Bye, Bye Carnival...........

nycruise

As you can see from my signature, we have been Carnival cruisers for over 20 years and have completed 8 cruises with Carnival. Sad to say that our cruise on the Magic will probably be our last for a long time to come. We have been on both the Dream and the Magic and have to agree with those who say the decor is dated (looks like the early 90's) and cheesy. In my opinion the ships are nothing special, just larger versions of what came before, essentially passenger haulers.

We took the 9 day European cruise and must say that the ports and the weather were both about as good as you can get. As such, if we just considered the Magic a floating hotel it surely served it's purpose. Everything on the ship is new and clean as you would expect from a new ship. I will give Carnival kudos for the tours, which we took in every port, and organization of getting us on and off the ship each day. Also the transfers from the airport to the hotel and on to the ship and back to the airport were well handled. Our cabin stewardess was about the best we've encountered.

But the ship itself was a disappointment. The layout of the food in the Lido is the worst I've seen in all of our 20+ cruises. You had to search out pancakes, french toast and waffles by the pool, while if you wanted yogurt or hot and cold cerial you had to wait on a separtate line and of course a 3rd line for omelets. The scrambled eggs are about as gross as you can get. Smoked Salmon wasn't served untile 11AM at the deli or from room service. This may work in the Caribbean but in Europe when you are eating a quick breakfast at 7 AM and going out on 10 hour tours; day after day, it was a major frustration. The selections on the buffet line for breakfast, lunch and dinner were either limited or repetitive as compared to other cruises from both Carnival and other lines.

What's with the passengers not using the hand sanitizer before entering the dining venues?? Other lines have a staff member stationed at the entrance to the Lido encouraging everyone to use it, one line even sprays it into your hands as you enter. I would guess 80% of the passengers never bothered to use it.

Also, talk about unhygienic, passengers filling up personal water bottles, jugs and thermos bottles with water, tea, coffee and other beverages, placing them right up to the lip of the spouts. Never once did a staff member say a word or was there a sign posted prohibiting the practice as we've seen on other ships. Now I know the second meaning of OBC, On-Board-Cold, which I'm still nursing here at home.

Something new in the dining room, dessert orders are taken up front with appetizer and entree. Heck that isn't even done in a diner. The service in the dining room was robotic and uneven, some nights making recommendations, offering a drink from the bar waiter, offering ice tea, others not. I guess it goes along with the passenger's "casual dress", blue jeans, sneakers, t-shirts, shorts, flip-flops, etc. "Elegant" now means slacks and an open shirt for men with jeans being acceptable, how standards have sunk.

The food in all non-paying venues was acceptable but nothing more, you didn't look forward to eating as you do on most cruises. The one exception was Cucina Del Capitano, which we had for lunch on 2 separate occasions and thought it was top notch. The pizza is never ready and you have to wait no matter what time of day. Try getting a slice at 5:30AM, like I did, no one was manning the area, thought it was supposed to be 24 hours. Never had grilled chicken ready at the grill, only dogs and burgers, it's difficult to eat healthy on Carnival.

The T.V. feed in the room was limited and repetitive, showing the same programs over and over for the entire 9 days. How many times can I watch a show on the virtures of Macedonia??

The cruise director was nothing special.

Never heard an announcement from the bridge the entire cruise.

Two nights we had rough seas, the ship shook in such a way as to keep you awake all night, strange. We're used to the rocking of a ship in rough seas but not the actually shaking of the bed as if it had a vibrator in it.

Lot's of other issues but I won't bore you with them.

We thought Carnival reached it's peak for us in 2008 on the Freedom in Europe. It was a top notch product exceeding our expectations. The Dream in 2009 was a bit disappointing but the food was still as good as or better than other lines. But in 2011, when compared to Princess and Celebrity, which we took earlier this year, there was no comparison or I should say Carnival suffered by comparison.

Won't say we would never take Carnival again but it would have to be on a special itinerary, not one that other lines are sailing. I think it's worth the extra $$ for a better experience.

Just my opinion of course.

Grilled chicken was never at the grill, only the chicken fingers. its at the pizza window, with ceasar salad usually, but Im sure they would give it by itself.

My TA was on Magic and got off last sunday and he liked the steakhouse, but complained about this balcony. He said Celebrity and RCL they have air tight locks on the balcony doors. His door on the Magic, the wind made it whistle all night and it drove him so crazy it sounds like it was a major deal to him. He wants to know why Carnival doesnt make the balcony doors air tight like other cruiselines (we know Carnvial builds these ships cheaper, and I guess its little things like this that show)

Knowing all this your cruise sounds typical to me .. I will still do Carnival.

My room was on deck 7, two floors above Red Frog. When I closed my door, I never heard the band or howling winds.

I absolutely loved the Magic, never had trouble with breakfast or lines for food in any way.

Sorry you had a bad experience. I can't wait to get back on in April from Galveston

What's with the passengers not using the hand sanitizer before entering the dining venues?? Other lines have a staff member stationed at the entrance to the Lido encouraging everyone to use it, one line even sprays it into your hands as you enter. I would guess 80% of the passengers never bothered to use it.

Didn't get thru your whole post because it seemed like minor annoyances to me, but I have to comment on the hand sanitizer thing. I never use the sanitizers ever........just don't like them. However we always visit the restroom and wash our hands with soap and water before entering any food venue. Hope that explains why some of us pass on the sanitizer.

Watching everyone that comes in and trying to guess the percentage of people that use the sanitizer....well is truly weird and bizarre to say the least IMHO......

Yep, some of what you complain about is just the way Carnival does things. I think I saw a post that says Princess is your favorite. So yea, Carnival's decor is different. Dress code is different.

Many of your comments about the passengers and the buffet, I found to be true on Princess as well.

Thanks for the information on Magic; I am hesitating to book it just because of the number of passengers which I think makes for more of difference than the cruise line.

As you can see from my signature, we have been Carnival cruisers for over 20 years and have completed 8 cruises with Carnival. Sad to say that our cruise on the Magic will probably be our last for a long time to come. We have been on both the Dream and the Magic and have to agree with those who say the decor is dated (looks like the early 90's) and cheesy. In my opinion the ships are nothing special, just larger versions of what came before, essentially passenger haulers.

We took the 9 day European cruise and must say that the ports and the weather were both about as good as you can get. As such, if we just considered the Magic a floating hotel it surely served it's purpose. Everything on the ship is new and clean as you would expect from a new ship. I will give Carnival kudos for the tours, which we took in every port, and organization of getting us on and off the ship each day. Also the transfers from the airport to the hotel and on to the ship and back to the airport were well handled. Our cabin stewardess was about the best we've encountered.

But the ship itself was a disappointment. The layout of the food in the Lido is the worst I've seen in all of our 20+ cruises. You had to search out pancakes, french toast and waffles by the pool, while if you wanted yogurt or hot and cold cerial you had to wait on a separtate line and of course a 3rd line for omelets. The scrambled eggs are about as gross as you can get. Smoked Salmon wasn't served untile 11AM at the deli or from room service. This may work in the Caribbean but in Europe when you are eating a quick breakfast at 7 AM and going out on 10 hour tours; day after day, it was a major frustration. The selections on the buffet line for breakfast, lunch and dinner were either limited or repetitive as compared to other cruises from both Carnival and other lines.

Also, talk about unhygienic, passengers filling up personal water bottles, jugs and thermos bottles with water, tea, coffee and other beverages, placing them right up to the lip of the spouts. Never once did a staff member say a word or was there a sign posted prohibiting the practice as we've seen on other ships. Now I know the second meaning of OBC, On-Board-Cold, which I'm still nursing here at home.

Something new in the dining room, dessert orders are taken up front with appetizer and entree. Heck that isn't even done in a diner. The service in the dining room was robotic and uneven, some nights making recommendations, offering a drink from the bar waiter, offering ice tea, others not. I guess it goes along with the passenger's "casual dress", blue jeans, sneakers, t-shirts, shorts, flip-flops, etc. "Elegant" now means slacks and an open shirt for men with jeans being acceptable, how standards have sunk.

The food in all non-paying venues was acceptable but nothing more, you didn't look forward to eating as you do on most cruises. The one exception was Cucina Del Capitano, which we had for lunch on 2 separate occasions and thought it was top notch. The pizza is never ready and you have to wait no matter what time of day. Try getting a slice at 5:30AM, like I did, no one was manning the area, thought it was supposed to be 24 hours. Never had grilled chicken ready at the grill, only dogs and burgers, it's difficult to eat healthy on Carnival.

The T.V. feed in the room was limited and repetitive, showing the same programs over and over for the entire 9 days. How many times can I watch a show on the virtures of Macedonia??

Two nights we had rough seas, the ship shook in such a way as to keep you awake all night, strange. We're used to the rocking of a ship in rough seas but not the actually shaking of the bed as if it had a vibrator in it.

We thought Carnival reached it's peak for us in 2008 on the Freedom in Europe. It was a top notch product exceeding our expectations. The Dream in 2009 was a bit disappointing but the food was still as good as or better than other lines. But in 2011, when compared to Princess and Celebrity, which we took earlier this year, there was no comparison or I should say Carnival suffered by comparison.

Won't say we would never take Carnival again but it would have to be on a special itinerary, not one that other lines are sailing. I think it's worth the extra $$ for a better experience.

You are trying to compare Carnival to Princess and Celebrity??? Seriously???!!

Years ago after I hit Platinum on Carnival I felt that I had personally outgrew the line and it's ships. Just like a relationship where you say "it's not you, it's me". I graduated over the next dozen years through Princess, Holland-America, Royal Caribbean, Cruise West and Cunard until I found a new home with Celebrity Cruises.

It happens to some of us that we just need different surroundings as we 'mature' in our cruise expectations. Not that there is anything wrong with Carnival, millions of people happily cruise them every year and keep coming back.

No real need to shed tears as you part ways, just leave. I did and never looked back. Well, not all together true. Even earlier this year when I was looking for a new cruise I looked at every option from Baltimore and NYC down to FLL and Miami. I just couldn't see me back on a Carnival ship. And that's fine. Carnival isn't for everyone. This year it's a B2B cruise on the Celebrity Millennium, maybe in 2012/2013 I'll look at Princess Cruises again.

Isn't it great to have so many choices in the cruise industry? ;)

Just came off the Paradise- wasn't offered Desert menu until after our appetizer & main course was served & eaten, so I don't see how you could order the desert ahead? (unless of course you memorized the posted menu while waiting to go in).

I'm happy you've found something more satisfying.

We just came back from the Victory , I would have to agree the food was ahhhh ok in MDR nothing special we have been gone for about 2 years from Carnival , our waiters seemed like it was an effort every night to wait on us first cruise ever I had to remind them every night that 3 of us wanted coffee the same 3 ordered black coffee with out dessert every night and every night they would ask and every night they would forget one of us, small potatos to me but it just seemed they didnt give a crap.

As you can see we have booked the Liberty , I book for price it was to good to pass up and its getting the new look.

There was a lot of good on the ship loved the stops , but there was a lot of cutbacks that I noticed , but for the price still a good vacation.

Didn't get thru your whole post because it seemed like minor annoyances to me, but I have to comment on the hand sanitizer thing. I never use the sanitizers ever........just don't like them. However we always visit the restroom and wash our hands with soap and water before entering any food venue. Hope that explains why some of us pass on the sanitizer.

Watching everyone that comes in and trying to guess the percentage of people that use the sanitizer....well is truly weird and bizarre to say the least IMHO......

I saw nothing major either. Maybe it's time for him to "graduate" to higher prices, then complain about choppy waters. I recently got off a cruise on another line, now that food was to not be thrilled about, whether dining room or buffet. I was shocked to say the least. Made Carnival look like the Waldorf.

As for using the sanitizers, they are for show, no matter what cruiseline. The cruise I was on had so many I said "OMG", even in the elevators! At eating venues you got squirted by an attendant. My thoughts are handwashing! But that's behind closed doors so it's not seen. To me, the sanitizers just "moves the dirt around". Kills bacteria, yes, not viruses that cause stomach ailments.

As dmwnc1959 said, maybe you've "outgrown" Carnival and there's nothing wrong with that. That's why there are so many cruise lines out there.

I have personally said a few times that I'm done with Carnival and that I'm ready for something more, yet I still find myself returning to them (most recently 2 weeks ago after I said 5 months before that I was done with them).

IMHO, your complaints about the cruise seem a bit petty, but maybe what you experienced was not the core of your unhappiness with Carnival, but the straw that broke the camel's back...

Grilled chicken was never at the grill, only the chicken fingers. its at the pizza window, with ceasar salad usually, but Im sure they would give it by itself.

My TA was on Magic and got off last sunday and he liked the steakhouse, but complained about this balcony. He said Celebrity and RCL they have air tight locks on the balcony doors. His door on the Magic, the wind made it whistle all night and it drove him so crazy it sounds like it was a major deal to him. He wants to know why Carnival doesnt make the balcony doors air tight like other cruiselines (we know Carnvial builds these ships cheaper, and I guess its little things like this that show)

We've had that same wind squeal around the balcony door on other ships on breezy nights, it is certainly annoying.

Maybe in the end Carnival is not your cruise line. I can imagine if you went earlier this year on both Celebrity and Princess you are a bit disappointed.

When I cruised Carnival for the first time in Sept 2007 on the Destiny I was two weeks before on the Caribbean Princess...man o man that was a huge disappointment for me. I thought this will be my first and last Carnival cruise.

Well 4 years later I have been on 7 other Carnival cruises (bigger ships) and just came 2 weeks ago from the Glory ,so an avg of 2 Carnival ships per year. Not bad! but I have cruised 6 other lines as well in the meanwhile and even became a diamond member on RCI.

To make a long story short I have to totally agree to you about the food on Carnival it's just acceptable. And what they do best (together with NCL) is trying to sell you all kind of stuff (nickle and diming)but thanks god to my selective hearing it doesn't bother me anymore.

of all the cruise lines I have cruised I put Carnival at the bottom of the 7 and yes I still like them! I usually cruise Carnival when I get an amazing deal and my cost per day is less than $70 p/d. In that case I won't be complaining at all! and yes I will keep cruising with them in the future.

What's with the passengers not using the hand sanitizer before entering the dining venues??

I am highly allergic to the ingredients in some brands of hand sanitizers and so avoid them all. (My hands turn bright red, itch and become very painful.) My hands are washed properly before I enter the food area.

Don't judge on what you don't know. I can't be the only person a the ship that has these problems.

as you can see from my signature, we have been carnival cruisers for over 20 years and have completed 8 cruises with carnival. Sad to say that our cruise on the magic will probably be our last for a long time to come. We have been on both the dream and the magic and have to agree with those who say the decor is dated (looks like the early 90's) and cheesy. In my opinion the ships are nothing special, just larger versions of what came before, essentially passenger haulers.

We took the 9 day european cruise and must say that the ports and the weather were both about as good as you can get. As such, if we just considered the magic a floating hotel it surely served it's purpose. Everything on the ship is new and clean as you would expect from a new ship. I will give carnival kudos for the tours, which we took in every port, and organization of getting us on and off the ship each day. Also the transfers from the airport to the hotel and on to the ship and back to the airport were well handled. Our cabin stewardess was about the best we've encountered.

But the ship itself was a disappointment. The layout of the food in the lido is the worst i've seen in all of our 20+ cruises. You had to search out pancakes, french toast and waffles by the pool, while if you wanted yogurt or hot and cold cerial you had to wait on a separtate line and of course a 3rd line for omelets. The scrambled eggs are about as gross as you can get. Smoked salmon wasn't served untile 11am at the deli or from room service. This may work in the caribbean but in europe when you are eating a quick breakfast at 7 am and going out on 10 hour tours; day after day, it was a major frustration. The selections on the buffet line for breakfast, lunch and dinner were either limited or repetitive as compared to other cruises from both carnival and other lines.

What's with the passengers not using the hand sanitizer before entering the dining venues?? Other lines have a staff member stationed at the entrance to the lido encouraging everyone to use it, one line even sprays it into your hands as you enter. I would guess 80% of the passengers never bothered to use it.

Also, talk about unhygienic, passengers filling up personal water bottles, jugs and thermos bottles with water, tea, coffee and other beverages, placing them right up to the lip of the spouts. Never once did a staff member say a word or was there a sign posted prohibiting the practice as we've seen on other ships. Now i know the second meaning of obc, on-board-cold, which i'm still nursing here at home.

Something new in the dining room, dessert orders are taken up front with appetizer and entree. Heck that isn't even done in a diner. The service in the dining room was robotic and uneven, some nights making recommendations, offering a drink from the bar waiter, offering ice tea, others not. I guess it goes along with the passenger's "casual dress", blue jeans, sneakers, t-shirts, shorts, flip-flops, etc. "elegant" now means slacks and an open shirt for men with jeans being acceptable, how standards have sunk.

The food in all non-paying venues was acceptable but nothing more, you didn't look forward to eating as you do on most cruises. The one exception was cucina del capitano, which we had for lunch on 2 separate occasions and thought it was top notch. The pizza is never ready and you have to wait no matter what time of day. Try getting a slice at 5:30am, like i did, no one was manning the area, thought it was supposed to be 24 hours. Never had grilled chicken ready at the grill, only dogs and burgers, it's difficult to eat healthy on carnival.

The t.v. Feed in the room was limited and repetitive, showing the same programs over and over for the entire 9 days. How many times can i watch a show on the virtures of macedonia??

Lot's of other issues but i won't bore you with them.

We thought carnival reached it's peak for us in 2008 on the freedom in europe. It was a top notch product exceeding our expectations. The dream in 2009 was a bit disappointing but the food was still as good as or better than other lines. But in 2011, when compared to princess and celebrity, which we took earlier this year, there was no comparison or i should say carnival suffered by comparison.

Won't say we would never take carnival again but it would have to be on a special itinerary, not one that other lines are sailing. I think it's worth the extra $$ for a better experience.

bye!!

OK on the boat movement thing , we had the same thing on the Victory , which I found strange on a southern caribbean cruise and the waters looked very calm and this is not our first rodeo 13th cruise 4th out of San Juan , I have heard rumours Carnival had cut back on using there stablizers to save fuel , just asking could this be happening .

I disagree.

I used to be able to get a grilled chicken sandwich at the grille when DH got a burger or the steak sandwich. But.....sadly.....both the chicken and steak sandwich options have been discontinued. :(

I'm sorry the experience wasn't up to your par.

On the balcony door issue, mom & I had that on our Ecstasy cruise, but I noticed it only did it if the door wasn't locked. If we made sure it was locked, it didn't happen. Not sure though that it would work like that on all balcony doors though. On our Conquest cruise, it was never a problem either way.

I am highly allergic to the ingredients in some brands of hand sanitizers and so avoid them all. (My hands turn bright red, itch and become very painful.) My hands are washed properly before I enter the food area.

Don't judge on what you don't know. I can't be the only person a the ship that has these problems.

Nope, your not. If I use too much or certain ones, my hands get red & irritated too. I'm big on hand washing too.

I have heard rumours Carnival had cut back on using there stablizers to save fuel

Don't suppose you have a source you'd care to share with us for those rumors? Without a good source it becomes more akin to gossip.

You can't assume that ALL Carnival ships are the same. They are not. We are Platinum with Carnival. Some ships have issues others do not. Don't give up on Carnival quite so soon. Besides the only thing Royal about Royal Caribbean is the name. Same can be said for them. Some ships are good some are not.

While we never had the dessert order taken with our meal order, we did have a problem with the wind whistling thru our balcony door on Miracle. We would have to make sure the lock was properly engaged, and literally push the door to make sure the seal was tight. That solved the problem. Sorry to hear of all the minor issues that added up to be the straw that broke the camel's back. It does seem like you would enjoy the higher end cruises more at this time in your life. Enjoy your cruises - maybe some day we will see you back!

But in 2011, when compared to Princess and Celebrity, which we took earlier this year, there was no comparison or I should say Carnival suffered by comparison.

I'm sorry, did I miss a comparative sentence someplace in the OP's post?

Seems like a comparison to me.

Archived