I don't understand "prepaid gratuities" on Celebrity Silhouette!

sparot5

We are sailing on our first Celebrity cruise on The Silhouette on November 18th. We were told that only Select was available as early/late was filled. We prepaid and really don't have that much of a problem with it. We also bought the premium drink package,:) so I am looking forward to seeing $0.000 at the end of the cruise.

It is my understanding that we prepaid all of the tips, no just dining. Is that correct?

Tips are charged upfront to your Sea Pass account when you choose Select Dining because most likely you will not be getting the same wait staff each evening. This ensures that everyone gets a gratuity. I think the reason for all tips being charged upfront is to stream line the bookkeeping process. Being charged everyday or upfront doesn't make any difference. It is the same amount of money.

Prepaid grats for the Select Dining option are not charged to your seapass, they are added to the cost of your cruise and paid at final payment. I kind of like paying it in advance - psychologically, it will seem like I have lower final bill @ the end of the cruise!

We are sailing on our first Celebrity cruise on The Silhouette on November 18th. We were told that only Select was available as early/late was filled. We prepaid and really don't have that much of a problem with it. We also bought the premium drink package,:) so I am looking forward to seeing $0.000 at the end of the cruise.

It is my understanding that we prepaid all of the tips, no just dining. Is that correct?

Spa service tips are not included I believe.

I understand the OP's point and think it's an unfair policy.

Celebrity and Royal C. I believe are the only cruise lines that charge you for the entire gratuities at final payment if you choose the select or anytime dining option. I don't believe even NCL does that. I think they just want the extra $$$ in their pockets! What happens if you cannot cruise at the last minute? You have lost the cost of the cruise and the prepaid gratuities? Has anyone had this happen? I wonder if travel insurance would consider the prepaid gratuities

as part of the cruise fare. I think this is kind of unfair. If they really just wanted to make sure you paid your gratuities with select dining, why not just charge your a/c everyday WITHOUT the option of adjusting it? wouldn't that solve the problem :confused:

Spa service tips are not included I believe.

A 15% "service fee" (i.e., gratuity) is charged up-front when booking & paying for a spa service.

As with your dining staff & stateroom attendants, you always have the option of leaving more for truly outstanding service. I will be sailing on a Christmas cruise this year and plan to leave more for everyone, anyway. :)

No fees or gratuities are added when paying in advance for shore excursions. I usually budget extra cash for tipping tour guides, dive masters, etc.

It's interesting to note that us Brits don't like tipping in any form and that our American cousins always agree with it!

I think our cultures are different. In the UK we expect to be paid a proper wage so that tipping is something you get only if you give 'over and above' special service in the service industries and not for doing your job! I wouldn't dream of asking for or expecting a tip for doing my job - I am paid to do a good job after all.

I really think it's about time that cruise fares included tips, they don't even have to separate that in the price, just give one price. Pay a proper wage to the staff - why is this so difficult. This would save any of these disputes, queries or awkwardness.

It is entirely wrong, in my opinion, to pay a tip in advance of the service, what happens if the service falls down (never seen it happen on Celebrity) but it could happen. Staff should be paid a proper wage and then if they go 'above and beyond', people can show their appreciation to that person and he/she can benefit from their good service.

I know the other argument is that the 'behind the scenes' staff do not benefit from the tips that others would get in the front line. Again, in my opinion, this is the right way, pay all staff a proper wage, even if it means adding some to the original purchase price of the cruise and then allow the individuals who give a special service to benefit. You wouldn't go to a hotel and tip everyone behind the scenes or expect to pay a prepaid or daily tip would you? So why on cruise lines?

Surely this would also encourage staff on ship to do well and to give exceptional service.

I can't speak for everyone but all the Brits that I have spoken to, who cruise, would rather just be given a price for the cruise and not be told or charged separately for tipping!

I might add that I do always prepay tips because that's what is currently required on some lines but I don't think it is the correct way.

Enjoy your cruises.

It's interesting to note that us Brits don't like tipping in any form and that our American cousins always agree with it!

I think our cultures are different. In the UK we expect to be paid a proper wage so that tipping is something you get only if you give 'over and above' special service in the service industries and not for doing your job! I wouldn't dream of asking for or expecting a tip for doing my job - I am paid to do a good job after all.

I really think it's about time that cruise fares included tips, they don't even have to separate that in the price, just give one price. Pay a proper wage to the staff - why is this so difficult. This would save any of these disputes, queries or awkwardness.

It is entirely wrong, in my opinion, to pay a tip in advance of the service, what happens if the service falls down (never seen it happen on Celebrity) but it could happen. Staff should be paid a proper wage and then if they go 'above and beyond', people can show their appreciation to that person and he/she can benefit from their good service.

I know the other argument is that the 'behind the scenes' staff do not benefit from the tips that others would get in the front line. Again, in my opinion, this is the right way, pay all staff a proper wage, even if it means adding some to the original purchase price of the cruise and then allow the individuals who give a special service to benefit. You wouldn't go to a hotel and tip everyone behind the scenes or expect to pay a prepaid or daily tip would you? So why on cruise lines?

Surely this would also encourage staff on ship to do well and to give exceptional service.

I can't speak for everyone but all the Brits that I have spoken to, who cruise, would rather just be given a price for the cruise and not be told or charged separately for tipping!

I might add that I do always prepay tips because that's what is currently required on some lines but I don't think it is the correct way.

Enjoy your cruises.

An excellent point you brought up, and one that's never been brought up before:rolleyes:

Obviously being forced into Select dining is more common than realized. Select Dining is now my first choice and I have no issue with the policy. But IMO it is not really fair to force people into the Select Dining option especially with the requirements. Disappointed to hear.

I didn't understand their policy either and I hate it. This is my personal opinion, but it's the only one that makes sense to me. All other cruise lines bill gratuities for people in Select Dining/Anytime Dining just the same as people in Traditional Dining. Celebrity caved in and offered Select Dining to be competitive with other cruise lines. I think that they force people who want Select Dining to pay upfront as a way to deter people from choosing that option. Personally, I like to use my OBC to pay my gratuities. I also like to keep my money in my bank account rather in Celebrity's bank account. There's no rational reason to do this other than discourage you from choosing Select. And, in your case, it makes no sense all the more. The idea that Select Diners might use the buffet more and stiff the staff is ludicrous. It implies that people who choose this option are cheap and out to cheat the system. JMO.

Enjoy your cruises.

This has actually been discussed on many threads about tipping in general in the past. I am an American and I agree 100% with you. I think it would be much more appropriate if the cruise line paid their staff a reasonable wage and included it in the price of the cruise so that tipping would be entirely optional and only as a bit extra instead of providing their basic wage and leaving them working for nothing of someone did not tip them. The current system makes no sense.

Part of the problem is semantics. Due to the history of the system they call the funds used for compensation a gratuity but since it is not optional it should really just be called a service charge and should really be included in the aggregate quoted cruise price from the start. The real issue is that it is a historical part of the pricing and advertising of prices for cruises marketed in the USA. Unfortunately if Celebrity & RCCL added these into the cruise price it and others did not then it would make their prices seem less less attractive than their competitors. So the system won't change until the entire industry changes.

On the other hand it is what it is for better or worse. While the British compensation custom you would prefer would be great it just isn't in place and until a change is made I really don't have too much of a problem with the current system. To me it really isn't that big of a deal.

Including the tips in the cruise price sounds on the surface like a good idea,but what actually happens is that in a very short time that increased wage becomes the crews" base pay". At first the crew would be elated to get the increase in their wages and would accept the lack of a tip at the end of a cruise. But, we as Americans would start tipping that little extra to our favorite waiters, room attendants, etc. Soon that little "extra" would be expected and it wouldn't be long before those who didn't give the "extra tip" would be considered as stiffing the staff.

Enjoy your cruises.

The minute that Celebrity begins to pay a proper wage, is the minute that many of us, myself most definitely included, will no longer be able to afford to cruise. Be very careful what you wish for. Please just pay the tips.

Anne

Edited by cruiseacecat

Best post on the thread, deserves repeating.

Actually they are not charged to your Sea Pass account at all when you choose Select Dining. They are due with final payment, long before you have a Sea Pass account. The rest I'm in complete agreement with.

Thank you for the correction. You are correct. Gratuities are due with the final payment. My mistake. This is the first time we have done Select Dining so in the past everything was charged to our Sea Pass Account. We really do prefer late dining so we will see what this is like. :)

Edited by Chicago Boy

I understand the OP's point and think it's an unfair policy.

Celebrity and Royal C. I believe are the only cruise lines that charge you for the entire gratuities at final payment if you choose the select or anytime dining option. I don't believe even NCL does that. I think they just want the extra $$$ in their pockets! What happens if you cannot cruise at the last minute? You have lost the cost of the cruise and the prepaid gratuities? Has anyone had this happen? I wonder if travel insurance would consider the prepaid gratuities

as part of the cruise fare. I think this is kind of unfair. If they really just wanted to make sure you paid your gratuities with select dining, why not just charge your a/c everyday WITHOUT the option of adjusting it? wouldn't that solve the problem :confused:

Completely agree. All other lines have open dining and are able to handle the tips the same way traditional dining is done...daily. No idea why Celebrity and RCL are incompetent to dish out the tips unless they get them in advance

If you cancel before the final date you would get a refund. If you just don't go then I don't think you get the refund, but I'm not sure since I've never "not gone" :)

I think they do prepaid for Select dining because you may not have the same waiter every night. I'm not sure why you have to prepay all of the gratuities and not just the ones for the dining room. For example, I can't figure out what using Select dining has to do with your room attendant, but it is what it is.

I think prepaid gratuities are really a "fee" since they are not negotiable (they just charge you the whole amount, whereas otherwise it is up to you how much you tip). I also think it's unfair that they collect the money so far ahead of the cruise since tips, as you say, are typically paid after the service is rendered.

There have been tons of conversations about it on this forum (you can use search to look around). I think most people just drink the Kool-Aid and go with it. Not much choice really if you want to sail.

Tom

If you cancel your cruise before you go even after final payment both the taxes and prepaid gratuities plus any excursions you booked are refundable. Just to clarify.

• 2 years later...

I have a few questions about a cruise we have scheduled for January. It is our first with Celebrity:

We have chosen the Celebrity equivalent of anytime dining. I see that my invoice from my travel agent lists gratuities in the amount of $84 for each of us (me and my husband) for a total of $168 on a 7 day cruise. That comes to $6.00 a day for each of us. I thought the daily tip fees are $11.50 each per day and applied every day to the bill. I will pay this up front, but then will we have to pay another $5.50 per day added on each day of cruise at the end? I find this confusing. We have the pick your own perk and chose the classic beverage package. But it looks like there are maximums on the cost of the beer, wine or frozen drink. Is this correct and also it says it includes water but not name brand or high end water. What other kind of water is there? And what about the mini bar in the room. Is this included?

Hi GRAMMASALLY123

I see this is your first post on Cruise Critic... So a big welcome aboard!!

Haven't sailed with Celebrity since last year, so not really in a position to say what is going on with how they have charged you for your Grats, maybe someone else can address that.

As for the Bevvy Packages... Under 123GO or Pick Your Perk you can choose to have the Classic Alcohol Pkg for the two primary Cruisers per Cabin (who are 21 or older)

Classic Pkg features name brand Spirits... Some Beers, and Wines & Cocktails up to $9 per pour. And it also covers some non-alcoholic items like Bottled Water & Pop

There is no cap on how much you drink in a day on the cruise (unlike some other cruiselines).

The Premium Pkg includes more elements... Premium Spirits, more Beers and Wines & Cocktails up to $ 13 per pour.

As well if you purchase a drink over $ 13, then only the difference is charged to you... And not the whole shot as it would be on the Classic Pkg

The Premium Pkg also includes a more extensive list of non-alcoholic bevvys... Like not just Regular Spring Bottled Water... But also ones that are Carbonated or Flavoured

The cost to Upgrade should you so choose is $ 11.50 US per person per day ($ 10 US plus 15% Grat)

Bevvy Pkgs include drinks anywhere on the Ship... EXCEPT those delivered by Room Service or taken out of your Mini Bar

Hope this helps,

Cheers!

Edited by Sloop-JohnB

I also disagree with this policy. Particularly since the OP doesn't even want select dining but traditional.

We choose select and prepay, but we think it is silly. It motivated me to find a TA to pay them so I wouldn't be bothered by it.

I do not understand why people are saying they must be prepaid as we will forget who served us. Aren't all tips auto tips anyway? I mean is anyone running around with envelopes except to pay extra? How many of you are really taking off the auto pay?

We attended an officers question and answer session once where an officer basically laughed at the idea of us paying extra over auto tips. He said everyone was compensated plenty, if we did the auto tips. Now do I believe him? Not sure.

I also disagree with this policy. Particularly since the OP doesn't even want select dining but traditional.

We choose select and prepay, but we think it is silly. It motivated me to find a TA to pay them so I wouldn't be bothered by it.

I do not understand why people are saying they must be prepaid as we will forget who served us. Aren't all tips auto tips anyway? I mean is anyone running around with envelopes except to pay extra? How many of you are really taking off the auto pay?

We attended an officers question and answer session once where an officer basically laughed at the idea of us paying extra over auto tips. He said everyone was compensated plenty, if we did the auto tips. Now do I believe him? Not sure.

First... For the record this post has been today resurrected by a NEW CC Member (tag on Question)

The original Question was posed in 2011... And as such this topic has been discussed many times on CC

As for your Quote:

How many (of you) are really taking off the auto pay ?

If you have ever had to go to Guest Relations on the last day / night of the cruise for any reason (another matter)... I think you'd be shocked at how many show up with their Invoice in hand to do just this.

I think this s precisely WHY Celebrity implemented prepaid Grats for Select Dining originally... Too many of the Wait Staff in Select Dining were losing out.

Sad but true.

Cheers!

For the record we The Sloops don't ever remove Daily Grats. We believe in taking appropriate action as things occur (talking to the person... And then if need be their Manager). We also in extra tipping for extraordinary service.

What is it about pre- paid Gratuities,

you don't actually pay them when you book

they only become due when you make final payment anyway,

as for those who say I like to pay directly -

ask the staff they all prefer prepaid.

I personally prefer this system as its another thing I don't

need to worry about.

I suppose there are still some folks who have them removed

but hey thats their prerogative I suppose.

I have a few questions about a cruise we have scheduled for January. It is our first with Celebrity:

We have chosen the Celebrity equivalent of anytime dining. I see that my invoice from my travel agent lists gratuities in the amount of $84 for each of us (me and my husband) for a total of $168 on a 7 day cruise. That comes to $6.00 a day for each of us. I thought the daily tip fees are $11.50 each per day and applied every day to the bill. I will pay this up front, but then will we have to pay another $5.50 per day added on each day of cruise at the end? I find this confusing. We have the pick your own perk and chose the classic beverage package. But it looks like there are maximums on the cost of the beer, wine or frozen drink. Is this correct and also it says it includes water but not name brand or high end water. What other kind of water is there? And what about the mini bar in the room. Is this included?

As another poster pointed out you slipped a digit on your math. the $168 divided by 7 =12 or $12 per person. That is the gratuity service charge rate for Concierge Class (CC) and Aquaclass (AQ) cabins.

The information you have on your beverage package is correct. The not name brand water changes from cruise to cruise depending on what is available at the ports but as an example Iv'e seen Geyser Peak at some ports. The "Premium" still water is Evian. You can upgrade from the classic package onboard or in advance to the premium package for $11.50 per person (including the service charge) for the remaining nights of your cruise if you find after you board that the classic package falls short. There is more information on the classic package in the first post of this thread: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2048745

There is more information on the packages including recent menus with prices on this thread: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2042016

The beverage packages do not include room service or the mini bar in your cabin. But if you want drinks for your cabin you can go to a bar and bring them back. The bartenders will leave bottles and cans unopened on request and the coffee bar will serve in take-away cups on request. You can only get one drink at a time with the cards but they will allow you to get two drinks at one time if you present both cards which have the package on them so you can go to a bar to get two beverages to bring back if you bring your cabin-mate's card as well. You can also ask your cabin steward to empty your mini bar if you want to store items there and not get them confused with the stocked items.

If you look through the threads on this forum there are lots and lots of discussions on the beverage packages and what is included.

Edited by Lsimon

What is it about pre- paid Gratuities,

you don't actually pay them when you book

they only become due when you make final payment anyway,

as for those who say I like to pay directly -

ask the staff they all prefer prepaid.

I personally prefer this system as its another thing I don't

need to worry about.

I suppose there are still some folks who have them removed

but hey thats their prerogative I suppose.

I agree, not perfect but is probably the best way.

I recall, maybe a decade ago, the room steward towards the end of your cruise would leave envelops to tip your waiter, asst. waiter and room steward. That last night in the MDR, the room would be empty. As a former busboy in my college days, I felt bad for the dining staff.

I just consider the gratuities, whether pre or post, just part of the price of the cruise and don't worry about it.

Edited by Banjo