Seattle Connection - Is this possible?

LEtue

Two days after booking a FF ticket for my Alaska cruise - Delta does a schedule change that eliminates the possibility of me getting home the same day.

I called yesterday to discuss options and there were none. Before I allow them to change me to a red-eye I wanted to do some research and think about overnighting. However, I discovered one option.....

I found a flight from YVR to SEA (Alaska/Horizon) that would still work with my 2nd and 3rd leg flights but it only has a 35 minute connection in SEA. Looking at the terminal map the gates both airlines use are located close together. Does this make the connection doable? I can check my bags in YVR so I don't have to depend on retrieving anything that may not fit in an overhead compartment but is this still too risky?

I can't find information on the recommended connection time in SEA but knowing ATL is 40 minutes I'm guessing that 35 in SEA might work.

All feedback is appreciated!

I haven't been in SEA in 10 years so I can't comment there, but I will say that I'd rather spend the cash for a hotel room for a night than take a redeye. Because you don't really sleep well on the overnight flight (unless you can book F/C, then it's not terrible), you still lose a day when you get home. In my opinion it's better to spend the day exploring Seattle and take the earliest flight possible the next morning, get home at a decent hour, get a good nights sleep and start fresh the following day. My two cents.

I haven't been in SEA in 10 years so I can't comment there, but I will say that I'd rather spend the cash for a hotel room for a night than take a redeye. Because you don't really sleep well on the overnight flight (unless you can book F/C, then it's not terrible), you still lose a day when you get home. In my opinion it's better to spend the day exploring Seattle and take the earliest flight possible the next morning, get home at a decent hour, get a good nights sleep and start fresh the following day. My two cents.

Thanks for your comments unfortunately I don't sleep any better in a hotel than on a plane :( Also, even using the earliest flight out it would take me all day to get back to Tampa so that is not really appealing. If any of my travel companions were overnighting - I might consider it but seeing SEA alone doesn't sound like much fun either and I have spent time there before.....

You may make it, but your bags may not. Seattle is BUSY and are you certain the gates are fixed?? Is this all on one ticket? With your trip over, it won't impact on you missing any tour, so less of a risk to consider.

You may make it, but your bags may not. Seattle is BUSY and are you certain the gates are fixed?? Is this all on one ticket? With your trip over, it won't impact on you missing any tour, so less of a risk to consider.

Thanks so much for your response....I always love reading your posts!

I would check my bag in Vancouver so if it doesn't make it back to Tampa with me - no problem.

All of my flights would be on one Delta ticket so they would know I was connecting. The on time % for this flight is 61% and 23% plus 30 minutes or more so they probably wait for connections often???

The gates appear to be fixed by the airport map. Of course I won't know which specific gates I would need to go between but the location of the ones used by Alaska/Horizon and Delta are located in the same area.

I normally wouldn't risk it but knowing it is on the way home - I kind of feel there is less risk also.

Most flights don't routinely wait for connections. A 35 minute connection at SEA is possible, but of course, only if your first flight arrives on time. There would be absolutely no room for error. Sit as close to the front of the plane as possible.

Most flights don't routinely wait for connections. A 35 minute connection at SEA is possible, but of course, only if your first flight arrives on time. There would be absolutely no room for error.

Sure, and I'm hoping that a 55 minute flight from YVR would usually be on time knowing how airlines add extra time to prevent reporting late arrivals....

Kind of sounds like I'm trying to talk myself into this scenario but I'm really just trying to do a sanity check to see if this is even realistic :confused:

Thanks for your feedback!

Is your connecting flight from Seattle on Alaska or Delta? Many Alaska flights carry Delta "codeshare" flight numbers, and vice-versa. If your outbound flight is actually on Delta equipment, then you'd need to get from the Horizon gates to the Delta gates (South Satellite, accessed by train) - which I don't think you could manage.

If it's an Alaska flight, then the gates are definitely not static and in fact may well entail a train ride, this time to the North Satellite, where Alaska is migrating over the coming year.

Since Alaska and Delta have reasonably complete access to each others' frequent flyer inventory, then my presumption would be that their system would look at the connection you proposed and discard it if it falls below "minimum connection times" established for domestic>domestic and international>domestic (or domestic>international) plane changes. I'd be surprised if 35 min. falls into their minimums; I don't see any connections at SEA of less than 45 min.

Because you also clear US customs and immigration at Vancouver before you take off, the Seattle connection will be treated as a domestic>domestic one.

In numerous Horizon flights between Vancouver and Seattle I don't recall being on time once, and early... never. And carry-ons bigger than a ladies' handbag have to use the "a la cart" baggage trolly located next to the plane, and fetching a bag almost always makes you the last person into the terminal.

So I wouldn't be optimistic at all that 35 min. will work.

Two days after booking a FF ticket for my Alaska cruise - Delta does a schedule change that eliminates the possibility of me getting home the same day.

I called yesterday to discuss options and there were none. Before I allow them to change me to a red-eye I wanted to do some research and think about overnighting. However, I discovered one option.....

I found a flight from YVR to SEA (Alaska/Horizon) that would still work with my 2nd and 3rd leg flights but it only has a 35 minute connection in SEA. Looking at the terminal map the gates both airlines use are located close together. Does this make the connection doable? I can check my bags in YVR so I don't have to depend on retrieving anything that may not fit in an overhead compartment but is this still too risky?

I can't find information on the recommended connection time in SEA but knowing ATL is 40 minutes I'm guessing that 35 in SEA might work.

All feedback is appreciated!

QX/Horizon flights from YVR-SEA are pre-cleared US Immigration/Customs from Vancouver, so there wont be any delay there. You'll arrive into SEA at the C2 gate complex, and depending on your outbound flight, it will be from C/D or N (if it's an AS flight), or from A (DL). If you know what you're doing it's probably OK, just dont dawdle, or bring large carryons onto the YVR-SEA leg (as they'll be airside checked, and you'll have to wait for them before transferring)

You guys are fantastic and thanks for all the responses! It seems that even though that both are Delta flights (code share from YVR) the 35 minutes is too risky. I'm sure that is the reason this option didn't show up and why they didn't offer it as a solution :(

So, now I have to decide whether or not to opt for the red-eye or stay overnight.

QX/Horizon flights from YVR-SEA are pre-cleared US Immigration/Customs from Vancouver, so there wont be any delay there. You'll arrive into SEA at the C2 gate complex, and depending on your outbound flight, it will be from C/D or N (if it's an AS flight), or from A (DL). If you know what you're doing it's probably OK, just dont dawdle, or bring large carryons onto the YVR-SEA leg (as they'll be airside checked, and you'll have to wait for them before transferring)

Thanks for responding! Based on the flights available and your information I would have to travel from the C2 gate complex to A for my outbound Delta flight.

I won't have any carryon bag since I am familiar with airside check in procedures and the need to wait to retrieve it (learned that lesson the first time I visited my son in TX - on a connection). Going home makes it easy enough to part with it and let is arrive anytime ;)

So, still lots to think about. Amazing how much difference 5 minutes can make since I am just under the minimum of 40 minutes for connections. :(

Getting back to Florida after an Alaska cruise can be a huge pain. One couple I know who booked cruise air were routed via LAX on the 4th of July and arrived back in Tampa so tired they could have cried.

Late night flights out of Vancouver do not pre-clear US Customs and Immigration. You need to find out what time that all shuts down.

I would (my own opinion entirely) do the red eye, but I'm used to such things.

Getting back to Florida after an Alaska cruise can be a huge pain. One couple I know who booked cruise air were routed via LAX on the 4th of July and arrived back in Tampa so tired they could have cried.

Late night flights out of Vancouver do not pre-clear US Customs and Immigration. You need to find out what time that all shuts down.

I would (my own opinion entirely) do the red eye, but I'm used to such things.

Thanks Penny. I'm in agreement that the red-eye is better than overnighting since I am always ready to be home after vacation. Funny you mention the connection through LAX because that is my best option. It leaves YVR at 6:30 p.m. and just makes the one stop - then right into TPA.

Thanks for tip on U.S. Customs. Of course I will have time to do that in LAX but that could be an adventure I want to avoid :eek:

All of my flights would be on one Delta ticket so they would know I was connecting. The on time % for this flight is 61% and 23% plus 30 minutes or more so they probably wait for connections often???

The gates appear to be fixed by the airport map. Of course I won't know which specific gates I would need to go between but the location of the ones used by Alaska/Horizon and Delta are located in the same area.

Personally I'd be less concerned with "is it physically possible to get from arrival gate to departure gate with a 35 min connection" and more concerned with the fact that even a minor 10 or so minute delay on your initial flight would essentially guarantee a missed connection.

Never assume gates are fixed; anything could happen.

If you decide to go for it, sit as close as you possibly can to the front of the plane for a quicker exit, and check anything that won't fit under the seat in front of you.

Personally I'd be less concerned with "is it physically possible to get from arrival gate to departure gate with a 35 min connection" and more concerned with the fact that even a minor 10 or so minute delay on your initial flight would essentially guarantee a missed connection.

Never assume gates are fixed; anything could happen.

If you decide to go for it, sit as close as you possibly can to the front of the plane for a quicker exit, and check anything that won't fit under the seat in front of you.

Oh, I never assume anything and I don't know the gates - just the terminals and the distance between.

Without luggage I know I can cover the distance but the problem is (as you mentioned) there is no guarantee of an on time arrival - so that remains the big risk :(

Thanks Penny. I'm in agreement that the red-eye is better than overnighting since I am always ready to be home after vacation. Funny you mention the connection through LAX because that is my best option. It leaves YVR at 6:30 p.m. and just makes the one stop - then right into TPA.

Thanks for tip on U.S. Customs. Of course I will have time to do that in LAX but that could be an adventure I want to avoid :eek:

A 6:30 flight out of YVR will be pre-cleared. It's only the stuff that leaves around 11pm that isn't. Easy way of checking on the YVR website, if it leaves from a E gate, it's pre-cleared whereas C&D are intl non-preclearance.

It seems that even though that both are Delta flights (code share from YVR) the 35 minutes is too risky. I'm sure that is the reason this option didn't show up and why they didn't offer it as a solution
It's not just "too risky"; it's "illegal" and therefore can't be booked, for the reason given by wrp96. In fact, for the connection you were looking at, the official minimum connecting time would probably have been 60 minutes.

A 6:30 flight out of YVR will be pre-cleared. It's only the stuff that leaves around 11pm that isn't. Easy way of checking on the YVR website, if it leaves from a E gate, it's pre-cleared whereas C&D are intl non-preclearance.

Thanks for the information! That is good to know :)

Thanks for your comments unfortunately I don't sleep any better in a hotel than on a plane :( Also, even using the earliest flight out it would take me all day to get back to Tampa so that is not really appealing. If any of my travel companions were overnighting - I might consider it but seeing SEA alone doesn't sound like much fun either and I have spent time there before.....

Not clear to me what your original itinerary was. Was it a Delta flight from YVR? Would they change your itinerary free of charge? Would you need to drop the first leg? Would the new YVR-SEA flight be a separately purchased flight (i.e., would you have to retrieve your bags at SEA and check them in again? if you miss the connection, then what?). Is 35 mins. a legal connection time? If, as suggested agove, it's not a legal connection time, and you're trying to fit two separate itineraries together, it's too risky. Even if the rep at the Alaska Airlines check-in counter at YVR were to tag your bags to your final destination (upon you showing your full itinerary, though they'd likely refuse if it's not a legal connection time), they might not be able to give you your Delta boarding pass and, more importantly, if you missed your connection you'd really have no recourse with Delta. You need to confirm these things with your airlines.

On Expedia, using a random date for next June, I found a Delta flight from YVR to LAX at 6:30 p.m., connecting to a flight to TPA. If Delta okays the short connection at SEA, and can assure you you'd be put on another flight should you miss the connection (and that they'd pay for a hotel if required), then I might go for it, otherwise no. But that's me.

Overnighting at SEA wouldn't necessarily equal seeing SEA, alone or otherwise,, since the Seattle-Tacoma airport is several miles from the city (30-40 mins. by light rail, as I recall). Lots of hotels near the airport. We stayed at the Hilton, across the street from the airport, through Priceline. Had a great meal at the upscale restaurant there.

Is 35 mins. a legal connection time?
I've re-checked the MCT. It's 60 minutes for what the OP wants to do, so the 35-minute suggestion is well beyond what's permissible. It's not actually the case that:-
I have to go to LAX and take a red-eye home because of 5 minutes.

Personally, I would seriously consider doing the short connection based on a few risk considerations. Knowing that you will be pre-cleared for customs and that you will not run into having to gate check a bag are important to knowing you will be able to get on your way soon after landing. Sitting near the front is important too.

In my experience and opinion, I think it is always possible to make it from one gate to another in 30 minutes as long as you can deplane and be moving through the concourse without delay. I've made it from absolutely one end to the other - farthest gates in farthest concourses - in ATL in 30 minutes.

The risks are these:

• Your checked bag doesn't make it. Not nearly as big a deal on the flight home as it is on the flight to your cruise.

• Your plane is delayed. You will probably miss your connection, but maybe not. I bet that at least half of my delayed flights that should cause a missed connection based on schedule do not actually cause the missed connection because the connecting flight is also running late.

• You do miss your connection. This is the only place that risk-averseness should be in play, IMO. If you miss your connection, you may be stuck in SEA for awhile trying to find space on a later flight. If you would wait longer for a flight than for the redeye, you lost the gamble. If you could get on the redeye as an alternative (or the flight the next day with a hotel for the night), then you are in the same position you were.

So to me, it looks like taking the 35 minute connection has a good chance of being break-even or better. You may end up better or in the same spot. I think the chances of doing significantly worse than the redeye or next day are not that high.

And, most importantly, as you said the risk for getting home is not the same as the risk for getting to the ship on time. I sought out 4 and 5-hour layovers on my trip to the port. I didn't care much at all about layovers coming back.

Good luck!

Personally, I would seriously consider doing the short connection based on a few risk considerations.

So to me, it looks like taking the 35 minute connection has a good chance of being break-even or better.

It is not possible to book the 35-minute connection because it is illegal.

That, for the OP, is really the beginning and end of the story.

CORRECTIONS ALERT:

You'll arrive into SEA at the C2 gate complex, and depending on your outbound flight, it will be from C/D or N (if it's an AS flight), or from A (DL).
Delta only operates a few flights from the A concourse after the merger with NW. Virtually all DL flights use the South Satellite. There are a few that overflow to "A" in the "noon rush" when they run out of gates out on "S". And, when they are on "A", they are in the farthest out gates at the end of the concourse.

Funny you mention the connection through LAX because that is my best option. It leaves YVR at 6:30 p.m. and just makes the one stop - then right into TPA.

If you are talking about an AS-DL connection at LAX....BEWARE. I've done that a few times lately and have some news: It is a much longer process than before. First off, the bus needs to take a LONG drive back into the hangar area because of the construction at the TBIT. At least a 12 minute bus ride, and longer if there is traffic. Next, there seem to be fewer buses making the trip. You have up to a 20 minute wait between buses. You also have to walk up and down at least 20 steps on each end, with one of those being outdoors.

The alternative is to walk across the parking garages between T3 and T5, but you then have to wait for another security screening at the new terminal.

It is not possible to book the 35-minute connection because it is illegal.

That, for the OP, is really the beginning and end of the story.

True, if it really is on one ticket, and this is too short of a MCT, they can't book it. And, you'd be crazy to book this on two separate tickets.

I fly through SEA all the time though, and I would book this on one ticket if it was on the way home, I was allowed to do so, and I was traveling by myself.

Archived