Joanie's Alaskan Adventure 2011 has begun:)

IRL_Joanie

To everyone, let me first say thank you to all of you who followed along on our GREAT ADVENTURE!! I had fun and am looking towards the future and more fun, not quite as adventurous but fun anyway. I now know that I can handle the bad and make it great:)

And for those of you interested, here is the recipe for the Chocolate Purse (I've included photos with it to show how it looks, so the page might take a moment to load) http://joanjett2000.topcities.com/HAL/Recipes/Chocolate-Purse.html

Joanie

Joanie,

Thanks for taking us along for the "ride"! I was following your thread before we left on the Westerdam on the 17th, I had wondered how you weathered the storms.

We were orginally scheduled for Juneau (saw your ship there), Hubbard Glacier, Sitka, Ketchikan and Victoria. Because of the storms, the captain cancelled Hubbard Glacier and Sitka. The revised itinerary included Tracy Arm, Ketchikan, a day early (but a full day) and the Inside Passage. Victoria port hours were also extended to a full day. Even with the changes we had a great time, we met the nicest people on this sailing and I did not hear one person complain. Maybe after Saturday night and Sunday morning everyone was just thankful that we would stop rocking and rolling!

It sounds like your weather experience was worse than ours though! I think we got lucky!

Thanks for all your wonderful writings and the roller coaster ride you took us all on with you. And to thank you for the receipe ('s) for the chocolate purse and whatever else you may share with us.

On your next cruise may the seas be calm and the skies sunny.

Helen

Joanie, it was so nice meeting up with you in Juneau. We both enjoyed our short visit. We're still surprised that you could hear us calling your name as you docked. :) We had horrible cell service in Skagway, but I did get your message, thank you.

What a wild week, huh? How lucky are we to have experienced that? We loved it! I'm not saying I'd want to go through it again, per say, but you know what I mean. lol Glad you made it home safely. Take care.

Thanks Joanie for more interesting reports and the recipe of course.

I am confused by Kee's statement regarding Noro though. According to him there has not been ONE case of Noro since code orange was started???:confused:

I beg to differ as we had code red on most of our NA cruise and many passengers were under quarantine. When you have 7 days at sea and code red, it takes away some of the fun, especially in the PG. We had the normal code orange and in about 3 or 4 days were in Code Red for the rest of the 20 day cruise:confused:

Thanks Joanie for more interesting reports and the recipe of course.

I am confused by Kee's statement regarding Noro though. According to him there has not been ONE case of Noro since code orange was started???:confused:

I beg to differ as we had code red on most of our NA cruise and many passengers were under quarantine. When you have 7 days at sea and code red, it takes away some of the fun, especially in the PG. We had the normal code orange and in about 3 or 4 days were in Code Red for the rest of the 20 day cruise:confused:

We were also under a Code Red for 5 days on the Oosterdam Mexican Riviera in April of this year :eek: Maybe he gets his info from whoever answers the phone in Seattle :eek:

Joanie, it was so nice meeting up with you in Juneau. We both enjoyed our short visit. We're still surprised that you could hear us calling your name as you docked. :) We had horrible cell service in Skagway, but I did get your message, thank you.

What a wild week, huh? How lucky are we to have experienced that? We loved it! I'm not saying I'd want to go through it again, per say, but you know what I mean. lol Glad you made it home safely. Take care.

Sweety, it was awesome meeting up with you and your daughter!!! I have quite a number of photos of not only your ship in Glacier Bay but in other ports as well. ALSO have photos of the 2 of you on the dock waiting for me:)

It will be a couple of days before I get them to you, but I will! We also have video in Glacier bay:)

Man what a ride for sure. Loved it!!!! Even as I sit here typing my shoulders are feeling the rocking side to side of those waves:)

Joanie

Maybe he meant the ships he was on...

The best thing about returning to Vancouver was bing able to take a shower without being slammed from wall to wall! But then again we were going down the coast. :D

We were rockin' and rollin' so bad we had to skip Astoria (where we were going to meet up with Rhodi's bro). My personal opinion is that Capt. Turner jinxed it by bragging about making all our Alaska ports.

I really enjoyed the trip (even got pix of a bear and first-ever pix of calving, not to mention the increase in muscle mass from the isometric exercise of trying to stay erect), but I must admit, if it were my first cruise, I would probably have been disappointed.

Welcome home, Sue! Sounds like you, Rhodi and your entire sailing had quite a ride! Personally, we would have loved the adventure of it, but I agree, if it were my first time to AK or cruising for that matter, maybe not so much. Sounds like a wonderful adventure, and I'm glad you had a great time. Isn't it amazing seeing bears (and not from a canoe on the Yukon w/Rhodi pointing and stuttering "Bbbbbbear!" right? LOL! Tell her hello from Gary and I. Hopefully we'll sail with you two again sometime to Alaska:D!

Thanks so much for letting us come along for the "adventure" Joanie! I always love reading everyones reviews and blogs. Am looking forward to one of our family members trying to make the purse recipe.

Thanks too for your successful results in getting many, many more recipes. Can hardly wait.

AIP, it really was fun, but not too conducive to sitting out on the deck. (I really felt we let you down.) We were impressed with Joanie's details on the storms, 'cuz we were just laughing about trying to stay on our feet. Whale-watching was kinda second on our agenda. The nice thing about cruises for us is it's our way to get together without visiting each other--no cooking, no laundry, just catching up.

My opinion: any cruise is a good cruise! Hope we sail with you and Gary again! I can guarantee we'll be returning to AK. It's the alternative-universe to Las Vegas. Yes, it was 100 when I returned home on the 28th.

Maybe he meant the ships he was on...

The best thing about returning to Vancouver was bing able to take a shower without being slammed from wall to wall! But then again we were going down the coast. :D

We were rockin' and rollin' so bad we had to skip Astoria (where we were going to meet up with Rhodi's bro). My personal opinion is that Capt. Turner jinxed it by bragging about making all our Alaska ports.

I really enjoyed the trip (even got pix of a bear and first-ever pix of calving, not to mention the increase in muscle mass from the isometric exercise of trying to stay erect), but I must admit, if it were my first cruise, I would probably have been disappointed.

Hey Sue...When did you see the bear? Roger was disappointed he didn't see one.

On the way to our Skagway float trip (we saw a bear on the banks of the river on our last float trip), our guide said she could count on the fingers of one hand the number of bears she had seen this year, when what to our wondering eyes should appear strolling down the middle of the road in front of us but a black bear. Took absolutely no notice of us for quite awhile (so I got a couple of butt pix). Then he turned to the side, saw us and hotfooted it off the road. I did get kind of a side picture. Kelli, our guide, decided that we were good luck for bear sightings.

Thank you so much for your fun review.

I am so glad someone else likes the Master Chef's Dinner. I went to my first one last cruise and I had so much fun!

I am though not too sure I will take an Alaskan Cruise. YIKES!! The cold and the weather. I am a wimp. Give me warmth and not during hurricaine season.

Wednesday 21 September 2011 [

The only negativity I have heard at all is:

4. The seas being so bad and the Captain's inability to stop the ship and let the people that want off this ship right now, get off.....

Not to worry....once they find out how much they'd have to pay in fines to disembark, they'll change their tune ! :D

Archived