Noordam - Explorations Cafe - Questions

Windsailer

I have never seen anyone ask for a pastry if they did not purchase a beverage.

Perhaps they'd give you one if you asked but I'd feel uncomfortable asking. It just wouldn't 'feel' right to me :o to put the steward in the position of having to say "No" if those are his instructions...... but that is not to say what you or anyone else should do.

Actually the pastries are in a case and you can't help yourself.

You are expected to buy a coffee or tea -- but many people ask politely for one of the pastries and they do get them.

sorry KK if I used the wrong term - they were out one time - but, people did get them without buying the beverage - I wouldn't do it - but I did see people doing it :D

They offer tea as well as cocoa. Do they appeal to you?

There are always trays of danish, muffins, croissants, breakfast pastries etcin Lido each morning. You certainly can help yourself to all you wish up there. You can also have them from Room Service though there are always a few they offer at Explorations that are not offered in Lido or Room Service.

My last two cruises have been on the Noordam and whenever I was at the Explorations Cafe, I would ask for a pastry, cookie, or the wonderful fruit cocktail they have in a martini glass. I have always been served with a smile and never told that I had to buy a coffee. I would think that there would be a sign if you were expected to buy a coffee in order to be served.

Actually the pastries are in a case and you can't help yourself.

You are expected to buy a coffee or tea -- but many people ask politely for one of the pastries and they do get them.

I have never seen anyone ask for a pastry if they did not purchase a beverage.

Perhaps they'd give you one if you asked but I'd feel uncomfortable asking. It just wouldn't 'feel' right to me :o to put the steward in the position of having to say "No" if those are his instructions...... but that is not to say what you or anyone else should do.

Well, I have never been asked to purchase any beverage(s) at the Explorations Cafe on any HAL ship if I have asked for any pastries! ;) (And I certainly don't "feel uncomfortable asking" either)! :p

Maybe that's why there are often few if any pastries left for those of us who do purchase coffees or teas.

Inconsiderate, just plan inconsiderate! Imagine being on a cruise ship and asking for and eating the pastries!;)

It just always seemed obvious to me that the pastries were there as part of the purchase of a gourmet coffee. They are behind glass and not out in the open to be picked up by anyone walking by. Maybe I'm too used to going to Starbucks where of course you also pay for the pastry in addition to a coffee, but it just didn't seem like the pastries are a pickup and enjoy item without any purchase in Explorations which is a pay-extra-for venue. JMHO.

The fact that the Exploration steward will give a pastry out without a coffee purchase if asked does not mean that that was HAL's original intent. It just means the steward doesn't want to get in an argument with a pax.

Being an early bird, I am known to be in the Explorations as soon as the barista or even sooner. The supply to the cafe has been drastically reduced. At one time there were eg a dozen cinnamon buns in the morning.On my most recent cruise in August there were 4! So, someone asking for a pastry without buying something does nothing to reduce the selection for the rest. It is replaced with other things a couple of times a day and is only thrown out if left over.

As long as you buy something once or twice there is no reason to worry about the food there being free or not free. After all you are on vacation. I personally have no concerns and have always been served promptly and with a smile.

It just always seemed obvious to me that the pastries were there as part of the purchase of a gourmet coffee. They are behind glass and not out in the open to be picked up by anyone walking by. Maybe I'm too used to going to Starbucks where of course you also pay for the pastry in addition to a coffee, but it just didn't seem like the pastries are a pickup and enjoy item without any purchase in Explorations which is a pay-extra-for venue. JMHO.

The fact that the Exploration steward will give a pastry out without a coffee purchase if asked does not mean that that was HAL's original intent. It just means the steward doesn't want to get in an argument with a pax.

I haven't sailed on HAL yet, but have been reading this board because I'm considering trying them next year. I've been on Princess, where they have the International Cafe, which looks similar to Explorations. You can purchase coffee, and there is a display case of pastries, salads, sandwiches, desserts, etc. depending on the time of day. These are completely without charge and available to anyone, regardless of coffee purchase, by simply asking. If I had sailed on HAL without reading this board, I would have assumed that the pastries in Explorations were free for anyone, just like at the International Cafe on Princess. HAL and Princess are owned by the same corporations, so I probably would have assumed they ran their cafes the same. In fact, in my experience, most food on a cruise ship is free of charge unless specifically labeled otherwise. If there are no price tags on the pastries, no menu listing prices, and no sign saying they are only for people purchasing coffee, my natural assumption would be that they are free of charge. I'm a little baffled by the fact that they would only give them out to people buying coffee, and I can see why people post here asking about it so often. It is rather confusing and I hope to figure out exactly what the actual policy is before I sail with HAL.

And HAL's website doesn't make the issue any clearer:

"The Explorations Café, powered by The New York Times offers a comfortable, coffee house environment where you can browse through one of the most extensive libraries at sea, view a wide array of audio and video programming, or simply read the morning paper. Guests can also enjoy fresh pastries and their favorite espresso drink provided by Torrefazione Italia."

If they were only for those who purchase a beverage I think the wording should be more on the lines of:

"Guests can also enjoy fresh pastries with the purchase of their favorite espresso drink provided by Torrefazione Italia."

It would make things a little more simple for everyone.

I feel no guilt whatsoever in having a piece of pastry even if I'm not purchasing a coffee. If it was HAL's intention to give out pastries only with the purchase of a coffee, I am sure there would be a sign saying so. As I said before, I have always been served at the cafe even when I didn't purchase a coffee.

Archived