New Venice Surcharge

welshcorgie

We are writing to notify you of a new accommodation tax imposed by the Municipality of Venice starting from the 24th of August. The tax applies to all visitors who stay in any hotel or different type of accommodation within the territory of Venice (except for the exemptions listed below) and are charged on a per person per night basis.

The tax is only applicable for the first 5 nights of your stay and varies depending on the type of property, time of the year and the area of Venice you are visiting (Mainland, small island, big island). Full details of the fees and applicable reductions are below. Please note the fee will be collected in cash by the hotel at either check in or check out.

Hotels and Motels

1 euro per star rating per person per night (max 5 euro per person in a 5* hotel),

5* hotels = 5 euro

4* hotels = 4 euro

3* hotels = 3 euro

2* hotels = 2 euro

1* hotels = 1 euro

Resorts Hotels and Residence Hotels:

2 stars = 1 euro

3 stars = 2 euro

4 stars = 3 euro

Historical residence and historical Hotels:

4 euro

Rented Rooms, Holiday Homes, Holiday Apartments

1st category = 2.50 euro

2nd category = 2.00 euro

3rd category (and without rating) = 1.50 euro

B&B:

3 euro

Farm Inns, Religious houses/rooms, Study center:

2 euro

Open Air Accommodations:

Touristic village:

2 stars = 0.50 euro

3 and 4 stars = 1 euro

Camping:

1 stars = 0.10 euro

2 stars = 0.20 euro

3 stars = 0.30 euro

4 stars = 0.40 euro

EXEMPTIONS:

- Resident of the city of Venice

- Children under the age of ten

- Guests sleeping in Youth Hostels or in accommodations owned by the City of Venice

- Patients undergoing rehabilitative therapies at health facilities in the city

- People who provide assistance to patients in hospital, max one each patient

- Tour couriers and tour bus drivers (One tour courier and one tour bus driver for at least 25 members)

- Members of the police forces and members of the fire brigade staying for service purposes

- Civil protection Volunteers in the case of special events or calamities

REDUCTIONS:

- 30% discount for accommodations located in Venice small islands (e.g. Lido, Murano, Burano). 5 * hotels have a reduction of 10%

- 40% discount for accommodation located in Venice mainland (e.g. Mestre, Carpanedo, Marghera, Favaro Veneto, Mapalto, Dese, Tessera). ALL OTHER CITIES LOCATED OUTSIDE THE ISLAND WILL NOT BE SUBJECT TO PAY THE CITY TAX

- 50% reduction in low season which includes:

1. for 2011: from 1 November to 4 December and 12 to 22 December;

2. for 2012: from 9 January to 3 February, 23 February to 31 March, 1 November to 2 December and 10 to 22 December.

- 50% Reduction for guests from 10 to 16 years old, included

- Tax will not be applicable from the 6th night of stay onwards

- The above reductions are cumulative

Thanks. I just reserved my room for October 2012 and it's supposed to include all taxes and fees. It was a pretty good rate. Hope they honor it.

Same thing is happening in Rome. This tax is on top of all quoted and confirmed rates as we were informed. (No avoiding the taxman:(.)

Angelika

It's best to check with the hotel or the booking company. Some will say all taxes included while others will say all taxes except that hotel tax.
A quote from yesterday's email from the hotel: "All rates are intended per room, per night including daily buffet breakfast (served daily from 7 to 10:30am in our typical Venetian open air courtyard), service and all taxes." Since I received this yesterday, I'm assuming they are aware of the new tax and that it's included.

And this is precisely while we'll be spending our money on American cruises, i.e., Alaska, Hawaii. I call this kind of taxation gouging tactics:rolleyes:

And you don't consider all those taxes Alaska tried to stick the cruise lines with gouging? And haven't you read a hotel bill in the US lately? The various taxes can add 10% or more to it.

EM

And you don't consider all those taxes Alaska tried to stick the cruise lines with gouging? And haven't you read a hotel bill in the US lately? The various taxes can add 10% or more to it.

EM

Yeh, and the port fees/taxes on an Alaska cruise are still amongst the highest in the world.

And this is precisely while we'll be spending our money on American cruises, i.e., Alaska, Hawaii. I call this kind of taxation gouging tactics:rolleyes:

Please tell me where you can go and not be taxed, even if hidden. Do you think that the cruises are tax free? Apart from a daily service charge, how about all the taxes and fees up front, and maybe a fuel surcharge comming also.

We hope you enjoy your (American cruises) which, I might add, must all stop at a foreign intervening port because of Passenger Vessels Services Act. That being said, we recently returned from a vacation in South Carolina where the taxes on hotels and restaurants were nearly 20%. Like many tourist places in the US, they have special state and local taxes on hotels, alocohol, restaurants, etc which are designed to put a larger burden on tourists. So, when you get to Alaska (where they have a special surcharge tax on all passengers) or Hawaii (where taxes are pretty high) you can say your thanks for not being in Venice :

Hank

Archived