Istanbul -Question

Hi -We are on a cruise .Any advice on sightseeing from port ?Are there any tour options in port as the Cruise company always rips people off !

Well, certainly look into guided tour options if that's your preference. I personally rarely use them. But just in case you're interested, Istanbul can easily be done "on your own" as well. A great public tram rail line runs very close to the cruise port area and you can use it to reach the major sightseeing area in about 10 minutes. It's also possible to walk that same distance, but it's probably a 45 minute walk or so. But it's a walk thru a very interesting (and safe) path -- along the waterfront, over a great bridge, thru a commercial area, etc. I did all my sightseeing on foot or tram.

Hi -We are on a cruise .Any advice on sightseeing from port ?Are there any tour options in port as the Cruise company always rips people off !

We were just there last week on Tues and Wed. We did our own thing for a day and a half. I suggest you read the Istanbul chapter of Rick Steves Mediterranean Cruise Ports guidebook (and also the other chapters about any other ports you will visit). I also listened to his podcasts where he discusses Istanbul with tour guides who live there (available from iTunes). Doing that greatly influenced how we approached Istanbul.

Here's what we did.

Early off the ship we walked about a mile from the ship across the Galata Bridge to the Spice Market and wandered through there as shopkeepers were just opening. Then we rode the tram up to the Sultanahmet stop and went through the Hagia Sophia, Blue Mosque, and Basilica Cistern (all close to each other). We explored the Sultanahmet area just behind the Blue Mosque and ate a nice lunch in an outdoor cafe there. Then we walked about a half mile to the Grand Bazaar, but only spent about 45 minutes there, because we saw the same things over and over and couldn't really bring anything back anyway due to luggage limits. Walked another 1/2 mile to the Suleyman the Magnificent mosque, which is really beautiful and very different from the Blue Mosque. Walked from there down the crowded back streets back towards the Spice Market. These streets are filled with little shops where the locals do their shopping, and are very interesting. Took the tram all the way to the last stop (late afternoon by now) and took the funicular to Taksim Sq and Istiklal Cadesi, which is the heart of modern Istanbul, where the locals go in the evening. Istiklal Cadesi (JAH-deh-see - means "street") is a big pedestrian only street with dept stores, cafes, bars, street food, fast food, you name it. It is mobbed every evening, and it's a great way to see the real residents of the city doing what they do, away from the touristy areas. I wouldn't have missed it, but I didn't know about it until I listened to the Rick Steves podcasts weeks before our trip. The 2nd day (Wed) we went to Topkapi Palace, getting there early to be first in line for tickets, because it was closed on Tuesday. Wouldn't change anything much if I had it to do over again. We worked our plan and saw what we wanted to see. Very interesting and intense city.

We were in Istanbul in May of 2011. Initially, we had planned on sightseeing on our own. The company that we were using for Ephesus (EphesusDeluxe) offered us a package deal if we also had them arrange an Istanbul tour for us.

We thought about it, and figured that since we spoke no Turkish and were very unfamiliar with the customs involved in visiting Mosques, it would be worth it, and we would get a deeper understanding of what we were seeing as well.

As it turned out, EphesusDeluxe didn't really have any guides in Istanbul...they contract out to independent guides. They connected us up with Fatih Copuroglu. Although it was more expensive than doing things on our own, it turned out to be a really worthwhile expenditure.

Fatih met us at the pier in very nice minivan, with facing rear seats. He took us to the Topkapi Palace and gave us a complete guided tour of the Palace and the Harem. We also visited the Hippodrome, the Basilica Cistern, the Aya Sofia, and the Blue Mosque. Along the way, we stopped for light snacks (simit and hazelnuts) and we chose to eat lunch at a local restaurant (The Pudding Shop). We finished up with a visit to the Nakkas Carpet/Ceramic/Jewelry complex, which was pretty low key and had some really nice wares.

Having someone with us with a real depth of knowledge really enhanced our visit, and made Istanbul a great highlight in cruise filled with spectacular sights. Fatih was a simply wonderful guide, the best we've come across in many years of cruising. I'd recommend him without hesitation.

You can reach him at fatih AT copuroglu DOT com.

Click this link for our Istanbul photos.

2094106530107228340S425x425Q85.jpg

We have always felt that Istanbul was one of the easier "DIY" ports in the cruise world. With the exception of folks with mobility problems this city is just made for walking and ocassional public transit or a taxi. We do not think that being led around like a cow in a cattle herd is the best way to see Istanbul and its sights. Walking around and doing things as you please just seems to suit this place.

Hank

We do not think that being led around like a cow in a cattle herd is the best way to see Istanbul and its sights.

Hank, I'm hoping you weren't referring to my post with your "cow in a cattle herd" statement. Having a private tour guide for the two of us was more like walking around Istanbul with a good friend who intimately knew the city.

While we "did" Rome, Athens, and Naples on our own, we really enjoyed the added dimension a good private tour guide was able to add in Istanbul.

Thanks for the response so far - one further question "Do we need to change our money to Turkish Lire "? for the Tram etc ?

There are several banks with ATMs on the big street near the closest tram stops to the port exit. The tram rides are 2 TL (Turkish Lira). You pay a machine in TL to get tokens for the tram. Get your TL at a bank ATM. The ATMs I used in Istanbul and Kusadasi all had an English option. Even if you were to find a rare cafe or shop that would accept Euros or dollars, maybe around the big tourist traps (?-don't know because I didn't try), you would pay an inflated price for THEIR currency conversion. Better off to use a bank ATM and get TL first thing off the ship.

Hank, I'm hoping you weren't referring to my post with your "cow in a cattle herd" statement. Having a private tour guide for the two of us was more like walking around Istanbul with a good friend who intimately knew the city.

While we "did" Rome, Athens, and Naples on our own, we really enjoyed the added dimension a good private tour guide was able to add in Istanbul.

Heavens no and sorry it might have come out that way. We have used the "cattle call" comment in dozens of posts over the years and we mean this remark to apply to many of the cruise line excursions where they pack 50+ into a bus. Private guides can be a darn good thing (we have hired our own private guide in Kusadasi) and even a guide for a small group can be a good investment. The main reason we do not often hire private guides is we are too darn cheap. :)

Hank

If you google istanbul tours you will get lots of options.

Have to agree on the cattle call. We never take the ships tour-too many people, the usual stop at a clip joint (or carpet store as the case may be), and wait, wait, wait for everyone to get on and off the bus.

We just did a private Ephesus tour for 4 people last month. Van, driver, tour guide and just us. It was fabulous and it was still cheaper, on a per person basis, than the cruise line tour.

We've visited Istanbul with a licensed guide twice, one with a van and driver and once using trams, taxis and our feet. We've also wandered around on our own. I'd not hesitate to take a guide without the van/driver in this city, though taxis tend to get a bit complicated with more than three people.

The OP expressed concern about getting ripped off by the cruise line. I have real trouble with their rates for private tours. On our October cruise, the cruise brochure offered a one-day tour of Istanbul with a private guide and a van for just over $1100. Our guide in Istanbul charged us less than $175 a day (plus admissions).

I used EKOL here and in Kusadasi. IMHO Istanbul is very doable DIY. The main attractions are very walkable. If I was to come here again would be all DIY!

Heavens no and sorry it might have come out that way. We have used the "cattle call" comment in dozens of posts over the years and we mean this remark to apply to many of the cruise line excursions where they pack 50+ into a bus. Private guides can be a darn good thing (we have hired our own private guide in Kusadasi) and even a guide for a small group can be a good investment. The main reason we do not often hire private guides is we are too darn cheap. :)

No problem, Hank. Just a misunderstanding:)

The OP expressed concern about getting ripped off by the cruise line. I have real trouble with their rates for private tours. On our October cruise, the cruise brochure offered a one-day tour of Istanbul with a private guide and a van for just over $1100. Our guide in Istanbul charged us less than $175 a day (plus admissions).

Agreed. Hard to tell what our price for our Istanbul tour was, since it was bundled with Ephesus the next day, but I think it was only about $160 for 7 hours for 2 people with all admissions included. The only thing we had to pay for was our own lunch (which was pretty reasonable) and gratuity for our guide.

If we get back to Istanbul again, we'll probably go DIY, but for a first time visit, it was worth every penny.

While Istanbul can easily be done on your own, a private guide for just your party will provide you with the details of the sites without the necessity of having to read as you go. Usually they will structure the tour to accommodate the locations that you want to visit and allow you as much time as you want at any one place. While transportation is not really necessary there are a few times where you have to move a mile or so and their ride in a great time saver, especially for those with only a day in town.

Since somebody mentioned EKOL I should mention that is the company we used to arrange for our private guide/tour to Ephesus. We specifically asked them for a well-educated/knowledgable guide since we had previously been to Ephesus (twice) on a cruise line tour (big mistake) and on our own and wanted get a more "in depth" tour then the norm. EKOL gave us a guide who had 2 advanced degrees and had amazing knowledge of the history and legends that surround Ephesus (he also knew the current curator of the ruins). It was am amazing few hours and made us a big fan of EKOL.

Hank

We had a great experience with nur@curiotravel.com We did tours in both Istanbul and Ephesus with the company. We were able to see twice as much as our fellow cruisers and at half the price.

Istanbul is an amazing place. It is hard to get a feel for this grand place in a week let alone a day. If you have only one day I advise a guide. It is easy to feel overwhelmed. Traffic is a nightmare. The guides get you to the head of the line in some places.

Our company we hired was the one that wrote Rick Steve's Guide Book for Istanbul.

They are called SRM and are top notch. We hired our own private guide for 4 days and were completely delighted. I know they are busy so book early. It was for us money well spent.

We used Ekol for Istanbul and Ephesus. The guide we had in Istanbul was named Cenna (Jenk). Very knowledgeable, took us all over, including going to a local place for lunch. One of our party needed a wheelchair after trying to use a walker.He was able to get one quickly for us. The guide in Ephesus also was very knowledgeable. His name was Ali. I highly recommend them.

8/99 Alaska –Celebrity, Mercury

8/01 Scandinavia/Russia –Princess, Crown Princess

1/05 Western Caribbean –Celebrity, Constellation

10/05 Hawaii –Norwegian, Pride of America

1/07 Panama Canal -Celebrity ,Constellation

8/07 Hawaii- Norwegian, Pride of America

1/08 South America – Celebrity, Infinity

10/20/08 Mediterranean – Celebrity, Century

6/11/09 Eastern Caribbean –Princess, Caribbean Princess

10/15/09 Mediterranean-Carnival Dream

6/24/10 Caribbean – RCCL Explorer of the Seas

12/3/10 Caribbean – Celebrity Millenium

5/8/2011 Caribbean (Eastern) - Caribbean Princess

10/28/2011 Turkey,Israel,Greece - Vision of the Seas (RCCL)

we just came back from 1 week in istanbul and i can tell you it felt like it wasn't enough..we fell in love with the city and the people.....everyone is so nice and polite, the city is clean, and there is so much to see......we used private tours in turkey.com or kosagan@yahoo.com they answered every question...we told them what we wanted, and they provided us with a guide named Hale..she was out of this world...the first day we walked and saw all the sites, never waiting in line, she went up and got tickets and in we went..she made the history come alive for us..the second day Hale picked us up in a van and we toured all day....she told us what to avoid when we were on on own, and what not to miss.....i wanted to do a turkish bath, and she made reservations for us at a new Haman woman only..it was beautiful and so worth the money....she was not cheap, but the best money we spent on the trip....if you have any questions e-mail me winemama88@yahoo.com and i will answer you..put CC in subject line

we just came back from 1 week in istanbul and i can tell you it felt like it wasn't enough..we fell in love with the city and the people.....everyone is so nice and polite, the city is clean, and there is so much to see......we used private tours in turkey.com or kosagan@yahoo.com they answered every question...we told them what we wanted, and they provided us with a guide named Hale..she was out of this world...the first day we walked and saw all the sites, never waiting in line, she went up and got tickets and in we went..she made the history come alive for us..the second day Hale picked us up in a van and we toured all day....she told us what to avoid when we were on on own, and what not to miss.....i wanted to do a turkish bath, and she made reservations for us at a new Haman woman only..it was beautiful and so worth the money....she was not cheap, but the best money we spent on the trip....if you have any questions e-mail me winemama88@yahoo.com and i will answer you..put CC in subject line

Thanks for posting this report. We have always loved Istanbul but have not been there in about 5 years. We will again be visiting (for 2 days) next spring and like hearing that nothing has changed. We also have found the Turks to be warm and friendly (except for the taxi drivers who are crooks).

Hank

The taxi drivers haven't changed either. Our September guide had quite a sharp-sounding conversation with one driver. We couldn't follow a word of it but it ended with the driver doing a U-turn.

But I remember a second driver differently and, while it's always wise to be prepared, I think it's a mistake to tar them all with the same brush. We'd picked up his cab in the main road below the Fatih mosque (the mausoleum of Mehmet the Conqueror is in the grounds outside), and our guide had asked him to take us to our next stop by detouring through the streets of the conservative Muslim neighbourhood below the mosque. Outside our cab we could see women very modestly dressed and men in Muslim hats and robes. Again there was an animated conversation but this time it was passed on to us. Our driver was very concerned that the guide made us aware that most Turkish people did not dress like this, which led to a rewarding conversation with him about diversity.

This conversation illustrates one reason I prefer sightseeing with a guide or someone who speaks the local language. Travel for us is about trying to learn something of the present culture as well as ancient history and the sights/sites.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived