Dropping luggage off at hotel in Barcelona

stunned

We will be arriving prior to check in, but the hotel management said we can check our luggage and then come back when room is ready. Question: With all the warnings of pickpocketers in Barcelona should be leave our passports in locked luggage at hotel or carry it with us until we can get in room?

Thanks.

Judy

Every European hotel I've left luggage with has stored it in a locked room. I've never had anything stolen. That said, I always assume Murphy was an optimist and that the universe is against me; therefore, I keep my passport with me in a secure pouch or a security belt under my shirt. I do not keep my passport or other VERY important items in room safes either. I do store them in the manager's safe, though.

I am not sure I understand the connection between pickpockets and the question of leaving a passport in your luggage? Pickpockets are found on the street not in your hotel! I also keep my passport in my neck wallet under clothing when I first arrive BUT I have always left it in my hotel room. I either put it in the safe or leave it in one of my "hiding places" amongst my things.

Leaving cash/jewelry out in plain sight is more of a temptation than a passport.(IMO)

There is no way you should ever leave your Passport in luggage that is not in your direct possession. In your situation you might want to simply lock your Passports and other valuables in the hotel safe (accessible via the front desk). This is actually much safer then leaving the stuff in a hotel room (or room safe).

Hank

When I was last in Barcelona I was aghast to find that when our safe locked itself, the hotel sent up a member of staff who pulled across a little "plaster" on the safe and unlocked it with a key!!!!!!!!!!.

This had obviously happened before but I was very unhappy that the safe could be unlocked with a universal key which probably anyone had access to

I have been in the unfortunate position of having my passport stolen :eek: (in Malaga from our hire vehicle which was parked about 20 meters away). Not only did I physically have my stomach drop to my knees it totally spoilt my holiday. Getting another passport to get home whilst in a foreign country is no mean feat. Plus when I got back to the UK I had 16 days to get new passports for our first ever cruise.

I will NEVER leave my passport anywhere other than on my person - I use both safety pins and carabinders to lock my hand bags. My passport is strapped to my body - literally - I am so paranoid about it!!. It's the last thing I would wish on anyone

Pickpockets are unlikely to be operating in the baggage room of a hotel.

If you would leave your passports in the baggage room of a hotel in any other city, I'd recommend you treat Barcelona the same. Personally, I would never leave my possports in one... I either want them on my, or locked in a hotel room safe.

Thanks for all the comments, I will take it with me.

I need to clarify that I didn't think pickpocketers would get to the luggage at the hotel, more that if I carried it on me they would get it off me, but I will use my security pouch. Thanks again.

I would place it in a safe-deposit box at the hotel. All reputable hotels have safe-deposit boxes behind the front desk. The hotel we stayed at, Hotel Monte Carlo did not allow us out of the building with the room key.

Thanks for all the comments, I will take it with me.

I need to clarify that I didn't think pickpocketers would get to the luggage at the hotel, more that if I carried it on me they would get it off me, but I will use my security pouch. Thanks again.

There is no way you should ever leave your Passport in luggage that is not in your direct possession. In your situation you might want to simply lock your Passports and other valuables in the hotel safe (accessible via the front desk). This is actually much safer then leaving the stuff in a hotel room (or room safe).

Hank

I totally agree. The hotel will have a "hotel safe" separate from those in your room and you should ask to have them secured there. Don't leave them in your luggage. If you have a pouch that is totally under your clothes (especially waist/pants) then they should be fine there.

Pockets and purses are open to pickpockets no matter how much you pay attention.

I would also recommend making two sets of copies of your passports and putting them in different locations, it is my understanding if one is stolen a copy of your passport would at least expedite getting a replacement one if necessary. I also plan to leave a copy with someone back in the states in case a copy needs to be faxed. JMHO

I would also recommend making two sets of copies of your passports and putting them in different locations, it is my understanding if one is stolen a copy of your passport would at least expedite getting a replacement one if necessary. I also plan to leave a copy with someone back in the states in case a copy needs to be faxed. JMHO

You can also scan your passport and send it to yourself via e-mail that you can access abroad.

We will be arriving prior to check in, but the hotel management said we can check our luggage and then come back when room is ready. Question: With all the warnings of pickpocketers in Barcelona should be leave our passports in locked luggage at hotel or carry it with us until we can get in room?

Thanks.

Judy

Our hotel also invited us to leave our bags at the hotel while we went sightseeing the morning of our arrival. However, we soon learned that the bags were to be left in a corner of the lobby, which I found concerning. Since the bags were within eyeshot of the front desk and we had no valuables to speak of we did leave them. We made sure we took our passports and cameras with us.

Our hotel also invited us to leave our bags at the hotel while we went sightseeing the morning of our arrival. However, we soon learned that the bags were to be left in a corner of the lobby, which I found concerning. Since the bags were within eyeshot of the front desk and we had no valuables to speak of we did leave them. We made sure we took our passports and cameras with us.

Hmmm, I simply would NOT be comfortable with this scenario. If your bags went missing, then what?? The hotel would not be be liable, because (technically) you had not yet checked in.

I plan to have passports, credit cards and cash on us at all times (prior to ship). Secure and hidden... not a problem.

...I didn't think pickpocketers would get to the luggage at the hotel, more that if I carried it on me they would get it off me, but I will use my security pouch.

I read a review on these boards from someone who said she was pickpocketed in the hotel lobby by someone in a business suit (she thinks that was him). They are quick, smart, look like anyone else, and they can disappear into the crowd.

However, having said that, we spent five amazing days in glorious Barcelona and did not have one single problem. Walk with purpose, be aware, do not put yourself in precarious situations (like taking the "underground", as it is called - sorry no offense and I'm sure many people have safely navigated it, but that's where a lot of pickpocketing occurs!) and you should be all right.

..............Walk with purpose, be aware, do not put yourself in precarious situations (like taking the "underground", as it is called - sorry no offense and I'm sure many people have safely navigated it, but that's where a lot of pickpocketing occurs!) and you should be all right.

I have to say - I used the metro in Barcelona and found it punctual, clean and always felt safe (unlike in Athens where I actually witnessed a pickpocketing of a local - not a tourist!!) and a most excellent way to navigate the city. I also used the tram and the buses

Pickpocketing can occur anywhere :eek: - even in my own country!! - as has been said you just need to have your wits about you where ever you are in the world!!

Several times in Europe we have left our bags with the hotel before checking in, and everytime they were just put behind the counter or in a corner of the lobby. Not trying that again. If they can't be locked up, I'm staying with them. Too easy for them to disappear.

I also agree with everyone who says your passport should be carried on you in a secure, hidden location, or be in a safe.

Thanks.

Judy

I would NOT leave my passports in locked luggage at the hotel. First, our Barcelona hotel did not have a locked room, they just put the luggage in a corner behind the front desk.

Get a money belt and put the passports there.

Archived