Passport

steilkurve

What's recommended, leave it on the ship when debarking at a port of call or bring it with you? Would rather leave it behind to avoid loosing it or getting stolen but are they required in certain ports or to board the ship back? Have always left them on the ship but will be cruising Europe for the first time and wondering... Thanks.

---

- Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Very few ports actually require you to have them with you, particularly in the Med. Your shipboard daily program and/or port lecturer will tell you if it is required in any particular port. I've read a few times this year that folks have been advised to have their passports in Croatia, if true, this is something new as of this year.

You should also be aware that on some Med cruises the ship will hold your passports. This is to expedite clearance in some countries, particularly when going from Turkey to Greece.

Other countries where you are required to have your passport include Israel and Egypt, visited on some Med cruises.

What's recommended, leave it on the ship when debarking at a port of call or bring it with you? Would rather leave it behind to avoid loosing it or getting stolen but are they required in certain ports or to board the ship back? Have always left them on the ship but will be cruising Europe for the first time and wondering... Thanks.

If you think you'll be doing any major shopping, you'll need at least a copy of your passport with you so the store will be able to fill out the VAT refund forms. I don't believe we've ever had a store in Italy refuse to accept a copy of our passports for this purpose.

---

Many ships hold your passports while some do not.

Regardless, we would always eave our passport on the ship. I believe there is a far greater chance of having the passport stolen or lost than any benefits from having it with us. Take a copy. It facilitates getting a new one.

The only exception to what I have said is if we were in a place that required us to take them with us off the ship and if that was the case the cruise line would indeed notify all passengers in their daily program.

Keith

Make a photocopy of the inside info pages and have it laminated. Carry that in your wallet and leave the original Passport on the ship in your Stateroom safe, if the Pursers Office do not already retain it on boarding .

With most ports in Europe you are calling at Countries which are members of the Shengen Agreement . So once you enter Europe by air thats it until you leave Europe. Movements between Shengen agreement countries are no border controls. Turkey most cruise ships passengers on day visits or overnight stays up to 72 hours, no Visa required .

Often debated here, those who think you might have an "accident" or miss the ship believe you can't leave without it.

Those like me who don't expect lightening to strike nor miss the boat and think theft is a larger problem, always leave on the ship or hotel. Haven't had an issue yet :D

For many cruises the boat keeps your passport so not even a option to discuss.

Enjoy

---

---

The only time we were ever asked for our passport was at an internet cafe in Taormina Apparently to prevent terrorists from using the Internet!!!!! Really!!!

They settled for our ship's ID card

A passport is not required to travel between most European countries now, due to the Schengen Agreement.

Do you get a Driver's License, then leave it at home when you go out to drive your car.

Your Passport is your LEGAL IDENTIFICATION when you are in a foreign country, not your ship card, not your driver's license. Why do you think you are required to get one, if you aren't going to have it on your person when you are in a foreign country? Heaven forbid something should happen, but the police in a foreign country won't be interested in seeing your ship sail & sign card or even your driver's license or even a copy of your passport.

Mine is in my purse along with my money and tickets. I feel it is safer with me than back on the ship. JMHO.

• 10 months later...

On our many previous cruises, we have never taken our passports ashore, BUT, we have just returned from a Solstice cruise and it was stressed that you needed to take your photo id off the ship with you. We ignored it and when we tried to reboard at Venice, we were held by the port security. People were finding that not even a copy of your passport was any good. We had to complete a form that was taken onboard to be verified by the ship, once it was returned, we were allowed through. In all it added 45 minutes to our boarding process.

On our many previous cruises, we have never taken our passports ashore, BUT, we have just returned from a Solstice cruise and it was stressed that you needed to take your photo id off the ship with you. We ignored it and when we tried to reboard at Venice, we were held by the port security. People were finding that not even a copy of your passport was any good. We had to complete a form that was taken onboard to be verified by the ship, once it was returned, we were allowed through. In all it added 45 minutes to our boarding process.

Wouldn't any photo ID have worked? Most US driving licenses have photos now - I've been using mine as ID in Europe for years and haven't had a problem. (Obviously I haven't tried to use it at passport control, but everywhere else.)

You say photo ID.

Would a drivers license have taken care of this item?

Keith

Just tuning in here. You can see that the majority (all but one) of the posters recommend leaving the passports on board. Couldn't agree with this more. We now do take driver's licenses since Celebrity says you should, but we have yet to be asked to show them and I really hate taking anything more than the bare necessities with me. This allows me to relax and enjoy the ports rather than worry about my 'stuff'.

In the end we do what we are told by the cruise line.

While we do not take the passports into port there are a few occasions when that is required and we do that. In the past few years that included Israel, one port in Japan and a couple of other ports. One time we had that requirement in Barcelona but that was several years ago.

If jus a photo ID is required we would just take a drivers license.

And in the vast majority of cases where no ID is required we don't take one.

Keith

Just posting to agree with last post. We were in Croatia two months ago. The ship usually holds our passport but they were given to us when we disembarked in Montenegro. Before leaving the port area, everyone had to show their passports.

Archived