Torn Between two Lenses...

DrFootball

The DW & I are "torn"...

The Tamaron 18-270 (the New one w/ the true silent PSD motor drive!)

or the New Nikon 28-300(which is more expensive!)

The bodies are a Nikon D-90 & the D-300..

Already have the 18-105 & 70-300 Nikons(VR & VR-II), Lens Baby Complete set up, and Sigma 180MM & 150-500MM Super Tele-Zoom(she shoots sports for our company & I Edit & Write)

Suggestions, Comments,.....TIA...

Bill(DrFootball)

“We’re here to put a dent in the universe. Otherwise why else even be here?”

—Steve Jobs

Bill's Brainiac Random Quote Generator V0.95 final beta for Mac

Doc, given the lenses that you already have, I'm just wondering what your reasoning is for getting one of the two new ones you are asking about. Is it to have a single "walking around" lens with a greater reach than your current 18-105? (If that's the case, you'd have to decide of course whether the Nikon 28-300 is not wide enough at the short end for that purpose.)

I use Nikon D7000, will work on your D90 and D300, have the 28-300mm. The beauty of this lens is that it not only covers a great range for most shooting situations (28-300mm), but it's also a full-frame FX lens too. Using a full-frame lens on D7000 (a DX camer) effectively have a 42-450 lens. This lens is small compared to other 400mm and with VRII can get away without a tripod. Did have the Bigma lens just to much with to carry. Just a thought.

Tom :)

FWIW

You already got a 18-105 and 70-300 and two bodies! As nice as a superzoom sounds how often do you go wanting because you missed a shot because you were changing lense? Two bodies with two lense one with 18-105 the other with 70-300 should cover almost everything.

If you want to shoot sports I'd get a fast medium tele! 70-200 2.8, sigma has a new one or a used 70-200 Nikon VRI.

The DW & I are "torn"...

Already have the 18-105 & 70-300 Nikons(VR & VR-II), Lens Baby Complete set up, and Sigma 180MM & 150-500MM Super Tele-Zoom(she shoots sports for our company & I Edit & Write)

Bill(DrFootball)

—Steve Jobs

Doc, given the lenses that you already have, I'm just wondering what your reasoning is for getting one of the two new ones you are asking about. Is it to have a single "walking around" lens with a greater reach than your current 18-105? (If that's the case, you'd have to decide of course whether the Nikon 28-300 is not wide enough at the short end for that purpose.)

IS The DW wants The "Walkaround" with more range...The 28-300 prob. is a little too "narrow" for what she wants,..but then again for 3 months while she was getting ready for the second body she kept saying "LENSBABY" to me and she's used it exactly 4 times since we got it....

Thx for the reply!

Bill(DrFootball)

"Forget about your troubles folks, It's all about Good Rock & Roll, Frying Tires, and Football…" Coach Jerry Glanville

FWIW

You already got a 18-105 and 70-300 and two bodies! As nice as a superzoom sounds how often do you go wanting because you missed a shot because you were changing lense? Two bodies with two lense one with 18-105 the other with 70-300 should cover almost everything.

If you want to shoot sports I'd get a fast medium tele! 70-200 2.8, sigma has a new one or a used 70-200 Nikon VRI.

SHe's looking into either the Sigma(since she also likes them) as well as the Nikon...

She already does quite well on the Football Sidelines with the 70-300 & the Sigma 150-500....We also shoot Airshows as i'm an ex-Army Pilot...

Bill(DrFootball)

This Medal is awarded to the Aviator who has “distinguished himself by Heroism, Gallantry or Extraordinary Achievement while participating in aerial flight.” - The Army Distinguished Flying Cross

I use Nikon D7000, will work on your D90 and D300, have the 28-300mm. The beauty of this lens is that it not only covers a great range for most shooting situations (28-300mm), but it's also a full-frame FX lens too. Using a full-frame lens on D7000 (a DX camer) effectively have a 42-450 lens. This lens is small compared to other 400mm and with VRII can get away without a tripod. Did have the Bigma lens just to much with to carry. Just a thought.

Tom :)

Yeah She "Kvetches" about how Heavy the 150-500 is,...but the shots...

(A-10 Thunderbolt-II & P-51 Mustang on the "Heritage Flight" pass at the 2011 NY Air Show @ Jones Beach St. Park...)

210394141_DSC_7100copy.jpg.d5bc67b954417134cf11fb213d581294.jpg

I have the Tamron 18-270 PZD for my Nikon D300. It is a good all around lens with the understanding that an all in one is never going to be super sharp. It is a 15x lens which is asking a lot of one lens. It is sharpest at 200mm or less. I had the earlier model Tamron 18-270. It had problems with auto focus in low light, low contrast and at 270mm. The PZD is much better. The PZD is smaller and lighter. It's a lens you can leave on all day. On a recent trip to Europe I took the Tamron, Tokina 12-24mm and a Nikon 50mm 1.4. I'm not sure I used anything but the Tamron. On one typical day I shot about 175 frames. On the short end 22 were at 18mm and 24 between 18mm/25mm. On the long end, 2 were at 270mm, 2 at 250mm and 12 between 100/185 mm. The bulk were in the 25mm to 100mm range.

The DW & I are "torn"...

Bill(DrFootball)

—Steve Jobs

You have not said what other lenses you have but I would spring for a good wide angle lens before I bought either of the other lenses. If you do insist on buying the long lens, I would get the 18-270 as the difference between 270 and 300 is minimal at the long end but the difference between 18 and 28 at the wide end is huge.

DON

You have not said what other lenses you have but I would spring for a good wide angle lens before I bought either of the other lenses. If you do insist on buying the long lens, I would get the 18-270 as the difference between 270 and 300 is minimal at the long end but the difference between 18 and 28 at the wide end is huge.

DON

I didn't?? Clearly in my first post which you quoted it says just what lenses DW shoots with..but i'll list again here:

She bought the D300 as just a refurbed body BTW..

she got the 18-105 VR w/ the D-90. Sep.@ different times we puerchased the 70-300 VR-II, The Complete lens Baby set up, The sigma 150-500(OSM) & the Sigma 180MM.

she's also looking into the Sigma 70-200 OSM(same as VR) since it's less then Nikon's. She was going to get a fisheye, but we bought a fisheye for the lensbaby...

Bill(DrFootball)

“We’re here to put a dent in the universe. Otherwise why else even be here?”—Steve Jobs

I didn't?? Clearly in my first post which you quoted it says just what lenses DW shoots with..but i'll list again here:

She bought the D300 as just a refurbed body BTW..

she got the 18-105 VR w/ the D-90. Sep.@ different times we puerchased the 70-300 VR-II, The Complete lens Baby set up, The sigma 150-500(OSM) & the Sigma 180MM.

she's also looking into the Sigma 70-200 OSM(same as VR) since it's less then Nikon's. She was going to get a fisheye, but we bought a fisheye for the lensbaby...

Bill(DrFootball)

“We’re here to put a dent in the universe. Otherwise why else even be here?”—Steve Jobs

You did not make it clear if the lenses in your list were all the lenses that you own or just the ones you shoot with. Regardless, my points are still valid with regard to the choice between the 2 long lens alternatives and my opinion that you will get more value from a wide angle. I have the Tamron 11-18 zoom and the difference between 11 and 18 is immense.

DON

You did not make it clear if the lenses in your list were all the lenses that you own or just the ones you shoot with. Regardless, my points are still valid with regard to the choice between the 2 long lens alternatives and my opinion that you will get more value from a wide angle. I have the Tamron 11-18 zoom and the difference between 11 and 18 is immense.

DON

Thanks! Today she found a 16-85 and a 14-24 at one of our preferred vendors...It's possible we'll be picking up a lens this weekend since we sail next weekend! She's still leaning towards the new Tamron 18-270, but we might be able to swing 2 and then she'd get an ultra wide as well(so much for that "future Cruise Credit")

Mostly she's shooting On Field stuff with the 70-300 & using the 150-500 for "through the Endzone" shots and she shleps the 180MM in a sling bag to switch to..and the kit lens does Post game Pressers & such...

Bill(DrFootball)

"you can Have my MAC when you pry it from my cold dead hands"

16-85 is a fine midrange DX zoom

The 14-24 if you are talking the lengedary and class leading Nikon FX zoom is way overkill IMHO for any DX camera :D

Thanks! Today she found a 16-85 and a 14-24 at one of our preferred vendors...It's possible we'll be picking up a lens this weekend since we sail next weekend! She's still leaning towards the new Tamron 18-270, but we might be able to swing 2 and then she'd get an ultra wide as well(so much for that "future Cruise Credit")

Mostly she's shooting On Field stuff with the 70-300 & using the 150-500 for "through the Endzone" shots and she shleps the 180MM in a sling bag to switch to..and the kit lens does Post game Pressers & such...

Bill(DrFootball)

"you can Have my MAC when you pry it from my cold dead hands"

Just realize that the superzooms may not be optically as good as moderate magnification zooms or primes.

I have the Nikon 18-200 that I take on cruises as it is a lot lighter than my 80-200mm f/2.8.

But it suffers at apertures less than f/8. The sharpness varies along the focal length. At f/8 though, it is pretty close to my better performance - but heavier lenses.

So I consider the lens a daylight only lens, and for cruises, I am willing to trade the limitation of using the 18-200mm at f/8 vs. having to carry around heavier lenses.

And I suspect that the optical quality of the higher power superzooms deteriorate further. That is the main reason I limited my walk-around lens to the 18-200mm and did not go for the higher power Tamrons.

Chip: your prob. right on the 14-24. I'd rather she get a "dedicated" fisheye to do "true" Panoramics...But I'm only the "ed"..

AW,..thanks for the advice(and to all!). I think since she gets a discount at 1 paticular vendor through her Day Job, and the Tamron 18-270 is on sale right now w/a rebate,..plus her 15%...

Bill(DrFootball)

"Forget about your troubles folks, It's all about Good Rock & Roll, Frying Tires, and Football…" Coach Jerry Glanville

• 2 weeks later...
I have the Tamron 18-270 PZD for my Nikon D300. It is a good all around lens with the understanding that an all in one is never going to be super sharp. It is a 15x lens which is asking a lot of one lens. It is sharpest at 200mm or less. I had the earlier model Tamron 18-270. It had problems with auto focus in low light, low contrast and at 270mm. The PZD is much better. The PZD is smaller and lighter. It's a lens you can leave on all day. On a recent trip to Europe I took the Tamron, Tokina 12-24mm and a Nikon 50mm 1.4. I'm not sure I used anything but the Tamron. On one typical day I shot about 175 frames. On the short end 22 were at 18mm and 24 between 18mm/25mm. On the long end, 2 were at 270mm, 2 at 250mm and 12 between 100/185 mm. The bulk were in the 25mm to 100mm range.

Did you have an problems with auto focus in low light with the len or any auto focus problems at all ? Looking at adding a new len to my collection for our Holy Land cruise.

You have not said what other lenses you have

but I would spring for a good wide angle lens before I bought either of the other lenses.

The guy who dies with the longest strongest tele lens....wins?

Sometimes I think that's the game most ppl play

But a Sigma 10-20

and discover how to go the other direction along the focal length scale.

Nothing catches the ambiance of a place (if any exists) like a very wide angle.

• 2 weeks later...
Did you have an problems with auto focus in low light with the len or any auto focus problems at all ? Looking at adding a new len to my collection for our Holy Land cruise.

The Tamron 18-270 is fine at f8 or smaller. Quality on par with the Nikon consumer lenses. I use is for day football games. It would be great for cruise ports.

Agree with others that must have lenses are a 1.8 normal and a super wide zoom, like the Tokina 11 - 16 f2.8

I would recommend the 18-270mm for sure, as a very ideal walkaround lens option that covers an excellent range. How usable it is throughout various extremes of its range are very much dependent on the photographer, the camera, and even slight variations in the lens itself - but I've found with my 18-250mm (the previous lens made by Tamron before the 18-270, mine being badged in Sony regalia despite being made by Tamron) I can use it to very good result from the 18mm end right through to the 250mm end, and find it quite usable even wide open for low light and night situations, both handheld high ISO and tripod mounted long exposure. I have many other lenses, but the 18-250mm is my default, go-to lens, walkaround solution, lightweight travel solution, and functions as my kit lens since I bought my cameras all body-only. While it may not always match a dedicated prime at a particular focal length, it can be extremely sharp and crisp in middle apertures and focals, and still plenty usable wide open, full wide and full tele. You can get an idea that I've used mine for nearly every conceivable type of shooting condition at some point or another in my 18-250mm gallery...about 1,400 thumbnails to choose from:

http://www.pbase.com/zackiedawg/sony_sal18250mm_f3563&page=all

When I know what I'll be shooting and what focal length or range I need, I'll bring a prime or shorter range zoom, or a faster lens, but it's nice having the type of lens that you know can, in a pinch, shoot almost anything if needed.

BTW - ultrawides are lots of fun too - so if you can swing one of those also, do it! I thoroughly enjoy shooting with a 10-24mm UWA for architectures, interiors, and night shots.

BTW - ultrawides are lots of fun too - so if you can swing one of those also, do it! I thoroughly enjoy shooting with a 10-24mm UWA for architectures, interiors, and night shots.

Last month, on some other threads, there was a good bit of discussion about the fun of shooting with ultra wides, and I noted that a good friend of mine who is a real photographer insisted that I take her Nikon 12-24mm lens on my then upcoming cruise to Bermuda aboard the NCL Gem. (Nice to have such friends! :)) I was really looking forward to this opportunity to play around with a UWA inside a cruise ship, and indeed, it was fun and interesting (and my friend might not get her lens back. LOL!).

Here's the atrium on the Gem, at 12mm (and yes, the colors really are that garish):

AtriumontheGem_01.jpg

(photo by turtles06)

• 2 weeks later...

Archived