Mom and IPAD

lovetexas

Sorry have not had a chance to get back...

Do not know why thread got closed. This was not a made up story.

My mom parked and rode the shuttle, and just forgot to get it back outta her bag. She usually never does pack any expensive items. She does know better, but this just slipped.

I hear what everyone is saying, and I do agree.

But, I have friends who buy $200 (or more) dollar dresses, or shoes, or dress bag. Are they not supposed to pack those?? Or $100 ties, or $150 blow dryers, or ... see the point? The list can go on and on...

I do not know what the answer is, but I just think businesses should be more responsible and offer better customer service. But, I do realize that will never happen. So in the meantime, she will now leave all her expensive new toys at home. She did not download the app yet to track it, and yes it was an IPAD 2. And, we did not do the passcode lock. Those can be broken easlily anyway.

And safes are never the answer either...

Oh, and did I mention... her new paperbacks also got stolen.

My mom parked and rode the shuttle, and just forgot to get it back outta her bag. She usually never does pack any expensive items. She does know better, but this just slipped.

But, I have friends who buy $200 (or more) dollar dresses, or shoes, or dress bag. Are they not supposed to pack those?? Or $100 ties, or $150 blow dryers, or ... see the point? The list can go on and on...

I do not know what the answer is, but I just think businesses should be more responsible and offer better customer service. But, I do realize that will never happen. So in the meantime, she will now leave all her expensive new toys at home.

Yes, but dresses have to be the right size and someone may not be interested in blow dryers or ties, and MOST people wouldn't know the value...most people know the value of an IPAD...the problem is that there is no way to track where it was lost...if the bags were in the hall or got delivered to the wrong cabin or someone pulled a bag into the cabin it could have been another passenger...without knowing what happened, not sure they can do much about it.

I, personally would think it was more of porter than a cruise line worker...cruisline workers are busy and they don't fit in your pocket so it would be hard for them to go through a bag, take it out, hide it in their cabin and then go back to work...I'm not saying it isn't possible but you never know.

I do not know what the answer is, but I just think businesses should be more responsible and offer better customer service. But, I do realize that will never happen. So in the meantime, she will now leave all her expensive new toys at home. She did not download the app yet to track it, and yes it was an IPAD 2. And, we did not do the passcode lock. Those can be broken easlily anyway.

The thread was closed because the posts were no longer contributions at the end. However, there was some good advice passed along. I would check with mom's homeowners insurance policy to see if anything can be recovered, provided she has a low deductible.

We always use the in-cabin safes AND we lock our luggage. To date, we have not had any problems (knocking on wood).

I know it's a hard lesson to learn.

ANYTHING that you consider valuable should be carried on. I have a tie tack from my grandfather that probably cost no more than $10 but it has value to me. It always gets carried on. It's not always monetary cost of things that people find value in.

Management of this Community Discussion of our management policies and procedures -- including post deletions-- is considered off-topic discussion for our cruise boards and will be removed without notice. All decisions regarding any action taken by management shall remain final.

If you have comments or concerns regarding the management of this community, please address them to: community@cruisecritic.com.

This thread may very well get deleted too~

That is weird that paperbacks got taken. Did she stay in a hotel before cruise?

Maybe we can hope, since you said that she forgot to take out of checked luggage, that she actually forgot to put it in there.

Maybe the things will be sitting in her car when she returns.

And as others have said, this should be handled with insurance, either homeowner or cruise.

The tracking app is built in. Call apple support and talk to them or go to your local apple store.

And things that have obvious street value should not be in checked. I do not put jewelry costume or real in a suitcase because People do not care if it is real at the time and that invites people to check the bag for more goodies. Anything that is perceived as costing something I will not check. To the point that we make sure we can carry on a spare prosthetic leg and do not check that . Odds are it will not go missing but it is a 20k item. A dress does not have obvious street value. Most people do not wear the same size etc... A electronic gadget has a known value and a street value anyone and everyone may want it. Ipad is a hot item. You watch it carefully. When I had the original Iphone and was in Ireland they had not made it over yet and many people were eying my phone. Someone even asked to " look at it" . I knew better and it very safe on my body in a place I could barely get it out to use.

I am truely sorry I would ask all the insurances etc if it is covered. I would right to the port as well as carnival but odds are some one sold it or is using it now . Or there child is.

The tracking app is built in. Call apple support and talk to them or go to your local apple store.

And things that have obvious street value should not be in checked. I do not put jewelry costume or real in a suitcase because People do not care if it is real at the time and that invites people to check the bag for more goodies. Anything that is perceived as costing something I will not check. To the point that we make sure we can carry on a spare prosthetic leg and do not check that . Odds are it will not go missing but it is a 20k item. A dress does not have obvious street value. Most people do not wear the same size etc... A electronic gadget has a known value and a street value anyone and everyone may want it. Ipad is a hot item. You watch it carefully. When I had the original Iphone and was in Ireland they had not made it over yet and many people were eying my phone. Someone even asked to " look at it" . I knew better and it very safe on my body in a place I could barely get it out to use.

I am truely sorry I would ask all the insurances etc if it is covered. I would right to the port as well as carnival but odds are some one sold it or is using it now . Or there child is.

Unless activated beforehand, MobileMe's Find My iPad will not be activated due to privacy concerns.

It can only be tracked truly if it was the 3G model, as it has GPS. The WiFi model does not have a GPS chip. It can only get a current location via WiFi triangulation. The only way for that to work is if it is connected to a Skyhook Wireless supported router, in a Skyhook Wireless supported area.

Being a developer for the iOS platform and from recent lawsuits about the device saving location-based information in the US, EU, and Japan with multiple handset manufacturers, it is safe to say that it won't be found. All he would have to do is put it in DFU mode and restore, jailbreak, and spoof serial and UDID.

Well the safe wasn't an option since the IPad didn't make it onboard. :p

OP, I feel your pain. I have elderly parents and they are very experienced travelers, but I could see them forgetting to pull something out of checked luggage. I can see ME forgetting to pull something out of checked luggage, even though I know better.

On our last cruise my grown daughter almost sent her passport through in checked luggage, since she had stuffed her "carry on" bag into her big suitcase, so she wouldn't lose track of it in the airport or in the taxi. She knows better, and luckily the porters were still in shouting distance when it hit her.

I would kick myself (or my dad) and still be aggravated it was stolen.

Try the insurance options and see if you can get any relief. The problem with most homeowners insurance, is that even if they will cover the loss, the standard deductible will possibly be about what the Ipad was worth.

Bummer.

That IS weird the paperbacks were taken also...

When was the last time she saw the Ipad again???? Is she POSITIVE it was packed and not just laid out to be packed with the books?? Leaving stuff sitting somewhere and thinking I packed it would totally be something I would do... can anyone check at her house? or call the hotel she possibly stayed at maybe before the cruise???

If I'm way off I apologize, it's just an idea... Sorry about the lost stuff... I really hope it doesn't turn out a porter took it.

Well the safe wasn't an option since the IPad didn't make it onboard. :p

OP said they were never an answer. The answer is to keep the iPad with you from plane to safe. It's that simple. OP's Mom put it in her luggage and wasn't going to use a safe and wants to hold Canival accountable. :confused:

Nobody on this board doubts that the iPad was lost, misplaced, or stolen.

What we seriously question, was your emphatic unfounded, unproven accusation that it was stolen by the porters or someone who scans luggage, and for some reason you really expect Carnival to pick up the tab.

Now, if it was MY iPad that was lost, misplaced, or stolen,,, I would report it to guest services on board and let security handle it. I would also put some (if not most ) of the responsibility on myself and kick my own behind. Then, I would file a claim with my travel insurance after I received the response from Carnival that they could not locate it.

You mean there is a $150 blow dryer out there, for real! Did your Mom lock her bags for the cruise. You said she parked so it sounds like you drove and didn't fly. I know I have always locked all of our luggage before going to the pier. I even lock my carry-on and I am carrying that. I guess that comes from my job working in a prison. So I know there are way to many people out there that can't be trusted.

I read the entire other thread but really didnt have any thing of value to add that others haven't already stated...but the paperback missing intrigued me...is it even remotely possible that she either left the bag containing the book and the IPad at the hotel or in her car. She is 78 after all and could have thought she had it, but really didn't. She could have been a bit frazzled getting ready for embarkation and just left it behind. I could see someone taking the Ipad, but paperbacks? Nope. I dont see it. I can however see your mom putting those items in the same bag and just setting it down, thinking she has it. If at all possible call the hotel and check the lost and found or hopefully when she comes back she will find her lost items in her car.

Good luck and as others have said, check w/ her home owners or renters policy and see if this would be covered under it.

You miss the point. You pack clothes, not electronics, that is taught in the course Travelers 101.

However hearing that the books are missing I am betting on an unzipped pocket opening and things falling out.

Archived