Is anything too small?

helpthejuggler

Someone once started a thread complaining that the cruise line sent out too many luggage tags.

Now THAT made me laugh out loud!

And a sidenote--Our last crusie was a three day and we got 12 luggage tags between us. I was amused by it but in the end glad I had at least one extra, because I didn't follow the directions and screwed the first one up. oops.

A few years ago someone started a thread inquiring about the "thread count" on the sheets!

Actually that's a legitimate question. I like high thread count sheets. They are softer. I hate staying in hotels with cheap sheets, I just don't sleep as well with a coarse pillowcase scratching my face all night.

I see this complaint also in hotel reviews :confused: If my 15-year-old tv dies, I will get a flatscreen. The same awful programming will still be broadcast, though, won't it?

I have six tv's in my house, only one is a flatscreen. I don't believe in tossing things out until they are actually non-repairable--or the repair will cost more than the item did to begin with (or in some cases what it's worth) which is the case with many analog tv's these days.

That's why two of the four cars owned by my household have over 100K miles on them. They still run, are still reliable, and are still in good condition cosmetically, what sense does it make to replace them?

Of course, satin sheets are smoother still -- but you would risk sliding out and onto the deck if there were any seas.

People just like to feel special -- must have own toilet paper, must bring own pillow, can only drink one particular brewer's beer or one very special whiskey (perhaps that last might be a pathetic stab at justifying smuggling).

Of course, satin sheets are smoother still -- but you would risk sliding out and onto the deck if there were any seas.

Actually they aren't--they are "prickly" feeling.

People just like to feel special -- must have own toilet paper, must bring own pillow, can only drink one particular brewer's beer or one very special whiskey (perhaps that last might be a pathetic stab at justifying smuggling).

And for some people with allergies, bringing their own pillow is a very real--and medically justifiable--need.

While I have a preference in TP, I'm not going to bring my own along. I do like to bring my own wine, as I prefer my wine with age on it, something that cruise ship wines don't provide.

I kid you not – years ago there was a post asking the color of the towels on the Grandeur of the Seas. Not sure why that is important to know - perhaps the OP need to complete the towel set a home. :D

I am really amazed at some of the questions on the boards especially regarding types of food on board. Hey - it is generally just a week, and sometimes less. Just for a few days, try a different brand of whatever – or do without! I guess if you have the luggage space and weight and are picky- go ahead and bring the salad dressing you prefer.

M

I kid you not – years ago there was a post asking the color of the towels on the Grandeur of the Seas. Not sure why that is important to know - perhaps the OP need to complete the towel set a home. :D

I'll give you, that one is really weird.

I am really amazed at some of the questions on the boards especially regarding types of food on board. Hey - it is generally just a week, and sometimes less. Just for a few days, try a different brand of whatever – or do without! I guess if you have the luggage space and weight and are picky- go ahead and bring the salad dressing you prefer.

M

For some it's an allergy issue. While cruise lines (and restaurants in general) have become a lot more aware and proactive about allergies and such, it hasn't always been that way. For people with Celiac disease, the brands of salad dressings offered is crucial info to know. They already can't eat a lot of the foods on board (wheat and gluten are in everything from ketchup to ice cream to potato chips, not just breads and cereals) and to take yet another food item away because the salad dressings all contain vinegar or gluten is limiting the menu even further. Just because it doesn't matter to you doesn't mean it's not a very real and justifiable concern for others.

My food allergies are fairly easy to work around, although I've had two new allergies pop up over the past couple of months, so down the road I might not be able to continue to say that. I might someday be the person asking if there is a certain brand of something available on board, because it's the only brand that is safe for me to eat.

I am really amazed at some of the questions on the boards especially regarding types of food on board. Hey - it is generally just a week, and sometimes less. Just for a few days, try a different brand of whatever

I especially like the ones about their significant other or kid that is a "picky eater" and are afraid that they will not have anything on the cruise that they will be able to eat.:rolleyes:

I have responded, "well, if it is 7 days or more, they are probably going to die, plan accordingly".

Actually they aren't--they are "prickly" feeling.

And for some people with allergies, bringing their own pillow is a very real--and medically justifiable--need.

While I have a preference in TP, I'm not going to bring my own along. I do like to bring my own wine, as I prefer my wine with age on it, something that cruise ship wines don't provide.

I am inclined to think that "prickly" satin sheets are probably not the best quality --"good" ones are so slick that you can easily wind up on the floor if you sit on the edge of the bed.

A particular vineyard or vintage may be important to you -- but if simple age is a major concern you should just pass over the ships' "specials" - Cunard, Holland America and Celebrity have all carried impressive varieties and vintages. I agree: "fresh" wines are generally not that exciting.

I feel I can learn something from some posts, and that I can contribute something to others who might be asking a question as I've been on pretty close to 200 cruises/transAtlantic sailings on just about every line. Sometimes the title of the thread catches my interest, but sometimes the title of the tread has either little to do with what that title is, or, if the OP is asking a ???, it goes off on a tangent that has nothing to do with what the tread is about or what the OP was asking. If you're going to change topics, start a new thread. On one of the other boards, folks frequently ask about the location of the piers in NYC. If the first poster posts the correct information, there doesn't seem to be a need for there to end up being 57 redundant posts. Maybe I'm getting just to crabby in my old age (LOL). I don't like to see folks flamed, either., and instead of flaming someone, if that person can't add something constructive, just go on to a different post. Sometimes when someone reads something someone else has posted, since you can't hear voice inflections, etc, you really don't know if someone is being sarcastic, poking fun or whatever. These boards should be fun! and a tool to help fellow cruisers........and I have been on deck 7 on the starboard side and on deck 8 on the port side, and there really wasn't any difference that made one a "better choice" over the other.

I am inclined to think that "prickly" satin sheets are probably not the best quality --"good" ones are so slick that you can easily wind up on the floor if you sit on the edge of the bed.

I don't care for satin either way. I love crisp, high thread count, Egyptian cotton. Preferably Frette, like I have at home. ;)

A particular vineyard or vintage may be important to you -- but if simple age is a major concern you should just pass over the ships' "specials" - Cunard, Holland America and Celebrity have all carried impressive varieties and vintages. I agree: "fresh" wines are generally not that exciting.

Age is certainly a factor, but so are vintage, winemaker, appellation, and pretty much everything that goes along with wine. I'm not really interested in sailing on the mass market lines you named above. Our next cruise is on Windstar, we're planning on Regent to Alaska and Australia/New Zealand in the foreseeable future as well. Bringing our own won't be a problem with either of them.

I don't care for satin either way. I love crisp, high thread count, Egyptian cotton. Preferably Frette, like I have at home. ;)

Age is certainly a factor, but so are vintage, winemaker, appellation, and pretty much everything that goes along with wine. I'm not really interested in sailing on the mass market lines you named above. Our next cruise is on Windstar, we're planning on Regent to Alaska and Australia/New Zealand in the foreseeable future as well. Bringing our own won't be a problem with either of them.

Wouldn't you consider your cruising choices to date: Disney and RCCL to be among "the mass market lines" in which you claim disinterest?

Come off it.

Wouldn't you consider your cruising choices to date: Disney and RCCL to be among "the mass market lines" in which you claim disinterest?

Come off it.

DCL isn't really mass market, it's a niche market that is a unique hybrid. Additionally DCL allows us to bring on as much wine as we choose.

RCCL is mass market, we cruised them once and never again. It was a terrible experience, and I've actually turned down a free cruise on them rather than give up days of my life to them ever again. had I known how pathetic their product is, there's no way I ever would ahve booked them to begin with. Unfortunately I listened to the "cheerleaders" instead of doing my own research. Shame on me. (By the way, when we sailed RCCL they still allowed people to carry on wine.)

And I love the way you selectively missed our upcoming cruises which are on decidedly not mass market lines.

The fallen Servicemen/women from the UK forces active in Iraq and Afghanistan are repatriated to the UK, their bodies are taken to the John Radcliffe Hospital in Oxford. Flights were temporarily diverted from RAF Brize Norton to RAF Lyneham which is close to Wootton Bassett.

The route to Oxford passes through the main street of Wootton Bassett. The coffins are covered with flags. Members of the Royal British Legion (the prominent UK veterans association) noted a procession and showed their respects. After inquiries they were informed of future repatriations and they started to attend each one. This grew as more local people joined them and friends, family and service colleagues attended. During repatriations the main street would become full of people. All this happened organically without official organisation. Further down the route others gathered as the cortege drove to Oxford. As the procession approaches Wootton Bassett they pause at St. Bartholomew’s church. The bell tolls as they move slowly to war memorial where people gather.

Until this year 355 Servicemen/women were honoured in over 150 repatriations. Earlier this year flights were returned to Brize Norton so the route no longer passes through Wootton Bassett.

Wootton Basset became Royal Wootton Bassett on 16-Oct-2011 when the honour was given to the town by Princess Anne. Over 14,000 people were present including the Prime Minister.

The Queen gave recognition for the way in which the town became the focus for the repatriations and has increased the support for those serving in the forces. This is the first ‘Royal’ award in over 100 years.

What an incredibly beautiful tribute to your fallen service men/women. Thank you for posting this. Well done. :)

There was the worried family flying to Europe for a few nights before taking a W. Med cruise.....but their child only ate a few items, and they were worried as to whether 2 brand names would be available overseas.

We had to reassure them, as both items were, in fact, European....and are easily bought in any supermarket.

What worried me more was the fact that the child refused to eat any other type, so they were having to stock up with food to take on the cruise...

Jo..

There was the worried family flying to Europe for a few nights before taking a W. Med cruise.....but their child only ate a few items, and they were worried as to whether 2 brand names would be available overseas.

We had to reassure them, as both items were, in fact, European....and are easily bought in any supermarket.

What worried me more was the fact that the child refused to eat any other type, so they were having to stock up with food to take on the cruise...

Jo..

Absolutely pathetic parenting.

I have never demanded my children eat anything. Here is what is for dinner, lunch, breakfast .... if you want, chow down. If not ...... no problem.

They are still alive. Also, they have learned to eat just about everything and anything.

But, again. I do not care if they eat or don't. Their choice.

Absolutely pathetic parenting.

I have never demanded my children eat anything. Here is what is for dinner, lunch, breakfast .... if you want, chow down. If not ...... no problem.

They are still alive. Also, they have learned to eat just about everything and anything.

But, again. I do not care if they eat or don't. Their choice.

My son had to at least "spell his name" in bites of something he allegedly didn't like. There were a few things he truly detested, and even now as an adult doesn't care for, including macaroni and cheese, brussel sprouts, olives, and grapefruit. But by making him at least try things, I found that the next time they were on the table he'd quite often eat them without a fuss. And like yours, he eats just about anything these days.

My son had to at least "spell his name" in bites of something he allegedly didn't like. There were a few things he truly detested, and even now as an adult doesn't care for, including macaroni and cheese, brussel sprouts, olives, and grapefruit. But by making him at least try things, I found that the next time they were on the table he'd quite often eat them without a fuss. And like yours, he eats just about anything these days.

I just see it too often. Parents make eating such a big deal.

Personally, to me it is a NO deal. You want to eat it? Fine.

You don't want to eat? Fine.

I do NOT care.

I have no comment, no opinion, no care. Whatever.

I just see it too often. Parents make eating such a big deal.

Personally, to me it is a NO deal. You want to eat it? Fine.

You don't want to eat? Fine.

I do NOT care.

I have no comment, no opinion, no care. Whatever.

I was raised during WW2; food was scare and rationed until the 1950s.

Picky children were very rare....you ate or you starved.

Today's children seem to have evolved different tastebuds....:p

Jo.

Thanks for this thread...too funny..

actually I was the one who asked about the creamer..not because I had to have it..just curious.. I do take some creamer packets with me when I go to early morning soccer games on a regular basis so it would just be a habit and nothing to do with the cruise line!!:D

I think if you let a kid go on a ship, they would eat when they were hungry and probably try new things if their parents weren't around. I have a vegan daughter and I think she will love being able to try some new things and not worry if she doesn't like them!!

No there is nothing too small and trivial to not ask on these boards. Nor any end to judgmental comments as to others comments or questions.

These people are on the ship as well, of course. I walk away, just as I just scan their concerns here and move on.

These people are on the ship as well, of course. I walk away, just as I just scan their concerns here and move on.

As I get older, I do a lot more of the walk away...not worth my energy to deal with the unhappy people...a smile makes everything better....why waste time being irritated???

I see this complaint also in hotel reviews :confused: If my 15-year-old tv dies, I will get a flatscreen. The same awful programming will still be broadcast, though, won't it?

When my ancient (bought in the 90s) kitchen TV stopped working last year, we got one of those little HD TVs that was nice. But since the broadcasting went digital, I no longer can receive some broadcast stations that I used to in the analog days. If I want to watch anything on the local ABC station, I have watch on the TV connected to the cable. Eventually my hubby might end up attaching this tv to the cable (which is quite a bit of work on his part), but in the meantime, if I'm cooking or doing other things in the kitchen, I have my pick of about four stations or so (and even then the signals can go in and out due to the mountain we live against) or a whole bunch of Korean and Spanish language stations.

Archived