Are you an after dinner changer?

helpthejuggler

Are you an after dinner quick change artist?  

416 members have voted

1. 1. Are you an after dinner quick change artist?

• Never, once dressed, we stay dressed
    • Sometimes, it depends on how we feel
    • I always change ASAP
    • Change down only on formal nights
    • Don't do formal dress, so make other dinner plans

I should say that I have a head-splitting migraine for two days now, and calling strangers on the internet flat-chested is not my normal M.O.

While I stand by my stance...that formal wear can be really uncomfortable for the ladies, no matter how much we love it, I'm not a fan of how I carried out the statements. So I apologize.

Back to my cold head-cloth and a dimly lit room...

Never. I've honestly never understood why you would want to get changed after.

When you put on nice clothes and take that extra time on your appearance, most of the time you look your best. If your clothes fit properly there's no reason why they wouldn't be comfortable (I don't buy clothes that are not, unless I look so amazing in them I don't care!), so why not enjoy your evening looking great?

Never. I've honestly never understood why you would want to get changed after.

When you put on nice clothes and take that extra time on your appearance, most of the time you look your best. If your clothes fit properly there's no reason why they wouldn't be comfortable (I don't buy clothes that are not, unless I look so amazing in them I don't care!), so why not enjoy your evening looking great?

Yes, I have the tailor at Brooks Brothers fit my tuxedo and my suits. I still don't enjoy wearing them. I think they should get rid of the pretentious pretend evenings on cruise ships. They are not a real event. It is play dress up. Eliminating the formal evenings would not prevent those who enjoy wearing stuffy duds from wearing their costumes.

I understand where you are coming from, but yes, I always have professional fittings done whenever I purchase undergarments. And I spent a horrid three months after the .com I was working for went bust at Victoria's Secret, measuring people.

Oh, that's good news :D Maybe it's less common to get fitted here, most women I know just go for "whatever fits" from H&M. Unless you really are nearly flat chested, those aren't bras you should wear.

Hope your migrane is gone by now. Poor thing :(

Oh, that's good news :D Maybe it's less common to get fitted here, most women I know just go for "whatever fits" from H&M. Unless you really are nearly flat chested, those aren't bras you should wear.

Hope your migrane is gone by now. Poor thing :(

I can't believe I missed the whole ".com went bust, so I was measuring people's busts" segway. For shame, Summer!

And thank you, it's SOOO much better!

This dress topic has been knocked around on boards in various forms for years. Kids need guidance and rules. Adults? Sometimes. Usually most people know what's appropriate to wear to fit in. Years ago, formal night was really formal. I also wore fancy long gowns and my husband always wore his tuxedo. Over the years, there have been fewer people wearing really formal attire. That's not bad. It's just a sign of the times. More people like casual. I love casual. It's easier and more comfortable. When I am on a cruise that includes a formal night (and there are cruise lines that are all casual like Azamara and Oceania....both fabulous) I wear a dress that I would wear to a formal affair at home. These days it will be a short hem black dress with glitzy faux jewelry. Always take faux jewelry for formal night. I never bring real jewelry. I look great. However, I do take a look at what other people are wearing as a guide for the 2nd formal night. If they look very formal and stay that way all night, I also remain in the formal attire. If not, I dress down or change after dining. I feel more comfortable fitting in. If lots of people dress up, I also dress. If people change, I'll go along. I would look funny if I everyone changed and I stayed formally dressed. Just be comfortable.....it's your cruise. Do what you feel comfortable doing. Don't make rules for other adults. Take a look around. There are lots of candidates for "What Not to Wear." ...and they won't change.

Yes, I have the tailor at Brooks Brothers fit my tuxedo and my suits. I still don't enjoy wearing them. I think they should get rid of the pretentious pretend evenings on cruise ships. They are not a real event. It is play dress up. Eliminating the formal evenings would not prevent those who enjoy wearing stuffy duds from wearing their costumes.

I'm glad you said it instead of me. ;) I may have been thinking the same thing, but this is in no way to be construed as a confession. :D

Now, I'm going to get some popcorn, and wait for the responses. I think I can see the posters coming down the street now!

2014797.jpg?v=1&c=NewsMaker&k=2&d=77BFBA49EF878921F7C3FC3F69D929FD0005E883AA08E67E546B6E3AEA06429623740BE70261416C

I see a lot of old poorly fitting formal attire.....an old prom dress or bridesmaid gown...the dress from a wedding that is too tight. If it doesn't fit, leave it home. There are some people who would rather squeeze into an old outdated dress than get a good fitting one. It can be that bad. What ever you wear, make sure it fits. You will look and feel better in a simple outfit that fits than a glitzy tight one....and you won't stand out for the crowd to look at...and shake their heads thinking...."are they that blind...or just cheap"?

keeping them won't stop the muffin top look in in poorly fitted designer jeans

:cj

My wife enjoys playing dress up so I might as well enjoy the pretentious pretend evening (I'll be 007 and my wife will be the Hot Babe) so I say keep them. As far as costumes go you should check out some of the ones some of the kids wear on the Boardwalk here.

(yeah I know,we wore some equally silly things back in the 60's and 70's )

My wife enjoys playing dress up so I might as well enjoy the pretentious pretend evening (I'll be 007 and my wife will be the Hot Babe) so I say keep them. As far as costumes go you should check out some of the ones some of the kids wear on the Boardwalk here.

(yeah I know,we wore some equally silly things back in the 60's and 70's )

Kids should express their individuality. That is part of growing up. Adults should express individuality too but we should have learned to do it tastefully.

I think adult men should own a tux and at least one suit but I don't think the place for them is a cruise vacation. I think a sports jacket or blazer makes more sense if one wants to be dressy on a resort type vacation. If they eliminated formal nights I would likely bring a blazer but I would not expect others to do so. I packed one on Azamara although I can't recall now if I actually used it.

Admittedly, I no longer wear a tux to formal nights, but I do wear either a blazer or dark suit with a tie to dinner. After dinner the jacket and tie disappear very quickly. Not sure if that's considered "changing"...

My wife enjoys playing dress up so I might as well enjoy the pretentious pretend evening (I'll be 007 and my wife will be the Hot Babe) so I say keep them.

Can you say PW?:p:p

You've obviously never worn a bra.

I agree 100%. Men have no idea what it's like to wear a bra, especially on a hot and humid day. But I have one question. Don't you wear a bra when you are dressed in casual clothes??? LOL:eek:

I agree 100%. Men have no idea what it's like to wear a bra, especially on a hot and humid day. But I have one question. Don't you wear a bra when you are dressed in casual clothes??? LOL:eek:

LOL...didn't you see my earlier post about leaving work and changing into pjs immediately?

windynme, Yes, but most evening gowns and cocktail dresses require a strapless bra, which is a lot more uncomfortable than a regular one. However, this has been a moot point recently because I now wear silk pants with a dressy top on formal nights, which is acceptable for formal night on a ship even though it is not really formal.

What a VERY RUDE post/reply I don't think it's anything to do with size it's what you feel best doing and if I heard your reply in person I would have no issues saying how rude I think you are and judging by your rude comments you might look smart on the outside but it's clearly whats on the inside that counts.

Ditto! We stay in our formal clothes the entire evening.

As far as, formal wear being so uncomfortable for some people....well, perhaps if they wore correctly sized undergarments and/or clothes that actually fit them...then perhaps it would be a different story.;)

Kids should express their individuality. That is part of growing up. Adults should express individuality too but we should have learned to do it tastefully.

I think adult men should own a tux and at least one suit but I don't think the place for them is a cruise vacation. I think a sports jacket or blazer makes more sense if one wants to be dressy on a resort type vacation. If they eliminated formal nights I would likely bring a blazer but I would not expect others to do so. I packed one on Azamara although I can't recall now if I actually used it.

Yeah whatever. Don't get your undies in a knot because most enjoy formal night.Remember its a Cruise not a Resort Vacation.I would never bing a Tux on a a resort Vacation

Yeah whatever. Don't get your undies in a knot because most enjoy formal night.Remember its a Cruise not a Resort Vacation.I would never bing a Tux on a a resort Vacation

I think this is a key point though. A lot of people new to the cruising industry don't differentiate between the two. The cruise merely floats. It is a resort vacation.

I think this is a key point though. A lot of people new to the cruising industry don't differentiate between the two. The cruise merely floats. It is a resort vacation.

Respectfully disagree.Thats why people pack differently for a cruise, even people new to cruising.Now I am talking Celebrity,RCCL is a different story

Thankfully cruising is still a lot different from a resort vacation. A few years ago we went to a 5 star AI resort in Mexico which enforced a "strict" dress code in the a la carte restaurants; men had to wear long pants and no open toed shoes, women no swimwear or rubber flip flops. You should have seen the outrage and arguing at the entrance to the restaurants!

I couldn't believe that it was such a big deal to people. Next, we'll hear about people who want to eat naked because it's more comfortable.

Cruise ships are floating resorts resorts these days. As far as most enjoying formal nights I think most think of it as something like going to the dentist. They would enjoy the cruise more if they did not have them. That is why people are changing out of the duds right after dinner.

I can not think of one good reason for formal nights on a cruise.

Archived