Solo dressing

tmee

So I have a question. Any of you who travel solo how do you finish dressing? I mean the final zipper pull or clasp? When I have had a female stateroom attendant I have asked her, but I do not think I would feel comfortable asking a male... What do you do?

tmee

So I have a question. Any of you who travel solo how do you finish dressing? I mean the final zipper pull or clasp? When I have had a female stateroom attendant I have asked her, but I do not think I would feel comfortable asking a male... What do you do?

tmee

Hi:), I have been sailing solo for 8 years and am trying to think back

over all my cruises and if/when I have ever needed help. I do know

I have lived on my own for most of my adult life and do it all

myself here at home so maybe that is why I don't need assistance

on a cruise. I can do my own zipper and I rarely, if ever buy dresses

with a clasp in the back.

Many of my dresses don't have zippers anymore....pull over my

head:D;).

Usually there are female cabin attendants nowadays......if you

feel uncomfortbale, you could just try to find one of the gals and

ask them.

It is funny most every dress, casual or otherwise, I own has a zipper in the back and usually I can reach it with a lot twisting, but I can almost never get the hook at the top. Or sometimes I end up catching the zipper on the fabric

:)

Watches and bracelets are a problem too, so I end up leaving them behind.

I am looking through my closet and all of my "fomal" attire has zippers, clasps, or buttons in the back save one cocktail dress.

Maybe I just need to go shopping :)

Or I should create some sort of one person zipping tool :)

tmee

For ballroom dancing, when putting on these ball gowns alone you would not beleive how I wiggle into zippers and funny zig zag back straps....

What I have learned.... If you put a bobby pin in the zipper that works and if mid back that you cant reach just throw a large paperclip in you bag, bend it straight with just a hook on the end and from mid back you can do it yourself!!

If all else fails if you travel with a wrap put that around your back and head to the nearest ladies room... I find that Gals are so freindly on a cruise and would be glad to help you.

tmee

I travel solo and last year on a cruise took a cocktail dress with a back zipper. Before I left home I untwisted the top of an old wire clothes hanger and cut a couple of inches off, left the hook/curved end and put that end in my zipper and pulled the zipper up with the long part of the hangar. You would need to make sure the hole in the end of the zipper is big enough. If not, maybe a piece of thick wire?

Thank you so very much for your helpful solutions!! I like the zipper pull (there goes my million dollar invention lol), and I have to find that bracelet closer I can wear bracelets again :) a paperclip I would have never thought of that, and so tiny too!! I like the coathanger too less of a reach, and now I have a use for the dry cleaner hangers!!!

I knew I could not be the only one with this plight :), and you are right, smoothdancer, cruise ladies are a friendly bunch!!

Thank all of you again for your suggestions!

tmee

Here's what I've done......I put the garment over my head, backwards, and pull up the zipper, to about four inches from the top. I then turn the garment to the front, put my arms in the holes and pull the zipper up the rest if the way.

I don't buy anything I can't put on or get off by myself. This has never limited the clothing I buy. I guess I don't see how this is an issue...am I more flexible than most?

No, I am the same way:)....they make some wonderful clothing these

days that is very easy to put on by yourself:);)

If you open the zipper only as far as it takes to go over your head, then you can reach behind and zip it the whole way, yes even if you are 85 nearly 86 as I am.

I put on my dress, then place a towel around my shoulders to do my face,

The same thing I do when I am home and alone..I do it myself.

tmee

Try zipping a back (or sometimes even a side) zipper by yourself when you have sever Rheumatoid Arthritis pain in your shoulders......YIKES!!!!!! I could barely move my shoulders.

It happened to me on a cruise. I was doing fine but about midway through my cruise my RA acted up and I was unable to zip my back zip, black cocktail dress, so I ordered room service on my last formal night. I was not comfortable asking the steward I had during that sailing to do it for me, and had not seen a female that might help.

Archived