My Experience in CL with Kids

klove613

My current experience on Radiance is that there are no kids at all in the CL any time of day. There are none with access. Of course it's the last Alaska cruise. There are LOTs of nice Europeans. The new RD CL is wonderful and great fun with Juan Diego as concierge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We sail with our children and grandchildren and can see the "Other side" of thinking "what can we do with the children if we want to go to CL". But when we cruise by ourselves and want to avoid children and have a nice quiet drink, where, now can we go? I do not like this policy and we have never taken the children into any bar onboard either. They have their desinated areas and the adults should have theirs. Would kids like adults coming into the teen areas, etc. to ruin their alone time with other teens? I liked having at least a place or two to enjoy myself without the chatter and noise of boistrous children. Guess there will now be no place we can go. Seems a shame, when all the other spaces onboard accept children. Why then, must we give up the solarium and CL?

DH and I were thinking about an alternative approach to kids in the CL. During a brainstorming session we had driving along the Seward Highway to port, we have decided we will get all children started in a round of singing "99 bottles of beer on the wall" and then sneak out. LOL Won't their parents be so glad they brought them in for a very happy hour for some family time before dinner? Didn't we all love that song as kids and sing it to the very last verse? :D

Love it! ;)

Always fun for parents to bring their toddlers into biker bars too....yee haa!! :eek:

We sail with our children and grandchildren and can see the "Other side" of thinking "what can we do with the children if we want to go to CL". But when we cruise by ourselves and want to avoid children and have a nice quiet drink, where, now can we go? I do not like this policy and we have never taken the children into any bar onboard either. They have their desinated areas and the adults should have theirs. Would kids like adults coming into the teen areas, etc. to ruin their alone time with other teens? I liked having at least a place or two to enjoy myself without the chatter and noise of boistrous children. Guess there will now be no place we can go. Seems a shame, when all the other spaces onboard accept children. Why then, must we give up the solarium and CL?

Since the introduction of the Voyager class over a decade ago, RCI has been slowly moving towards a cruise line targeting families as their main demographic. Changes in the future will be targeting this group specifically. For those wanting a more "adult" experience, RCCL wants you to move to RCI's sister company Celebrity. We love the ships of RCI and their crew but feel that it's time to start looking at other cruise lines as the managemet of this company has lost sight of what customer service is all about. Sad.

Why a CL?

If everyone is so hell bent on having an Adult only venue-maybe they will create one. Actually-I think this is possiblly exactly what they will do because so many are asking for it. You may have to pay for a drink but heck-many will got the serenity they seek!!!

A CL is also for obtaining priveleges, like help scheduling speciality restaurant dining. It gives you access to someone that can correct a problem. You stated my point exactly, RCI should have, as they have for the last 20 plus years with great growth, needs to restore or effectively create an adults only venue. for suite guests and D+. I do not think the children will feel comfortable around some of the "adult" talk you hear in the lounges.

Also has anyone figured out that the cruisers with small chilkdren are also pushing this issue for a "free drink"

A CL is also for obtaining priveleges, like help scheduling speciality restaurant dining. It gives you access to someone that can correct a problem.

Why should this and happy hour even be in the same sentence???

I think it's time a concierge was just that-a concierge and not a happy hour bartender or bouncer.;)

Since the introduction of the Voyager class over a decade ago, RCI has been slowly moving towards a cruise line targeting families as their main demographic. Changes in the future will be targeting this group specifically. For those wanting a more "adult" experience, RCCL wants you to move to RCI's sister company Celebrity. We love the ships of RCI and their crew but feel that it's time to start looking at other cruise lines as the managemet of this company has lost sight of what customer service is all about. Sad.

Totally agree!!

A CL is also for obtaining priveleges, like help scheduling speciality restaurant dining. It gives you access to someone that can correct a problem. You stated my point exactly, RCI should have, as they have for the last 20 plus years with great growth, needs to restore or effectively create an adults only venue. for suite guests and D+. I do not think the children will feel comfortable around some of the "adult" talk you hear in the lounges.

Also has anyone figured out that the cruisers with small chilkdren are also pushing this issue for a "free drink"

One can have the Concierge's help in the morning as well as during happy hour.

I'm not in favor of the change. But to say that there's no place to go without kids on the ships is stretching it a bit, I think. I have seldom seen a child in Vintages, have never been bothered by one in the Schooner Bar or the Viking Crown Lounge, just to think of a few places. But the CL is a much smaller venue, therefore any noise will be noticeable. Having said that, I've been guilty of being a bit boisterous in there myself, so I'm not sure I should be casting any stones.

We'll see how it all works out...

I’ve rarely seen kids in other bars or lounges, but the you’ll have to pay for a drink there. You may have to decide which is really the most important, a free drink, or a quiet place to have drink.

Sorry – I don’t get it. Why is it so difficult or offensive to have a drink in a lounge when children are present?

M

One can have the Concierge's help in the morning as well as during happy hour.

I'm not in favor of the change. But to say that there's no place to go without kids on the ships is stretching it a bit, I think. I have seldom seen a child in Vintages, have never been bothered by one in the Schooner Bar or the Viking Crown Lounge, just to think of a few places. But the CL is a much smaller venue, therefore any noise will be noticeable. Having said that, I've been guilty of being a bit boisterous in there myself, so I'm not sure I should be casting any stones.

We'll see how it all works out...

Yeah, Jean, but you don't sail in "high kid season". I see lots of kids in the Schooner Bar, boisterous and otherwise. I see them in the specialty restaurants, I see them on elevators, leaving their dirty plates on the floor, I see them on the stairs, blocking them entirely. I see them at the Love & Marriage Show, I see them at Quest. I see them PERFORMING Quests. I see them in the "first three rows of the theatre unaccompanied by an adult".

Yeah, Jean, but you don't sail in "high kid season". I see lots of kids in the Schooner Bar, boisterous and otherwise. I see them in the specialty restaurants, I see them on elevators, leaving their dirty plates on the floor, I see them on the stairs, blocking them entirely. I see them at the Love & Marriage Show, I see them at Quest. I see them PERFORMING Quests. I see them in the "first three rows of the theatre unaccompanied by an adult".

Ditto.:)

Debde, I don't think you get it...... We have already PAID for it!

For a suite guest-you now are paying for a CL that allows children at all times.

If you are a D+ guest-prime example of loyalty perks that can change at anytime.

I think I do get it.:o Maybe!!;)

They surely don't HAVE to do anything. They can offer a product where you will choose to spend your money here or elsewhere. If children are an issue-I'm sure there are other cruise lines out there that children are not as high in numbers as one that has Shrek!!!;)

I could care less if children are permitted in the CL during cocktail hour - so long as they are supervised and well behaved. Frankly, I've encountered some adults in the CL who needed to be spanked and removed from the area.

Thanks, this made me laugh. There are a lot of adults out there that are worse than children!

I’ve rarely seen kids in other bars or lounges, but the you’ll have to pay for a drink there. You may have to decide which is really the most important, a free drink, or a quiet place to have drink.

Sorry – I don’t get it. Why is it so difficult or offensive to have a drink in a lounge when children are present?

M

Finding a seat is what will be more difficult. The CL is crowded enough most of the time, not all, but most during the cocktail hour time. Everyone accusing those of wanting "free" drinks do need to realize the reason this even came up is because the parents of said children also want "free" drinks. That cannot be used as an argument against those that want to keep it child free. That argument makes no sense when it's the same reason parents want their children there.

The problem with kids isn't the kids . . . it's the parents. I doubt anyone would seriously object to well-behaved children of any age who sat quietly and made pleasant conversation with their parents, etc. I wouldn't.

Unfortunately, too many parents believe it is the God-given right of their children to scream, run around, jump on furniture, play loud video games, and the like regardless of the environment. Rather than remove the children from the environment, they just sit there and watch while their kids annoy everyone around them.

And when the children misbehave in the CL, it's left to the Concierge to play "cop," which we all know isn't going to happen b/c he/she doesn't want to offend suite guests or the most loyal cruisers.

That's the problem. Unfortunately, it appears that we have to live with it. :(

We only have one cruise out of 9 booked in high Kid season as someone mentioned and that is on the Jewel for Thanksgiving. Our only concern is the space factor since the concierge lounge is quite small - so hopefully with us eating early, we can grab a quick drink and then comeback after dinner to have a nightcap and the little ones will be in the cabins, sleeping. We are setting our judgment aside til we experience any problems:)

Finding a seat is what will be more difficult. .

I cannot tell you how many times I have seen situations where children are taking up seats when an elderly person is leaning on a cane in a waiting room! Once, while waiting outside a court room for jury duty, a child was sprawled out on the only bench in the hall. The rest of us were left to lean up against the wall or sit on the floor. When my friend was having chemo treatments, I literally took a folding chair with me so she would have a place to sit.

Tucker in Texas (who is about to become Diamond+ to probably have the CL jerked away like it was when reaching Diamond)

I feel for you, seriously. I'm lucky and mostly do cruises with low child counts.

On our recent high volume kid cruises last month, parents in row 2 put their young mouthy kids in row one during the juggling show. It was annoying ti hear the obnoxious kids blurting out stuff. One even yelled, can I come up on stage?" the performer dealt with it well but I was bothered that the CD who saw them sitting there never attempted to enforce the rules. This was a perfect example of parents not being parents. No, make that parents being bad parents...that's what they were. I would hate to have to cruise during kid season all the time.

The family suite in the old CL is occupied by 3 adults this time. The CL has been lively and fun. The concierge announced the rules which included that children must be well behaved, but that we didn't have to worry about it this cruise.

I cannot tell you how many times I have seen situations where children are taking up seats when an elderly person is leaning on a cane in a waiting room! Once, while waiting outside a court room for jury duty, a child was sprawled out on the only bench in the hall. The rest of us were left to lean up against the wall or sit on the floor. When my friend was having chemo treatments, I literally took a folding chair with me so she would have a place to sit.

Tucker in Texas (who is about to become Diamond+ to probably have the CL jerked away like it was when reaching Diamond)

Hmmm. Out of curiosity, were there also fit adults taking up seats while that elderly person is leaning on a cane in the waiting room as well, or were they all occupied by childrem? Or is it just children who should be getting up for elders?

Funny that you thought that

As was it not the reason for dropping Diamond from the lounge overcrowding?

But now there is room for Children until somebody in a Suite the future complains of the overcrowding

Diamond Plus out Pinnical can stay.

It will not happen or will it ?

keep complaining to Miami as they are listening.

Lets face it it is our Adult club for three hours.

g

Just came off the Allure. I didn't have a suite but I was in the diamond lounge during cocktail hour (Dazzles). The children who came in were quickly asked to leave much to our delight. There were lots of rude pre-teens on our sailing so it was nice to get away from that for a little bit.

On my last cruise on the Liberty I went to the CL alone and with my roommate. I do not think that children should be banned from the

CL as long as they are well behaved. No one will feel comfortable if

there are kids running about and its really the parents that need to

monitor this.

I am all for the kids (I was one myself once) but the parents need

to monitor them.

Archived