Rum Cakes on Jewel for take home gifts?

Was hoping to buy some rum cakes in Canada at one of the ports to bring home for gifts. I see RCI has a rule that you cannot bring food back on the ship from port. I took this to mean fresh foods such as fruit or your leftover port lunch...however my friend thinks this would also include the rum cakes.. I say the rum cakes are shrink wrapped and put in a souvenier tin that is all sealed up , so that would be alright. Has anyone else dealt with food take home gifts ? :confused:

Mmmmm....rum cakes....:D

I think as long as something is shrink-wrapped you should be fine. We bought cheese in Curacao in April and had no problems bringing them on Adventure for this very reason. But as the previous poster mentioned, you should be able to get rum cakes onboard the ship. Haven't met a ship yet that didn't have rum cakes to sell ;):D

As noted, they are readily available right on the ship in the liquor shop. What I do, however, is buy an assortment of flavored rums and make my own when we get home - pineapple, coconut, banana and plain to make chocolate ones. Really easy and much better than the bought ones.

Was hoping to buy some rum cakes in Canada at one of the ports to bring home for gifts. I see RCI has a rule that you cannot bring food back on the ship from port. I took this to mean fresh foods such as fruit or your leftover port lunch...however my friend thinks this would also include the rum cakes.. I say the rum cakes are shrink wrapped and put in a souvenier tin that is all sealed up , so that would be alright. Has anyone else dealt with food take home gifts ? :confused:

I don't actually remember seeing the rum cakes on the NE/Canada itinerary. My DH and I did that cruise last year and I don't think they were in the shop on the ship. My Mom is actually on the Jewel now and gets off Saturday, I can ask her if she saw any. What I did find strange though, was that she was allowed to bring a lobster roll back on the ship in Bar Harbor. She called me from her balcony as she was enjoying the weather and her lunch.

We've also purchased those huge wheels of gouda cheese in Aruba and Curacao and never had a problem bringing them back on the ship. :) A few years ago, I purchased the small rum cakes in Cayman and no problem with them either. I think as long as it's packaged..shrink wrapped or in a wax coating like the cheese, you won't have a problem.

Could it be that the lobster roll was allowed on in Bar Harbor because it is a US port, and the ship had not yet been to any other country? And I wouldn't expect to see rum cakes on Canadian cruises. Be interesting to hear from one currently on board about this.

Geri, if you have a favorite rum cake recipe, please share :) and I had no idea they would sell rum cakes on some ships... !!! YUMMMMM !~!! I saw an article on Halifax and they are supposed to have a famous Rum Cake Store with an interesting history which dates back to the ole rum runner days.... .... ......Thank you everyone for your information... I am looking forward to purchasing some :D

You will be able to buy rum cakes at Rum Runners in Halifax which is on the boardwalk and a short walk from the pier. Their website is rumrunners dot ca and it will show you what's available and how to get there. Hope this helps :)

yes, i believe this is the one i heard about .. thank you ! :D

I have bought rum cakes, potato chips (ketchup potato chips in Canada), jams, jellies, candies and other food stuff and have never had a problem bringing them on board. Only thing I have seen them keep until the end of the cruise is the alcohol.

Rum cakes on the caribbean is delicious.

I don't actually remember seeing the rum cakes on the NE/Canada itinerary. My DH and I did that cruise last year and I don't think they were in the shop on the ship. My Mom is actually on the Jewel now and gets off Saturday, I can ask her if she saw any. What I did find strange though, was that she was allowed to bring a lobster roll back on the ship in Bar Harbor. She called me from her balcony as she was enjoying the weather and her lunch.

Your mother is a woman after my own heart.......to combine a lobster roll and a cruise ship balcony has to be the pinnacle of happiness.

As noted, they are readily available right on the ship in the liquor shop. What I do, however, is buy an assortment of flavored rums and make my own when we get home - pineapple, coconut, banana and plain to make chocolate ones. Really easy and much better than the bought ones.

I definitely agree that doing your own cakes with the flavored rum is the way to go! The one using coconut rum is my favorite.

My husband loves those rum cakes, and yes, we've brought them home. However, at some point, I looked at the ingredients and all of the preservatives and decided we'd make our own. So, we bought rum and then I started looking for a recipe. I asked my German relatives who said the rum was only in the icing and that rum cakes were made with rum flavoring not with rum. (Hope that makes sense.) I've never gotten around to trying it but do know that my aunt made wonderful cakes so here is the recipe (probably from the 30s or 40s)

OLA'S RUM CAKE:

3 cups flour

4 eggs

1/2 tsp. soda

1 cup buttermilk

1 tsp. vanilla

2 cups sugar

1/2 tsp. salt

1/2 tsp. baking powder

1 cup shortening or butter.

Cream shortening and sugar. Add eggs one at a time. Add vanilla. Beat well. Add butter and milk alternatively with flour, soda, etc.

Bake at 350 for one hour.

ICING: 1/2 cup sugar

1/4 cup of water

Bring to boil. Cool. Add tsp rum flavoring to the syrup. Use a pastry brush to apply to cake while it is still warm.

(I assume this is a pound cake???)

yes, i believe this is the one i heard about .. thank you ! :D

I was thinking of the rum cakes that you see on all the islands in the yellow boxes. I forgot about the other company that is on the boardwalk in Halifax. They were a little pricey so we passed but they did have some cool t-shirts in there too when we were there. There was a candy store with that too that had some very different chocolate flavors.

Archived