On the topic of money

Enoonmai

I've never had a problem paying in US cash anywhere in the Caribbean--and most places give the change back in US funds as well--same thing with going to Niagara Falls, Canada--they have two registers, one for USD, one for CD.

We have always used cash. We take just enough needed (just in case anything bad was to happen) for what we are doing in port, including gifts.

Take a lot of small bills for negotiating and also tipping.

I've read a lot of horror stories on here about people using their cc and getting home to find out that more was charged (adding a couple 0's to the bill after they left) or their cc number was taken down and used other places as well. So, people suggest only using a cc for a large purchase at a big, reputable place only.

Just a note (since you are going Western) that Mexico passed a new law this past April that you cannot purchase anything over $100 in US dollars for US cash. You will either have to go to an ATM and get Pesos or use a CC. So if you are planning on buying expensive jewelry, artwork or anything else (even if you go to a great restaurant with a group of friends and you pick up the tab), if it's over $100 you will need Pesos or CC.

* Side note: You can make multiple purchases totally OVER $100 just not on a single purchase.

I've been on some islands where they would not accept larger bills (maybe 20's and up) that were torn. They said their banks will not take these and it becomes a real problem for them to use bills in bad shape, so make sure you bring along some "fresh" cash.

Other than that we've never needed local currency. Most tourist places have items marked in dollars as well as local currency. Occasionally, as posted above, you'll receive change in local currency so having small bills to give excact change is belpful.

I felt comfortable using my debit card at places like Hard Rock but I used cash otherwise.

One of the smartest things I did was take two wallets with cash. I kept one that was rather low on cash so when the heckling started I didn't have much to show. We paid about $5 for the picture with the monkey with our own camera. Our poor friends paid $70!!!!!

I've been on some islands where they would not accept larger bills (maybe 20's and up) that were torn. They said their banks will not take these and it becomes a real problem for them to use bills in bad shape, so make sure you bring along some "fresh" cash.

i also had that problem of not accepting smaller bills that were torn...so GOOD idea about mentioning the 'fresh' cash...i totally forgot about that til you mentioned it here!

Archived