How much do I tip the porter at the pier?

aeonix01

How much do I tip the porter (I'm sure this was asked 800 times, and I'm not sure if there is a search feature on this site or how to use it if there is one.)?

I tip a dollar per bag. :)

Generally, one dollar per bag is appropriate. If you pack like my wife, two dollars. ;)

Same here. But the look on the porter's face when he lifts my wife's bag is priceless!

For us, I usually give $5 for 3 bags.

I asked my husband what he usually tips the porter with our cruise luggage and he said between $10 and $20. He said it depends on how far they come to get you or take you to your cab/car. We usually cruise for 14+ days so we have twice the luggage than you would for a one week cruise. He said he would never give them less than $10, as this is one transaction he'd prefer to add a little insurance on--ha!

The four of us, about 11 bags, tip $20.

Now for the funny answer:

Tip about $5 a Bottle of Booze or Rum Runner !

No We do NOT smuggle

:rolleyes:

While i always tip $1-$2 per bag to porters/bellhops, I'm curious to find out how it works if you're smuggling or even not smuggling. If you tip the porters well enough and give them a wink, do they personally run your luggage through the X-ray machine or have it bypassed altogether? Are they even the ones to check the baggage? Is baggage 'examined' before it goes on the ship, while it's being loaded, or just before it's sent to the stateroom? I've never known how the loading of luggage works, so any help would be appreciated. Thanks! :)

P.S. To the OP, I promise I'm not trying to steal your thread! :D I thought this would be a good place to post my question rather than starting another thread. Thanks!

I always give the porter $20. That ensures me(in my mind ) that my luggage will be treated correctly onto the ship. I was in the restaraunt business for 15 years before I got a real job and I always took extra good care of the bigger tippers. Human nature at its best. I always try to give whomever is helping me a big tip at the start. That way they remember you better.

While i always tip $1-$2 per bag to porters/bellhops, I'm curious to find out how it works if you're smuggling or even not smuggling. If you tip the porters well enough and give them a wink, do they personally run your luggage through the X-ray machine or have it bypassed altogether? Are they even the ones to check the baggage? Is baggage 'examined' before it goes on the ship, while it's being loaded, or just before it's sent to the stateroom? I've never known how the loading of luggage works, so any help would be appreciated. Thanks! :)

P.S. To the OP, I promise I'm not trying to steal your thread! :D I thought this would be a good place to post my question rather than starting another thread. Thanks!

They pick up your bags and put them on a luggage cart a few feet away!!!

Kathy

I always give the porter $20. I always try to give whomever is helping me a big tip at the start. That way they remember you better.

So... the porter is going to remember you when you come back for your next cruise???

Well, I'm surprised it took 12 hours for someone to lecture us all on how much they think a porter makes (who are not the top-end longshormen). But God forbid someone have a decent salary. :rolleyes:

No kidding. I'm sure the guys driving the forklifts are making more hourly than the guys standing around loading bags onto carts and neither one is approaching $75,000.

FWIW, we usually tip $1/bag. We had 9 bags (family of 6), easier just to tip $10. :)

Edited by rd757
typo