Princess Poll

Shogun

Should Princess Open Crown Grill on Port days for Lunch  

364 members have voted

1. 1. Should Princess Open Crown Grill on Port days for Lunch

hi Chrysalis,

my thinking which could be wrong, is that it would cost more to open the main galley, cause more hassel etc due to size and layout,

compared to opening the Crown Grill.

yours Shogun

I think Crown Grill, MDR, Horizon Cafe, etc. etc. are just the venues at which the food is served. All food is prepared in the main galley.

I think Crown Grill, MDR, Horizon Cafe, etc. etc. are just the venues at which the food is served. All food is prepared in the main galley.

In that case one has to exclude the cost of running a separate galley in the equation of closing the MDR on port days. It must therefore be a serving staff related decision, the larger part of the dining room manpower.

We appreciate the opportunity to express our feeling in this little survey and hope princess has a better feel for its customers concerns. We have always mantained that we would rather pay for lunch aboard than dine at Chez Ptomaine ashore

Sorry but that is not the case...the Crown Grill has an open galley, and the HC and Caribe Cafes each have their own galley for some food prep.

Hi all

I thought we should do our own little survey

so have come up with some questions,

now we all Princess is watching so its a chance to let them know what we think.

yours Shogun

Why is it necessary to have another venue open for lunch? Besides, this would entail staffing it and preventing a rotation of the F&B crew from getting some time ashore.

Why is it necessary to have another venue open for lunch? Besides, this would entail staffing it and preventing a rotation of the F&B crew from getting some time ashore.

This is a follow on to the discussion of the MDR being closed on port days. Opening a specialty restaurant for lunch is being discussed as an option that might meet the goal of reducing staffing costs while still addressing the concerns of some pax who don't want to or can't eat in the buffet. There was an extensive discussion on another thread, which for some reason has been locked. Anyway, to try to sum it up:

1. People with food allergies or food intolerance issues have previously been advised by Princess in writing to avoid the buffet because of the risk of cross contamination and because the servers are not knowledgeable about ingredients.
  2. People with disabilities including mobility issues may have a hard time eating in the buffet.
  3. Some people just prefer to stay onboard in port and consider a lunch where they are waited on to be part of their desired cruise experience.

Closing the MDR doesn't necessarily result in the staff getting time off in ports. The staff has been re-deployed to HC during those hours.

We have always eaten lunch in the main dining room before the new policy change. We'll probably switch over to the International Cafe or room service on our upcoming cruise. There are only three port days, so it shouldn't be too bad, especially since one is Princess Cays and we usually eat on the island when we're there.

We have always eaten lunch in the main dining room before the new policy change. We'll probably switch over to the International Cafe or room service on our upcoming cruise. There are only three port days, so it shouldn't be too bad, especially since one is Princess Cays and we usually eat on the island when we're there.

The IC food to me is good for a snack of to pick up a doughnut, not real cooked food like the buffet.

The IC food to me is good for a snack of to pick up a doughnut, not real cooked food like the buffet.

There may not be sufficient choices for some, but I love their salads and paninis for lunch. Unfortunately, I am planning a bon voyage experience, or I would go on the first day for lunch, shrimp salad, mozzarella and proscuitto panini and a nice glass of pinot grigio! Perfect!

I would also be willing to pay $5.00 for lunch in the Crown Grill.

I think that there should be a dining room available every day, not just for those that like a nice sit-down lunch, but for those with disabilities who need a venue like that. Being said... I firmly believe that this is just phase one of the 'Business Plan' whereby, after enough people complain about the lack of a DR for lunch, Princess will indeed open one... For A Price. More revenue for the company. Seem's like we are way out front in suggesting this option.

Think about it.... after, let's say a year or so when many people are complaining about this - Princess offers the 'choice', for a fee. Everyone is going to start saying... WOW, Princess is giving us more "Personal Choice"... What a great company!! JMHO

People with disabilities or allergies should not need to pay a fee to eat safely! We have neither but when we have sailed with our DBIL who suffered a stroke and has use of only one hand, we eat in the MDR for breakfast, lunch and dinner. We do not do tours at all ports, especially in the Caribbean and Mexico and have eaten lunch in the MDR on most of those those port days. Since they stopped the ice cream in the afternoons in the HC, lunch in the MDR is one of two opportunities each day to have ice cream or maybe a souffle of creme brulee for desert. YUM :)

An interesting question (another poll?) would be 'have you ever had lunch in the MDR on a port day?' The replies might be indicative of why Princess is making the change.

I agree.. we have never had lunch in the DR, so that type of poll could be more usefull. But I don't think they're doing it to save money.

We just returned from Alaska on the Golden. We ate lunch in the MDR on embarkation day. We just went to the dining room and advised the person at the door that we wanted to eat there. No problem. I wouldn't pay a surcharge to eat in the Crown Grill on embarkation day. In fact, I didn't eat there during our cruise either.

Archived