Men: surprise cruise for bday or not?????

Wayfairers

My husband is a very cost conscious guy. I found a cruise for about $60pp to the western caribbean - we've been to 2 of the 3 ports and he has always wanted to return to 1 on those. We will drive to/from the departure port in one day and parking and a hotel room the night before departure is included in the price.

I'm thinking of giving him this cruise for his 46th birthday. Vacation time is not an issue since we are already retired. My question is do I surprise him? Any suggestions on when and how?

I know you do not know my husband, I am wondering how men, in general, would react to this surprise??? Women love surprises... do men?

Sure...just don't wait until you are about to depart, unless he does NONE of his own packing....

Sometimes, the anticipation and preparation is a big part of vacationing...is it for him? If so, give him time to anticipate and prepare. If not...abscond with him and have fun!

I gave my husband a three-day cruise (one port) for his birthday - before that, he hated ships, said he would never set foot on one without a welding torch... since then, we have been on this same cruise yearly, spent our honeymoon on a Hurtigruten "cruise" and plan a TA for next year.

I went so far as to pack his bags for him, getting him up at four in the morning to go to the train station and not telling him where we were going until we had reached the port. I know he'd have said no if I had asked him. He loved it :D and I knew it!

I think it is a wonderful gift, during this weeks WOW sale I reserved a 4 nighter on the Liberty for my DH surprise birthday gift. Although it is in 2013 I have plenty of time to plan it. We are going on the Allure before the birthday cruise, but for the price I couldn't ignore taking advantage of the lower deposit and OBC.

What man or woman would complain about going on a surprise cruise with their special someone? My DH stated last night that he would love to go on the Liberty again in the future (stated while we watched "Extreme Cruise ships - Oasis). So he will get his wish on my dime.

All because we love them!

Butterfly625

Just make sure he has his passport. Besides, you will need it to do the on-line registration, which you should do about a week before you sail. Maybe that's the time to tell him. Voyager of the Seas? If so, be sure to see Derek Lewis in the Pig and Whistle bar (deck 5).

I hope he does have have other plans for his birthday. I would be awkward if he were planning also to surprise you with a trip. For that reason alone, it might be better to tell him in advance, before the cruise final payment date. Besides, doesn't he check the credit card bills?

Love it! My husband would love, love, love it! As far as dropping hints, maybe you could give him some small gifts that all add up to a cruise. Ideas:

• A plastic monkey
  • A CD of steel drum music
  • A banana
  • New luggage tag
  • A Cruise Compass (do you have an old one that you can use? Block out a section and make it all about his birthday??)

Anyway, just some thoughts. Have fun!

Wow, Butterfly! I was trying to be fun and helpful! I was thinking about some of the fun things in ports -- plastic monkeys in rum drinks in the Caribbean. There are a plethora of banana drinks as well as coconut. I thought it would be fun, and I'm shocked at your response to basically tell me to get lost.

Could you re-read your response to me and perhaps think positively and not assume I was trying to be rude or unhelpful? What would I get out of trying to be rude or unhelpful?

Wow...floored here. Really. No harm intended.

I really appreciated the ideas you provided - whether or not I end up using them they got me thinking about what would be good hints... Thanks!! And, I will use some of them.

When I read Butterfly's post I was thinking you must have said something to upset that person on another thread. I was floored too.

I would not like the surprise cruise. I love to cruise but when it comes to a major purchase as a couple we discuss before a purchase.

In a way,,, I kind of agree.

Depends upon the motive and the intent behind the gift.

Is the cruise vacation "gift" really for him. Or is it really for her, but he gets to go along and carry the luggage around plus all of the shopping bags.

Maybe for my wifes birthday, I'll buy her a week long hunting trip. :D

In a way,,, I kind of agree.

Depends upon the motive and the intent behind the gift.

Is the cruise vacation "gift" really for him. Or is it really for her, but he gets to go along and carry the luggage around plus all of the shopping bags.

Maybe for my wifes birthday, I'll buy her a week long hunting trip. :D

Gotta think about that..... yeah, it is for him more than me. He loves to cruise and wants to go back to Cozumel so I picked the cruise with him in mind.

fyi... we equally carry the luggage and I always carry the shopping bags since he hates to carry things around :D:D

Gotta think about that..... yeah, it is for him more than me. He loves to cruise and wants to go back to Cozumel so I picked the cruise with him in mind.

fyi... we equally carry the luggage and I always carry the shopping bags since he hates to carry things around :D:D

Your motive and intent sounds good.

How would I do it differently if I were to purchase a cruise "as a gift" for my wife?

If it was her birthday and my gift to her, I would purchase the cruise with the 2nd person open. She could take anyone she wants to. If she chose me, I would be honored. If she chose our daughter or a friend of hers, I would be equally happy because the gift was a cruise for HER.

Archived