Private Island vs. staying on ship?

Capecodbeachfront

On a few of the boards I have seen people mention waiting more than 1 hour to tender to Private Island. My experience with Royal Caribbean was not bad. Now I'm considering Half Moon Cay or Great Stirrup. My original thought was to do a cruise with a 'day at sea' instead. That is still on my radar as I have never done a 'Day at Sea." What are some of the At Sea positives?

Also is there really a difference between the Private Islands?

They really do all look the same to me.

If I'm facing a long tender line wouldn't I do just as well to enjoy the uncrowded ship?

Little unclear on your question. Are you asking us to compare HMC and Great Stirrup? And recommend whether you should go ashore or not?

First, we don't know anything about you, or your interests, so hard to make recommendations.

If you read down the board you will see many, many , many extremely positive comments about how wonderful HMC is. Given that everything except specialized excursions are free, why not go ashore? It is your first time there. How can you go wrong? HMC has two tenders with about 200 person capacity each. If you are there on a HAL ship, you will be ashore by 9:30 at the lastest.

But, you are on vacation. If you wish to stay onboard, nobody is forcing you to go ashore.

I just got off a HAL ship and the only island I would ever want to visit again was HMC. It was beautiful and very well maintained. We commented that we wished the boat would have just parked there for a couple of days and let us come and go from the beach. Definitely get off for this stop and do something fun. It is absolutely beautiful.

On a few of the boards I have seen people mention waiting more than 1 hour to tender to Private Island. My experience with Royal Caribbean was not bad. Now I'm considering Half Moon Cay or Great Stirrup. My original thought was to do a cruise with a 'day at sea' instead. That is still on my radar as I have never done a 'Day at Sea." What are some of the At Sea positives?

Also is there really a difference between the Private Islands?

They really do all look the same to me.

If I'm facing a long tender line wouldn't I do just as well to enjoy the uncrowded ship?

A day at sea “experience” will be very different from staying on the ship while the ship is at port (or at the private island). A true sea day will have many more activities scheduled. Some cruise lines may close various eating venues ( RCCL will often close the main dining room when a ship is at port or at the private island) while the ship is at port ( or at the private island. ) If your idea is to have some R&R on the ship when most passengers are off on the private island, then this will be a chance for you to do this.

If waiting in line is the issue, we have found the for a very early arrival, tender lines tend to be longest about 10 AM. If you schedule your departure earlier or later, then lines might not be an issue.

With the said, we’ve left a ship at “ busy times” and have rarely spent more than 30 minutes in any tender line.

Enjoy

M

So, don't be in a rush to leave the ship! After the "I must be first off" people go, there's seldom a line!

You can come and go at will, so go to the beach for a while, if you want, then head back to the ship. It's not an "all or nothing" choice!!!

So, don't be in a rush to leave the ship! After the "I must be first off" people go, there's seldom a line!

You can come and go at will, so go to the beach for a while, if you want, then head back to the ship. It's not an "all or nothing" choice!!!

darn near word for word what I ws gonna say . . .

there is also a way to cheat the line - but only works if you really want to be FIRST

sign up for one of the excursions that's very early - they will get priority boarding to the very first tenders.

With RC I signed up for SCUBA at CoCo Cay and we were put on the first tender to leave for the island - without standing in the line . . . the dive would have ended b4 most would have even gotten on a tender to come over ... had the dive not been canx'd due to approaching weather.

I typically wait an hour or more before getting off the ship. Personally I love he private islands. It's nice to get off the ship and walk on the beach, etc. and I live by the beach. I love sea days but when the ship is docked or anchored I at least like getting off for a little while.

But, everyone has their own preferences.

If waiting for a long tender is a concern, why not just choose a cruise where all the ports have docks? Or just wait a while and then head to the tender (2-3 after arriving at port)? You really won't enjoy your time being on the ship while it's in port. There aren't nearly as many activities as on a true Sea Day and you'll probably end up getting bored and head to the island anyway.

Archived