doing it … although I imagine it would be nice to earn extra. I also wonder how many people who are given extra money are embarrassed by it (which I certainly would at first) when they’re essentially doing their job.

However, having said that nobody can stop people from offering tips so it’s a moot point really.

It is appropriate to offer and then judge whether to press if the first offer is refused. In general locals in NZ or Oz do not work on the "ask me three times before I accept" basis so a first firm refusal is meant. Our only experience of this being expected was in Thailand where we were informed up front by our minder from the Thai Tourist Authority that we were expected to pay for the driver's lunch. No problem as we always ate in excellent local rather than tourist style = expensive restaurants. We were also advised that the driver was entitled to the best part of the dish. Since this was frequently fish and the best part was the eyes, we did not object.

Tipping should be up to the individual. If you want to tip, tip, if not, don't. I will tip on American cruise lines IF I get exceptional service. If I haven't had a good experience with a particular person I won't tip...why should I?

On P&O Australian ships I generally wouldn't tip as that's our culture here. Having said that we did tip the staff at the kids club because they looked after our kids so well, we wanted to reward them with a bit extra...our choice. ;):)

It is very interesting to get everyone's viewpoint. For the record, I have never tipped 15 to 20% for a tour. I feel that is way too much - for one thing - a tour often includes admission charges and maybe food. I am definitely not going to tip 20% on that.

I looked up tipping protocol in the US and found some interesting things. For one thing it stated you should tip in cash and not add it on the charge. I don't know anyone who does that - except maybe at a local restaurant. I'm a business traveler and often pick up the bill for the entire group. No way am I going to tip in cash. It would be hard to expense and I don't carry that much cash. Plus, I won't get as many points from my credit card. :)

So don't worry if you don't follow tipping protocol in the US, most of us don't follow it either.

It is very interesting to get everyone's viewpoint. For the record, I have never tipped 15 to 20% for a tour. I feel that is way too much - for one thing - a tour often includes admission charges and maybe food. I am definitely not going to tip 20% on that.

I looked up tipping protocol in the US and found some interesting things. For one thing it stated you should tip in cash and not add it on the charge. I don't know anyone who does that - except maybe at a local restaurant. I'm a business traveler and often pick up the bill for the entire group. No way am I going to tip in cash. It would be hard to expense and I don't carry that much cash. Plus, I won't get as many points from my credit card. :)

So don't worry if you don't follow tipping protocol in the US, most of us don't follow it either.

Agree, I take plenty of 1$ and $5 notes for 'tips.' if the service is good.

Tipping in the USA and Canada is NOT slipping $5.00 at the end of a tour.

It is 15-20% of the tour price and IT IS EXPECTED.

Do you want that to eventuate in Australia and NZ???:confused:

We (USA) usually tip 15-20% for restaurants

15% is standard for restaurants

20 - 25% for exceptional service

18-20% for groups (over 8) not optional it is usually added to the bill

We usually give the good tour guide $5 (so-so gets $2) and the driver $2

Hair dressers are 10%.

At self-service locations with a TIP jar, we usually drop the coins from our change into the jar.

But unlike a lot of countries, we do not pay our service industry employees a living wage and they are dependent upon their tips for survival.

Archived