Tipping- Automated or Personal

Bay State

Being an old timer, I go back to the days when tips were given personally on the last day of the cruise. Most of the cruise lines now have an automated system that adds tips to the bill. Since I don't care for this, I request to have the automated tips removed from my bill and handle tips in cash directly to those staff who have provided service to me. We always eat in MDR and have same wait staff each night. Recognizing how hard the room stewards and wait staff work, I am happy to give them a tip above the recommended standard. Since the automated system seems to be the way of the future, I am interested in whether I am the only old **** who still tips in cash. Has anyone received feedback from crew as to their preference?

I love automated tipping. I always felt awkward stuffing and handing out envelopes and seeing the staff waiting to be given them.

For some reason, and this is only my feelings, not my intellect talking, it just seemed too master & servant to suit me. I like the less personal approach, since I know the tips are pooled anyway.

Two parts to this in my opinion. First, you cannot find all of the staff that are part of the tip pool, i.e. laundry staff, kitchen workers etc. Second, if you pay in cash, they are required to turn it in to the tip pool anyway. Why make it harder for them. Just pay the automatic fee.:o

I understand that when the auto-tips are removed, sometimes the cabin-stewards/waiters are asked why. That would put them in an difficult position.

I leave the auto tips in place, and then usually add a personal tip on top of that.

I understand that when the auto-tips are removed, sometimes the cabin-stewards/waiters are asked why. That would put them in an difficult position.

I leave the auto tips in place, and then usually add a personal tip on top of that.

This is the kind of idea I hoped to get. I would not want to put them on the spot. I assumed that if they got tips, they can keep them. Your idea of extra on top is good and is what we'll do going forward.

#1 if you remove the tips, all those who are serving you know you did this. Some will even ask why you removed the tips.

So, lets say you booked on Carnival .. $1 a day goes to the buffet workers.. are you going to tip those in the buffet who clear your dishes?? The way you are doing it I bet you are stiffing a lot of the help.

Carnival I know they print up a list of who removes tips. The only reason I can think of is because you want to tip less than the recommended amount, or you would leave the automated in place and just tip extra if that were your aim.

Two parts to this in my opinion. First, you cannot find all of the staff that are part of the tip pool, i.e. laundry staff, kitchen workers etc. Second, if you pay in cash, they are required to turn it in to the tip pool anyway. Why make it harder for them. Just pay the automatic fee.:o

I didn't realize they still had to turn the cash tips in to the tip pool. :mad:

I removed the automatic tip from one group one time because I felt I consistently got subpar service from 99% of the people in that group. I generously tipped the 1% of those people that were doing their job. I told the front desk why when I removed the tip and on the questionnaire at the end of the cruise I stated that I had done this and why. Hope the people I tipped weren't forced to share it with the others.

I typically leave the automated tip as is and tip extraordinary workers during the cruise, not at the end. Example: the server that serves my nightly pre-dinner drink as soon as I sit down, welcomes me by name to the bar and offers appetizers gets tipped each night just as I would tip someone on shore.

I think it depends on the cruise line

we sail on a line with open dining (different staff each meal) so the auto tip method works well for that option

we tip above the base amount to our cabin crew and if we eat at the same section numerous nights we will give extra to the wait staff

Those ships with traditional dining where you have the same staff every night do better with the envelope method

Of course there are always some that will remove the tips altogether ..that is a different story

You have to do what suits you best

We have never had a problem with service with the auto tip method

I think it depends on the cruise line

we sail on a line with open dining (different staff each meal) so the auto tip method works well for that option

we tip above the base amount to our cabin crew and if we eat at the same section numerous nights we will give extra to the wait staff

Those ships with traditional dining where you have the same staff every night do better with the envelope method

Of course there are always some that will remove the tips altogether ..that is a different story

You have to do what suits you best

We have never had a problem with service with the auto tip method

Even with "traditional" dining virtually every major US-based large ship cruise line, and even some European-based lines like Costa, MSC and Cunard, has done away with the last night envelope nonsense. The only holdouts are Royal Caribbean and Disney.

Being an old timer, I go back to the days when tips were given personally on the last day of the cruise. Most of the cruise lines now have an automated system that adds tips to the bill. Since I don't care for this, I request to have the automated tips removed from my bill and handle tips in cash directly to those staff who have provided service to me. We always eat in MDR and have same wait staff each night. Recognizing how hard the room stewards and wait staff work, I am happy to give them a tip above the recommended standard. Since the automated system seems to be the way of the future, I am interested in whether I am the only old **** who still tips in cash. Has anyone received feedback from crew as to their preference?

Back in the 'good old days' so many cruisers completely stiffed the crew that is probably one of the reasons automatic tipping/hotel service charge was instituted. For years, we watched people slip out of the dining room last night to avoid tipping their steward. They would drink the whole cruise in a particular lounge and last night had this huge desire to try out a different bar...... Yah, so they could avoid tipping the bar staff.

I love there is automatic tipping now and just wish they made it mandatory. Not all cruise lines to that.

There is absolutely nothing to stop anyone from tipping over and above to whoever they think really made their cruise special.

Automatic tipping is the way of the present, let alone the future and it isn't going anywhere.

Crew prefers being tipped by whatever method gets the well earned and deserved 'thank you' in their pockets. ;)

Back in the 'good old days' so many cruisers completely stiffed the crew that is probably one of the reasons automatic tipping/hotel service charge was instituted. For years, we watched people slip out of the dining room last night to avoid tipping their steward. They would drink the whole cruise in a particular lounge and last night had this huge desire to try out a different bar...... Yah, so they could avoid tipping the bar staff.

I love there is automatic tipping now and just wish they made it mandatory. Not all cruise lines to that.

There is absolutely nothing to stop anyone from tipping over and above to whoever they think really made their cruise special.

Automatic tipping is the way of the present, let alone the future and it isn't going anywhere.

Crew prefers being tipped by whatever method gets the well earned and deserved 'thank you' in their pockets. ;)

I agree that the automated tipping reduces the potential to stiff the crew. I have also seen others go to some lengths to avoid tipping. As I have never used the anytime dining or specialty restaurants, I have wanted to be sure that the servers that I deal with are acknowledged for their hard work. I have never had a bad experience and am happy to go beyond the recommended levels. I assume that bar staff share in the tips that are added to the drink bill. My biggest concern is that the people who work so hard to get the tips are actually getting them on scale with their efforts. If I can be confident that what I am paying to the large corporation under the heading of tips is actually going to the right people, I have no objection to the automated process. As you say, I can supplement the individuals that I feel have done more. As an aside, I encourage all cruisers to contribute to the seafarers missions in the ports. They offer many valuable services to the crew and often operate on a shoestring.

Are you under impression, you tip goes to the person who gets cash from you? It doesn't matter how you tip - they pool the tips, they have to. I hope they can keep what some people tip additional.

So for them it doesn't matter if I put the tips on my account, or give them cash - for me it's different. I need credit card points, so I charge everything I can.

,,,, Has anyone received feedback from crew as to their preference?
Yes. When the cruise lines introduced the option of automatic tipping a number of years ago, we asked our stateroom attendants and wait staff on a few cruises which they preferred.

All, without exception, chose automatic tipping.

The money is deposited directly into their personal accounts so they have no worries about cash that may be lost or stolen. Also, they do not need to waste any of their time going to a bank to deposit the money.

I've been cruising for a long time. :o I prefer the automated tipping (in fact it should probably be called a "service charge") to the old days of hunting down people on the last evening, having to have the right amounts of tip dollars, etc.

I do tip extra if I feel the service was great. Also, something that the staff and crew on every line appreciate is when you take the time to fill out the survey or a card naming them by name and recognizing their efforts. I understand such evaluations weigh heavily in terms of promotions and so forth. And they cost nothing other than a few minutes of your time.

I, too, remember the days of cash tips and much prefer the autotip. It eliminates the hassle of making sure I have enough cash for the last night. This is particularly true as we take longer cruises.

I didn't realize they still had to turn the cash tips in to the tip pool. :mad:

I removed the automatic tip from one group one time because I felt I consistently got subpar service from 99% of the people in that group. I generously tipped the 1% of those people that were doing their job. I told the front desk why when I removed the tip and on the questionnaire at the end of the cruise I stated that I had done this and why. Hope the people I tipped weren't forced to share it with the others.

I typically leave the automated tip as is and tip extraordinary workers during the cruise, not at the end. Example: the server that serves my nightly pre-dinner drink as soon as I sit down, welcomes me by name to the bar and offers appetizers gets tipped each night just as I would tip someone on shore.

We too prefer the auto-tips. A lot less bother on the last day of the cruise. We just concern ourselves with the envelope for the kids' club counselors and for whomever we want to give extra. We also will consider the "made a difference" cards -- just ask the purser or passenger services desk if you don't see a pile there on the counter.

And if you are feeling the service you're receiving is "subpar," why not try to rectify the situation as soon as possible, rather than using it as an excuse to remove the tips.

Don't be too fooled, the tip is actualy a good part of the wages to the crew, and is really just a part of your cruise fare! Of course the travel agent gets no cut of the tips, taxes or sucharges.

We always use the automated tip system if available as it is a lot easier than chasing around trying to find the right person to tip. If someone does a bang-up job then they get an extra envelope.

I much prefer they automated tipping.

Archived