late flight -will the ship wait ?l

suggabuttyboy

Why should I? (quote my location) I'm not asking a question. If I was, I would include all the relevant information, which may or may not include the city/country from which I would be traveling. When a poster doesn't include this information, they may not receive an accurate answer. If they can't read the contract they have with their cruise line and figure it out, or just call an agent and have them explain it, I rather doubt that including my city in my post makes any difference to them at all.

Hey, c'mon 6RR, you've never asked a question in 8000+ posts????

Just suppose, without quoting his country of residence an American asked how many cigars he could carry home from Cuba. And I replied "50" without quoting my country of residence. The US prison service would probably build us a 2-seater electric chair :eek:

(that's more British humour S7S ;))

I'm just beginning to wonder, 6RR, whether you're one of those who flamed me for my thread suggesting that more posters should consider including their location in their header ??????????

And we can all get answers to our questions from other sources, such as the T/A. But isn't the providing of helpful - and tolerably accurate - answers what cc is all about?

Thank you, Janet & Carl, for bringing back my sanity :)

And Marco and Donray for bringing us back to the business of answering the question :)

JB (where's the pulling-my-hair-out smiley?) :D

I do not see what the big deal is about putting your Country in your profile :confused:

No one is asking for you to put your house address just the Country:eek:

The forum members are worldwide

So knowing where you are posting from may help in understanding your questions or ANSWERS

Some answers may not be relevant for Nationalities other than U.S. citizens

Lyn

I have to disagree with those who had said, No...they will not wait". If the line arranged that flight and if there are others taking the cruise who are on that flight arranged through Cunard, they most likely will wait. We have been on several cruises on various lines that at departure time the captain has come over the PA and said something like, "we have 30 passengers on an inbound flight that should be landing in 30 minutes, it will then take 30 minutes for them to get to the ship,so we should be sailing in shortly over 1 hour from now." When air is NOT arranged by the cruise line, no...they won't wait as they have no idea where you are or when you will arrive.

Not necessarily true. There are circumstances where the ship will not wait even if there are 200 cruise/air passengers who are late. Depending on the port, the harbormaster could order the ship to depart in order to free up a berth. This happened on a Royal Caribbean cruise I was here then another time there was a snowstorm which delayed a number of flights, and the captain had no choice to depart because he was ordered to do so, despite the fact that a couple of flights were less than an hour from landing

It's the same for ship tours that are late. It's a fallacy that the ship will wait for their tours, but situations can dictate that a ship must leave. Heck, just a few weeks ago, a couple of ships left San Juan early because of a hurricane, stranding upwards of 500 people.

Agreed. :)

But the OP has done better than you, neither you nor Keith quote where you hail from at all. :p

The OP isn't a mind-reader either :rolleyes:, so isn't to know that your responses come from the wrong side of the Pond.

Worth adding a clue in your header ?

That's something I started a thread about a few months ago, but got shouted down by arrogant "senior" posters who effectively told me to mind my own business.

I think this thread proves my point.

And is it worth avoiding presumptions?

If I don't know an OP's circumstances, I try to check their other posts or incorporate any presumption into my response. Were the OP from Canada they would quickly realise that my post wasn't relevant.

Sorry folks, but I stand by my post - a little more thought & a little less cavalier posting, please.

But hey, lets not fall out over it :D

JB :)

I am the poster from Preston -that is Preston Lancs UK -what is OP ?

OP is you; Original Poster

And if I can chip in I think it is helpful for at least a country to be on the CP. Or even a State or Province. It helps in certain cases to bring some context to a post or start of a thread. Not sure why that might be a problem.

"Ron" suggests Germany in the same way that "Wolfgang" suggests Japan.

ie it doesn't.

In the same way that I can tell you're an avid fan of Monty Python.

Which of course, you're not.

That's sardonic British humour. ;)

Which apparently doesn't travel well :D

So where is Bruce from? Do you remember that sketch?

This thread has really deteriorated -- falling from a highly unlikely contention that Cunard will hold a ship for late passengers who booked air thtrough them -- all the way to a stated belief that the name "Ron" means German.

Wow!

Cunard might delay a sailing if:

a) A significant number of passengers were involved, and

b) There were no conditions such as tides, pilot availability, termination of slip availability, etc. which might mandate timely sailing.

Hopefully, Cunard wold take effective steps to get passengers who were entitled to those steps on board the ship as soon as possible; however the best answer to OP's question (like that to many others) might just be: "It depends."

I have booked my flight to Athens with Cunard -is it their responsibility to make sure we get to the ship -or are we on our own should something happen to the flight ?Thanks in advance :)

If you feel you may miss the ship due to timing of flights & arrival at the port contact Cunard & express your concern

You do not say when you are suppose to arrive in Athens & the time the ship departs so hard to give a good response

If you can fly in a day early...less stress;)

Enjoy the cruise

Lyn

So where is Bruce from? Do you remember that sketch?

If his wife's name is Sheila, I can probably hazard a good guess.

Sorry, N/B/T, back to the thread

Perhaps because of the cruiselines' obligations under UK/EU law to those who've booked fly/cruise from the UK, like others on this thread I've experienced a number of delayed departures due to flight delays, but with no knock-on effects.

If this is QV with her first port-of-call Volos, on the Greek mainland, she has a few hours in hand to delay sailing - subject of course to the other provisos that N/B/T & I & others have mentioned.

Or delayed cruisers could be bussed to Velos :eek:

Anyway, if the flight is BA, we all know that BA never screw-up :D

Dunno why I'm laughing, flying BA in a couple of weeks for a cruise from Istanbul. ...... with a port-of-call at Piraeus/Athens. Give us a wave, buttyboy, if you're on a bus bound for Velos ;)

to the OP's post is to try and see what happens. My bet is you and your fellow late fliers would end up waving at the ship in the distance.

Sorry but if the plane has been chartered by the Cruise Line then the ship will wait - within reason of course. I know this as I booked a Cunard fly-cruise in England and the plane we were on had been chartered by Cunard so everyone on the plane was on the cruise. The ship had to wait for us and it did. Not sure if it would have waited 24hrs but it waited over 6 hrs for us. We have never been checked in so quickly as we were then. We just flew through with everyone already on the ship waving and cheering us.

So for us Brits it does depend if it is a Fly-Cruise with the Cruise Line dealing with the booking of the plane, especially if its a chartered plane (not a flight arranged with your t/a). If its not a chartered plane but a scheduled flight then I would be checking with the shipping line on the position. If the shipping line is arranging everything then they have to get you to the ship somehow.

Much also depends on the shipping line you are sailing with so again check with them.

Sho Who from England

If his wife's name is Sheila, I can probably hazard a good guess.

Sorry, N/B/T, back to the thread

Perhaps because of the cruiselines' obligations under UK/EU law to those who've booked fly/cruise from the UK, like others on this thread I've experienced a number of delayed departures due to flight delays, but with no knock-on effects.

If this is QV with her first port-of-call Volos, on the Greek mainland, she has a few hours in hand to delay sailing - subject of course to the other provisos that N/B/T & I & others have mentioned.

Or delayed cruisers could be bussed to Velos :eek:

Anyway, if the flight is BA, we all know that BA never screw-up :D

Dunno why I'm laughing, flying BA in a couple of weeks for a cruise from Istanbul. ...... with a port-of-call at Piraeus/Athens. Give us a wave, buttyboy, if you're on a bus bound for Velos ;)

Would do JB but my cruise is next year-am eager to do all the research I can as early as I can even though the cruise is the last of our 4 booked holidays -rest are fly-drives which we love -get to really explore the off beaten tracks -SO a cruise will come as a shock ,though we are prepared for -a nice shock though -the Greek Islands weren't suitable for a fly drive !!!!!! JOKE

I personally don't eat sugar butties -the term is one of endearment for my grandson !!!

To be honest, when there wasn't much food around after the last war, sugar butties were quite a treat- even in Yorkshire.....and even evaporated milk butties! Couldn't think of anything worse nowadays....:o :p

Jo.

I personally don't eat sugar butties -the term is one of endearment for my grandson !!!

The daft thing is that my original post has disappeared, somewhere between page 2 and 3....if you hadn't quoted it, I'd have thought I never wrote it....

Jo.

To be honest, when there wasn't much food around after the last war, sugar butties were quite a treat- even in Yorkshire.....and even evaporated milk butties! Couldn't think of anything worse nowadays....:o :p

Jo.

I agree

We had them here when I was a child also

Now OMG I could not even think of them

along with fried bread :eek:

Archived