How much do I tip the porter at the pier?

aeonix01

It is funny so many people tip longshoremen for pushing their luggage a few yards on a cart, but do not tip the people on the ship who do far more work sorting the luggage and delivering it to the staterooms (and earn minuscule salaries compared to the longshoremen).

wrong

Because they are highly coveted jobs where you generally need connections to land them.

WRONG

Those servings as "porters" at U.S. ports are union longshoremen earning upper middle class salaries.

WRONG!!!

They are hourly workers.

Not all ports have a sign.

Do what you want, I will too.

Semantics. By "fully salaried" I am referencing that they are being paid well by their employer and their employer is not paying a reduced wage expected to be supplemented by tips. The newbies at Port of Miami take in $40 an hour. Some veteran longshoremen take in near $100 an hour if the shift constitutes overtime.

What port(s) do not have signs saying they do not need to be tipped ( or similar language)?

Please enlighten everyone and tell what is right.

No problem. I've explained this in past threads, but certain posters always think they know better. :rolleyes:

My brother in law works at the Port of Miami. His current salary is somewhere in the ballpark of 40k/yr, maybe even a little less. He also works as a porter. The porter shifts are extra duty shifts they pick up in order to make extra pocket cash (tips). That's right. They go in on their off time, mostly on weekends, to make extra cash.

A certain someone continues to spread crap, saying these pople are making $40/hr to $100/hr. WHAT??!! That is so far from the truth it's almost comical. If my BIL was making that kind of money, he would have gotten rid of his early 90s Ford Ranger a long time ago.

Like in many cases on these boards, some people are so stubborn, personal experience and family employment means nothing.

It is funny so many people tip longshoremen for pushing their luggage a few yards on a cart, but do not tip the people on the ship who do far more work sorting the luggage and delivering it to the staterooms (and earn minuscule salaries compared to the longshoremen).

If I am in the stateroom when our luggage arrives (and I usually am), I always tip the person who delivers it. Do you?

No problem. I've explained this in past threads, but certain posters always think they know better. :rolleyes:

My brother in law works at the Port of Miami. His current salary is somewhere in the ballpark of 40k/yr, maybe even a little less. He also works as a porter. The porter shifts are extra duty shifts they pick up in order to make extra pocket cash (tips). That's right. They go in on their off time, mostly on weekends, to make extra cash.

A certain someone continues to spread crap, saying these pople are making $40/hr to $100/hr. WHAT??!! That is so far from the truth it's almost comical. If my BIL was making that kind of money, he would have gotten rid of his early 90s Ford Ranger a long time ago.

Like in many cases on these boards, some people are so stubborn, personal experience and family employment means nothing.

Thanks for the info! I really wasn't trying to be a smart alec; I honestly wanted your opinion. I've read so many so far, so why not another. ;) It's good to know the actual truth, too. Thanks, again!

By the way, to anyone interested in knowing, standard tipping for bellhops/baggage porters in the USA is $1 per bag no matter the size or weight. If you go beyond, good for you (and the porters, too). It's not necessary, but I'm sure very appreciated. I personally only tip $1 per bag. With rolling luggage nowadays, the work has gotten a little easier at least. :) I'd really prefer to toss my suitcase on the cart myself to save a buck. After all, I just spent a crap ton of money just to step foot on the ship and I'm not done spending yet (have to tip on board and buy lots and lots of drinks of the day, too)! :eek: ;)

Usually $5 for two bags (short cruises), because I would be miserable on a cruise without my luggage. Like kymbakitty's husband, I consider it insurance.

Our family is LARGE! (8 to 11 per cruise) and usually have around 10-12 bags to check with the porter in addition to our carry-ons. We have gotten into the habit of tipping the porter a $100 bill. The look on their face and the response "Sir - your bags will be in your room before YOU are!" ave proven to be true thus far.

I too would be MISERABLE without my luggage! And consider it "insurance" as well! And you can't convince me that the porters and other baggage handlers do NOT have some means to take "extra" care with some bags over others!

We have no issues with tipping porters, regardless of whether they are union, non-union, salaried, or hourly. Doesn't matter to my DH because it's a customary thing to do. He tips $5 for our 2 suitcases at the port. But he also considers the amount of work involved. For example, he tips $15 for those same 2 suitcases to the curbside check-in porters at HNL or any airport with agricultural inspection because those porters actually take our luggage, tag it, make sure we've got our boarding passes and luggage claim checks, wheel the suitcases to and through the agricultural inspection, and then deliver them to the TSA for inspection. That's a heck of a lot more effort than a longshoreman hauling a suitcase a short distance and putting it on a cart. At airports without the agricultural inspection, he tips $10 for the 2 suitcases.

We are not wealthy by any means, but we know the value of good service. We are fairly well traveled, especially my DH who traveled extensively for business, so some of those travel customs are basically automatic behavior for him. He always makes sure to have plenty of $1s and $5s with a couple of $10s in his pocket on travel days. (BTW, a hint I learned from him: Keep your tip money separate from your money clip, money belt, or wallet. Have it in a pocket ready to distribute without having to access all your cash and other valuables.)

Here's my however: I do not like feeling like my luggage is being held ransom or used to "extort" (extreme word, I know, but there's not a kinder one that fits) tip money from us. Most of the time the pier porters are friendly and efficient. We are always friendly and polite in return. Our feeling is that we are no better and no worse than anyone else. We believe in treating everyone fairly (although we're not perfect at it, of course). But once or twice we've gotten the "You should make sure to give me incentive to make sure your suitcases make in onboard..." speech. To be blunt, it ticks me off and makes me want to say, "%$&*" (which I don't do in public--but I do think it).

Our family is LARGE! (8 to 11 per cruise) and usually have around 10-12 bags to check with the porter in addition to our carry-ons. We have gotten into the habit of tipping the porter a $100 bill. The look on their face and the response "Sir - your bags will be in your room before YOU are!" ave proven to be true thus far.

I too would be MISERABLE without my luggage! And consider it "insurance" as well! And you can't convince me that the porters and other baggage handlers do NOT have some means to take "extra" care with some bags over others!

That's great and certainly true that anyone would be miserable without their luggage, but how exactly does the curbside porter purport to be able to get your luggage to "your room before YOU are" there? He takes it from you and loads it onto a cart that is then taken by someone else to the x-ray and loading process, where it is then loaded onto the ship and delivered by cruise stewards/crew. Just curious because I don't see any way that the curbside porters can control that aspect of luggage delivery.

beachchick

Edited by beachchick

Thanks for the info! I really wasn't trying to be a smart alec; I honestly wanted your opinion. I've read so many so far, so why not another. ;) It's good to know the actual truth, too. Thanks, again!

By the way, to anyone interested in knowing, standard tipping for bellhops/baggage porters in the USA is $1 per bag no matter the size or weight. If you go beyond, good for you (and the porters, too). It's not necessary, but I'm sure very appreciated. I personally only tip $1 per bag. With rolling luggage nowadays, the work has gotten a little easier at least. :) I'd really prefer to toss my suitcase on the cart myself to save a buck. After all, I just spent a crap ton of money just to step foot on the ship and I'm not done spending yet (have to tip on board and buy lots and lots of drinks of the day, too)! :eek: ;)

That' "standard tip" is from 25 years ago when gas was $.70/gallon and a pound of chicken could be had for $.29. These days $2 per bag is the standard, $5 for really large or heavy bags.

I don't care what they make or that they are union. We went on a cruise where a couple caused a stink, said it was part of their jobs, rude and vulgar. It was no suprise on the second day we ran into them wearing all carnival gear complaining of "carnival" losing their luggage, not realizing the porters are not employed by carnival. I too consider it insurance:)

• 2 weeks later...

On our first cruise out of Port Canaveral we tipped a dollar a bag (8 bags) when dropping them off. When leaving we tipped 2 bucks a bag as he took the bags through customs and out to the car. While we were loading the bags into the car he told me I actually OVER tipped him!

Maybe it was the golden dollar coins I gave him as he proudly said he'd be giving the coins to his grandkids.

That being said, I will continue giving a buck a bag at drop off and 2 bucks for taking them out to the parking lot.

BTW, because these dollar coins (and half dollar coins too) are not in general circulation, the folks that receive them tend to remember who they got them from.

I am good for $2 per bag rounded to the nearest $5. In FFl where they handle the bags for about 3 feet I might be a little less generous but in San Pedro where they are extremely friendly can take the luggage much further (on their cart) I tend to be a bit more generous.

As an Australian, tipping is so foreign to us. We would tip at Bars and Restaurants, and taxis if they were nice, but usually no more than a rounding up to the nearest dollar, or say $5-10 on a Restaurant bill of around $100 or so, but only if the service was good and the food also.

When we travel to the USA we tip a lot, and my, while it might only be a couple of dollars here and there, over the period of a month or so, it really adds up.

Guess I am going to have to do my research. Someone asked about Mediterranean cruises - is tipping customary there to?

Before I joined CC I had never considered tipping the porters, believing as some here do that they get paid a decent salary for the job they are doing, being unionized and all. I never tipped once for all the cruises I have taken. I guess I must consider myself incredibly fortunate that my luggage was delivered every time at the beginning of every cruise, on time and fully intact. Based on some of the comments here, I must be the luckiest guy in the world!

Now that I'm enlightened, I'll start tipping them - as well as my postman, my garbage collector, my street sweeper, my water meter reader, my grocery clerk, my mechanic, my dentist, my surgeon, the guy who takes my toll on the interstate, the cop who directs me past an accident, all the highway maintenance workers I pass, etc., all so I won't get sabotaged by ungrateful workers who are revengeful for having to provide me with a service they are getting paid to provide.

Why stop with just the porters?

Edited by boogs

Now that I'm enlightened, I'll start tipping them - as well as my postman, my garbage collector, my street sweeper, my water meter reader, my grocery clerk, my mechanic, my dentist, my surgeon, the guy who takes my toll on the interstate, the cop who directs me past an accident, all the highway maintenance workers I pass, etc., all so I won't get sabotaged by ungrateful workers who are revengeful for having to provide me with a service they are getting paid to provide.

Why stop with just the porters?

Whenever my family takes a flight somewhere, my son, age 5, insists on giving a penny to the pilot. I must assume that this is the reason why our captains have never deliberately crashed our planes, or even purposely flown us to the wrong airport. :)

• 4 years later...
While i always tip $1-$2 per bag to porters/bellhops, I'm curious to find out how it works if you're smuggling or even not smuggling. If you tip the porters well enough and give them a wink, do they personally run your luggage through the X-ray machine or have it bypassed altogether? Are they even the ones to check the baggage? Is baggage 'examined' before it goes on the ship, while it's being loaded, or just before it's sent to the stateroom? I've never known how the loading of luggage works, so any help would be appreciated. Thanks! :)

P.S. To the OP, I promise I'm not trying to steal your thread! :D I thought this would be a good place to post my question rather than starting another thread. Thanks!

On one our last cruises, my wife had put a pair of needle-nose pliers in one of our bags for a needed purpose that I can't recall. Our luggage was pulled and we were asked to dispose of the pliers. Understandable. They were very nice about it.

Well, I'm surprised it took 12 hours for someone to lecture us all on how much they think a porter makes (who are not the top-end longshormen). But God forbid someone have a decent salary. :rolleyes:

These guys are unionized and are making more than most cruisers before any tips roll in.

These guys are unionized and are making more than most cruisers before any tips roll in.

These are indeed union jobs. If one knows how the longshoreman's union and the stevedore's union operate in some ports one will realize the above is hogwash. I know for a fact that this does not apply in Port Canaveral or Port Everglades because I have asked.

In many ports, the porter's jobs are sold to the union member. He must pay the business manager of his local for the job. Thus, he is totally dependent on tips. Yes, this is a holdover from days past, but it still is the way in some ports.

Secondly, I would never think of not tipping the porter. This is not easy work and they make our life easier by speeding us through the baggage check in and the pickup and customs operations afterward. I usually tip $2-3 per bag, depending on how friendly and helpful the porter is.