Glossy Pretty Cruise Brochures......

sail7seas

Let's keep it really simple...

If you have been told the brochures are being discontinued, you were given incorrect information.

There's a bit of a rearrangement, but paper brochures are not being discontinued.

Can't go into more because they have not been released yet (soon!) but paper brochures currently (or will very soon) cover through quite a bit of 2013

Thanks DBA, this is really good news. Much appreciated. While I certainly use the computer, it's much easier for dh to review the brochure when we are narrowing down our choices.

We really enjoy our cruise planner and use it every year:)

Since we won't be planning another cruise until 2013 and we don't think or know if we'll be coming back to HAL I guess I really don't need the glossy brochures and I'd already asked HAL to stop sending them to me. Granted we used to leave them on the coffee table or out on the patio table and glance through them from time to time so it's not like we didn't use them.

A 'one-page-has-all' link to HAL's brochures may be found here: http://www.hollandamerica.com/cruise-destinations/EBrochures.action (including the lamented Cruise Planner.) They are downloadable either as Adobe Air documents, or as .pdfs, should you prefer that format.

Scott, thanks to you, I discovered the online cruise planner. Must say I prefer it to the paper version and I loaded it to my desktop for instant perusal - no i don't have a huge monitor but it displays just fine on my 19" one. We do a good job of recycling but all the paper I get just annoys me. (Before anyone comments on my youth, I am over 60 and retired, so no spring chicken! and I love my computer and the access it gives me.)

I agree they are nice and I too love to have everything you need in one place to browse. Unfortunately from an environmental point of view they are wasting a lot of our precious natural resources.

From an environmental point of view, the trees are grown and harvested and the paper is produced. And then more trees are planted to replace those which have been harvested.

On the other hand,When we take a cruise, the enormous amount of petroleum which is consumed by the ship is completely irreplaceable.

So, should all cruise ships be secured forever at a dock, similar to the Queen Mary in Long Beach CA ?

I like having the cruise planner and brochures around to flip through on occasion, but I would never plan my cruise around information in the brochure. They are pretty much out of date the second they are printed - the website (generally) has much more current information.

Am I the only one that cares that HAL seems to be discontinuing printing brochures?

I have heard there will no longer be brochures as we know them including discontinuation of Cruise Planner.

Yes, I get it about electronic everything but I will miss the cruise planner. I probably won't miss the usual 'Americas' etc brochure but DH and I are still those who like to sit in a comfy chair and browse the brochure to choose our cruises. I don't like jumping all over the HAL site to check this and that itinerary. :(

So many things we are saying bye-bye to these days.

A vote please....

Who cares and who does not? I hope it's just me.

Well, I, for one, don't care as the e-brochures are quite readily available online to read on the HAL website! :) Maybe it has something to do with cost saving, much the same as e-docs! ;)

Since they are in such tiny print and I cannot read them anyway, I say Kudos to HAL for saving money by having them go bye bye instead of raising the fares to keep printing them.

I can sit and gaze at the brochures on line, with the font increased and dream away:)

And yes, I am quite aware that I will be in the minority on this matter, but remember I cannot read the printed ones anyway so for me it is not a loss. Sorry all...

Joanie

But you do know that you can easily increase the size of the page, don't you? :)

From an environmental point of view, the trees are grown and harvested and the paper is produced. And then more trees are planted to replace those which have been harvested.

How about the energy that is used to keep producing more paper...I don't believe they are growing paper!

I can go either way, although I do like perusing brochures. I don't always want to go turn on the computer and browse a web site - e.g., in the middle of the night when I'm having trouble sleeping, it's nice to be able to flip through a brochure while in bed - or if I just want to check a deck plan or itinerary.

A 'one-page-has-all' link to HAL's brochures may be found here: http://www.hollandamerica.com/cruise-destinations/EBrochures.action (including the lamented Cruise Planner.) They are downloadable either as Adobe Air documents, or as .pdfs, should you prefer that format.Scott.

If HAL wants to off-set costs....then charge for the brochures. They could be purchased thru the Holland America website.

I would be more than willing to pay....

Actually, by downloading a brochure (use Scott's link above for starters) and printing it yourself, you are paying for it - you can even buy glossy paper at any office supply store if you really want it shiny! If printed brochures sent by HAL were eliminated, I would print it off myself.

On the other hand,When we take a cruise, the enormous amount of petroleum which is consumed by the ship is completely irreplaceable.

So, should all cruise ships be secured forever at a dock, similar to the Queen Mary in Long Beach CA ?

Thank you for saving me a post, Math Guy. :)

I have never, and don't intend to ever, decided on a cruise without a brochure except for my one on HAL; and I saw that in a brochure somewhere. I chose it due to itinerary and having heard about HAL and the size ship.

The most expensive vacation I have been on came about after receiving a brochure with a picture of the "Royal Clipper" on the cover!

I use the computer to check out cabins as I can increase the resolution to a readable point, then double-check in the brochure.

I am very glad to read DBA's comments and know that hard copy information will still be available. I find the Cruise Planner, as well as Princess' Cruise Atlas, extremely valuable in helping me cruise shop and plan.

As you may know, Carnival Cruise Lines has discontinued issuing paper brochures. Some on CC's Carnival Board feel as I do, that they have made a marketing mistake. I took the initiative to send my opinions to Mr. Arison, Mr. Cahill, and to the Presiding Director of the Board for Carnival Corporation. I received two nice responses, one from the Vice-President and Director of Marketing for Carnival Cruise Lines that explained their decision. But, he also said that while he did not think they would change course, it is an issue that they do monitor.

My suggestion is to write--not e-mail--the officials in Seattle and let them know how you feel. A copy of your letter to Mr. Arison would not be inappropriate, I do not think. And, if you are a shareholder of CCL, a copy of the letter to the Board's Presiding Director (you can find his name in the Annual Report) would be approrpiate, too.

I like the brochures for the deck plans of the various ships which I find very difficult to follow online. The brochure offers you the whole ship on two pages which your eye can go to one deck to another. Princess Cruise Atlas for 2012-2013 has the deck plans for all ships whereas HAL's Cruise Planner 2011-2012 does not. I think every cruise line could have one brochure will all the itineraries and all the deck plans in one place. In my mind, that would be perfect.

Every one of our cruises have begun with a brochure sent in the mail. Typically, DH hands me the mail and doesn't say a word. He waits for me to get thru the bills and junk mail and then for me to gasp when I get to the HAL brochure. He hands me a glass of wine while I dive into the glossy pages. If I burst into tears he knows we're in real trouble. "What did you find?" he asks. I point with trembling finger to the map and itinerary in the brochure that has touched my heart. That's when he says I should see about booking that cruise.

I love that man. [Pause for happy sigh]

I use HAL's website to research the cruises in their brochure -- especially the "Views and Verandah Sale," which has reeled me in several times. You can't highlight a screen shot with a yellow marker, draw asterisks on the itineraries or the ships you prefer, or cut out the little map to put in your cruise-planning binder. And you can't sit on the couch or on the porch swing with loving arms around you while you plan your next adventure together -- unless you have a laptop handy.

Mrs M

How about the energy that is used to keep producing more paper...I don't believe they are growing paper!

It takes energy to run your PC. And to produce it. And to keep the servers running at the data farm where the e-docs are stored for internet access, not to mention the browser server farm that searches for, locates and accesses the cruise line servers. Just a brief overview of energy used for the WWW. There's more.

When planning a cruise, from beginning to end, destination, itineraries, budget planning for cabin location, all the ship options to study, such as dining and entertainment, excursion planning...etc...how many trips to the website would that be? And, most of that information is in the printed brochure.

The internet is not really a green option. Companies that have you visit their website and offer to send you a brochure via snail mail with a click of a button are the greenest option.

In case you are wondering, one of my responsibilities at work is designing the electrical capacities for a large network. I see the hidden brown behind the green. It's rediculous.

Take my formal nights if you must (though I would hate to see them go)

But

NOOOO!!!! Don't take my glossy brochures! My wish books! I can study them in places that a computer (or my iPad) cannot go -- the brochure never runs out of battery or needs to be plugged in -- it has deck plans that allow you to look at all the decks at once to clearly see what is in top of (or underneath) what -- so helpful when booking. Online deck plans really do not do that well at all.

I also think it would be a mistake for HAL to discontinue the FCC's.

What about those who still do not have/use computers? Are they to not cruise? Not all of them have a handy brick and mortar TA they can drop in and work with. Some have to make their bookings by telephone. How many telephone TA's will devote the time and energy to search itineraries, dates, comparisons etc for them?

Not many can spend that much time for one client.

My brick and mortar TA went out of business some years ago and there are few left in our cosmopolitan area. Most have closed.

I think it's too late for our complaints and expressions of disappointment. If I have been told accurately (and I have every reason to think so), the decision has been made and it is what it is. I don't recall them asking our opinion. :D :)

So, we will still be able to receive a paper copy of a Cruise Planner for 2012-2013?

I've given as much info as I can and if I recall, did not name any brochures. But you seem to be hinting at the printed brochures are going the way of the dodo and I advised in my original reply that is incorrect.

Are you telling us the replacement is an 'equal replacement' as far as ease of seeing cruise offerings.

The description I got sounds like a very different thing. Should we think we will still get a format like the cruise planner minus the glossy and pretty pictures?

I honestly have no idea where you've been given the impression that there will no longer be pictures etc. This is absolutely not the case.

I don't care about the glossy or the pretty pictures nearly as much as I care about an orderly format where we can select our future cruises. Going to the website to jump around looking for itineraries to compare is not the way I want to choose cruises.

The cruise planner is the one I most care about.

Utilizing the search features on the website make it so you don't have to "jump around" as you can enter as much or little info as you want. For instance you can just look at EVERYTHING "Western Caribbean" or you can look up "Eastern Caribbean, October 2012, Noordam" all at the same time and only get those that are applicable. The secret is utilizing the search feature to its full potential. Most people at least start off knowing some combo of date, destination, ship, length of cruise. Use that as a starting point and go from there.

It was not a FCC who told me. Please don't assume it was.

I read your two lines of text as "one thought" and got the impression you were inferring it was. My apologies as it seems that was not the case

Above in red

I think it's too late for our complaints and expressions of disappointment. If I have been told accurately (and I have every reason to think so), the decision has been made and it is what it is. I don't recall them asking our opinion. :D :)

Paper brochures are still around and will still be around for as long as I know.

I can also assure you I know that they will still be around because I was part of this project.

Maybe they'll come out with an iPad friendly site where we can "flick" through the catalog.

I would love to see an iPad version of the brochure. Haven't seen any lines with that yet and am surprised. I usually narrow it down to two cruises, then like to show DH the brochure, but a version here on my iPad would be perfect.

Certainly not a popular response in this forum, but I could care less about the volumes and volumes of flyers, brochures and expensively produced catalogs that arrive in my mailbox. While I certainly glance quickly at them, they pretty much go straight to recycle because I view them all as advertising. If they arrive at the precise time I'm planning a cruise then I do give them more attention, but I do all my planning on the internet where I think there is far more detailed info.

That said, I certainly understand their value to those who either don't have internet or have difficulty navigating through it. Still, there is so much more info online than in a brochure which, truthfully, just swims before my eyes.

Everytime there is the slightest change to what we have grown accustomed to this board lights up in shock and fear. I was often part of that. But no more. I recognize that change happens, everything evolves and in time all of us adjust to those changes.

So many more things to be upset about like Netflix increasing their fees by 60%. Now that's something that really ruffles my feathers!!!:eek:

Archived